PDA

View Full Version : Thanks BP

CrosleyField
07-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks Brandon. I can't think of anyone on the team I would rather have seen hit a walkoff against the Cardinals.

texasdave
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Brandon earned some major props with that jack.

Hillsdale87
07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
It was great. I have quite a few friends who are Cardinals fans, and all they said was "I wish it was anybody but him". Just makes it all that much sweeter!

drowg14
07-16-2011, 11:26 AM
The first thing I thought of when I was watching this last night, and his celebration has he rounded first, was BP is getting one right in the ear tonight from Carpy.

mroby85
07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
The first thing I thought of when I was watching this last night, and his celebration has he rounded first, was BP is getting one right in the ear tonight from Carpy.

If he does Pujols better get one in the ear for admiring his before shooshing the crowd when he was on his way back to the dugout. That being said, I'll be surprised if Phillips doesn't get hit tonight too, lol.

Old NDN
07-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I didn't think his celebration was a big deal. He jumped up in the air before he got to first, looked at the Reds' dugout and continued on around the bases. He didn't point fingers, glare into the Cards' dugout, or mouth off at anyone. Looked like he was talking to himself as he continued his trot. No "styling" IMO. Just one happy dude.

justincredible
07-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Phillips did absolutely nothing wrong in his celebration. It's mind boggling how hypocritical the Cards/their fans can be complaining about Phillips when Pujols does stuff like this after a walk-off HR:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15583213

And I see nothing wrong with what Pujols did. At all.

justincredible
07-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Also, this: http://lockerz.com/s/120811497

10xWSChamps
07-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Phillips did absolutely nothing wrong in his celebration. It's mind boggling how hypocritical the Cards/their fans can be complaining about Phillips when Pujols does stuff like this after a walk-off HR:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15583213

And I see nothing wrong with what Pujols did. At all.

Where are the Cardinals players or fans complaining about this? I haven't read or heard anything about it. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Off the field, I don't respect Phillips. On the field, I certainly do and I'm sure every member of the Cardinals does too.

Maybe that can change. Phillips gave a classy interview to FSMW after the game and didn't take any shots even when goaded to do so by the reporter.

Tuff Nut
07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
It was great. I have quite a few friends who are Cardinals fans, and all they said was "I wish it was anybody but him". Just makes it all that much sweeter!
This. Got a text from one saying so. Even going so far as to say they'd rather had Votto hit it, than Brandon. Being from the heart of STL country myself, I know that had to hurt worse, than the loss itself.

10xWSChamps
07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
This. Got a text from one saying so. Even going so far as to say they'd rather had Votto hit it, than Brandon. Being from the heart of STL country myself, I know that had to hurt worse, than the loss itself.

The loss was worse. I certainly didn't want to see Phillips, of all people on the Reds, hit one out. But the comments are a year old so the hatred of Phillips is waning a bit. Honestly at this point I think people are madder at Volquez for ending LaRue's career by kicking his head then they are at Brandon for his comments.

People will still boo him, probably into next season. But it's a lighthearted booing really. I've had the pleasure to boo Brandon twice at Busch this year but you can tell the crowd is just having fun with it more then anything.

If I had to pick anyone to hit that homer it would have been Rolen. Because at least it can be guaranteed that he is a classy guy because, well, he was a Cardinal at one point. :D

NCCardfan
07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
The loss was worse. I certainly didn't want to see Phillips, of all people on the Reds, hit one out. But the comments are a year old so the hatred of Phillips is waning a bit. Honestly at this point I think people are madder at Volquez for ending LaRue's career by kicking his head then they are at Brandon for his comments.

People will still boo him, probably into next season. But it's a lighthearted booing really. I've had the pleasure to boo Brandon twice at Busch this year but you can tell the crowd is just having fun with it more then anything.

If I had to pick anyone to hit that homer it would have been Rolen. Because at least it can be guaranteed that he is a classy guy because, well, he was a Cardinal at one point. :D

It was Cueto that kicked LaRue and Carpenter during that fight, not Volquez. I wanted Cueto to lose the game a lot more than I wanted BP to win the game.

LeDoux
07-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Honestly at this point I think people are madder at Volquez for ending LaRue's career by kicking his head then they are at Brandon for his comments.

You have the wrong guy in your mental jail. You are thinking of Cueto.

I would think a year after the fact that Cards fans would have dropped this. LaRue was not an innocent bystander. His head was not in range of Cueto's foot by accident. I do not understand why Cards fans seem blind to the aggressive and taunting actions of their own players.

10xWSChamps
07-16-2011, 05:43 PM
You have the wrong guy in your mental jail. You are thinking of Cueto.

