PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

kaldaniels
09-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Hank now knows. He will put things together quickly. Walt's sudden fortune etc....

But what will Hank's next move be? Direct confrontation? Jesse seems to be the only other known connection left. All of Hank's recent troubles have been caused by Walt. I can't wait.

And what was Jesse gonna do with that gun?

09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Are you serious? Who's going to think to move a book from a bathroom?

That's a minor detail that anyone could forget.

WW isn't anyone, he's a meth dealer trying to hide his identity from his DEA agent brother in law. WW has been so meticulous and careful, there is no way he would keep that book. No freakin' way.

19braves77
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
WW isn't anyone, he's a meth dealer trying to hide his identity from his DEA agent brother in law. WW has been so meticulous and careful, there is no way he would keep that book. No freakin' way.

You remember that mass murdered from Kansas City who appeared out of nowhere after 18 years ? He wrote a note with his church's computer because the local media was getting ready to declare him dead, in jail, or moved away. The guys pride made him resend a brand new letter on a floppy disk to a news reporter. The FBI analyzed the disc and tracked it to the local church. They were amused that the guy left fingerprints on both the disc and computer. He is in jail now.

Criminals usually get caught over simple things.

Ohayou
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
They should have ended the episode like this:

Hank: Holy sh--
*fade to black*
*plop*

Only a guy like Hank would go to the master bathroom to take a crap in somebody else's house.

Hank found a note Gail wrote to a W.W., and when hank jokingly said it could be Walter White (which it was), Walt told hank it was probably Walt Whitman. Now hank finds a book with a note again to "My other W.W." in walt's house. Now he knows who his Heisenberg really is.

What an episode. The prison scene made me sick, and Jesse tossing his gun away after Walt's visit was one of the most powerful things I've seen. These next 44 weeks are going to be agonizing. It's Hank vs Walt next summer, and I'm Team Orange all the way.

In case anybody missed it, the note reads as "To my other favorite W.W. It's an honour working with you. Fondly, G.B."

Some people actually believe G.B. stands for Gretchen Black and not Gale Boetticher. :rolleyes:

09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
You remember that mass murdered from Kansas City who appeared out of nowhere after 18 years ? He wrote a note with his church's computer because the local media was getting ready to declare him dead, in jail, or moved away. The guys pride made him resend a brand new letter on a floppy disk to a news reporter. The FBI analyzed the disc and tracked it to the local church. They were amused that the guy left fingerprints on both the disc and computer. He is in jail now.

Criminals usually get caught over simple things.

Mass murderers are a unique breed, very different from drug dealers. Mass murderers usually do it for attention and fame, and want to be caught. Drug dealers do it for money and don't want to get caught.

ervinsm84
09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
So WW can pull off eliminating 8 guys in three different prisons in a two minute period, but is dumb enough to leave incriminating evidence in his bathroom when his DEA agent brother in law comes over? Really????

We got it the other 9 times you've brought up stuff like that. You don't like the show anymore for the same type of reasons you've nitpicked all season.

ervinsm84
09-03-2012, 10:56 AM
WW isn't anyone, he's a meth dealer trying to hide his identity from his DEA agent brother in law. WW has been so meticulous and careful, there is no way he would keep that book. No freakin' way. Are we even watching the same show? How has Walt been meticulous and careful at all? He's the definition of wreckless and out of control.

kaldaniels
09-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Dumb move by Walt if you ask me. But it could happen.

However after his first "close call" with "W.W." (the flashback scene), he should have put 2 and 2 together and pitched the Whitman book.

19braves77
09-03-2012, 11:14 AM

However after his first "close call" with "W.W." (the flashback scene), he should have put 2 and 2 together and pitched the Whitman book.

Its never been shown that Walt has actually read what Gale wrote or when he received the book. You see Walt reading the book in his condo .I will not be shocked if the 2nd story arch starts with us being shown Gale writing the note to Walt and Walt thinking very little of the being given the book.

