PDA

View Full Version : Google+?

Eric_the_Red
07-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Has anyone tried Google+ yet? Supposed to be the social network that takes down Facebook. It is in beta now with limited users, but most of my friends on it say they like it better than Facebook. (I think they are early adopters who would like anything better than Facebook though.)

I'm still on the fence and want to see what improvements they make to it. Some things I like, but others I don't. It doesn't seem to be as intuitive as Facebook, but that could be because I've been on Facebook for so long.

RedsManRick
07-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Just got an invite today from my brother. I think it ultimately is a better concept than Facebook, since it's not really a separate place you have to go to be social, but rather it's baked in to everything else Time will tell.

SunDeck
07-09-2011, 04:44 PM
No invite yet. I'd like to give it a go- I'm pretty much wrapped up in google products and would like to see what they come up with.

Eric_the_Red
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
No invite yet. I'd like to give it a go- I'm pretty much wrapped up in google products and would like to see what they come up with.

PM me your email address and I'll try to send you an invite.

Razor Shines
07-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I still have 7 invites left for Twitter if anyone is interested.

Brutus
07-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I still have 7 invites left for Twitter if anyone is interested.

I'd gladly take one, if you'd be so kind.

BurgervilleBuck
07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I signed up for it this afternoon. It looks more flexible than FB could ever hope to be.

frenetic wave
07-11-2011, 02:06 AM
If anyone has invites and is glad to share them with a forum member, let me know! I deactivated my Facebook account a few months ago and am interested in what Google has planned.

Eric_the_Red
07-11-2011, 08:03 AM
If anyone has invites and is glad to share them with a forum member, let me know! I deactivated my Facebook account a few months ago and am interested in what Google has planned.

Shoot me your email and I can get one out to you. But if you don't like FB I don't know if Plus is for you. to me, it looks like a redesigned FB with less ads.

frenetic wave
07-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Eric! Will send that PM right now.

My main issue with Facebook was that I didn't like having the same social profile for work friends, actual friends, family members, etc etc. It sounds like Google+ lets you customize your friend circles better and keep things separated more efficiently. I'm not a giant social profile guy as is but I like the peace of mind of knowing I can keep those different relationship groups from bleeding into one Facebook page.

reds1869
07-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Eric! Will send that PM right now.

My main issue with Facebook was that I didn't like having the same social profile for work friends, actual friends, family members, etc etc. It sounds like Google+ lets you customize your friend circles better and keep things separated more efficiently. I'm not a giant social profile guy as is but I like the peace of mind of knowing I can keep those different relationship groups from bleeding into one Facebook page.

I'm a big fan of Circles so far. google+ is really intuitive and skips the artificial, one size fits all "friend request" nature of Facebook.

Fon Duc Tow
07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I have been reading about Google+ and it looks pretty cool.

If anyone has an invite I would appreciate it! :beerme:

TRF
07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
The ability to edit one's on status updates makes it better than facebook. Uses gtalk for chat.

i love it.

AtomicDumpling
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I just created my Google+ account. Now I need to figure out how this puppy works. I have only found one person I know that has an account so far. I think the Circles feature is going to make this better than Facebook right from the start. If anybody finds any cool features please share them with us here. Any interest in creating a Redszone circle?

IslandRed
07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I'll take an invite if anyone has extras.

I have to admit, while I like the idea of Facebook having real competition, I'm not sure I want Google to be the one taking them down. :cool: They're getting about as monolithic as Microsoft ever was.

Brutus
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I'll take an invite if anyone has extras.

I have to admit, while I like the idea of Facebook having real competition, I'm not sure I want Google to be the one taking them down. :cool: They're getting about as monolithic as Microsoft ever was.

What's worse is that Google is flat out abusive with privacy and personal information. Facebook is known for turning over information to government agencies, but Google blows Facebook out of the water when it comes to infringing on personal information.

Eric_the_Red
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Whoever wants invites, PM me your email address. I already sent invites to Homer and fenetic wave.

RBA
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
It is now open to anyone with Google account

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk