PDA

View Full Version : 20 more days........sellers or buyers?

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I see the Reds as sellers. I don't see much out there to buy THAT THE REDS CAN AFFORD.

Maybe they improve the team for next year.

Remember, there's always next season. :D

nux fan
07-11-2011, 02:11 PM
agree this team cant win

brm7675
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Basically neither unless they fall more then 12-15 games out which I don't see them doing. I think when it is all said and done we will finish like 5-8 games out and the mag't will just say we had some "unlucky" bumps throughout the season that was the difference is us winnig the divsiion and finishing 4th.

webbbj
07-11-2011, 04:11 PM
neither.

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I kind of agree. And I've had this theory most of the season, but haven't posted it yet.

I think management sees the Brewers and Cardinals going all out for the playoffs this year and probably blowing their farm system wad, because the BrewCrew loses Fielder and the Cards lose Pujols after the season.

Reds management stands pat, and believes with Cordero's contract gone, maybe this offseason they can add a needed piece or two, and the young guys should rebound from the 2011 off year.

FireDusty
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Nobody would want to buy what we would want to sell, largely explaining why we would be sellers come selling day. :duel:

Razzle
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I kind of agree. And I've had this theory most of the season, but haven't posted it yet.

I think management sees the Brewers and Cardinals going all out for the playoffs this year and probably blowing their farm system wad, because the BrewCrew loses Fielder and the Cards lose Pujols after the season.

Reds management stands pat, and believes with Cordero's contract gone, maybe this offseason they can add a needed piece or two, and the young guys should rebound from the 2011 off year.

Assuming that the Cards do lose Pujols in the offseason, that $16 mil he gets paid will get paid to someone to fill his spot. Berkman could be brought back for a bit of a bump in salary as well. The Cards will look vastly different if Pujols leaves, but who knows if they'll be competitive or not. And although the Cards lack depth in the minors they do boast two of the minors best pitching prospects in Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez.

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Assuming that the Cards do lose Pujols in the offseason, that $16 mil he gets paid will get paid to someone to fill his spot. Berkman could be brought back for a bit of a bump in salary as well. The Cards will look vastly different if Pujols leaves, but who knows if they'll be competitive or not. And although the Cards lack depth in the minors they do boast two of the minors best pitching prospects in Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez.

Being a top minor league pitching prospect doesn't mean much these days in terms of the majors. .

Miller will be gone if they do a deadline deal. He's all they got to offer.

brm7675
07-11-2011, 04:55 PM

I agree Prince will go elsewhere, but Albert will be a card next season

Razzle
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Being a top minor league pitching prospect doesn't mean much these days in terms of the majors. .

Miller will be gone if they do a deadline deal. He's all they got to offer.

As much as you want to believe it, this is just not the case. Martinez was recently ranked as the #18 prospect on BA's midseason prospect list with Shelby Miller at #7. The Cards have plenty of prospects outside of these two in which to make marginal upgrades at positions of weakness. There is no way Shelby Miller or Martinez are dealt for a JJ Hardy rental. I seriously doubt the Cards deal much this deadline anyway as they need these cost controlled players if they are to afford Pujols.

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree Prince will go elsewhere, but Albert will be a card next season

Reds win either way.

No way Pujols continues to put up the same type of numbers. And he's already showing again and injury signs.

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
As much as you want to believe it, this is just not the case. Martinez was recently ranked as the #18 prospect on BA's midseason prospect list with Shelby Miller at #7. The Cards have plenty of prospects outside of these two in which to make marginal upgrades at positions of weakness. There is no way Shelby Miller or Martinez are dealt for a JJ Hardy rental. I seriously doubt the Cards deal much this deadline anyway as they need these cost controlled players if they are to afford Pujols.

BA is wrong more often than right. But enjoy.

DocRed
07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I am not sure yet, but I think we need to be one or the other. To sit on our hands and do nothing is inexcusable.

50YrRedsFan
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Too early to do either except send out inquiries. We have 16 games before the end of July. 13 of them are at home. We play STL(3), at PIT(3), ATL(3), NYM(4), SF(3). Every team we play is above .500. We should have a good idea where we are by the last week of the month. If our position dictates that we sell, we might as well go for broke and trade any piece we can save for Votto, Bruce, Cozart, Stubbs, Cueto, Leake, Chapman, & Bailey. I am on the fence regarding Phillips and Heisey, but would trade either of them with the proper return. By the way, with all these home games the rest of July, we have MANY more road games than home games in Aug & Sept.

chuck6660
07-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Basically neither unless they fall more then 12-15 games out which I don't see them doing. I think when it is all said and done we will finish like 5-8 games out and the mag't will just say we had some "unlucky" bumps throughout the season that was the difference is us winnig the divsiion and finishing 4th.

And for this reason the Reds Management will do nothing during the off-season

50YrRedsFan
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I am sure Walt & Company are well aware of our shortcomings. I believe they will try to do something, but, sorry to say, as with anything in this world, money will dictate what and how much happens.

Razzle
07-11-2011, 09:51 PM
BA is wrong more often than right. But enjoy.

Everyone is wrong more often than they are right with regards to prospects, but they are as good as anyone at the scouting game. Regardless of their actual future holds, they have immense value right now and will not likely be pawned off for the likes of Heath Bell or JJ Hardy. Those guys are not difference makers and not guys you trade top prospects for.

Jefferson24
07-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I am sure Walt & Company are well aware of our shortcomings. I believe they will try to do something, but, sorry to say, as with anything in this world, money will dictate what and how much happens.

It is quite obviose that that bottom line means a great deal more than winning, so i expect nothing positive to happen regarding this season and I highly doubt anything positive for future years either.

DocRed
07-11-2011, 10:46 PM

This, the rate limiting step has always been and will always be Ca$$tellini.