PDA

View Full Version : OK, OK.... Starting...... NOW...

Edskin
07-14-2011, 11:18 PM
That's been my mantra this season....

The Reds really shouldn't be in any sort of contention right now. We have not played well as a team at all. When certain areas have come through others have tanked and vice versa. We are two games below .500 and in 4th place in the worst division in MLB. We should be playing out the string already.

But the standings keep sucking us in. 4 games back... And we start the second half against a team we are chasing.

13 of our next 16 are at home...we get going against the Cards and then Pirates.... Milwaukee is starting an 11 game west coast roadie. It sure seems like if the Reds are ever going to make a run, it needs to be now.

Let's say we come and tank right off the bat... Let's say we go 2-4 against the Cards and Pirates and find ourselves 6-7 games out. At that point, it would probably be time to throw in the towel. So, we could be as close as one week away from the season virtually ending. Or.... One really good week and we close in on the division lead.

This division stinks. And we still might be the most talented team in it.

We've seemingly had many chances to regroup and restart and each time we've stumbled. This time you'd have to figure is our last chance.

So, the season starts......now!

BuckeyeRedleg
07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
That's been my mantra this season....

The Reds really shouldn't be in any sort of contention right now. We have not played well as a team at all. When certain areas have come through others have tanked and vice versa. We are two games below .500 and in 4th place in the worst division in MLB. We should be playing out the string already.

But the standings keep sucking us in. 4 games back... And we start the second half against a team we are chasing.

13 of our next 16 are at home...we get going against the Cards and then Pirates.... Milwaukee is starting an 11 game west coast roadie. It sure seems like if the Reds are ever going to make a run, it needs to be now.

Let's say we come and tank right off the bat... Let's say we go 2-4 against the Cards and Pirates and find ourselves 6-7 games out. At that point, it would probably be time to throw in the towel. So, we could be as close as one week away from the season virtually ending. Or.... One really good week and we close in on the division lead.

This division stinks. And we still might be the most talented team in it.

We've seemingly had many chances to regroup and restart and each time we've stumbled. This time you'd have to figure is our last chance.

So, the season starts......now!

Say they play better in the 2nd half, win a weak central division, and then get the Phillies again in the first round. Then what?

I follow the Reds because they are my team and it's the thing I do to past the time in the spring and summer. They are a habit to me. I'll watch them and pay attention to them regardless of how good they are, but I just don't look at this team and think they are worthy of anything more than being a little above average.

I know anything can happen in the playoffs, but if they even can pass three teams and win the division, they get Philly again. And if so, I wouldn't expect different results than what we saw last year. The only positive I can think of is that we won't have to see Volquez start a playoff game again and the odds are we won't get no-hit, but other than that, I can't see a different result.

Then we are back to where we were last winter. Then what?

Ghosts of 1990
07-14-2011, 11:57 PM
I say we grow over .500 beards starting if they win tomorrow night. If they are over .500 or at .500 (second half record only) the beards stay. If we go under at .500 (second half record only) at any point then we shave.

kaldaniels
07-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Say they play better in the 2nd half, win a weak central division, and then get the Phillies again in the first round. Then what?

I follow the Reds because they are my team and it's the thing I do to past the time in the spring and summer. They are a habit to me. I'll watch them and pay attention to them regardless of how good they are, but I just don't look at this team and think they are worthy of anything more than being a little above average.

I know anything can happen in the playoffs, but if they even can pass three teams and win the division, they get Philly again. And if so, I wouldn't expect different results than what we saw last year. The only positive I can think of is that we won't have to see Volquez start a playoff game again and the odds are we won't get no-hit, but other than that, I can't see a different result.

Then we give it another go. Strive for improvement. It will be difficult for the Reds to ever be a team built both for the regular and post-season,given the payroll structure. I'm not saying it's impossible, and I'm not saying I am perfectly content as is, but in the scenario you mention, I'd be amped looking forward to the 2012 season. The playoffs are a crapshoot my friend...make it a habit to get there and good things will eventually happen.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Then we give it another go. Strive for improvement.

I would have liked to seen that happen last off-season.

Patrick Bateman
07-15-2011, 12:20 AM

The Phillies like any other team are beatable.

This is baseball. The better team loses all the time.

Get to the playoffs and it wont neccesarily be a slam dunk.

It doesn't mean we are the best team, but I would be happy being the worst team in the playoffs every year because that is sometimes enough, and considering our payroll and such, simply being very competitive is not the worst thing in the world. The trade off is more than likely the Marlins system of play big for a year and stink the rest of the time.

edabbs44
07-15-2011, 07:06 AM
My have our standards changed. Give me the playoffs any day. And Philly is no lock in the 1st rd anyway.

