PDA

View Full Version : Players you hated growing up...

REDblooded
07-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Spinoff on Thierry's thread... Players you always loved to dislike...

1.) Mike Piazza... I hated his hair. Also, it was fun to call him "Pizza Face" as an 11 year old...

2.) Jose Canseco. One of the most memorable plays for me is him having the ball bounce off of his head for a HR...

3.) Fred McGriff. Hated the Braves

4.) Chris Carpenter... Should be on the top of the list.

5.) Albert Belle... Grade A punk.

savafan
07-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Kent Hrbek for pulling Ron Gant off of first base in the 1991 World Series (one of the best WS ever in my opinion)

dougdirt
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Frank Thomas and Barry Bonds. There were only three kids in my neighborhood. Me and then a set of twins. I was a Griffey Jr guy. They were Thomas and Bonds fans.

Always Red
07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Ron Cey and Steve Garvey

Spitball
07-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Mickey Mantle
Roger Maris
Whitey Ford

cincrazy
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Roger Clemens
Kevin Brown
John Rocker
Chipper Jones (hated the Braves. He was the face of it)
Bobby Valentine and ANY of the Mets who had ANYTHING to do with the 99 one game playoff loss. Especially you, Edgardo Alfonso.

Other than that, I did a lot of hating of some of the garbage I had to watch come through Cincinnati.

07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Steve Garvey. The Ken Doll.

He represented everything I hated about Los Angeles. I loved that his wife left him for Marvin Hamlisch, and later married Larry King.

VR
07-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Garvey

oneupper
07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
John Montefusco.
Steve Garvey.
Roy Cey.
Gene Tenace.
Brooks Robinson.

Dusty Baker I was mixed on. He was a Dodger, but he played in the winter for my favorite Venezuelan team.

schroomytunes
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Been a Reds fan so long, so here's my non Reds list:

Dislikes:
1-Barry Bonds
2-Albert Belle
3-Steve Garvey
4-Wade Boggs
5-Keith Hernandez

2-Lenny Dykstra
3-Cal Ripken Jr.
4-Gary Carter
5-Trevor Hoffman-"Hells Bells" over the loudspeakers!!!! awesome

Griffey012
07-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Cal Ripken Jr....I ws born in '86 so I didn't really start following baseball until 91,92, and was really old enough to understand it in 93. Ripken's last stellar year was 1991, yet all I ever heard about was adults and friends going on about how great Ripken was and what I was watching was a player who was living more on his games played streak than his actual skill level.

He was a great player, don't get me wrong, it is just that when I was watching him play and constantly hearing about him as one of the best players currently in baseball with Griffey, Thomas, Chipper, Larkin, Bagwell, etc it became annoying.

SunDeck
07-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Gary Carter. Hands down, Gary Carter.

I also hated Brooks Robinson, but not for the same reasons. He just seemed infallible at third base, taking hits away from Johnny Bench. It killed me.

KittyDuran
07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Ron Cey and Steve Garvey

Yep... Penguin and the Ken Doll. Honorable mention to Randy Jones, and Fred Norman (before he became a good guy).

Spitball
07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I loved that his wife left him for Marvin Hamlisch, and later married Larry King.

I hated Garvey but loved her. I don't think she married Larry King.

MikeThierry
07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I think for me it was any of the Atlanta Braves players. I just couldn't stand the team during the 90's. Yeah Maddox, Glavine, and Smoltz were great but it just angered me how every time they pitched the strike zone would increase about 2 feet. It was a product of the umpire too but they were a really arrogant ball club in my opinion.

nemesis
07-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Disliked -

1) Barry Bonds - Hated him so much 2 place should be third
3) Frank Thomas - Everyone loved him and wanted his card
4) Ryan Sandberg - I loath the Cubs and he was the face of the franchise
5) Daryl Strawberry - Blamed him for Davis leaving

Horrible Mention - Ozzie Smith - Barry was superior in every way, yet Ozzie was more loved.

My Most Liked

1) ED - Christmas of 86 I got a boombox. I found the Joy of Marty and Joe early that spring and my first taste of MLB baseball. To this day it was his incredible season that I didn't really get to appreciate the way I should've, that made me a fan for life.

2) Ricky Henderson - Yes he was an ass. But man, he is what the definition of 5 tool player was based on.

3) Nolan Ryan - Never forget his 7th No Hitter, 5000th K and beating Robin like batter in a bowl.

4) Barry Larkin - If he could have stayed healthy vs missing 25 games a year, he'd have 3000 Hits, 200 HR and 300 SB

5) Doc Gooden - Also that season of 87... Drugs cost him 300 + wins and the HOF.

George Anderson
07-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Reggie Jackson---Hated his loud mouth Muhammad Ali act.