Little things like this make Breaking Bad awesome:

http://i.imgur.com/Dq7Pv.gif

Awesome song: I bet they paid a pretty penny to use this.....

Crystal Blue Persuasion by Tommy James and the Shondells

Every song they've used has not only been super awesome, but goes so well with the scene it is attached too. I am always telling my wife I hate when shows or movies use terrible songs for no reason.

kaldaniels
09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Yep the music has been top-notch this year.

19braves77
09-03-2012, 12:00 PM

One other thing that helps Hank connect the dots:

During the dinner scene where Walt got drunk on wine and told Hank that Gale isn't the guy he was looking for and that Gale was simply following instructions from someone else.

Prideful drug dealers do stupid things all the time.

Also I would like to apologize for my stupid typing errors. My typing skills on the Ipad are lacking.

WildcatFan
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Hank now knows. He will put things together quickly. Walt's sudden fortune etc....

But what will Hank's next move be? Direct confrontation? Jesse seems to be the only other known connection left. All of Hank's recent troubles have been caused by Walt. I can't wait.

And what was Jesse gonna do with that gun?

Jesse went and got the gun when he saw it was Walt at his door. He knows Walt is tying up loose ends and was prepared to defend himself if Walt tried to kill him.

I think Hank goes to Jesse, which will be a defining moment of how loyal he's gonna stay to Walt. I think Jesse squeals.

kaldaniels
09-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Jesse went and got the gun when he saw it was Walt at his door. He knows Walt is tying up loose ends and was prepared to defend himself if Walt tried to kill him.

I think Hank goes to Jesse, which will be a defining moment of how loyal he's gonna stay to Walt. I think Jesse squeals.

I've thought that. Could Jesse get immunity for the murder of Gail?

camisadelgolf
09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
I could see the show ending with Jesse killing Walter. I really don't think Walt's going to go down without a fight, and Jesse's on a moral kick.

19braves77
09-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Did anybody else catch this : the picture that Walt was looking at during the planning of the mass prison kill was the same picture he was looking at during his therapy session when he was in a fugue state.

I wonder how many other things I miss.

Redsfaithful
09-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Alan Sepinwall is a good read for things like that, here's his recap of this last episode:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/mid-season-finale-review-breaking-bad-gliding-over-all-the-bathroom-reader

WildcatFan
09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I've thought that. Could Jesse get immunity for the murder of Gail?

I doubt full immunity for murder, but if it means nabbing Heisenberg, Hank may fight for a very limited sentence. Maybe even a blind eye while Jesse makes a run for it.

I keep wondering who the bag of guns is meant for in the flash forward at the beginning of the season. Hank? Jesse? Todd? It's not going to end well for the White family, that's for sure.

Brutus
09-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I doubt full immunity for murder, but if it means nabbing Heisenberg, Hank may fight for a very limited sentence. Maybe even a blind eye while Jesse makes a run for it.

I keep wondering who the bag of guns is meant for in the flash forward at the beginning of the season. Hank? Jesse? Todd? It's not going to end well for the White family, that's for sure.

The beginning scene could be a swerve to throw people off.

WildcatFan
09-04-2012, 11:17 AM
The beginning scene could be a swerve to throw people off.

That's true--it just seems it would be out of character. They tend to throw misdirects at you, but the "52" and the guns were very real.

Ooh, maybe the events of the show will end before the 52nd birthday with Walt getting away, and they're setting up a movie based on his return to Albuquerque! Now you've got me fidgety.

Brutus
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
That's true--it just seems it would be out of character. They tend to throw misdirects at you, but the "52" and the guns were very real.

Ooh, maybe the events of the show will end before the 52nd birthday with Walt getting away, and they're setting up a movie based on his return to Albuquerque! Now you've got me fidgety.

That's kind of been my thinking. Either a movie or the scene we witnessed at the beginning isn't indicative of how the show will end, but rather will be some place late in the second half of the season before things wind up settling down.

