PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says the Reds should trade Alonso for Hardy

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Yonder Alonso for JJ Hardy?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/news/story?id=6756665

The article is Insider, so obviously I can't post it.

Thoughts? Would you do it? Why or why not? Also, the article does acknowledge Cozart, but don't think he's as good as Hardy.

cinreds21
07-12-2011, 12:29 AM
No. I am not a Hardy fan. ESPN is brutal anyway.

Blitz Dorsey
07-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Translation: Orioles Fan Who Works For ESPN Thinks Reds Should Trade Alonso For Hardy.

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2011, 12:30 AM
No. I am not a Hardy fan. ESPN is brutal anyway.

How come? 4 win SSs aren't all that common.

reds44
07-12-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm with Cozart.

Blitz Dorsey

Look at Hardy's career numbers and not just this year. Yuck.

fearofpopvol1
Translation: Orioles Fan Who Works For ESPN Thinks Reds Should Trade Alonso For Hardy.

Don't think so. The writer is a New Yorker and a big Yankees fan.

Blitz Dorsey
07-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Don't think so. The writer is a New Yorker and a big Yankees fan.

It was just a joke based on how absurd the suggestion is.

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2011, 12:32 AM
It was just a joke based on how absurd the suggestion is.

What makes it absurd?

Blitz Dorsey
07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
What makes it absurd?

We clearly need to get more for Alonso than Hardy IMO. Also, if we're trading Alonso, I want a LF. We might have our SS of the future. We certainly don't have a LF of the future. (Unless it's Heisey.)

reds44
07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Or Alonso.

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Anyone know if Hardy is a Type A or B free agent as of now? I can't seem to find that online.

If he ends up being a Type A, does that change your position?

Blitz Dorsey
07-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Or Alonso.

True. I guess I'm still not convinced about his glove ... but after years of watching Adam Dunn and Jonny Gomes I probably won't even notice.

mth123
07-12-2011, 01:10 AM
I love the idea of Hardy, but now that Cozart is finally up, I think SS is adequate. I'll even consider that Hardy may be an upgrade, but the Reds major bullets need to go toward the rotation and finding somebody to hit in the middle of the order. Even if Hardy is a big upgrade, he doesn't really address either of those needs. If the Reds could get a rental of Hardy for a lesser package of suspects (much like what the Reds got for Adam Dunn) I'd be all over it. Something along the lines of Maloney, Lotzkar and Valaika would be better. They could have Janish if they need a glove at SS with Hardy gone, But Alonso, Grandal, Heisey etc have to bring back something that fills one of those other spots. Perhaps if Guthrie (who the Reds would control in 2012) was included (along with the cash to pay these guys) I might add Alonso, but as others have pointed out, Guthrie is trending the wrong way as the season progresses and there have been whispers of back issues, so he'd have to prove healthy. If he is healthy he's an upgrade IMO.

kaldaniels
07-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Bump this when Hardy has another 4 WAR full season and I will glady tip my hat to you. But until then, surely you jest.

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Bump this when Hardy has another 4 WAR full season and I will glady tip my hat to you. But until then, surely you jest.

What's to suggest he won't? The 2 seasons he had over 600 PAs he was over a 4 win player and he's almost at 2 wins now and isn't even on pace for 600 PAs. His defense appears off a little bit. I don't know, I think it's going to be close as I think his defensive numbers will improve the 2nd half.

dougdirt
07-12-2011, 02:05 AM
We clearly need to get more for Alonso than Hardy IMO. Also, if we're trading Alonso, I want a LF. We might have our SS of the future. We certainly don't have a LF of the future. (Unless it's Heisey.)

Dave Sappelt would argue otherwise.

Brutus
07-12-2011, 02:43 AM
I would do it. Wouldn't give much thought to it.

07-12-2011, 02:52 AM
I have no problem trading Alonso for a rental, but it has to be for a rental that is a real difference maker. Like mth123 said, Cozart seems to be fine at SS and Hardy is just a slight upgrade over him at best.

This team doesn't need a few tweaks, it needs a major addition, either a big bat or a true #1 starter. I think there is a real chemistry problem with the team, something needs to change to help them get over the hump. Hardy just doesn't do that, imo.

cincyinco
07-12-2011, 03:13 AM
If we're worried about chemistry then arguably you would want to add Hardy. The kids makeup has always been off the charts from everything I have ever read, and I am a long time fan, since he was drafted. That said I would hope we could get a bit more for Alonso.

lollipopcurve
07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Cozart looks solid. Hardy will be expensive to keep.

Wouldn't consider it.

traderumor
07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Hardy's D has looked shaky when I watched him in the Reds series and recently against Boston. It looks like Cozart has more range and has a really nice looking approach at the plate. I'm impressed with the rookie in early returns. Guthrie better be coming our way in any deal with Alonso as the center piece. We throw in an extra, and it might begin to be a fair deal.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm fine with Cozart right now and I'd leave that position as is the rest of the season. I'd prefer walt focus his attention now on LF and the top of the rotation.

Ghosts of 1990
07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Hardy is a good fit here but not at that price

RedsManRick
07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Hardy's ZiPS projection for the rest of the season for Hardy is .269/.323/.443. For Cozart it's .240/.293/.383. Thats 90 points of OPS over half a season. Call their defense equal and that's 1 win. Is one additional win worth Alonso? I certainly don't think so.

Let's be real, this isn't Jose Reyes we're talking about. Don't get we wrong; in a bubble, I like Hardy. He'd be an upgrade. And I'm not attached to Alonso. But that kind of move only makes sense in the context of a broader set of "all-in" moves.

Kc61
07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
The Reds should not be trading for rentals. Period.

Hardy is a free agent end of year. That ends the discussion IMO.

Reds are a below .500 team. Trading good prospects for guys who could leave after this season makes no sense.

Alonso for Jeremy Guthrie, who is signed for next year? Worth discussing.

crazybob60
07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Before this past week, I would have probably pulled the trigger on this trade. But after seeing Cozart, albeit it was a short period of time, out there, against one of the better teams, I would hold off for now. I agree, with the scentiment, if we are trading Alonso, we need to get a difference maker, and sadly, Hardy is the huge difference maker that would help. That would be a big splash LF or SS (Reyes) or a TOR of the rotation guy.

toledodan
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
a week ago maybe, now a big no. i like hardy but after this past week of losing i would prefer to stick with cozart. i think he will do just fine.

Caveat Emperor
07-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd trade Joey Votto before I traded Yonder Alonso.

Yeah, I said it.

kaldaniels
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I said it.

That's a stretch for me of course, but I really really want the Reds to keep Yonder. I look at him and see 6 years of affordable production.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I said it.

:eek:

Caveat Emperor
07-12-2011, 02:16 PM
That's a stretch for me of course, but I really really want the Reds to keep Yonder. I look at him and see 6 years of affordable production.

As I said in the other thread (re: Jiminez) -- Joey isn't going to be a Red forever, and Yonder is ready to step into his shoes. If you can mine quality value (like, say, an ace pitcher) for Votto, I think you absolutely pull the trigger.

Redsfaithful
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
The Reds need starting pitching. Everything else that's an issue (LF, 3B with Rolen hurting) has in house replacements if they want a change. I wouldn't want Hardy unless he came cheaply (much cheaper than Alonso) and I don't know why the Orioles would do that.