I really didn't care for Pete when he went to the Phillies, not because he wasn't on the Reds but he just seemed to become more of a "hotdog". He was far from my favorite player while with the Reds but I really grew to kinda hate him during the Phillies era.

RANDY IN INDY
07-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Steve Garvey, Don Sutton, Larry Bowa, Dock Ellis, John Candelaria, Bert Campaneris and Gene Tenace.

WVRedsFan
07-11-2011, 11:52 PM
1. Willie McCovey
2. All the LA Dodgers, especially Don Drysdale and Maury Wills
3. Orlando Cepeda
4. Juan Marichal
5. Ron Santo

And later on...

Lots more.

Johnny Footstool
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Dale Murphy
Bob Horner
Anyone else on the early '80s Braves
Tug McGraw
Gary Carter
Steve Carlton
Don Sutton

kaldaniels
07-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Jack Clark.

MartyFan
07-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Carlton Fisk, Larry Bowa, Steve Garvey, Steve Yeager, Rick Reushel,

MartyFan
07-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Reggie Jackson---Hated his loud mouth Muhammad Ali act.

I really didn't care for Pete when he went to the Phillies, not because he wasn't on the Reds but he just seemed to become more of a "hotdog". He was far from my favorite player while with the Reds but I really grew to kinda hate him during the Phillies era.

I get that...

mth123
07-12-2011, 01:18 AM
I don't really remember hating guys on other teams as I was growing up. It was Baseball and I loved everything about it. Maybe that's why I don't get all the trash talking that goes on in the Cardinals conversations. I do remember rooting for Matty Alou and Robero Clemente to take o-fers so Pete could win the Batting Title, but that's all I got.

I rooted against them all when they played against the Reds though.

Big Klu
07-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Most Hated Players as a kid:

1. Pete Rose (when he was with the Philliies and Les Expos)
2. Will Clark
3. Steve Garvey
4. Ron Cey
5. Dusty Baker
6. Reggie Smith
7. Steve Yeager
8. Mike Scioscia
9. Davey Lopes
10. Bill Russell

Most Hated Reds (Not just as a kid, but All-time):
1. Brad Gulden
2. Tim Leary
3. Danny Graves
4. Jim Edmonds (I was duped last year, but then he showed his true colors)
5. Jim Kern
6. Woodie Fryman
7. Leon Durham

11larkin11
07-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Ryan Jorgensen.

Dude always thought he was the Mastur of everything, but he had no Keys or tools at all.

Red in Chicago
07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Anyone wearing Dodger blue.

Dan
07-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I don't really remember hating guys on other teams as I was growing up. It was Baseball and I loved everything about it. Maybe that's why I don't get all the trash talking that goes on in the Cardinals conversations. I do remember rooting for Matty Alou and Robero Clemente to take o-fers so Pete could win the Batting Title, but that's all I got.

I rooted against them all when they played against the Reds though.

I'm in this camp. I can't remember ever hating any ballplayer growing up. Obviously I rooted for the Reds, but the only 'dislike' I had was not for players, but for the Dodgers team. Only because they were the Reds' main rival at the time.

cumberlandreds
07-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Probably disliked Reggie Jackson the most.
Steve Garvey was there too. I knew he was a phoney then and proved it later in life.
Never liked Tommy LaSorda. I know he was a manager but typified everything you hated about the Dodgers. I always hated that "Big Dodger in the Sky" routine he would go through.
Barry Bonds of the more current players. The most arrogant and unlikable athlete I have seen in 40 years of following sports.

RedsBaron
07-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Probably disliked Reggie Jackson the most.
Steve Garvey was there too. I knew he was a phoney then and proved it later in life.
Never liked Tommy LaSorda. I know he was a manager but typified everything you hated about the Dodgers. I always hated that "Big Dodger in the Sky" routine he would go through.
Barry Bonds of the more current players. The most arrogant and unlikable athlete I have seen in 40 years of following sports.

Ditto.
I don't think I liked anyone on the 1976-78 Yankees. In addition to having Reggie! they had Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, Munson....

Griffey012
07-12-2011, 07:24 AM
I think for me it was any of the Atlanta Braves players. I just couldn't stand the team during the 90's. Yeah Maddox, Glavine, and Smoltz were great but it just angered me how every time they pitched the strike zone would increase about 2 feet. It was a product of the umpire too but they were a really arrogant ball club in my opinion.

Karma sure came back around in the 1997 NLDS, Livan Hernandez had the biggest strike zone I have ever seen in an MLB game. It was literally comparable to that of a little league strike zone. If the catcher caught it around or below the belt it was a strike, it was awesome.

_Sir_Charles_
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Ron Cey and Steve Garvey

:clap: Any player in Dodger blue. :O)

Always Red
07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Ditto.
I don't think I liked anyone on the 1976-78 Yankees. In addition to having Reggie! they had Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, Munson....