Make no mistake, if I'm putting down money, perhaps Walt's going to end up in jail, or, more likely, on the run or dead... possibly even with some of his family dead or completely alienated. But I also think the predictable endings aren't always the safest bet with a clever writing crew. This one feels like something we didn't see coming.

WMR
09-05-2012, 12:39 AM
I've been able to buy into everything so far, but I just don't believe Walt would have brought that book into his house or have left it there after the Walt Whitman conversation with Hank.

camisadelgolf
09-05-2012, 02:52 AM
I've been able to buy into everything so far, too. After the prisoners were killed, I'm sure Walt was feeling like, "Okay, I've got everything taken care of. Things are good. I'm awesome, and I did it." But as his ego has escalated, he has gotten increasingly sloppy. I don't know if you've ever been in a position like that, but it happens. I know it has happened to me. But then again, I've been told on multiple occasions that I can act like a psychopath, and the same can be said for Walter White.

And just food for thought . . .

*POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST BECAUSE IT MIGHT RUIN FUTURE EPISODES*

When Walter and Gale first met, Gale found out that Walter is already a big Walt Whitman fan. Why would Gale give Walter a book that there's a good chance Walter already owned?

Also, Walter White + Gretchen Schwartz (which is German for 'Black') = Grey Matter. Just sayin'. Regardless of whether this is the direction they're going, Hank already has the seed planted in his head. It will be very interesting to see what his next move is.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 03:12 AM
I've been able to buy into everything so far, too. After the prisoners were killed, I'm sure Walt was feeling like, "Okay, I've got everything taken care of. Things are good. I'm awesome, and I did it." But as his ego has escalated, he has gotten increasingly sloppy. I don't know if you've ever been in a position like that, but it happens. I know it has happened to me. But then again, I've been told on multiple occasions that I can act like a psychopath, and the same can be said for Walter White.

And just food for thought . . .

*POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST BECAUSE IT MIGHT RUIN FUTURE EPISODES*

When Walter and Gale first met, Gale found out that Walter is already a big Walt Whitman fan. Why would Gale give Walter a book that there's a good chance Walter already owned?

Also, Walter White + Gretchen Schwartz (which is German for 'Black') = Grey Matter. Just sayin'. Regardless of whether this is the direction they're going, Hank already has the seed planted in his head. It will be very interesting to see what his next move is.

I also think it's noteworthy that Mike has said repeatedly he considers Walt a loose cannon and very reckless. So in Mike's world, or at least the world of meth distribution, Walt was already someone capable of slipping up on a small detail. So leaving a book behind in his bathroom, a place he probably regarded as a sanctuary, seems consistent with a man that was basically told he was a walking target.

kaldaniels
09-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Was the handwriting on each of the "W.W." notes the same?

camisadelgolf
09-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Good question. I'll double-check that sometime this week.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Ask and ye shall receive:

From Season 4, Episode 4 (Bullet Points), the note found in Gale's writing's:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/thespecialk80/BB0404.png

From Season 5, Episode 8 (Gliding All Over), the note inscribed in Walt's Leaves of Grass book from Gale:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/thespecialk80/BB0506.png

kaldaniels
09-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Thank you Brutus! Have we met before? :D

O.K., if I am splitting hairs, they look a bit different. Notice the spacing between letters and also the difference between the word "To" - the "o" is proportionally different in size. But in reality this is a TV show we are dealing with and the writing is similar enough (if not the same) to assume that the same person wrote it.

The word "honour" is spelled the British way I notice.

Homer Bailey
09-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for posting that, Brutus.

Even if the handwriting does not, match does it really matter? There is enough there for Hank to at least suspect, which is all that he really needed, correct? It's not like this link is going to incriminate Walt directly. It's just that now Hank suspects Walt, and he's going to be seeking the evidence he needs now. Right?

kaldaniels
09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks for posting that, Brutus.

