PDA

View Full Version : Cozart called up, per ORG

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90578

About stinking time. This should have been done awhile ago.

TheBigLebowski
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90578

About stinking time. This should have been done awhile ago.

Start him in the 6 hole and bat him 2nd. Today, dude.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I wonder what the corresponding move is? Janish or Renteria?

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I know people have been clamoring for this to happen for awhile now. I hope people curb their expectations of the kid. No matter what he's done in the minors he's a rookie and he's gonna have his struggles. Look at Bruce when he came up. He had probably one of the best first months in the majors of any player I can remember in a long time, and yet there are still times when we get pissed at him. Let's give the kid room to grow and know that there will be ups and downs.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 08:22 AM
no joke right? i have no clue what to look for but im atleast happy to see what he can do.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I have looked all over the internet and found no confirmation of this. So I'm strickly going by what The ORG says. The ORG did sticky it, so someone must know something, right?

I've looked at mlb.com, Sheldon's blog and twitter, Fay's blog and twitter, Redleg Nation, Red's minor leagues, official Reds site, Red Reporter, and other sites that have mlb transactions, and there is no confirmation of this anywhere but on the ORG.

Hmmm.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I have looked all over the internet and found no confirmation of this. So I'm strickly going by what The ORG says. The ORG did sticky it, so someone must know something, right?

I've looked at mlb.com, Sheldon's blog and twitter, Fay's blog and twitter, Redleg Nation, Red's minor leagues, official Reds site, Red Reporter, and other sites that have mlb transactions, and there is no confirmation of this anywhere but on the ORG.

Hmmm.

yea hope its 4real

Hillsdale87
07-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I want Janish to be with the team at the end of the season because he is a great defensive sub and Renteria is the last bat I want to use off the bench anyway. However, I hope Janish gets sent down to AAA and is able to get some confidence in his offense. Nobody expected him to put up great numbers, but this has been ridiculous. The thing I can't understand about Janish is the lack of power. Not that he was ever going to hit 30 HRs, but he was hitting the ball pretty hard last year. This year it feels like even if he gets an XBH it's because of a bloop in a good spot.

drowg14
07-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Better late than never. Although it would have been better early than late.

Congrats to Mr. Cozart

izzy's dad
07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
If this isn't true I will have Cozart blue balls... again.

Chris Sabowned
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately we waited until he started slumping (.150 in July) to bring him up. But I predict this call up will get him going. Even slumping he'll be an upgrade over what Janish is giving us right now anyway.

Todd Gack
07-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, I'm sure we'll go on a 10 game winning streak now that he's been called up. :rolleyes:

mr. red
07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
After seeing how pathetic Janish looked last night (and all season) and how bad Volquez has been, I am more inclined to believe that this move is happening. I think the speculation comes from Fay's Twitter :RT @MGrable can u confirm cozart has been called up from Louisville or not official until later// hearing could be moves, nothing official

I hope this is true, but we should have made this move and brought up Sappelt a month ago when they were knocking the cover off the ball. Still happy if it is true though...

redsfan1995
07-07-2011, 10:02 AM
So is Janish going to Triple AAA? I just hope that they don't cut Renteria because if they would cut him and Cozart dosent live up to the hype we will be stuck with Janish basically thats what the Reds have now.

Who Dey Time
07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
If this is true it wouldn't shock me to see a pitcher be sent down. Maybe Volquez, maybe Arroyo to the DL with another move in waiting for Sunday for Wood or Willis.

What about Stubbs to AAA for Cozart? I have no problem with a Lewis, Heisey, Bruce outfield for the next few weeks.

I will say that if Cozart is up and its either Janish or Renteria going it should be Janish sent out.

texasdave
07-07-2011, 10:22 AM
You can flip a coin between Janish and Renteria. I don't believe either are major league shortstops at this point in time. I think Janish could reach that level and Renteria will never see that level again. But neither has a strong argument to stay; so either could go.

WAR per Fangraphs:

Renteria .1
Janish -.2
OCab -.2

All three are hovering near replacement level.

mr. red
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
A Zack Cozart is registered at the Reds team hotel in Milwaukee. Per Fay's Twitter

FireDusty
07-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I can't find anything on this.

mr. red
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I can't find anything on this.