Griffey012
07-15-2011, 07:10 AM

We play three or more playoffs games that has all of us on the edge of our seat acting like a bunch of fools. Even if we make the playoffs and get steamrolled by Philly in embarrassing fashion again, it is still way better than not making the playoffs.

cumberlandreds
07-15-2011, 07:58 AM
The next six games are critical. If the Reds go 4-2 or better they are in the race for the long haul. If the go 2-4 or worse it's selling time. I don't think they can recover from being down about 6 games and trying to catch three teams to boot. If they go 3-3 it will tough to overcome but not quite time to throw in the towel. This will make the decision to be buyers or sellers extremely difficult for Reds Management.

RANDY IN INDY
07-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I kinda get the feeling that the front office doesn't quite know what to do with the season. I don't get the feeling that they want to make a statement, either way and are just going to let things play out. Don't get a real sense that they know what direction to take with this year's team. Not a real confidence builder for the fan base.

Edskin
07-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Like many others, I hope over the next week or so the team decides the direction for the front office. Either way, I hope it becomes obvious. Part of me says going 0-6 would be better than going 3-3.

And for the record, a playoff berth, regardless of the outcome is a success in my book bar none.

cumberlandreds
07-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Like many others, I hope over the next week or so the team decides the direction for the front office. Either way, I hope it becomes obvious. Part of me says going 0-6 would be better than going 3-3.

And for the record, a playoff berth, regardless of the outcome is a success in my book bar none.

I agree with you. If they go 3-3 they will probably do nothing which may hurt this franchise in the long run.

A playoff berth is what you want no matter who you play. For the last ten years in MLB the hot team usually wins everything no matter what their regular season record says. Just get in and hopefully get hot.

TheBurn
07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
...Say they play better in the 2nd half, win a weak central division, and then get the Phillies again in the first round. Then what? Reminds me kinda like I felt about going against the Oakland A's back in 1990... a "now what?" type of thing. And that turned out nicely. ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Reminds me kinda like I felt about going against the Oakland A's back in 1990... a "now what?" type of thing. And that turned out nicely. ;)

I get what you are saying but in 1990 you only had to get past one team to make the WS.

And this team can't carry the 1990 team's jock.

But, again, I get what you are saying.

Edd Roush
07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I say we grow over .500 beards starting if they win tomorrow night. If they are over .500 or at .500 (second half record only) the beards stay. If we go under at .500 (second half record only) at any point then we shave.

Screw copying hockey traditions. We should start our own Reds' fan tradition. Pay homage to the rally onion, by eating some sort of onion every day the Reds are over .500. No one will know what you are doing, but every one will complain about your bad breath.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-15-2011, 10:56 AM
We play three or more playoffs games that has all of us on the edge of our seat acting like a bunch of fools.

I didn't get much of an edge of the seat vibe last year against the Phillies.

Unless one likes no-hitter's (which I don't when they are against my team).

mth123
07-15-2011, 01:22 PM
My have our standards changed. Give me the playoffs any day. And Philly is no lock in the 1st rd anyway.

I don't think anyone is saying we don't want to make the play-offs, but I personally don't want the team to be satisfied with just that. Seems like they are building the team to be just good enough to nose out some mediocre competition and not really striving for more..

reds44
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Then we all do a happy dance because we're in the playoffs in back to back years?

Yes. We are going to have to beat good teams in the playoffs.

reds44
07-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think anyone is saying we don't want to make the play-offs, but I personally don't want the team to be satisfied with just that. Seems like they are building the team to be just good enough to nose out some mediocre competition and not really striving for more..
All you can do is get into the playoffs, then it becomes a crap shoot.

mth123
07-15-2011, 01:55 PM
All you can do is get into the playoffs, then it becomes a crap shoot.

No. You continue to upgrade your weak areas and it improves your chances.

REDREAD
07-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Getting kicked out of the playoffs by the Phils is a heck of a lot more enjoyable for me then the normal floundering this team has had over the past 20 years. Try to enjoy the pennant race.. If you are only happy with having a team that will dominate the Phils, you'll never be a happy fan.

Unassisted
07-15-2011, 02:11 PM
With 92 games of results, it seems naive for us to expect the last 70 games to have significantly different outcomes than the first 92. Unless of course, the "trade" of Paul Janish and Edinson Volquez for Zack Cozart and Dontrelle Willis proves to have supplied the missing pieces of the puzzle. ;)

reds44
07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
You can't do that if you get in the playoffs?

reds44
07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
With 92 games of results, it seems naive for us to expect the last 70 games to have significantly different outcomes than the first 92. Unless of course, the "trade" of Paul Janish and Edinson Volquez for Zack Cozart and Dontrelle Willis proves to have supplied the missing pieces of the puzzle. ;)
I think it's very reasonable to expect a team with a 49-43 pythag to play much better than 2 games under in the second half.

Homer Bailey
07-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it's very reasonable to expect a team with a 49-43 pythag to play much better than 2 games under in the second half.

http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/b/borat_high_five-2500.jpg

mth123
07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
You can't do that if you get in the playoffs?

