PDA

View Full Version : How do you explain the Standings?

brm7675
07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
The Brewers go out and bring in what many people believe are key players that improve their ball club, yet look at them at the ASB and I don't see a team that is that much better or getting value for their deals. I mean really shouldn't they be running away with this division? Then you have the Cards, a team that has more players on the DL then any other team in our division. They lost their ACE for the season, their no. 2 guy has struggled and other key injuires, yet BAM who is in first place? You can hate them all you want and their manager...but you can't dismiss their ability to win. Then you have the Pirates, a team that hasn't smelled winning since many here were babies. They have no "outstanding" stud, just gritty players getting it done. But are they ready to contend? The Cubs and Stros are where most thought they would be and then there are the Reds.....who are closer to the Cubs and Stros playing wise then the Pirates/Cards and Brewers...:thumbdown:

Stray
07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
How do I explain it?

The Pirates are getting good pitching and winning because of it.
The Cardinals are scoring a buttload of runs and winning because of it.
The Brewers have a horrible bullpen and are losing games they should win because of it.
The Reds are underachieving and are on an awful stretch w/RISP and losing close games because of it.

R_Webb18
07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
the standing are

st. louis (1st)

pittsburgh (1.5 b)
milwaukee (2 b)

cincinnati (4 b)

chicago cubs (12 b)
houston (18 b)

were 4 out cmon people. I agree we need to make to make changes but were closer to 1st than the cubs and houston. after this week it could change but at this point were not.

Vottomatic
07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I overheard Chris Carpenter explaining it to his son like this:

Brandon Phillips has a big mouth and is a meanie. Cueto likes to hurt people by kicking. That's why those mean ole Reds aren't going to win the division and are in 4th place.

will5979
07-06-2011, 05:08 PM
were 4 out cmon people. I agree we need to make to make changes but were closer to 1st than the cubs and houston. after this week it could change but at this point were not.

Keep telling yourself those things, the truth is we are running out of time brother.

BLark = HOF
07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
How do I explain it?

The Pirates are getting good pitching and winning because of it.
The Cardinals are scoring a buttload of runs and winning because of it.
The Brewers have a horrible bullpen and are losing games they should win because of it.
The Reds are underachieving and are on an awful stretch w/RISP and losing close games because of it.

Uhm the Cards have only scored 1 more run heading into today than we have. Bad argument.

redssince75
07-06-2011, 06:27 PM
It's really not that hard to explain...

The Stros and Cubs flat out suck. We are sucking and getting worse. The brewers and cards are just ok and will be close to each other all year. The Pirates are on a hot streak but will fall back to 3rd or 4th (depending on what we do) by the end of the year. If they finish over .500 they should call it a successful season.

Stray
07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Uhm the Cards have only scored 1 more run heading into today than we have. Bad argument.

I'm not comparing the Reds and the Cardinals, I was saying why they are where they are in the standings. The Cardinals offense is the main reason they're in first. Cincinnati's performance in close baseball games is why we're in 4th.

R_Webb18
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Keep telling yourself those things, the truth is we are running out of time brother.

telling myself what? did you read what i said? after this week you could be right but right now were closer to 1st than to 5th or 6th

TheBigLebowski
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Allow me to offer the first serious response to the query.

The standings are arranged in descending order - the team with the most wins is in first and the team with the least amount is in last.

Should two or more teams have the same amount of wins, winning percentage is then used as the tiebreaker during the season. Say, for instance, the Reds played 20 games and went 10 and 10. Say then that the Cardinals played 21 games at that same point in the season and went 10-11 - the Reds would have a better winning percentage and would be ranked higher at that time in the standings.

Should a statistical tie in records of two or more teams present itself once the regular season is concluded, a 15 minute exam on the importance of left fielders and shortstops to the respective successes of the involved managers is administered. The manager who gives the best explanation earns his side a playoff spot. Gotta say, folks - if this thing comes down to a tie, you gotta like our chances there.

texasdave
07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Allow me to offer the first serious response to the query.

The standings are arranged in descending order - the team with the most wins is in first and the team with the least amount is in last.

Should two or more teams have the same amount of wins, winning percentage is then used as the tiebreaker during the season. Say, for instance, the Reds played 20 games and went 10 and 10. Say then that the Cardinals played 21 games at that same point in the season and went 10-11 - the Reds would have a better winning percentage and would be ranked higher at that time in the standings.

Should a statistical tie in records of two or more teams present itself once the regular season is concluded, a 15 minute exam on the importance of left fielders and shortstops to the respective successes of the involved managers is administered. The manager who gives the best explanation earns his side a playoff spot. Gotta say, folks - if this thing comes down to a tie, you gotta like our chances there.

Written or oral?

will5979
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
telling myself what? did you read what i said? after this week you could be right but right now were closer to 1st than to 5th or 6th

I DID read what you said. And that is the same $h!t I have heard fans like you, Dusty Baker, and Reds owners say all damn year long. Get real man, this team AS IS WILL NOT WIN THIS DIVISION...now if the owners would step up and make some changes i.e. trade for Reyes, bring up minors, something its possible to win this division.

DatDudeCC
07-07-2011, 01:31 PM

The Cardinals seem to score 5-6 runs consistently where the Reds will go 2 runs, 3 runs, 10 runs. It all evens out in the end for total runs scored, but where the Cardinals would win 2 games scoring 5, we win only one with our current trend.

The Reds score their runs in bunches and the Cards score consistently, which is why they have a better record.