Join Twitter if you haven't already. He's registered at the team hotel.

Stray
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I think the best move would be to send Janish down. What kinda sucks for Cozart is how much the fans have been begging for him to be called up, and how bad the season has gone lately. Some might have unreasonable expectations like he is the AAA player that will come up and save the season. I just hope he gives us a spark.

texasdave
07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
A Zack Cozart is registered at the Reds team hotel in Milwaukee. Per Fay's Twitter

How would Fay know that? I worked at a hotel and we would never give out that sort of information.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
How would Fay know that? I worked at a hotel and we would never give out that sort of information.

he paid the guy

texasdave
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
he paid the guy

That'll work.

I worked for a Westin for a couple of years and most of the sports teams coming through here stayed there. We simply were not allowed to give that sort of information out to anyone. That is all I am saying.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
As long as Dusty Baker is the manager of this team, it really doesn't matter whom is on the roster, he will find a way to mess things up, mismanage or poorly manage the team. The fact is Dusty Baker is a people's person, not a pro baseball manager.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
That'll work.

I worked for a Westin for a couple of years and most of the sports teams coming through here stayed there. We simply were not allowed to give that sort of information out to anyone. That is all I am saying.

im sure your right but either way it sounds like hes right.

Who Dey Time
07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
That'll work.

Don't most of the big name stars check in under an alias? Obviously Cozart wouldn't apply but I was more curious than anything else.

drowg14
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I watched a piece on ESPN once a couple years back, I think it may have been during the Beijing Olympics actually, that a lot of the NBA players, like Kobe and Dwight, checked in with super hero names. They made it sound like that was a typical thing for the bigger named guys like Who Dey alluded too. But yea, I'm sure Cozart doesn't fall under that list.

I think I agree with one of the posters in the ORG that Fay probably called the hotel and asked for Zach Cozart's room if he got this information. He might have heard from a source with the Bats he left the team, and tried is luck at the hotel.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Don't most of the big name stars check in under an alias? Obviously Cozart wouldn't apply but I was more curious than anything else.

I just called the hotel. They have no Zach Cozart there. They do have a Jack Kozarto there though. Probably Zach's alias. :D

texasdave
07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I just called the hotel. They have no Zach Cozart there. They do have a Jack Kozarto there though. Probably Zach's alias. :D

Do they also have a Juan Fey registered at the hotel? :)

Petitt33
07-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Don't shoot the messenger but a buddy of mine who lives in Cincy says Renteria has been DFA'd. I don't know if I buy it just yet, but I thought I'd pass it along...

KYRedLeg
07-07-2011, 11:44 AM
johnfayman John Fay
Interesting: @JohnnySmith28 tweeted Cozart move yesterday afternoon. First tweet ever. Says Renteria is being DFA'd. #Reds may a leak.

:clap:

Redsnake
07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Don't be surprised if Dusty pulls another "Todd Frazier".
Let Cozart sit while Renteria and Janish plays. Especially if the Reds move a pitcher to bring up Cozart.

I have faith that Dusty will not change a thing.

jaydeebee21
07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
He's definitely up confirmed by Yonder Alonso on twitter

texasdave
07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Yonder Alonso - the new go-to guy on baseball transactions. Nice.

drowg14
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Don't shoot the messenger but a buddy of mine who lives in Cincy says Renteria has been DFA'd. I don't know if I buy it just yet, but I thought I'd pass it along...

IF this were true, it could mean they plan to move Sappelt to the 40 man possibly?

jaydeebee21
07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
IF this were true, it could mean they plan to move Sappelt to the 40 man possibly?

No point adding Sappelt until he's called up. Dontrelle Willis is more likely.

drowg14
07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Actually yea, that makes more sense. People have been clamoring for Sap for awhile now though, I was more just reacting to that I guess.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Shout out to cinreds21
-The Insider-thanks for the info.

texasdave
07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
@johnfayman //The Cozart part is done as of yesterday, the Renteria part is causing tension within. Could be interesting...

