PDA

View Full Version : Fan dies at Rangers game after Josh Hamilton throws ball to him

paulrichjr
07-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Just awful to watch. I hope Josh isn't too hard on himself after this.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=awgcLS6sFW0

Edskin
07-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Just horrible. If that is his son next to him, I just can't even imagine...the Rangers announcers are going catch some flak for laughing about it as well...of course, it really did look quite innocent because you can't see how far he falls. Just absolutely awful for all involved.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-08-2011, 01:47 AM
This is a terrible tragedy. You see this scene play out countless times in every single ballpark every day, most of the time with kids. I'm shocked what happened tonight.

I wonder if this will put an abrupt halt on balls being thrown into the stands like that, not just in Texas but everywhere.

Condolensces to the family and to the son :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

camisadelgolf
07-08-2011, 04:07 AM
nm

LvJ
07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
A firefighter nonetheless. So tragic. :(

George Anderson
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Tragic.

I hope Hamilton is able to deal with this considering his past.

Unassisted
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I wonder if this will put an abrupt halt on balls being thrown into the stands like that, not just in Texas but everywhere.

It might. It certainly should in Arlington, now that they've had two incidents of fans falling while chasing balls.

CySeymour
07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Tragic.

I hope Hamilton is able to deal with this considering his past.

This. I know I would have a heck of a time dealing with it, and I have been lucky enough not to have any chemical dependancies. God speed to the mans family, and to Josh.

Homer Bailey
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't know how the Rangers didn't have nets in that area of the park. Seemed pretty easy to prevent this one.

SirFelixCat
07-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Brutal for all involved. T&P's

Chip R
07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't know how the Rangers didn't have nets in that area of the park. Seemed pretty easy to prevent this one.

How many stadiums have that though? Are you going to put nets around the upper tiers and outfield walls because some hooplehead wants to dive for a foul ball?

traderumor
07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Could happen to anyone, not sure "hooplehead" is appropriate, esp. since in this case it seems to be directed at this guy who died from a tragic accident.

Chip R
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Could happen to anyone, not sure "hooplehead" is appropriate, esp. since in this case it seems to be directed at this guy who died from a tragic accident.

Not necessarily directed at this guy but there are a lot of fans who will risk life and limb and other's safety diving for a foul ball. Those railings are there for a reason. If there was no railing or the railing broke, that's another thing.

There has been a lot of people wanting netting extended down the seats so line drives and broken (and whole) bats don't go into the seats and hurt unsuspecting people. People aginst that complain it will mar their view of the game (nevermind that the most expensive seats in the park are behind the plate where there is netting.) I'd like to see the netting extended down the seats before they put up nets around the tiers of the ballpark and OF walls.

Ghosts of 1990
07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Very, very sad. Life is an odd thing.

kaldaniels
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Very, very sad. Life is an odd thing.

Seeing that the Happy Youngster lives on, yes indeed it is.

traderumor
07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Not necessarily directed at this guy but there are a lot of fans who will risk life and limb and other's safety diving for a foul ball. Those railings are there for a reason. If there was no railing or the railing broke, that's another thing.

There has been a lot of people wanting netting extended down the seats so line drives and broken (and whole) bats don't go into the seats and hurt unsuspecting people. People aginst that complain it will mar their view of the game (nevermind that the most expensive seats in the park are behind the plate where there is netting.) I'd like to see the netting extended down the seats before they put up nets around the tiers of the ballpark and OF walls.gotcha. Agreed on the netting extended down the seats and I've thought it ironic as well for the reason you stated above.

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_texas_hamilton_tragedy_fan_death_070811

traderumor
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
I wonder if this incident will result in a knee-jerk "no more tosses of balls by players into the stand," with orders from MLB attorneys?

In the flip side, I fully expect a financial gesture from Josh and/or the organization to the boy and his family. At least I hope so.

JaxRed
07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
It shouldn't. Sometimes accidents just happen. If they were going to anything, make the railing a little higher.

KittyDuran
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
gotcha. Agreed on the netting extended down the seats and I've thought it ironic as well for the reason you stated above.

This tragedy makes me sad and confused-I never understood the allure of getting a baseball. Maybe because I'm lousy even with a glove to catch one and I'm usually trying to get out of the way so I don't get maimed. I have picked up 3 baseballs at games-they rolled to me. 2 I gave to kids, but the 3rd at a Dragons gave I kept. Why? Because as I put my hand on the ball a father tells his son to "get it" and son steps on my hand! I said sorry but you just blew your chance for this ball. Of course, I got the hairy eyeball from dad and a few other adults around. The article that OBM posted is wonderful and answers some of my questions, but in the end the writer sort of acknowledges that this allure is hard to overcome, possibly in the future setting up another tragic event.