Even if the handwriting does not, match does it really matter? There is enough there for Hank to at least suspect, which is all that he really needed, correct? It's not like this link is going to incriminate Walt directly. It's just that now Hank suspects Walt, and he's going to be seeking the evidence he needs now. Right?

That is true, the lightbulb has gone off in Hank's head and there is no putting that toothpaste back in the tube.

But aside from interrogation, what solid evidence is Hank likely to come up with at this juncture? I'm not arguing that he won't come up with something, but am fascinated at the possibilties.

Brutus
09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Thank you Brutus! Have we met before? :D

O.K., if I am splitting hairs, they look a bit different. Notice the spacing between letters and also the difference between the word "To" - the "o" is proportionally different in size. But in reality this is a TV show we are dealing with and the writing is similar enough (if not the same) to assume that the same person wrote it.

The word "honour" is spelled the British way I notice.

To be honest, I've written in all caps fairly often and I think the writing looks like it's by the same person (and in reality, it probably was the same person that wrote it). I know when I'm writing on a lined piece of paper versus one without lines, the penmanship changes slightly within the consistency and size of my letters. I would think those subtle changes you referenced would be expected on two different pieces of paper.

WMR
09-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I wonder if the money Mike successfully stowed for his Granddaughter was confiscated.

09-05-2012, 09:14 PM

I imagine they were both written by the same Props PA working on the show, so I'm pretty sure they match ;)

19braves77
09-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Possible ending of Breaking Bad foreshadowing:

During his insider podcast, creator Vince Gilligan, placed significant importance on the name Lydia, as a clue toward the ending of S5. As an avid reader, and follower of history, the tale of Lydia came to mind. The land of Lydia is known in Greek Mythology for its two Kings, Midas and Croesus... the story of Croesus…

The story of King Croesus:
1. According to Herodotus he was the most powerful man of all antiquity
2. He becomes blinded by his power and his willingness for complete control, even after the advice of his elders and the wise man, Solon.
3. Shortly afterward, his beloved son dies in a freak accident
4. In response, his wife commits suicide, leading Croesus alone with his only daughter, he then falls into a state of rage and recklessness, declares all out war on his inferior enemy, and because of his ignorance, leads to his complete downfall. In the end he is allowed to live, but would have preferred death. ( the story is also explained by Tolstoy in his work, Croesus and Fate.

In addition, at the beginning of episode 5.1. Walt says he is staying in town to protect one person… In a recent interview, Hank foretells the significance of Holly and the threats against her life.

19braves77
09-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Question:

Who is staring at Hank at the end of Season in the car when he tells Skylar "I won!"

bucksfan2
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Just finished watching all of BB. I didn't exactly like the last scene when Hank finds the book. I thought that sets the final season in motion a little too quickly.

All along I have thought the cancer gets Walt before any law enforcement. My major question is does Hank put it all together? Does he "know" Walt is Heizenberg? What about the money? Does Marie tell Skylar that Hank is on Walt's trail? Does Hank find out Skylar is involved with Walt? Does Hank realize that drug money paid for his rehab?

camisadelgolf
09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
If this ends with Walt dying of cancer, it's going to be one of the most disappointing ("predictable") finales of all-time.

sonny
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Just finished watching all of BB. I didn't exactly like the last scene when Hank finds the book. I thought that sets the final season in motion a little too quickly.

All along I have thought the cancer gets Walt before any law enforcement. My major question is does Hank put it all together? Does he "know" Walt is Heizenberg? What about the money? Does Marie tell Skylar that Hank is on Walt's trail? Does Hank find out Skylar is involved with Walt? Does Hank realize that drug money paid for his rehab?

I think it's going to be a pretty neat game of cat and mouse. Hank has to build a case around his suspicion, all the whole fighting his urge to disbelieve it. Meanwhile, Walt is blissfully ignorant of this as he dismantles his empire. Should be pretty entertaining.

