PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro batting .260. Is he done?

Blitz Dorsey
07-16-2011, 11:00 PM
He's never been a good OPS guy, but this year even his batting average is bad (.260). Never thought I'd see that out of Ichiro. Then again, he is 37. We probably think of him as younger than he is since he didn't arrive in MLB until he was 26 or so.

Oh well, what a hell of a player he has been. But it looks like he's close to done. At least in terms of being an elite player.

MikeThierry
07-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm not ready to call it on him. He has been such a consistent player that it might be too early to say that he is done. You are right though, he is getting up in age. Still, this might be one of those traditional off years that most major league players have. I would still want him on my team, lol.

Edd Roush
07-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Wow, Blitz, I didn't realize Ichiro was having such a poor season. Before this season, he never had a big league season with an OPS+ of under 100. This year he has an OPS + of 80. Granted, there is still time for Ichiro to bounce back, but it appears that he could be on the downslide of his career.

reds1869
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Ichiro has always scratched out a lot of extra hits with his speed. Just watching him this year it is very apparent he has lost a step. His BABIP has seen a huge drop off, which in most players would suggest a bounce back is in order. I'm not so sure with Ichiro, as a big chunk of the lost hits are now infield ground outs. Oddly enough his BB% is up a tick.