I actually liked Thurman Munson- tough catcher, from Northern Ohio.

He was very unlike those other guys you mentioned.

Roy Tucker
07-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Steve Garvey, Don Sutton, Larry Bowa, Dock Ellis, John Candelaria, Bert Campaneris and Gene Tenace.

That's a pretty good list. The whole late '70's Dodger infield for that matter (Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey). I got so sick of hearing about them.

I wasn't a fan of Dave Parker on the Pirates either (loved the redemptive Parker on the Reds though). There were a lot of coke-era Pirates I didn't like.

Also Bonds, particularly his SF days. He was like Lord Valdemort. Hated and despised, but also feared greatly. You make one small little mistake to him and that violent but immaculate swing just put the ball 450 ft. into the RF stands time after time. But such a curdled and putrid and unlikeable character.

The whole dang mid '80's Mets with Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Dykstra, Ray Knight, Darryl Strawberry. Carter was a Garvey clone. The rest were just punks. The karma of that team hasn't worn off yet. I still hate the Mets. I have a long memory :)

And I will forever hate Carlton Fisk for Game 6. Good player, probably a nice guy, but every time I see that HR and him wave his arms to go fair, I get mad all over again.

Roy Tucker
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh, and I'm starting to develop a decided dislike towards the modern day Cardinals and Chris Carpenter and Yadier Molina.

klw
07-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Garvey and Gary Carter and probably a bunch of Yankees.

Johnny Footstool
07-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I always liked Reggie, especially after his amazing performance in "The Naked Gun."

RichRed
07-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I hated Reggie Jackson because he was a Yankee, and I thought he was an overrated K-meister and obnoxious jerk. One day, my mom came home with a t-shirt she had bought me as a surprise; it said "Property of New York Yankees, #44." I hope I was able to hide my disgust but I was a dumb kid, so who knows. She didn't know any better, bless her, she just knew I liked baseball.

I later grew to appreciate Reggie for his intelligence, his hitting achievements, and of course, his phenomenal acting skills. But I still thought he had a big mouth.

CySeymour
07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Most Hated Reds (Not just as a kid, but All-time):
1. Brad Gulden

lol That kind of sticks out a bit, Klu. What did you have against Gulden?

And for me as a kid, it was the Dodgers and the Yankees. The Dodgers because they were the Reds arch rival, and the Yankees because, well, you just were supposed to not like the Yankees!

Ghosts of 1990
07-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Barry Bonds

Bobby Bonilla

Ray Lankford

Bagwell, Biggio, Derek Bell, Mike Hampton

Sandberg

marcshoe
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I saw this thread and thought of Garvey, Bowa, and Bill Russell. Nice to see all of them already mentioned, and Garvey seems to be a favorite target. fwiw, my dislike of Bowa had to do with some writers saying he was better than Concepcion.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Willie McGee
Greg Maddux
Omar Vizquel

And the entire rosters of the Astros, Braves, Mets and Cardinals.

And I'll throw in the Pittsburgh Steelers because I really really hate them more than any other team in sports.

crazybob60
07-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Ray Knight (after the Eric Davis fight, sort of started liking him again when he came back to coach the Reds)
Mike Scott
Glenn Davis
Jack Clark

max venable
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Steve Yeager (and the rest of the Dodgers)

OldXOhio
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Anyone wearing Dodger blue. Mike Marshall (the P) was at the top of that list.

Big Klu
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
lol That kind of sticks out a bit, Klu. What did you have against Gulden?

Well, it's been over 25 years, but there was something about his attitude that I didn't like. Since then, I have heard stories that he was a jerk in the clubhouse, so my instincts seem to have been correct. Also, he was just a bad player, and Vern Rapp played him entirely too much. As pedestrian as Dann Bilardello was, you cannot convince me that he was worse than Gulden. I'm not sure that Dave Van Gorder wasn't as good as Gulden, too.

Roy Tucker
07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
As pedestrian as Dann Bilardello was, you cannot convince me that he was worse than Gulden. I'm not sure that Dave Van Gorder wasn't as good as Gulden, too.

Gah. I believe all 3 of those guys are in the Bad Catchers wing of the Reds' Hall of Shame.

cincrazy
07-12-2011, 04:16 PM
My least favorites Reds players of all time, for one reason or another:

1. Danny Graves (quite the excuse maker as he was leaving town. how about, you just sucked Danny?)
2. Ruben Rivera (for all of his raw ability, one of the least intelligent baseball players I've ever seen)
3. Felipe Lopez (i felt he had a ton of potential, and it was maddening to see him play so up and down)
4. Ryan Dempster (sure, he was funny. he was also absolutely, positively terrible with us, bad arm or not)

Guacarock
07-12-2011, 05:53 PM
The two players I hated the most are now enshrined in Baseball's Hall of Fame -- Dodgers' pitchers Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax. I watched them mow down the Reds more than once as a kid. I never could appreciate their dominance or their masterful pitching. What they meant to me -- squirming while watching a dozen of more of my beloved Reds whiffing in games that the Dodgers' typically won by scores of 1-0, 2-1, or such. That lack of offense, plus the Reds losing, equated to boring and agonizing games for a young lad.