I personally think Walt kills Hank. I say this only because of Hank's mimicking shooting himself in the head whole listening to Walt's "marriage issues" while in his office. Vince Gilligan is pretty deliberate in these kinds of minutia.

bucksfan2
09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
If this ends with Walt dying of cancer, it's going to be one of the most disappointing ("predictable") finales of all-time.

Not necessarily. The final 8 (I believe) will be about Walt dismantling his empire as well as Hank trying to catch Heizenberg. I think he tries to build a case which will lead to some fighting between Skylar and Marie.

I think Jessie gets killed. In any well written series once someone seems to make the change for the good they are done away with. If I were to bet I think Hank gets to Jessie.

I am interested to see where the final episodes lead. For a while Walt was focused on making his number, a fact Jessie brought up in this past series. Then Walt was focused on building his Meth empire, with the Methylamine gone, Mike dead, and Jessie out I think that story line is dead. Todd and his Uncle may be the one story line I have no idea where it goes.

cinreds21
10-05-2012, 03:35 AM
I just got into Breaking Bad. I started a few weeks ago and am fully caught up. I absolutely love this show. The opening the the first half of season five tells me that Walter is on the run at some point. He obviously used Sal's guy to make him disappear. Now if that happens right away, or at the end, I don't know. I am counting down until the latter half of season five begins.

Magnets...

camisadelgolf
10-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Something I saw on twitter:
*potential spoiler*
Crazy 8 cut the crust off his sandwiches, Walt kills him, and then he cuts the crusts off his sandwiches.
Gus drove a Volvo, then Walt killed him, and then Walt started acting like him and driving a Volvo.
Walt killed Mike, and he started drinking the same drink.
Walt made his age in his breakfast, which Skyler used to do.
Just saying?

sonny
10-05-2012, 08:10 AM
*potential spoiler*
Crazy 8 cut the crust off his sandwiches, Walt kills him, and then he cuts the crusts off his sandwiches.
Gus drove a Volvo, then Walt killed him, and then Walt started acting like him and driving a Volvo.
Just saying?

Holy moley, that's interesting.

cinreds21
10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
OMG

sonny
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
In the opening scene of season five at Denny's, Walt uses Skylar's last name in his fake ID. Hmmm.

I'd sure like to know how they're going to wrap all this up in just 8 episodes. Honestly, it will seem odd that Walt's transformation into Heisenberg was so gradual, spanning nearly 5 seasons, but the resolution to everything will be at a comparative break neck speed. I hope they do it well.

Homer Bailey
10-11-2012, 12:32 PM
*potential spoiler*
Just saying?

Mind... blown.

Remind me again on the drink? What was it Walt was drinking?

Degenerate39
10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
The opening of season 5 confused me. Why was he at Denny's meeting the guy for weapons then it goes back to where season 4 left off?

Larry Schuler
10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
The opening of season 5 confused me. Why was he at Denny's meeting the guy for weapons then it goes back to where season 4 left off?

Exactly.

Your questions are the answer to your questions. That flash forward is supposed to make you guess why and make presumptions until they reveal what led to it.

sonny
10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Slight alternate ending. Might answer some questions.

http://youtu.be/q8_wsx3V7TE

medford
10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
After a delayed start we finally caught up on season 4 last night. I loved this half of the season as much as the previous 4. I like some of the theories on where the show is going and ultimately ending.

to those that have given up on the show (or any show) b/c it fails to meet some unrealistic level of perfection, good luck enjoying TV.