I would think a year after the fact that Cards fans would have dropped this. LaRue was not an innocent bystander. His head was not in range of Cueto's foot by accident. I do not understand why Cards fans seem blind to the aggressive and taunting actions of their own players.

Doh, can't believe I said Volquez.

It's hard to forget things like that. Actions speak louder then words.

Also, shame on LaRue for getting his head too close to Cueto's foot

Really though I don't want to get in a discussion about it so you can reply and have the last word on that topic if you want

LeDoux
07-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Doh, can't believe I said Volquez.

It's hard to forget things like that. Actions speak louder then words.

Also, shame on LaRue for getting his head too close to Cueto's foot

Really though I don't want to get in a discussion about it so you can reply and have the last word on that topic if you want

I am really not interested in "getting the last word." Cards and Reds fans will always see that fight differently. But if you come on a Reds fansite and write about poor little Jason LaRue you are begging for some controversy; and will receive little sympathy for your position. If you don't want to discuss it, I'd suggest keeping those thoughts to the Cards forums.

justincredible
07-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Where are the Cardinals players or fans complaining about this? I haven't read or heard anything about it. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Twitter was on fire last night with Cards fans complaining about Phillips. Also, don't call me a lady.

mroby85
07-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I am really not interested in "getting the last word." Cards and Reds fans will always see that fight differently. But if you come on a Reds fansite and write about poor little Jason LaRue you are begging for some controversy; and will receive little sympathy for your position. If you don't want to discuss it, I'd suggest keeping those thoughts to the Cards forums.

Razzle
07-16-2011, 06:23 PM
I hated that he hit a walkoff homer last night, but dear lord do I enjoy Brandon Phillips. He may not be politically correct, but I've read many things he's done off the field that make me think he's a pretty good guy. All of this lighthearted fun he has with the media/Cards make me enjoy him more.

Tuff Nut
07-16-2011, 06:32 PM

My Cardinal friends are sorta split on Brandon. Most just have a hatred for him, because he called their team,b's, and in their eyes, he is an instigator, and a thug. The others, dislike him, but respect him, as a player. They boo him, but like you said, if is a respectful boo, much like I've heard Reds' fans do Molina. IMO, It's all good, now. As for the incident; Brandon shoulda just let it go, after he go kicked away, the first time, and just smiled, his BP smile.

NCCardfan
07-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't usually copy/paste posts but here's what I said about Phillips when somebody posted about last years fight:

BP has told every catcher in every game I've seen him in say 'hello' during his first at-bat, lots of players do that and Yadi doesn't react to it.
When the first game of that series started, none of the players had been told about what BP said - he may have mentioned it in the Reds locker room and none of us will truly know who knew about it before the game on the day BP called the Cardinals (a female animal, usually a canine)es. The Cardinal team learned about the comments after that game.
The next night, BP came up to bat and said 'hello'. That was not the day to say anything. How 'bout I call you what he said and show up the next day and say 'hello'. You probably would introduce my face to your fist and I'd deserve it.

All I'm saying is that when BP 'spoke' to Yadi, he said "I'm not your (female animal, usually a canine) and had positions been reversed you would have expected Hannagan to say the same thing. Should BP have said it - probably not but I do admire his spunk for doing so. I've read some of the things he does and have gained a lot of respect for him in the last few months but he did do a 'foot in the mouth' moment during the interview. To say that he " Hates the Cardinals" was ok by me but he's better than the name calling part. JMHO

The whole thing has blown over for the most part as far as I can see.

10xWSChamps
07-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Twitter was on fire last night with Cards fans complaining about Phillips. Also, don't call me a lady.

Sorry wasn't trying to call you a lady, it was a Shakespeare quote, just wanted to use the connotation behind it.

bounty37h
07-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I hated that he hit a walkoff homer last night, but dear lord do I enjoy Brandon Phillips. He may not be politically correct, but I've read many things he's done off the field that make me think he's a pretty good guy. All of this lighthearted fun he has with the media/Cards make me enjoy him more.

Razzle, be careful, Im starting to warm up to you a little bit :)

Razzle
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Razzle, be careful, Im starting to warm up to you a little bit :)

Fear not, when it comes down to it I'm still one of those vermin Cardinal fans. :p

As for BP, he's an enjoyable player that I would kill to have. While I wasn't big on the whole altercation last year, I don't fault Phillips any more than I fault many other players involved. And everything since then that I've heard has been good things off the field. The lunchables quote about St. Louis had me rolling. He just seems like a guy who interacts well with fans and I think we need more of his type in the game.