Big Klu
07-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Gah. I believe all 3 of those guys are in the Bad Catchers wing of the Reds' Hall of Shame.

Don't forget their immediate predecessor, Alex Treviņo.

corkedbat
07-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Dodgers :D

dabvu2498
07-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Somebody mentioned them already, but I really disliked that mid to late-80s group of Mets. Ray Knight being at the top of the list, Carter, Hernanadez, Dykstra, Gooden, Sid Fernandez, et al.

They always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

mth123
07-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Least favorite Reds growing up? No such thing. But now I'm in my 50s and have to say the utility IF who can only play one position (poorly), pouts about being asked to play elsewhere and can't hit is the guy who tops my list. Edgar Renteria can get he boot any time.

Others I never cared for (mostly because of the white flag that their acquisitions represented rather than problems with these players in their own right): Kirk Saarloos, Jeff Conine, and the mother of them all - Willy Taveras.

RedsBaron
07-12-2011, 09:30 PM
That's a pretty good list. The whole late '70's Dodger infield for that matter (Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey). I got so sick of hearing about them.

I wasn't a fan of Dave Parker on the Pirates either (loved the redemptive Parker on the Reds though). There were a lot of coke-era Pirates I didn't like.

Also Bonds, particularly his SF days. He was like Lord Valdemort. Hated and despised, but also feared greatly. You make one small little mistake to him and that violent but immaculate swing just put the ball 450 ft. into the RF stands time after time. But such a curdled and putrid and unlikeable character.

The whole dang mid '80's Mets with Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Dykstra, Ray Knight, Darryl Strawberry. Carter was a Garvey clone. The rest were just punks. The karma of that team hasn't worn off yet. I still hate the Mets. I have a long memory :)

And I will forever hate Carlton Fisk for Game 6. Good player, probably a nice guy, but every time I see that HR and him wave his arms to go fair, I get mad all over again.

Yeah, I didn't like the Mets. I hated the the Mets because of how their hoodlum fans behaved in the '73 NLCS and I really didn't like the squad of jerks they assembled in the mid-80s. I never liked Keith Hernandez, and Dykstra is a total wanker.
I don't hate Carlton Fisk though. His game six HR in game six in 1975 just lead to Tony Perez's HR in game seven. :)

RedsBaron
07-12-2011, 09:30 PM
And I'll throw in the Pittsburgh Steelers because I really really hate them more than any other team in sports.

:laugh: :thumbup:

marcshoe
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Steve Yeager (and the rest of the Dodgers)

I notice he's showing up a lot. I couldn't really hate him-he's my stepsisters' cousin and the only baseball player born in my county. I do remember that Dad, who had a potato chip distributorship at the time, got thrown out of a bar he was delivering to the day after Yeager homered to beat the Reds (iirc) for mentioning it to the lady who ran the place. She was a big Reds fan.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Ron Cey (hated him, didn't mind Garvey)
Pete Rose (after he left for Philly)
Kent Tekulve (I was actually recruited to play at his alma mater...still hated him when I was 8.)
David Justice (the early 90's Braves were so annoying)
Glen Hubbard (see above)
Terry Puhl (hated watching games in the Astrodome...he burned us a few times)
Alan Ashby (see above)
Enos Cabell (see above...and always was adjusting cup)
Jose Cruz (always seemed to burn us)
Dave Parker (as a Pirate)
George Hendrick (broke up Mario's no-no. Reds killer)
Ellis Valentine (Reds killer...at least it seemed so)
Ray Knight and Kevin Mitchell (after the ED fight, but liked KM when he became a Red....funny how that works)
Willie McGee (always looked like he was going to cry or had to poop)
Gary Carter (as a Met)

Edd Roush
07-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I hate being the one to bump this thread, since I don't know if I hate any past or present MLB players. In fact, I commented the other day to a friend that I believe I boo my favorite team's players 10x more than opposing players simply because I hate to see a lack of hustle on their part or a poorly executed play. When the other team does something on the field, I usually appreciate it as a good play on their end.

Frankly, I only have one player I strongly disliked that I can remember: Al Leiter. He may have been a good human being and certainly was a good ballplayer, but he killed the first playoff experience I can remember in 1999. I will never forget that cold night and the dominance of Al Leiter.