RBA
07-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Sad story.

reds1869
07-08-2011, 01:22 PM

I have season tickets in the second row of the bleachers and have twice almost been knocked down by fans going for homerun balls, only one of which actually made it into our section. One of the times I caught myself on the railing in the aisle. It would be extremely easy to be knocked over the railing into the stands below by someone shoving and/or pushing for a ball. I'll never understand the extreme value folks place on balls in the stands.

Blitz Dorsey
07-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Jeez, that's awful. I feel terrible for the son. He's going to have nightmares about that the rest of his life. Really puts things into perspective.

And yes, look for MLB to overreact and send a memo to players telling them not to throw balls in the stands.

George Anderson
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
And yes, look for MLB to overreact and send a memo to players telling them not to throw balls in the stands.

That goof ball rule of coaches wearing helmets in the coaches box comes to mind.

Roy Tucker
07-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I wonder if this incident will result in a knee-jerk "no more tosses of balls by players into the stand," with orders from MLB attorneys?

IIRC, players chucking the ball into the stands started after the '94 strike.

Before then, the only baseballs that went in the stands were foul balls or HRs.

George Anderson
07-08-2011, 02:14 PM

The Reds fined Dave Collins like $100 for throwing a ball into the stands around 1980. Collins gave that as part of the reason he left the Reds.

Homer Bailey
07-08-2011, 02:27 PM
How many stadiums have that though? Are you going to put nets around the upper tiers and outfield walls because some hooplehead wants to dive for a foul ball?

Why does it take a tragedy before preventative measures are taken? There are several ballparks that should have protective nets that don't affect the field or play nor anyone's view. Dodger stadium off the top of my head should have them. Old Riverfront should have had them. Old Busch.

kaldaniels
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Why does it take a tragedy before preventative measures are taken? There are several ballparks that should have protective nets that don't affect the field or play nor anyone's view. Dodger stadium off the top of my head should have them. Old Riverfront should have had them. Old Busch.

RIP.

An above code height rail was already in place. That's preventive enough for me. I hate that this happened but people have to be aware of their surroundings.

Homer Bailey
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
RIP.

An above code height rail was already in place. That's preventive enough for me. I hate that this happened but people have to be aware of their surroundings.

And there is plexiglass above the boards to prevent pucks from going into the stands. Only that wasn't enough, so they put up nets behind the goals after a girl died at a game.

HeatherC1212
07-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I've been reading some things about this all day at work and I am having a lot of trouble not crying here at my desk. No way will I be able to watch a video of this anytime in the near future. What a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the man's family and the Rangers family (especially Josh). :(

Chip R
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM

How far are you willing to go though? How about teams stop selling beer and mixed drinks because someone could drive home drunk and kill themselves or someone else? What about eliminating nachos and soda and cheeseburgers and hot dogs because if someone eats them they may eventually die of heart disease? How about we put up the BP screen in front of the pitcher so he doesn't get hit with line drives? Here's an easier solution: Put 20 feet of plexiglass around the stands and around every tier in the ballpark so they don't fall over railings or dive over one for a foul ball.

This was a tragedy. I think the Rangers should look at that area of the stadium - where someone fell last year - and see how they can prevent someone from going over that railing again. Let's not have a knee-jerk reaction and put nets all around the inside of the park though.

kaldaniels
07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
And there is plexiglass above the boards to prevent pucks from going into the stands. Only that wasn't enough, so they put up nets behind the goals after a girl died at a game.

I just disagree with you and that's ok...we could play the comparsion game all day but the reality is most comparisons are apples and oranges. Just wanted to state my anti-net (or anti-mandatory nets" actually) opinion.

VR
07-08-2011, 03:44 PM
That is a sad, sad story. As a father, and a Josh Hamilton fan, it's hard to contemplate the impacts this has.

savafan
07-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Major League Baseball released an official statement in reaction to the accident that killed fan Shannon Stone at Rangers Ballpark on Thursday night.

"All of us at Major League Baseball are shocked and saddened over the tragic death of Mr. Stone last evening. Our thoughts and prayers are with his son and his entire family. Major League Baseball has the utmost sensitivity to the safety of all the fans that come to our ballparks. Our players are encouraged to be fan-friendly and we will carefully review this incident with our clubs to continue to ensure a safe environment for our fans."

REDREAD
07-08-2011, 04:23 PM
How far are you willing to go though? .

