PDA

View Full Version : Angels a trade partner?

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 01:56 AM
The Angels have two quality short stops who are having productive years. Wonder what it would take to pry either Aybar (my preference) or Izturis away from them. Go get one Walt.

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 01:59 AM
They want a power hitter, not gonna get the deal done with Gomes. Stubbs or Heisey would be the candidates.

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 02:13 AM
They want a power hitter, not gonna get the deal done with Gomes. Stubbs or Heisey would be the candidates.

They need a catcher. I really don't want to part with Ramon, but the Reds really need to shore up the SS position. What about Alonzo?

mroby85
07-07-2011, 02:24 AM
The Angels have two quality short stops who are having productive years. Wonder what it would take to pry either Aybar (my preference) or Izturis away from them. Go get one Walt.

I would be all over Eric Aybar, but I can't think they would be interested in trading him.

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Trumbo has 13 homers and 36 RBI at 1B for the Angels
They do need power, or at least they have said they would like a power hitter

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 02:52 AM
They've got nothing from the catcher's position this year. That being said, I'm not sure Ramon would get it done or not.

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 02:57 AM
I would be all over Eric Aybar, but I can't think they would be interested in trading him.

Understood. Izturis has actually had a better year as he's in the top 5 in baseball at the shortstop pos in obp. Aybar hasn't had the numbers this year that Izturis has, however Aybar turned 27 in Jan and Izturis will turn 31 in Sept.

DocRed
07-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Gomes has hella powa! Have you seen his arms?!? Aybar straight up for Gomes I say.....

texasdave
07-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Gomes has hella powa!
Is there a cure for that?

Have you seen his arms?!?
No. Are they missing?!?

Aybar straight up for Gomes I say.....
Not until we locate his arms I say.....

:)

brm7675
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
to make a trade you have to have a GM who is willing to deal, Walt isn't.

Who Dey Time
07-07-2011, 12:02 PM
to make a trade you have to have a GM who is willing to deal, Walt isn't.

I think Walt has shown willingness to deal when the circumstances warrant. He will not make a knee jerk trade to appease the lunatic fringe of the Reds fanbase. Thankfully, he sees the bigger picture more than those dolts.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I think Walt has shown willingness to deal when the circumstances warrant. He will not make a knee jerk trade to appease the lunatic fringe of the Reds fanbase. Thankfully, he sees the bigger picture more than those dolts.

when? outside of the Rolen deal what great trade has Walt made? If you can watch this present Reds team and not see that some moves need to be made you need help.

Who Dey Time
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
when? outside of the Rolen deal what great trade has Walt made? If you can watch this present Reds team and not see that some moves need to be made you need help.

Look back at his entire career. He is not shy to make a move when he thinks it benefits the team both short and long term. The Rolen example certainly fits and we were in on Cliff Lee last year before Texas simply made a better offer.

This current team, for the most part, has been built from within and there will be some moves made to adjust the roster. But where Walt is smarter than the lunatic fan is that you should never make a deal just to make a deal. If there is a deal to be made that betters the team, he'll make it. But he won't trade a guy just to say there I did something.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Look back at his entire career. He is not shy to make a move when he thinks it benefits the team both short and long term. The Rolen example certainly fits and we were in on Cliff Lee last year before Texas simply made a better offer.

This current team, for the most part, has been built from within and there will be some moves made to adjust the roster. But where Walt is smarter than the lunatic fan is that you should never make a deal just to make a deal. If there is a deal to be made that betters the team, he'll make it. But he won't trade a guy just to say there I did something.

No you make deals to improve your team if your team needs improvement, which I think it is easy to see this team does. Yet nothing...yep why to keep your "investors" happy and turning out to watch their product.

texasdave
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
This team has had huge holes in LF and SS for roughly three years and Walt has done nothing, IMO, to try to rectify those situations. (Unless you consider signing over-the-hill shortstops and never-was leftfielders as legitimate attempts to solve the problem.) What he is waiting on is anyone's guess.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Erick Aybar is okay. I'm not that impressed with him. He is 27 years old. Has sported an OBP around .315 the last two seasons (not that great). Has little power (5 HR's so far, and 5 HR's all of last season). Does have speed (17 SB's, caught twice - this season). Rarely walks (12 this season). He had 21 errors at SS last season.

He is a slight upgrade at best. I'd want more for Ramon than that. Also, Aybar is making $3M this season. They'd have to take Renteria off our hands.

Ramon Hernandez/Renteria for Aybar/top prospect.

Who Dey Time
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
No you make deals to improve your team if your team needs improvement, which I think it is easy to see this team does. Yet nothing...yep why to keep your "investors" happy and turning out to watch their product.

A real front office isn't like a message board where you can simply throw out any trade idea.....see your 750 threads on would you do this.....

To make a trade there are many factors involved:

-Does the acquired player make us better?
-Are we giving up too much?
-Are we sacrificing the long term for only 2011?
-What are the financials?

To date, the Reds (nor any other MLB team for that matter) have seen a deal that is worth of consumating. That will possibly change as we get closer to the deadline but a trade just to appease those who think like you really don't help the club much.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Giants farm system isn't very good. You have to go all the way down to Advanced Single A to find anybody worth looking at. They have a 22 year old OFer named Gary Brown, batting over .300, with 34 SB's, and some power. They also have a third baseman named Diminguez, batting over .300 with like 15 HR's. Not much to trade for.

Seems like the Angels triple A players are all old. They do have a 25 year old reliever, Kohn, who has tasted the majors with some success last year, but got rocked this year. His triple A stats are respectable though.

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Giants farm system isn't very good. You have to go all the way down to Advanced Single A to find anybody worth looking at. They have a 22 year old OFer named Gary Brown, batting over .300, with 34 SB's, and some power. They also have a third baseman named Diminguez, batting over .300 with like 15 HR's. Not much to trade for.

Seems like the Angels triple A players are all old. They do have a 25 year old reliever, Kohn, who has tasted the majors with some success last year, but got rocked this year. His triple A stats are respectable though.

If I'm the Reds I'm not looking for minor league players, if that's the case than I'm not looking to move Hernandez. I want proven mlb players.

Hillsdale87
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Eric Surkamp is a lefty with a 1.61 ERA and 7-3 record at AA. Not sure if they'd be willing to give him up for Ramon, but he's somebody worth checking out

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 04:57 PM
If I'm the Reds I'm not looking for minor league players, if that's the case than I'm not looking to move Hernandez. I want proven mlb players.

Why would a legit contender and reigning World Champion (Giants) want to give up any of their major leaguers?