They aren't doing it. They seem to have the, "we're good enough to win this weak division, so no need to add anyone else to improve" attitude

kaldaniels
07-15-2011, 05:40 PM
They aren't doing it. They seem to have the, "we're good enough to win this weak division, so no need to add anyone else to improve" attitude

I guess we are different. I don't believe that in a million years.

Roy Tucker
07-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Sometimes I think people think too much. I just want the Reds to win.

I need to keep things simple or else I get addlepated and cornfused.

toledodan
07-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Getting kicked out of the playoffs by the Phils is a heck of a lot more enjoyable for me then the normal floundering this team has had over the past 20 years. Try to enjoy the pennant race.. If you are only happy with having a team that will dominate the Phils, you'll never be a happy fan.

great post. as much as the playoffs pained me last year i would gladly take my chances again. the reds are just good enough right now to keep me watching every night. they don't get blown out very often and score enough to keep you interested. just like last weekend against the brewers all the games were there for them to grasp. i told my daughter after coco blew it last sunday i wasn't watching anymore. of course i was back watching friday night.:D

mth123
07-16-2011, 02:33 AM

I actually agree with this. The difference for me is that I think this run of goodness isn't going to last long. Once Phillips and especially Votto are gone, the Reds are going to be right back where they were for that 20 year period of also ran or worse status.

Having reached that conclusion, I'm in the "future be damned" camp. Go for it now while we have the chance. I think the Brewers going all in is the right idea.

Dan
07-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Thank you. I'm so sick of this "anything can happen in the playoffs" crap. That might be true in football, but in baseball, the more games you play, the more likely the better team will win. So don't stop building to dominate.

hebroncougar
07-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I can't believe people worry about playing the Phillies in the playoffs. That's ridiculous. Hell, go out and get there and then expect to beat them. They aren't the end all be all team. They'll have about 65 losses by the time the playoffs roll around, give them 3 or 4 more.

I(heart)Freel
07-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Even a first round exit from the playoffs = bonus cash = additional payroll.

Playoffs = sending the Brewers home in their all in season.

Playoffs = denying Pujols another playoff run as a Card, prematurely starting his free agency and the likely day-by-day misery to follow in St Louis.

There's not a darn thing I don't like about the Reds making the post season, early exit or otherwise.

07-16-2011, 10:16 AM
The Reds could acquire Jimenez, Beltran and Heath Bell and they still would be underdogs against the Phillies. Obviously, you want to be the best you can be, but chasing the Phillies is a fool's errand. If any team beats them in the playoffs, it will be mostly due to luck and timing, just like it was for the Giants the whole post season last year.

mth123
07-16-2011, 01:26 PM
The Reds shouldn't be chasing any team in particular, but if they have an 85 win team they should be looking to make it 90, if they think they have a 90 win team, they should be looking to make it 95, etc.

Keep doing that and the Reds will be the legit team the other pretenders are chasing and hoping they get some luck in the play-offs against. Why isn't that the goal instead of getting to prertty good status, sitting back and hoping we get lucky?

11larkin11
07-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Finally getting the back to back wins monkey off their backs. Getting the Sunday Night game monkey off the back (haven't won since 2001???) Winning a great series in front of sellout crowds against the second-best team in the National League.

Its gotta be time, right?

(knocks on wood)

reds44
07-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Wear the red jerseys in big games from now on lol

cumberlandreds
07-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Finally getting the back to back wins monkey off their backs. Getting the Sunday Night game monkey off the back (haven't won since 2001???) Winning a great series in front of sellout crowds against the second-best team in the National League.

Its gotta be time, right?

(knocks on wood)

It has be time. If they could somehow win 5 of the next 7 at home then the first half of August looks pretty favorable. They have series against the Astros and Cubs on the road. Back at home against the Rockies and Padres and then a trip to Washington,Pittsburgh and Florida. All of those teams except Pittsburgh are under .500. So the Reds have one last chance to make something of this season. Climbing over three teams won't be easy and will require a very long stretch of very hot baseball.

IslandRed
07-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Yep. Although the big breakout hasn't happened, we just went 5-4 against teams ahead of us in the standings. The remaining schedule, above-.500 teams bolded:

4 vs. Mets
3 vs. Giants
3 at Astros
3 at Cubs
4 vs. Rockies
3 vs. Padres
3 at Nationals
3 at Pirates
3 at Marlins
3 vs. Nationals
4 vs. Phillies
3 at Cardinals
3 at Cubs
3 at Rockies
4 vs. Cubs
3 vs. Brewers
3 vs. Astros
3 at Pirates
3 at Mets

That's 42 of 61 games against teams below .500 or out of the race. It's there for us to make a run if we have it in us.

_Sir_Charles_
07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
We're only 3 games out. We don't need to worry about the schedule or what the other teams do. All we need to do is play good baseball. Something we haven't done much of this season. But we certainly have it in us.