A Fay tweet. My guess is Walt wants Janish and Baker is pushing for another helping of Veteran Creaminess.

cincyforever
07-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I wonder why Walt is all of a sudden not happy with what he has?!?!? NOTHING has changed Walt, you MORON.

At least we are 44-44, still in the race. Hopefully something kicks this team into gear and soon because there is plenty of time to win the division but that doesn't mean sit back and get shutout 1-0 and then blast a team by scoring 9 runs later on. CONSISTENCY, CINCINNATI!

Old NDN
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Shout out to cinreds21
-The Insider-thanks for the info.

Interesting/amusing that someone from ORG scooped Fay, Sheldon, and McCoy on this.

DocRed
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
A Fay tweet. My guess is Walt wants Janish and Baker is pushing for another helping of Veteran Creaminess.

Exactly......I'll be pissed if Janish goes down.

mroby85
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Count me in the Renteria camp. He's a better offensive player in my opinion. If Cozart is good defensively, you don't need a defensive replacement for him. Renteria could be used as a pinch hitter, and has proved hes a big time player in big situations. If you DFA Renteria he's gone. Janish has options, and could be brought back if this didn't work out. This is an obvious choice to me to go with Edgar.

DocRed
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Count me in the Renteria camp. He's a better offensive player in my opinion. If Cozart is good defensively, you don't need a defensive replacement for him. Renteria could be used as a pinch hitter, and has proved hes a big time player in big situations. If you DFA Renteria he's gone. Janish has options, and could be brought back if this didn't work out. This is an obvious choice to me to go with Edgar.

Cozart may be a good defensive SS but he is not better than Janish....Janish is GG caliber.

bigredmechanism
07-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Janish is GG caliber.

That's what I keep hearing, but yet here we are in the season and he boots routine balls. I see him make spinning pirouettes for outs one inning, and then a grounder right to him eats him up 3 innings later.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I think this move is reaction rather than proaction,which is disappointing.It seems influenced by a general consensus and public outcry.There must have been dissension,and a more powerful motivator expediting this or these moves.Nevertheless,nothing has changed to make this a better move now ,than 3 or 4 weeks ago,but I'm pleased.

texasdave
07-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Nevertheless,nothing has changed to make this a better move now ,than 3 or 4 weeks ago,but I'm pleased.

This is the part that is hard to fathom. Nothing really has changed but NOW it is a good move when a month ago it wasn't? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

KYRedLeg
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
This is the part that is hard to fathom. Nothing really has changed but NOW it is a good move when a month ago it wasn't? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

No, it was a good move 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's a good move now. It's no better of a move now, so what was the catalyst? Public outcry? The same exact hole has been prevalent in the team for a month, so it's aggravating that the move happens now rather than a month ago.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I feel that somehow we all had a part of this decision,along with money(in some capacity).Of course,we are the money.

DocRed
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I think this move is reaction rather than proaction,which is disappointing.It seems influenced by a general consensus and public outcry.There must have been dissension,and a more powerful motivator expediting this or these moves.Nevertheless,nothing has changed to make this a better move now ,than 3 or 4 weeks ago,but I'm pleased.

EXACTLY....this is more of a political move to calm the masses rather than something they want to do IMO, otherwise they would have done it 6 weeks ago. I give them ZERO credit.

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I can guarantee that the pleading of message board "experts" has zero to do with the running of this team. If it did, Dusty and any manager would be fired after every loss and every guy who takes a 0 for would be chained to the bench.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I can guarantee that the pleading of message board "experts" has zero to do with the running of this team. If it did, Dusty and any manager would be fired after every loss and every guy who takes a 0 for would be chained to the bench.

Your right the Reds are run via a dart board and a the magic 8 ball from what I can see...

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Your right the Reds are run via a dart board and a the magic 8 ball from what I can see...

That's why they won the division last year?

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Cozart may be a good defensive SS but he is not better than Janish....Janish is GG caliber.

