PDA

View Full Version : Keith Law's Top 50-midseason, 2 Reds mentioned

fearofpopvol1
07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6768361/mlb-keith-law-updated-2011-top-50-prospects

Can't post the whole thing obviously, but 2 Reds mentioned...Mez at #6 (previously ranked #31) and Grandal at #44 (previously NR).

Also interesting, the Cards, according to law have the 3rd and 4th best prospects in Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez respectively and also #47 Tyrell Jenkins. All 3 are pitchers!!

Is Martinez that good? I know Miller is legit, but I haven't heard much about Martinez and that's a huge leap to be ranked #4 seemingly out of nowhere. I do know that Martinez can touch 100 though.

nate1213
07-14-2011, 07:26 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6768361/mlb-keith-law-updated-2011-top-50-prospects

Can't post the whole thing obviously, but 2 Reds mentioned...Mez at #6 (previously ranked #31) and Grandal at #44 (previously NR).

Also interesting, the Cards, according to law have the 3rd and 4th best prospects in Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez respectively and also #47 Tyrell Jenkins. All 3 are pitchers!!

Is Martinez that good? I know Miller is legit, but I haven't heard much about Martinez and that's a huge leap to be ranked #4 seemingly out of nowhere. I do know that Martinez can touch 100 though.

I wonder if Stephenson and Corcino have a shot at being better than Miller and Martinez.

RiverRat13
07-14-2011, 08:31 PM

I noticed that as well. I've read several times on Redszone about how the Cards cupboard is bare, yet they have two in Law's top 5 and 3 in his top 50.

PuffyPig
07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
I noticed that as well. I've read several times on Redszone about how the Cards cupboard is bare, yet they have two in Law's top 5 and 3 in his top 50.

The Cards have two very high-end prospects, but have a serious lack of depth throughout their system.

LoganBuck
07-15-2011, 10:37 PM
The Cards have two very high-end prospects, but have a serious lack of depth throughout their system.

To my way of thinking the Cards cupboard is bare, because those guys are still at least a year away, and are very important replacements for Carpenter, Lohse, Westbrook, and potentially Wainwright. Garcia is the only pitcher under contract beyond 2013, and the others are actually only under contract through next year. Options come into play this year on Carpenter, next year on Lohse, Westbrook and Wainwright. If Wainwright comes back well, he is going to be looking for a very big contract.