PDA

View Full Version : Brewers trade for K-Rod

Who Dey Time
07-13-2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/brewers-acquire-francisco-rodriguez.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Francisco Rodriguez headed from New York to Milwaukee for 2 PTBNL and cash. Milwaukee makes the first move.

Natty Redlocks
07-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Good for them.

Razzle
07-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Unless this is a complete salary dump for mediocre prospects it really doesn't make sense to me. The right side of the Brewers pen isn't even close to their biggest problem. There are much more marginal wins to be had by upgrading shortstop and, assuming McGehee doesn't bounce back, third base. It obviously makes the Brewers better, but without seeing the prospects and money going back it has the potential to be an awful deal and not much better than a mediocre deal to me. When you have few prospects dealing them for a position that is already solid doesn't make sense, especially for an overpriced rental.

jwmann2
07-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Can they afford this guy? lol. Re-signing Prince should be a bigger priority.

Razzle
07-13-2011, 12:27 AM

I don't think so, but I wouldn't want to pay a closer big money anyway. The Brewers aren't going to resign Fielder either. This looks to be their all-in move depending on the prospects they gave up. I'm just hoping the financial issues of the Mets didn't make them give him up, pay some of the salary, AND take back mediocre prospects.

Who Dey Time
07-13-2011, 12:32 AM

I think it's clear that the Brewers are going for it this season. 2012 will be more of a transition year as I don't see how they can possibly sign Fielder to a long term deal.

bshall2105
07-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I like the Reds being patient while Milwaukee hurts their chances in the future. I think the Reds are thinking more towards 2012 and beyond, and I'm OK with that if they think our odds are better next year.

Newman4
07-14-2011, 08:50 AM
I think the option situation with Rodriguez will be interesting. The Brewers now say that the closer job is going to be "shared" What does that say to a young guy like Axford? He's done about as good as can be expected and management brings in the all time single season saves leader to "share" the job? As volatile as Rodriguez is and he gets told there is a chance he will be closing games and thus kick in that big payday? Seems like a negative situation either way.

LegallyMinded
07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
I think the option situation with Rodriguez will be interesting. The Brewers now say that the closer job is going to be "shared" What does that say to a young guy like Axford? He's done about as good as can be expected and management brings in the all time single season saves leader to "share" the job? As volatile as Rodriguez is and he gets told there is a chance he will be closing games and thus kick in that big payday? Seems like a negative situation either way.

I can't imagine the Brewers will let Rodriguez's option vest, even if he does end up sharing the closer's role. After all, he can still finish 20 more games before the option kicks in, so there's plenty of leeway for Rodriguez to steal a few saves.

What would be most interesting to me is if Axford got hurt and the Brewers still refused to let Rodriguez finish enough games to make the option vest. In that case, I'm guessing we'd see the players' union file a grievance against Milwaukee in which the Brewers would have to somehow prove they didn't let Rodriguez take over the closer's role for on field rather than financial reasons. Hopefully, the end result would be the Brewers losing and being on the hook for 17 million for a reliever next year.

Newman4
07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
You're exactly right. I would love to see them stuck with that option for next year.

texasdave
07-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Francisco Rodriguez has agreed to waive his $17.5MM vesting option for 2012 in exchange for additional compensation, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The reliever will hit the open market at the end of the 2011 season.
The Brewers can now use Rodriguez without worrying that they'll have to pay him $17.5MM in 2012. The reliever's option would have become guaranteed for that amount if he had finished 55 total games this season, and he finished 34 with the Mets before heading to Milwaukee.

A GM being creative and proactive. Maybe Walt has something up his sleeve.