Janish is good on defense, but probably overrated based on the fact he is such a horrible offensive player, that conventional wisdom is "He must be an AWESOME glove man, if he plays at all"

I am in the keep Renteria and send Janish down camp
Janish can always be recalled, Renteria can hit and could have a bit of value if he gets hot (which he historically does as the season goes on)

brm7675
07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
That's why they won the division last year?

No they won last year because an aging player had one great last season, another player had an incredible 2.5 months, a breakout star appeared and was your MVP and the rest of your division sucked butt. So the manager and GM really didn't have to do much...

brm7675
07-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Janish is good on defense, but probably overrated based on the fact he is such a horrible offensive player, that conventional wisdom is "He must be an AWESOME glove man, if he plays at all"

Janish can always be recalled, Renteria can hit and could have a bit of value if he gets hot (which he historically does as the season goes on)

There is zero justification in keeping Edgar...

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
No they won last year because an aging player had one great last season, another player had an incredible 2.5 months, a breakout star appeared and was your MVP and the rest of your division sucked butt. So the manager and GM really didn't have to do much...

LOL, the manager and GM do not get credit for wins, only losses
Good thinking:thumbup: Lloyd Christmas style

brm7675
07-07-2011, 01:55 PM
LOL, the manager and GM do not get credit for wins, only losses
Good thinking:thumbup: Lloyd Christmas style

I have yet to see either of the two you speak of do anything that led to last years wins...

BAKER12
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I have yet to see either of the two you speak of do anything that led to last years wins...

this topic :deadhorse:
both of us have different opinions:beerme:

DocRed
07-07-2011, 02:23 PM

What exactly about his .229 ave, 271 slg and .575 OPS makes you think he can hit?

Janish's numbers are nearly identical and everyone agrees he has been terrible offensively. .227 ave, .259 slg and .530 OPS

"Renteria gets hotter as the season goes on" is a myth propagated by Dusty as well....last year Renteria hit .205 in July and .222 in August.

jrandal9
07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Would just like to say that I will predict Cozart gets his first hit tonight and we get the W. #CozartforSS

AintlifeGrande
07-07-2011, 03:09 PM
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ericcrawford/2011/07/07/reports-zack-cozart-headed-to-reds-finally/

AintlifeGrande
07-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Per the Louisville Courier.Its official.

DocRed
07-07-2011, 03:11 PM
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ericcrawford/2011/07/07/reports-zack-cozart-headed-to-reds-finally/

LOL at the "(finally)" part..:)

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
this topic :deadhorse:
both of us have different opinions:beerme:

And neither one of your opinions are as good as mine. :laugh: :beerme: ;) :p :D

Goose
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
I would send Janish down and DFA Renteria. Cozart should be playing everyday for awhile. Janish can keep playing at AAA. Cairo can be emergency SS should Cozart get hurt, then bring up Janish the next day. We could use a bat off the bench, and that isn't Janish or Renteria.

KYRedLeg
07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
The last thing I would do is leave the team short one infielder, when your (then) starting SS has never played in the majors before. He goes from AAA straight to MLB, with no existing SS to work with, and cover him if he gets blasted?

What's the point of dropping both of your SS's and leaving an open spot on the 25 man? Who else would you bring up, and why?

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
johnfayman John Fay
RT @Reds: Reds promote IF Zack Cozart (#2) and RHP Carlos Fisher, option IF Paul Janish and RHP Edinson Volquez.
17 seconds ago

Krawhitham
07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Janish & EV send down

Fisher up

This is a horrible move unless Cozart gets 95% of the playing time. If Renteria ends up with more (or any really) playing time it hurts the team

mr. red
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Reds promote Zack Cozart and recall Carlos Fisher and option Paul Janish and Edinson Volquez

Goose
07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Bring up Frazier if you have to have another infielder. At least he can hit. I'd be happy with Sappelt or Alonso too. The point is if you are bringing up Cozart, he should be playing every day. Why have backups who can't hit. Cozart supposedly doesn't need a defensive replacement, so why have Janish on the team. He can go to AAA and maybe find his stroke to where it was last year. Even then, he stays down unless Cozart completely flops. I just don't see him hitting nearly as bad as Janish has. Renteria has been useless as a fielder and hitter. Even if Cozart flops, he won't be worse than what has been out on the field this year. Move both SS off the team, and Dusty will have to play the rookie.