I agree with you on this.. This accident was tragic, but let's not overreact and put a bubble around ever seat.

I forget the exact statistics but "accidents" is one of the leading causes of death among young and middle-aged adult males.. We all have to focus on what we are doing (at the ballpark, driving a car, etc).

Big Klu
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
IIRC, players chucking the ball into the stands started after the '94 strike.

I remember that the infielders used to roll the ball back to the mound after the third out. As a kid I was a first baseman, so I would spike it like Pete Rose did...drove my mom nuts.

Homer Bailey
07-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I just disagree with you and that's ok...we could play the comparsion game all day but the reality is most comparisons are apples and oranges. Just wanted to state my anti-net (or anti-mandatory nets" actually) opinion.

For the record, I'm not saying put up nets all over the ball park. I'm saying put them in places (like LF in Arlington) where a fan could fall from a railing like that. Even something like Wrigley, where the "basket" in the bleachers keeps fans from falling onto the field. I'm not sure that is why those were put in, but it serves the purpose.

I see no way that putting said nets up could hurt fan safety, unless you think that a fan is more likely to take a silly risk knowing there is a net beneath him or her.

Homer Bailey
07-08-2011, 06:02 PM
How far are you willing to go though? How about teams stop selling beer and mixed drinks because someone could drive home drunk and kill themselves or someone else? What about eliminating nachos and soda and cheeseburgers and hot dogs because if someone eats them they may eventually die of heart disease? How about we put up the BP screen in front of the pitcher so he doesn't get hit with line drives? Here's an easier solution: Put 20 feet of plexiglass around the stands and around every tier in the ballpark so they don't fall over railings or dive over one for a foul ball.

This was a tragedy. I think the Rangers should look at that area of the stadium - where someone fell last year - and see how they can prevent someone from going over that railing again. Let's not have a knee-jerk reaction and put nets all around the inside of the park though.

I'm talking about in the ballpark, fan safety. Higher railings/netting could have saved a life here, and kept another fan from falling in the same ballpark last year.

The other "issues" you brought up are not in relation to in park fan safety. Not to mention there are rules about alchohol consumption, along with cut-off points, etc.

All I'm saying, is if there was a net between those stands and the wall, a life would have been saved. Heck, I didn't even know that gap was there. It makes no sense to have that there.

kaldaniels
07-08-2011, 06:19 PM
For the record, I'm not saying put up nets all over the ball park. I'm saying put them in places (like LF in Arlington) where a fan could fall from a railing like that. Even something like Wrigley, where the "basket" in the bleachers keeps fans from falling onto the field. I'm not sure that is why those were put in, but it serves the purpose.

I see no way that putting said nets up could hurt fan safety, unless you think that a fan is more likely to take a silly risk knowing there is a net beneath him or her.

Did someone say nets will hurt fan safety?

Phhhl
07-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Most people would like a chance to get a ball at a game. I understand the impulse, completely. The guy probably wanted to give it to his son, and have something they could talk about for years. Not only a ball, but one that was thrown by one of the greatest hitters in the history of the Rangers' franchise.

Very sad. I have been thinking about this off and on since I heard about it this morning. Life doesn't make sense sometimes.

Unassisted
07-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Here's a link to a transcript of the Josh Hamilton presser where he discusses the incident.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/foul_territory/2011/07/rangers-josh-hamilton-transcript.html

Matt700wlw
07-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Josh gets it. He will do whatever he can to help this family.

Stay strong, Josh.....I wish you still wore a Reds uniform ;)

RedsBaron
07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Most people would like a chance to get a ball at a game. I understand the impulse, completely. The guy probably wanted to give it to his son, and have something they could talk about for years.
If the guy had been to the game by himself it would still be tragic, but I might be wondering about how could the guy have made such a mistake just to try to get a baseball. With his six year old son with him it is easy for me to understand how this happened. I am sure he wanted to get the ball for his son and good judgment sometimes goes away when a dad tries to do something for a son. Just such a horribie incident. :(

savafan
07-20-2011, 12:11 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jSh5hAgK2PS4VPaMpRPo5DzTSNLg?docId=CNG.53940 5baf2e456bc52ecbdce0fac62b9.171

DALLAS, Texas — The Texas Rangers plan to raise some front-row railing by as much as 30 centimetres (11.8 inches) following the death of a fan at a game earlier this month.

The Major League Baseball team officials said they are planning to streamline the railings so they are all the same height, making them some of the highest in the league. The new railings will be 106 centimetres (42 inches) high.