PDA

View Full Version : Spotify

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 06:01 AM
is amazing. It should change the music world and listening for a while to come.

http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

Anyone else tried it out yet?

wolfboy
07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
is amazing. It should change the music world and listening for a while to come.

http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

Anyone else tried it out yet?

I was just about to sign up for the premium until I looked over the small list of phones they support. Apparently, their mobile app is incompatible with the Motorola Droid (current phone) as well as the HTC Thunderbolt (possibly my next phone). Kind of a deal breaker for me.

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll pass -- don't see what the huge deal is. DRM on iTunes was bad. Paying a monthly fee to access music (with nothing to show for it at the end of the subscription period) is worse.

I'll rent movies and TV shows, but I prefer to own my music.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM
I was just about to sign up for the premium until I looked over the small list of phones they support. Apparently, their mobile app is incompatible with the Motorola Droid (current phone) as well as the HTC Thunderbolt (possibly my next phone). Kind of a deal breaker for me.

I expect that to improve quickly. Did you try downloading it from the Android Market?

wolfboy
07-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I expect that to improve quickly. Did you try downloading it from the Android Market?

I downloaded it. However, I can't test it out until I pay for a subscription (no mobile app under the free versions). I've read a ton of threads on different message boards stating that Spotify no longer has a working app for Droid after the upgrade to 2.2.1. Also, the Spotify website does not list the Droid as supported. I hope they do improve that. I'm definitely interested, but I won't pay the extra $ for things like a mobile app when it won't work on my phone.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I'll pass -- don't see what the huge deal is. DRM on iTunes was bad. Paying a monthly fee to access music (with nothing to show for it at the end of the subscription period) is worse.

I'll rent movies and TV shows, but I prefer to own my music.

$.99 - $1.29 per song vs. $10 a month? Keep in mind, you can access whatever song you want anytime you want from your computer or mobile device and you can include your own library. And the songs are stored offline so you don't have to stream them. Not to mention, the free service lets you stream whatever you want from your computer with a very small number of ads! It's very easy to use as well.

It probably will take some time for Spotify to catch on, but this very well may kill iTunes if Apple doesn't come up with a similar service.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 04:26 PM
I downloaded it. However, I can't test it out until I pay for a subscription (no mobile app under the free versions). I've read a ton of threads on different message boards stating that Spotify no longer has a working app for Droid after the upgrade to 2.2.1. Also, the Spotify website does not list the Droid as supported. I hope they do improve that. I'm definitely interested, but I won't pay the extra $ for things like a mobile app when it won't work on my phone.

I don't blame you on that. Try out the free version if you can for the web. You'll easily be sold.

IslandRed
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
$.99 - $1.29 per song vs. $10 a month? Keep in mind, you can access whatever song you want anytime you want from your computer or mobile device and you can include your own library. And the songs are stored offline so you don't have to stream them. Not to mention, the free service lets you stream whatever you want from your computer with a very small number of ads! It's very easy to use as well.

It probably will take some time for Spotify to catch on, but this very well may kill iTunes if Apple doesn't come up with a similar service.

The free service I could see being very popular. As a paid subscription service, I'm not initially seeing anything in Spotify that's going to kill iTunes any more than Rhapsody is, but time will tell.

wolfboy
07-15-2011, 04:50 PM
The free service I could see being very popular. As a paid subscription service, I'm not initially seeing anything in Spotify that's going to kill iTunes any more than Rhapsody is, but time will tell.

I was all over it until I looked into the mobile app issue. It may not kill iTunes, but look out Pandora (which I also subscribe to).

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM

I buy songs / albums that I like. If I had this service, I'd still buy songs and albums that I liked because I'd want to own them (burn them to CDs / DVDs for physical backups). What I'd be paying $10 per month for is songs I don't love or need to own but still would like to listen to -- and frankly, I can get the same thing from Pandora for free.

It's bad enough buying songs online where you own no physical copy -- this is the next step down this particular slippery slope. We're eventually going to reach a point where you just keep paying money to access things and can never actually own something on your own.

And, not to burst your bubble, but if this was going to kill iTunes the music industry would never have given it the OK. iTunes Europe is still going strong, and it's been dealing with this particular service as a competitor for years.

wolfboy
07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
It's bad enough buying songs online where you own no physical copy -- this is the next step down this particular slippery slope. We're eventually going to reach a point where you just keep paying money to access things and can never actually own something on your own.

The whole license versus purchase phenomena has been quietly growing for years.

http://gizmodo.com/369235/amazon-kindle-and-sony-reader-locked-up-why-your-books-are-no-longer-yours

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM

The difference is in the user interface and the marketing. Rhapsody's isn't very good in my opinion and Spotify has a lot of features that Rhapsody just doesn't. I think the free service will win people over and I do think unless Apple comes up with a competitive alternative, Spotify will kill iTunes.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I buy songs / albums that I like. If I had this service, I'd still buy songs and albums that I liked because I'd want to own them (burn them to CDs / DVDs for physical backups). What I'd be paying $10 per month for is songs I don't love or need to own but still would like to listen to -- and frankly, I can get the same thing from Pandora for free.

And, not to burst your bubble, but if this was going to kill iTunes the music industry would never have given it the OK. iTunes Europe is still going strong, and it's been dealing with this particular service as a competitor for years.

Do you work in the music business? How do you know what the labels would or wouldn't do? The labels waited so they could jack up the asking price. Spotify finally made an offer the labels couldn't refuse. The idea with Spotify is to get a lot of people paying a little. If Netflix can work, what makes you think Spotify can't? There was resistance to Netflix as well initially. Netflix has proven that ownership is overrated, especially if the service is reasonably priced and easy to use. Heck, there was resistance to iTunes initially from those that wanted to own the CD, but people get over it.

You have to consider as well that you may not be Spotify's target audience. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't a huge market for the service. Also, Pandora is a poor comparison because you don't get to choose what you listen to on beyond a song or two. Spotify allows you to listen to whatever you want for free on your PC with ads, $5 a month without ads or $10 a month for ad free on your PC and mobile device.

Spotify hasn't even been available for 3 years yet and it just launched in the USA. I'm not claiming iTunes will be killed overnight. The marketing will take time and the service has to catch on, but nobody wants to pay $1+ per song anymore. Especially if you can have every song you could want at your fingertips on your PC or mobile device for a small fee each month.

I feel very confident in predicting that if Spotify doesn't succeed, a similar service (maybe even by Apple) will within the next few years...one that will marginalize iTunes.

IslandRed
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
The difference is in the user interface and the marketing. Rhapsody's isn't very good in my opinion and Spotify has a lot of features that Rhapsody just doesn't. I think the free service will win people over and I do think unless Apple comes up with a competitive alternative, Spotify will kill iTunes.

Other than cohesively merging owned music with the Spotify library -- something that ought to be redundant, frankly, except for the rare hole in the Spotify library -- I didn't see anything in their new features that looked like a game-changer. But you may well be correct about better marketing.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Other than cohesively merging owned music with the Spotify library -- something that ought to be redundant, frankly, except for the rare hole in the Spotify library -- I didn't see anything in their new features that looked like a game-changer. But you may well be correct about better marketing.

The user face of Spotify is a million times better than Rhapsody. Spotify also currently has a bigger library than Rhapsody as well. The fact that Rhapsody still hasn't made their product available to MAC is a huge problem too (something Spotify does). Spotify streams at 320KBPS while Rhapsody is at 128KBPS, which is pretty 1999 in my opinion.

I think the fact that Rhapsody has 800,000 US subscribers while Spotify has 1.6M European paid subscribers would indicate that Spotify is on a better trajectory.

07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks. I signed up for an iinvite.

I like that you can share songs you like. Big drawback for iTunes, IMO. I can see someone who likes to own their music sticking to iTunes, but I can't see any other reason to not use Spotify instead of iTunes.

Although, I'll wait till I try it before I make a final conclusion.

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2011, 06:58 PM
The whole license versus purchase phenomena has been quietly growing for years.

http://gizmodo.com/369235/amazon-kindle-and-sony-reader-locked-up-why-your-books-are-no-longer-yours

People who laud the virtues of things like Spotify (and even, really, iTunes) should read this. Pay money. Own nothing. It's amazing more people aren't more than a little concerned about this concept becoming more prevalent.

BuckeyeRed27
07-15-2011, 07:25 PM
People who laud the virtues of things like Spotify (and even, really, iTunes) should read this. Pay money. Own nothing. It's amazing more people aren't more than a little concerned about this concept becoming more prevalent.

It's not that amazing. For me to own the amount of music that this service offers me, or the number of movies I can get from a service like Netflix, I would have to pay a lot of money. Or for less than $10 a month I can use as much of the service as I would like and at the end of the day not have something that I might not watch or listen to again. You are paying for access and options which is good on products like this. It works as long as a large number of people want to recieve the product this way and the cost stays low.

JayStubbs
07-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Most people, including myself, only listen for a brief period of time the songs that they like. I used to love Garbage and Blink 182 all day long. I feel no need to listen to them anymore. I can say that about at least 95% of the music I have liked in my lifetime.