Krawhitham
07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Bring up Frazier if you have to have another infielder. At least he can hit.

.267 in AAA

Goose
07-07-2011, 04:31 PM
.847 OPS

Krawhitham
07-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Strikes out 25% of the time

BurgervilleBuck
07-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Reds tweeted:

Reds promote IF Zack Cozart (#2) and RHP Carlos Fisher, option IF Paul Janish and RHP Edinson Volquez. Cozart make ML debut when he plays.
Note that it's "when" he plays, though it's probably not going to be tonight.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
so either willis or wood start sunday?

Goose
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd take my chances with Frazier over Renteria or Janish right now. But I did say if you have to have another infielder in response to the other poster.

Krawhitham
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
He was a .300 hitter in AA
dropped to a .264 hitter (.258 in 2010) in AAA

so he is what a .228 hitter at the majors

Krawhitham
07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
I'd take my chances with Frazier over Renteria or Janish right now. But I did say if you have to have another infielder in response to the other poster.

he has not played SS since 2008

Goose
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't want him at SS.

Krawhitham
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
.953 at 3rd

texasdave
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Score one for Veteran Creaminess. I am sure Dusty had a big old smile on his face after that discussion.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Do I understand right;that Volquez must clear waivers?

Stray
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I am really out of the know when it comes to player options and such.

Was it just a case of demoting Janish because he had options and Edgar did not? As a safe way of protecting yourself if the move doesn't work out well? Not that Edgar or Janish are good at all, but I would understand the thinking if that is the case.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
cozart is starting

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I am really out of the know when it comes to player options and such.

Was it just a case of demoting Janish because he had options and Edgar did not? As a safe way of protecting yourself if the move doesn't work out well? Not that Edgar or Janish are good at all, but I would understand the thinking if that is the case.

im guessin so

texasdave
07-07-2011, 05:14 PM
If you are worried about keeping Edgar Renteria as some sort of fallback position. You got bigger worries than you realize.

BurgervilleBuck
07-07-2011, 05:16 PM
cozart is starting
And Stubbs is leading off. Oy.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Don't tell me Dusty has Stubbs (CF) followed by Cozart (SS) in the lineup? Is this some kind of superstitious thing with Krusty?

malcontent
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
From ORG:

jimcallisBA Tweeted about him earlier. Solid regular, better than Janish or Renteria. About time #Reds called him up.

Only what many of us here have been saying for what feels like an eternity.

Also, John Fay deserves a lot of credit for staking out that position publicly.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Do I understand right;that Volquez must clear waivers?Apparently he did the 1st time he went to AAA,and can be optioned without other consequences until 7/31/11.I still don't have a good handle on options. Link from ORG:http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90541&page=5 Another link explaining options:http://baseballanalysts.com/archives...axes_and_1.php

Krawhitham
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
not playing tonight

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/89429578631753729

I knew this was a horrible idea, anything that gets Renteria more playing time is a horrible idea

R_Webb18
07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
not playing tonight

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/89429578631753729

I knew this was a horrible idea, anything that gets Renteria more playing time is a horrible idea

lol? its going be every other day just like it was for just a lil bit atleast. if u thought cozart was playin 2day ur dumb.

DocRed
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
It's getting hot...so Renteria is warming up like a microwave.....take it to the BANK!!!!!!!

texasdave
07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
It's getting hot...so Renteria is warming up like a microwave.....take it to the BANK!!!!!!!

.531 OPS since June 1st. Your popcorn will take about 2 hours to pop in that microwave. :D

Todd Gack
07-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Renteria is 7/22 vs Greinke. I think that's a good enough reason for Edgar to start.

DocRed
07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
.531 OPS since June 1st. Your popcorn will take about 2 hours to pop in that microwave. :D

Dusty would not lie about that.....:confused:

Nelly has nuttin on Renteria.....
YouTube - ‪Nelly‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRgtofyvUIA)