PDA

View Full Version : Running out of the box

mace
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Obviously, Coco's third straight blown save, and Dusty's decision to stick with him, are the main talking points of this latest loss. But I believe there was another unfortunate play that may have contributed just as much.

Did you notice, when Bruce hit the ball off the right-field wall leading off the third, that he stood in the box and watched for a while? And then took off in kind of a brisk jog? He stayed in the jog well past first base, then kicked it in only when Hart missed the ball and it bounced toward the right-field line. Carlos Gomez, however, was hustling all the way, ran down the ball and made a nice throw to Weeks, who gunned out Bruce at third. One team played the game right, the other didn't, and we saw the results.

It seems to me that the Reds are too often guilty of that sort of thing. I generally love the way Bruce plays the game, but this time he screwed up. I also love the way Votto plays the game, but multiple times I've noticed him not running out of the box while he watches to see if the ball will land fair. That's simply not right. And they're getting away with it. And losing one-run games.

Chris Welsh pointed out that some of the Reds were watching Derek Jeter clips before the game, and the thing that stood out was the fact that Jeter never failed to sprint out of the box, or to keep sprinting until the ball landed in the seats. Obviously, the Reds didn't get the message.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Big play. If it had been Phillips, there likely would have been an outcry. Pretty much swept under the rug, though, it being Bruce. Cost the team a run in a 1-run game.

GADawg
07-10-2011, 06:35 PM
i have to agree...that kind of thing runs rampant throughout the game. Long gone are the days of Pete Rose busting his butt to get to first following a walk. Also agree on Votto...it's almost as if he doesn't pick the ball up at first but as you point out should be running just the same.

I've never understood what a guy has to lose by running out every play...that kind of thing should be taught organizationally and there should be some form of consequences.

On a semi-related note...I love Brandon Phillips and it's been well documented that he is guilty of the above on a few occasions but aside from that does it seem like for a fast runner that he's one of the slowest guys out of the box? Maybe it's his balance following a swing or something related.

AtomicDumpling
07-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah it has been a team-wide problem. Bruce was guilty today but he is usually pretty good about hustling out of the box. Votto stands and watches nearly every ball he hits before taking off. Phillips does it too. Gomes too. I think it is a problem that needs to be addressed by the coaching staff.

Raisor
07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
make them all run laps until they puke! No easy chairs for anyone in the clubhouse! Beatings for everyone!

kaldaniels
07-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't expect a Charlie Hustle out of the box, but when you hit it, just run. Every time. That's all.

mace
07-10-2011, 06:41 PM
On a semi-related note...I love Brandon Phillips and it's been well documented that he is guilty of the above on a few occasions but aside from that does it seem like for a fast runner that he's one of the slowest guys out of the box? Maybe it's his balance following a swing or something related.

I've thought the same thing for quite a while. Many times, he'll hit an easy grounder that you think he might beat out, and he's out by three steps. I believe it might be part of the reason that he hits into so many double plays. That said, it seems to me that lately--just the past few weeks--he's been getting down the line much faster.

Always Red
07-10-2011, 06:43 PM
make them all run laps until they puke! No easy chairs for anyone in the clubhouse! Beatings for everyone!

The beatings will continue until morale improves! :lol:

RedsManRick
07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Agreed. Nobody really commented on it at the time (other than to say Jeter runs hard), but Bruce would have been there easy if he busted it out of the box. You know out of the box that you at least have a double. If it clears the wall you can jog home. If it doesn't, don't want to be as far along as possible?

traderumor
07-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Big play. If it had been Phillips, there likely would have been an outcry. Pretty much swept under the rug, though, it being Bruce. Cost the team a run in a 1-run game.The game thread says you're wrong. Lots of bellyaching about it over there. So much if/dog/rabbit to me.

WMR
07-10-2011, 07:25 PM

So you're NOT in favor of players hustling out of the box? :confused:

Raisor
07-10-2011, 07:29 PM
So you're NOT in favor of players hustling out of the box? :confused:

People have been complaining about hustling out of the box since 1863

WMR
07-10-2011, 07:33 PM
People have been complaining about hustling out of the box since 1863

I agree with that... just saying, it wouldn't have to go so far as beatings to get them to bear down a little more out of the box. ;)