And some, like A-Ha and Gin Blossoms, I am glad there is no physical record of me ever liking them. ;)

IslandRed
07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
The user face of Spotify is a million times better than Rhapsody. Spotify also currently has a bigger library than Rhapsody as well. The fact that Rhapsody still hasn't made their product available to MAC is a huge problem too (something Spotify does). Spotify streams at 320KBPS while Rhapsody is at 128KBPS, which is pretty 1999 in my opinion.

I think the fact that Rhapsody has 800,000 US subscribers while Spotify has 1.6M European paid subscribers would indicate that Spotify is on a better trajectory.

Not arguing that Spotify is likely a better product than Rhapsody, although I've never been a subscriber of either. In fact, from what I've heard of it, I may well become a Spotify subscriber down the road. But it's a long way from there to iTunes killer/market domination. The #1 OMG feature -- "you can play any song anywhere any time for ten bucks a month" -- has already been available and it didn't turn the world on its head. So this just looks like an evolution of an existing product category to me, not a thunderclap like, say, the iPhone was. Could be wrong.

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2011, 04:00 AM
For those that have doubts about Spotify, read this piece. It's lengthy, but informative and fascinating.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-14/spotify-wins-over-music-pirates-with-labels-approval-correct-.html

Caseyfan21
07-16-2011, 04:21 PM
It's not that amazing. For me to own the amount of music that this service offers me, or the number of movies I can get from a service like Netflix, I would have to pay a lot of money. Or for less than $10 a month I can use as much of the service as I would like and at the end of the day not have something that I might not watch or listen to again. You are paying for access and options which is good on products like this. It works as long as a large number of people want to recieve the product this way and the cost stays low.

Exactly as you said...so what happens when Spotify gets really popular and decides they have enough of a subscribe base that they can raise their rates like Netflix did? What happens when that $10/month becomes $20. I'm not as against it as CE, but there is something to be said for actually keeping physical copies of music. Once you go the way of a Spotify, if for whatever reason it stops or increases rates beyond what what you want to play then what? I am a much bigger fan of the cloud music concept where you own the rights to your music but its on an internet server that you can access from anywhere. Time will tell which becomes more popular.

dougdirt
07-16-2011, 04:30 PM
You know what is great about CDs or records? I can resell them when I no longer want them. Can't do that with a virtual copy.

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Exactly as you said...so what happens when Spotify gets really popular and decides they have enough of a subscribe base that they can raise their rates like Netflix did? What happens when that $10/month becomes $20. I'm not as against it as CE, but there is something to be said for actually keeping physical copies of music. Once you go the way of a Spotify, if for whatever reason it stops or increases rates beyond what what you want to play then what? I am a much bigger fan of the cloud music concept where you own the rights to your music but its on an internet server that you can access from anywhere. Time will tell which becomes more popular.

The good news is, unlike netflix, there will be plenty of competition in this realm. Rhapsody already exists, I'm sure apple will enter this realm, the cloud for amazon, google and apple exist. There will be lots of options, unlike Netflix who has a real grip on their market share. The incentive to raise the price isn't as high here. The only way I envision the price going up is if the labels and rights owners demand more, which isn't out of the question.

Btw, anything you've already purchased, you already own. So regardless, you'll always get to keep those things.

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
You know what is great about CDs or records? I can resell them when I no longer want them. Can't do that with a virtual copy.

In case you haven't noticed, the value of used CDs and DVDs continues to plummet.

Caveat Emperor
07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
In case you haven't noticed, the value of used CDs and DVDs continues to plummet.

Wake me when they hit zero.

That's the value of a Spotify track or a digital download on the resale market.

fearofpopvol1
07-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Wake me when they hit zero.

That's the value of a Spotify track or a digital download on the resale market.

Same with a Netflix movie, something you have said to subscribe to.

LvJ
07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
For anyone wanting an invite, go here: http://www.spotify.com/us/coca-cola/

OldRightHander
07-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Listening to music you don't own? Sounds like radio to me.

wolfboy
07-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Or something like HBO.

paintmered
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
What does Spotify offer that Rhapsody doesn't?

fearofpopvol1
07-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Yet, it's not. Radio is curated, Spotify allows you to listen to whatever you want.

fearofpopvol1
07-17-2011, 04:52 PM
What does Spotify offer that Rhapsody doesn't?

You can listen to their entire library on your Mac or PC for free without paying a dime with ads or $5 a month with ads for PC/Mac and $10 for no ads with mobile or PC/Mac. They have a larger catalog (including albums that are released just in the UK), they have a better user interface, they have facebook integration and better overall features and userability.

