PDA

View Full Version : Something brewing?

Eric_the_Red
07-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Both Alonso and Mesoraco are missing from the Bats lineup today. Rest day? Post IL All-Star rest? Or perhaps a deal is in the works?

Enter wild speculation and rumors here....

klw
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
They have been traded to the Dodgers for the rights to Jeff Shaw in case he wants to come out of retirement.

wolfboy
07-15-2011, 04:51 PM
They have been traded to the Dodgers for the rights to Jeff Shaw in case he wants to come out of retirement.

Had me there for a second until I read the Jeff Shaw bit.

:runaway:

Edd Roush
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Both Alonso and Mesoraco are missing from the Bats lineup today. Rest day? Post IL All-Star rest? Or perhaps a deal is in the works?

Enter wild speculation and rumors here....

Wasn't the AAA All-Star game played at 9 pm and in Phoenix? If so, I am sure the Bats/Reds are just giving both stars a well-deserved off day.

Eric_the_Red
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Heisey leading off and starting in CF tonight too. Hmm......

Eric_the_Red
07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Wasn't the AAA All-Star game played at 9 pm and in Phoenix? If so, I am sure the Bats/Reds are just giving both stars a well-deserved off day.

This is no place for logic and sound reasoning. Wild speculation!! Unfounded rumors!!!! Loud noises!!!

Big Klu
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Salt Lake City, not Phoenix. But the point is still valid.

Edd Roush
07-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the correction, Klu. Mes and Alonso are still probably struggling to get used to the Eastern time zone and a day off is well-deserved.

klw
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Had me there for a second until I read the Jeff Shaw bit.

:runaway:

I am sorry. I am now hearing that they were told to stay in Phoenix after the AAA all star game as they are being swapped for Micah Owings and the recently DFA'd Wily Mo.

Yeah that's the ticket.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IvZc0zycMCM/Rl28iV8S6PI/AAAAAAAABH8/Zn6GpzK2LHo/s200/liar-liar.jpg

dunner13
07-15-2011, 05:33 PM
My 3rd cousins brothers friend used to work with a guy who's nephew's brothers friend was a clubhouse attendant for the rockies and he said that Ubaldo Jimenez has been looking at houses for sale in cincinnati online all afternoon

blumj
07-15-2011, 05:35 PM
My 3rd cousins brothers friend used to work with a guy who's nephew's brothers friend was a clubhouse attendant for the rockies and he said that Ubaldo Jimenez has been looking at houses for sale in cincinnati online all afternoon

I believe you. But what's a 3rd cousin?

reds44
07-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Stubbs, Yonder, and Mes for Ubaldo. Deal.

The Voice of IH
07-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Clearly they have traded Ramon Hernandez and Alonso to the Giants for Tim Lincecum.

CySeymour
07-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Shoot! If this had been a couple of months earlier, he could have had Carson Palmer's house!

dougdirt
07-15-2011, 05:44 PM

The game was on Wednesday though and they both played yesterday for the Bats.

RichRed
07-15-2011, 05:46 PM
The game was on Wednesday though and they both played yesterday for the Bats.

Smoking gun!

The Operator
07-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Be patient guys, this could take a while.

http://www.ibdasiapac.com.au/img/the-brewing-process.jpg

*BaseClogger*
07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
But I'm thirsty!

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
I could see one potentially being involved in a deal, but both? Who'd the Reds get back ... Verlander?

redsmetz
07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I could see one potentially being involved in a deal, but both? Who'd the Reds get back ... Verlander?

Could be Alonso in a trade with one of the ML catchers & Mez to Cincinnati to replace that catcher.

dougdirt
07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Could be Alonso in a trade with one of the ML catchers & Mez to Cincinnati to replace that catcher.

Or Alonso pulled a muscle in his stomach this afternoon laughing at this: http://yfrog.com/kh6y8ej

And Mesoraco is just getting a day off because he is a catcher.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-15-2011, 06:32 PM

True. Either way, I'm certain this has nothing to do with resting from an All-star game played 48 hours ago in Salt Lake, especially since both played for Louisville yesterday.

