PDA

View Full Version : Willis to Start Sunday

reds44
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
"Dontrelle will start sunday and hopefully he brings us energy"--Dusty on Inside Pitch

And there you go.

Tom Servo
07-07-2011, 08:21 PM
If this was 2006 I'd be JACKED.

As it is in 2011, I'm reasonably intrigued but with low expectations.

OldXOhio
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
He's still only 29. There's reason for guarded optimism here.

Will M
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I like this. Sending the same players out there night after night and hoping they turn things around is fine about May 1rst. By mid season its past time to do something. Adding Cozart & Willis qualifies as 'something'. Is it as good as trading for Hardy & Felix Hernandez? No. But its better than the status quo. The status quo was going to fail. This may yet fail but we don't know. It has a chance.

dougdirt
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Willis has looked solid in Louisville. Good control. Better velocity than I expected (low 90's, touching mid 90's). Certainly worth a shot.

Benihana
07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I like it.

Sea Ray
07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Willis has looked solid in Louisville. Good control. Better velocity than I expected (low 90's, touching mid 90's). Certainly worth a shot.

That's the main thing. If he has control he will be an improved pitcher

mdccclxix
07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Every year a veteran pitcher makes a good run of it, I'd love to see Willis revive his career for the Reds. I'd love to see him become our #2.

traderumor
07-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I guess the Jim Bowden days revisited begins--start throwing retreads, career minor leaguers and other marginal arms at the wall and see if something sticks. Ugh. Maybe we can bring Gully back for a special assignment to start fixin' 'em again.

RedsManRick
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I guess the Jim Bowden days revisited begins--start throwing retreads, career minor leaguers and other marginal arms at the wall and see if something sticks. Ugh. Maybe we can bring Gully back for a special assignment to start fixin' 'em again.

But Bowden's speciality was bringing in never-were's. Willis is a legitimate has-been.

I(heart)Freel
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM

The difference is, in the Bowden years, those pitchers would be slotted for #3 in the rotation out of spring. Not be signed to a minor league deal with zero risk, only to have to earn their way onto the big club in July.

Apples and oranges, I'd say.

kaldaniels
07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Not that I expect it to happen at all...but the coolest possible way for things to go this season would be for a re-born Willis to lead the Reds down the stretch to the division crown.

oregonred
07-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Definitely worth a shot to catch lightning in a bottle. Volquez is simply painful to watch and needs to bore AAA audiences to tears for at least a month. Addition by subtraction.

VR
07-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Will he bat cleanup?

traderumor
07-08-2011, 11:55 AM
But Bowden's speciality was bringing in never-were's. Willis is a legitimate has-been.Faint praise indeed. :)

traderumor
07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
The difference is, in the Bowden years, those pitchers would be slotted for #3 in the rotation out of spring. Not be signed to a minor league deal with zero risk, only to have to earn their way onto the big club in July.

Apples and oranges, I'd say.That is what it evolved to, but it didn't start that way. He had a few minor success stories, so he decided it should be a game plan. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but only a bit.

OldXOhio
07-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Will he bat cleanup?

No 2nd

camisadelgolf
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
But Bowden's speciality was bringing in never-were's. Willis is a legitimate has-been.
He took could-have-beens and tried to turn them into eventual has-beens. I hate to give him credit for anything whatsoever--especially related to pitching--but sometimes it actually worked. Pete Schourek, Mike Remlinger, Jeff Shaw, Dave Burba, Elmer Dessens, Gabe White, Steve Parris, Ron Villone . . .

kaldaniels
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not expecting miracles from Dontrelle...but if he continues to be solid...what is the end game with him here in Cincy? Does he walk after this year?

mattfeet
07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
I sure hope not. Id gladly give him another chance next year if he stays remotely close to how he's been pitching. We've had a chance to win every game he's pitched so far.

-Matt

Caveat Emperor
07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm not expecting miracles from Dontrelle...but if he continues to be solid...what is the end game with him here in Cincy? Does he walk after this year?

He's the first arm to go if the Reds bring in another pitcher at the deadline. Though, admittedly, I'd be kinda sorry to see him go. D-Train starts were appointment television back when he first came up.

reds1869
07-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I'd love to see the Reds move D-Train into the pen if another starter is brought in. He would be a tremendous long man going forward if he is willing to fill the role. Never hurts to have more than one arm capable of eating bullpen innings.

*BaseClogger*
07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Has he hit 90 mph with his fastball yet? My expectations are still pretty low...

fearofpopvol1
07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
His slider was looking pretty wicked last night. To me, I would say he's like a LH Arroyo. Not in his mechanics, but what I would predict his line to be like in a normal Arroyo year. Too bad we can't get rid of Arroyo and keep Willis.