GIK
07-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I signed up (thanks for the link); however, they're missing quite a few of the albums I'd like to listen to and I'm not entirely impressed. I also wasn't too pleased that it grabbed all of my iTunes playlists. I'll give it some time before I decide one way or the other.

fearofpopvol1
07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Honestly, some of the rights holders for some of the classics (most notably Led Zeppelin and The Beatles) have not given the green light. It took iTunes nearly a decade to get The Beatles. I think they will come around.

What's not to like about your iTunes playlists being loaded into Spotify? Consolidation I think is a good thing.

It's hard to complain too much about free IMO.

IslandRed
07-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I got an invite and downloaded Spotify, but I haven't installed it yet. Buried in the hype and documentation is the fact that Spotify uses peer-to-peer technology and turns your computer into one of its hubs while the Spotify client is running. I don't do open P2P.

Thankfully, the mobile version (which is how I'd want to use Spotify anyway) doesn't use P2P. So a subscription to that is still a possibility down the road.

fearofpopvol1
07-18-2011, 07:19 PM
If you're still not convinced, this gives you a lot more info about how to use all of the tools Spotify has...the geek's version more or less...

The Essential Spotify Tools

http://lifehacker.com/5821396/the-essential-spotify-tools

Redsfaithful
07-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Owning lots of books, movies, and music is borderline hoarderish.

I stopped when I realize it's always going to be out there if I want it. If I get rid of a book or a movie and I want to read it or see it again it's not at all difficult to do so, at a tiny monetary cost (if any - I'm pretty covered with Netflix, the library, etc). I see people with giant walls of DVDs and CDs and I just do not get it.

KronoRed
07-19-2011, 02:38 AM
I think as more ISP's impose bandwidth caps, which is inevitable, you will see streaming all the time services take a big hit.

fearofpopvol1
07-19-2011, 03:06 AM
I think as more ISP's impose bandwidth caps, which is inevitable, you will see streaming all the time services take a big hit.

I think this is more true of movies. Songs are pretty small and very small in comparison to music.

wolfboy
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
So I got an invite for the free version of Spotify, and I've been trying it out for the last few days. I thought I'd share a few quick thoughts.

I'm taken by how much UI reminds me of a Napster or Limewire more than something like Pandora. I can't really say it's good or bad, just different.

Spotify's is at its best when I know what I want to listen to, whether it's a particular artist, song or album. On the other hand, I haven't found a feature that allows you to do what Pandora does - create a station ahead of time that streams based on your preferences. I've had to manually create playlists, similar to iTunes. Not a big deal, but I was expecting some Pandora-like functionality. Still, I have to admit, it's nice to throw together a playlist and not worry about whether I've purchased that song/album already.

On the down side, I've noticed that it's incredibly buggy and slow. I'm running it on my computer at work, so that could be the issue. It still doesn't make the constant locking up and/or crashing any less annoying.

So far, I've enjoyed it. It's superiority to other music services isn't readily apparent, if that's the case at all. Still, I do like it, and I'm eager to see how they improve it. Unfortunately for Spotify, I'm probably not willing to pay for a premium subscription until I see some improvement.

Redsfaithful
07-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Try this to get some Pandora like functionality out of it, this made a big difference for me:

http://spotibot.com

fearofpopvol1
07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
So I got an invite for the free version of Spotify, and I've been trying it out for the last few days. I thought I'd share a few quick thoughts.

I'm taken by how much UI reminds me of a Napster or Limewire more than something like Pandora. I can't really say it's good or bad, just different.

Spotify's is at its best when I know what I want to listen to, whether it's a particular artist, song or album. On the other hand, I haven't found a feature that allows you to do what Pandora does - create a station ahead of time that streams based on your preferences. I've had to manually create playlists, similar to iTunes. Not a big deal, but I was expecting some Pandora-like functionality. Still, I have to admit, it's nice to throw together a playlist and not worry about whether I've purchased that song/album already.

On the down side, I've noticed that it's incredibly buggy and slow. I'm running it on my computer at work, so that could be the issue. It still doesn't make the constant locking up and/or crashing any less annoying.

So far, I've enjoyed it. It's superiority to other music services isn't readily apparent, if that's the case at all. Still, I do like it, and I'm eager to see how they improve it. Unfortunately for Spotify, I'm probably not willing to pay for a premium subscription until I see some improvement.

I can't speak for the bugs (though curious what bugs you've encountered), but the speed may be your work computer. It runs super fast on my home computer.

pedro
07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I love Rhapsody and have been a subscriber for several years.