Joseph
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I bet we're close to getting Kearns and Lopez back in order to make up for that whole debacle.

;)

Brutus
07-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Looks like the trade deadline speculation of who's in/out of the lineup has reached a fever pitch early this season!

In seriousness though, I do agree it's highly unusual for two players of their caliber to both be out of the lineup in a given game. I'm guessing there's a reasonable explanation, but it's interesting to consider nonetheless.

GADawg
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
I believe you. But what's a 3rd cousin?

that's one you can marry....or at least date.

marcshoe
07-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Obviously not Shaw alone--the Reds' get the rights to the recently retired Juan Castro as well.

07-15-2011, 08:54 PM
that's one you can marry....or at least date.

Not sure you'd want to, 3rd cousin is one that is seperated by 3 generations, or basically the same generation as your grandmother or granddaughter.

marcshoe
07-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Not sure you'd want to, 3rd cousin is one that is seperated by 3 generations, or basically the same generation as your grandmother or granddaughter.

fwiw, according to an old Dear Abby column, that would be a first cousin twice removed. According to the column, kids of first cousins are second cousins, kids of second cousins are third cousins, and so on. I don't know that there's an official office that tracks such things, but that's what Abby said way back when, and she was never, ever, ever wrong. Otherwise, they wouldn't have put her in the newspaper! ;)

LoganBuck
07-15-2011, 11:44 PM
They are taking time to pursue other interests.

http://www.bfro.net/news/roundup/expeds_2011.asp

Edskin
07-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Looks like they are Toronto bound... Rumors still circulating about te return, but all reports are that Corey Patterson is the centerpiece.

toledodan
07-16-2011, 02:53 AM
kinda funny how nothing has came about from this. did anyone see alonso or mesoroco in the louisville dugout tonight?

toledodan
07-16-2011, 03:03 AM
to answer my own question mes pinch run but no alonso in the box score.

_Sir_Charles_
07-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Might've just been a thing with the matchups. They were facing John Danks last night I believe.

Caveat Emperor
07-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Stubbs, Yonder, and Mes for Ubaldo. Deal.

I'd be very unhappy with any deal that involved Devin Mesoraco. You just don't trade Cs that profile to be mid-order bats.

Tony Cloninger
07-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I am more worried about Rick Sweet thinking batting Janish 2nd ...and now Negron leading off ...is actually a good way to fill out a lineup.

dougdirt
07-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I am more worried about Rick Sweet thinking batting Janish 2nd ...and now Negron leading off ...is actually a good way to fill out a lineup.

Eh, two regulars were out of the line up last night. Kind of throws a wrench into things a bit. Two nights ago Sappelt led off and Negron wasn't starting. Take out two middle of the order bats and you have to do a little moving around. Sappelt went to 3rd in the line up. It isn't a big deal.

Brutus
07-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I'd be very unhappy with any deal that involved Devin Mesoraco. You just don't trade Cs that profile to be mid-order bats.

I think you do if it nets you someone like Ubaldo--who will be making just $9 million the next couple years combined.

Besides, it's not like the cupboard is bare at that position. Grandal is a nice consolation prize and backup plan if Mesoraco must be included in such trade. I'd ordinarily agree, but since we've firmly established you win now, not later, if Mesoraco is what would hypothetically be stopping the Reds from making such a trade, I'd have to do it.

Tony Cloninger
07-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Eh, two regulars were out of the line up last night. Kind of throws a wrench into things a bit. Two nights ago Sappelt led off and Negron wasn't starting. Take out two middle of the order bats and you have to do a little moving around. Sappelt went to 3rd in the line up. It isn't a big deal.

I'm sure it isn't.....but it's a slow day and I need to get my complaining out of the way before I saw what Dusty's lineup looked like.

I had high hopes for Puckett moving up but he tumbled fast after a great start and then got injured.