Caveat Emperor
07-20-2011, 12:59 AM
I can't speak for the bugs (though curious what bugs you've encountered), but the speed may be your work computer. It runs super fast on my home computer.

fearofpopvol1 -- Spotify shareholder. ;)

fearofpopvol1
07-20-2011, 02:22 AM
fearofpopvol1 -- Spotify shareholder. ;)

Haha, I'm honestly not! I just really believe in the product and even though it's not perfect, I think it is going to change the way we listen to and consume music.

frenetic wave
07-20-2011, 03:30 AM
How is this similar or different to Grooveshark? Legality? Method of streaming/storing files? Selection and organization of the selection (no duplicates, standardized mp3 quality)?

wolfboy
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Try this to get some Pandora like functionality out of it, this made a big difference for me:

Thanks man. I'll check this out. :beerme:

wolfboy
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure of specific bugs, but it tends to crash a lot.

KittyDuran
07-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I love Rhapsody and have been a subscriber for several years.

Me too! Love the playlists. I actually enjoy the mobile app more. One of the better $15 I spend a month.

Redsfaithful
07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
How is this similar or different to Grooveshark? Legality? Method of streaming/storing files? Selection and organization of the selection (no duplicates, standardized mp3 quality)?

It's much cleaner and a better user experience, but I think the concept is pretty similar.

wolfboy
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Just as a follow up:

I sprung for the premium subscription for the hell of it. What can I say, I'm a sucker. I'm running the mobile app on my Droid without a problem. I'm going to try the pandora-like add on that Rf suggested.

cincyinco
07-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Just got my invite.. So I will try this in the morning and see what all the fuss is about.

justincredible
07-24-2011, 06:05 PM
I've been using the free service for the last week or so and sprung for the premium service today. Love it.

vaticanplum
08-13-2011, 12:41 PM

This is pretty nifty. Thanks for posting the link -- I told all my friends.

I just started using Spotify but I like it so far. Whoever said the interface reminds them of Limewire -- wow. Holy cow, it looks so much like it. The greatest thing about this so far for me is the shared music/playlists among friends. It's all right there. To me this is the void that it really fills in music services.

I'm still on just the free service, but I may well end up paying. I'm at the point in my life when I'd pay for a service over a material good most of the time. There's no need for me to go carting everything I own everywhere I go when I can put it all on a computer or ipod instead (with appropriate backup where needed). I think the reason services like this succeed is just that -- they recognize that consumers' wants and needs are changing.

edit: My god it even has a FEED for your friends' latest playlists, artists, etc. I didn't notice that before. This is great.

wolfboy
08-13-2011, 10:23 PM
This is pretty nifty. Thanks for posting the link -- I told all my friends.

I just started using Spotify but I like it so far. Whoever said the interface reminds them of Limewire -- wow. Holy cow, it looks so much like it. The greatest thing about this so far for me is the shared music/playlists among friends. It's all right there. To me this is the void that it really fills in music services.

I'm still on just the free service, but I may well end up paying. I'm at the point in my life when I'd pay for a service over a material good most of the time. There's no need for me to go carting everything I own everywhere I go when I can put it all on a computer or ipod instead (with appropriate backup where needed). I think the reason services like this succeed is just that -- they recognize that consumers' wants and needs are changing.

edit: My god it even has a FEED for your friends' latest playlists, artists, etc. I didn't notice that before. This is great.

VP - great to see you around. Naive question of the day: how do you do the shared music/playlists amongst friends?

vaticanplum
08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
VP - great to see you around. Naive question of the day: how do you do the shared music/playlists amongst friends?

Well, I connected to my friends via Facebook. I was wary of this at first, but then realized that I don't have to publish anything ON facebook, it will just automatically connect me to my FB friends with Spotify accounts if they've allowed it. So that was nice. And once I did that, there's just a feed that comes up every time I open spotify (on the "What's new" tab) that shows what people have published, shared, etc. Which is great. You can share and subscribe to these playlists too. And if your friends aren't on Facebook, you can look them up via their usernames (if you know them) by entering spotify:user:username in the search box. So if you add me, for example (my username is the same as mine on here), you will see all the playlists I share.

And then a friend of mine actually started a collaborative playlist that anyone with whom she shares it can contribute to. I'm not sure how she did it, but all i have to do is drag songs in from my itunes. You can also choose to share any playlists you already have set up on your itunes. It is supereasy.

Does all of that make sense? I am getting obsessed with spotify.

edit: oh, and also, besides the What's New feed, once you've connected with friends, you can also click on them individually and see playlists/songs they've shared.

fearofpopvol1
10-09-2011, 08:26 PM
The recent Facebook integration with Spotify has been awesome.