I avoided this thread until I caught up w/ the first 8 episodes of season 5 and it was fun reading the speculation and questions (particularly the money making side) in light of knowing what happens later in the season after the original remark was made (like Skylar hitting Walt in with just how much money he's made; I also enjoyed that while it was a huge pile of money, it actually feels realistic in terms of a crapload of money not actually taking as much space as the average person would assume)

sonny
11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
From Aaron Paul's twitter:

"@aaronpaul_8: I just finished reading the first episode of the final season of Breaking Bad and words can not express what I just experienced. Holy $&@!"

gilpdawg
11-29-2012, 02:11 AM
I've been avoiding this thread for months while I watched the whole series. Now I can't wait for July!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Plus Plus
12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djaLf6bgFuU

Something to chew on for breaking bad fans until season 5 starts up again. I hope this isn't a repost...

gilpdawg
12-18-2012, 12:53 AM
That's fantastic.

Razor Shines
06-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I've been re watching the series over the last few weeks. One of the funniest things about the show is how Walt has progressed in pretending different people are on the phone.

My favorite is when Hank is in the hospital and Jesse has Walt paged over the intercom for the second time. Walt picks up the courtesy phone surrounded by DEA and other law enforcement and as Jesse screams "Where are you!?!" Walt calmly says "Reverend, so good of you to call."

vaticanplum
07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Just wanted to pop in to say that I have just finished season 4. So I had to skip the last several pages of this thread, but I so enjoyed catching up with your year-old Season 4 theories earlier on.

I have to watch the first half of Season 5 this week while I have access to cable. This show is incredible, beautifully shot and acted, but it is going to put me on anti-anxiety medication.

Chip R
07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Just wanted to pop in to say that I have just finished season 4. So I had to skip the last several pages of this thread, but I so enjoyed catching up with your year-old Season 4 theories earlier on.

I have to watch the first half of Season 5 this week while I have access to cable. This show is incredible, beautifully shot and acted, but it is going to put me on anti-anxiety medication.

I recorded a lot of episodes last summer but except for the pilot, skipped all the Season 1 episodes. AMC has been showing them again early Saturday mornings and I finished watching all of Season 1. Some of that Season 1 stuff was just hilarious - especially Walt's intervention. Marie's also a great source of comedy. Of course the show has it's dramatic moments - and they are some of the best in history - but the comedy is a real source of pleasure for me. What you said about it being beautifully shot goes double for me. Especially the cold opens.

vaticanplum
07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
I recorded a lot of episodes last summer but except for the pilot, skipped all the Season 1 episodes. AMC has been showing them again early Saturday mornings and I finished watching all of Season 1. Some of that Season 1 stuff was just hilarious - especially Walt's intervention. Marie's also a great source of comedy. Of course the show has it's dramatic moments - and they are some of the best in history - but the comedy is a real source of pleasure for me. What you said about it being beautifully shot goes double for me. Especially the cold opens.

I agree. I still think it's very funny, though the comedy has gotten much, much blacker.

BTW, I don't know if this has been mentioned, having skipped through many pages of this thread, but Bryan Cranston is playing LBJ this fall in a new play at the theater where I worked the last couple of years. Can't wait to see it.

http://www.americanrepertorytheater.org/events/show/all-way

coachpipe
07-01-2013, 04:47 PM
I agree. I still think it's very funny, though the comedy has gotten much, much blacker.

BTW, I don't know if this has been mentioned, having skipped through many pages of this thread, but Bryan Cranston is playing LBJ this fall in a new play at the theater where I worked the last couple of years. Can't wait to see it.

Great. I love Lebron James:beerme:

Chip R
07-01-2013, 04:56 PM

That's very cool.

Razor Shines
07-02-2013, 12:23 AM

He's playing Ladybird Johnson. Have some respect, jackass.

Razor Shines
07-02-2013, 12:25 AM

Bryan Cranston playing Lebron in blackface would have one minor flaw. When he does the powder toss it would stick to his face. Other than that, he's gonna be great.

vaticanplum
07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm all caught up now. Yes, I watched eight episodes in the last three days. Don't judge.

Skimming through this thread, I see a lot of people disappointed with Season 5. I think they've done a tremendous job. Sustaining the all-out thriller suspense (chase, avoiding kill, etc.) of the previous couple of seasons would have been pointless, repetitive, and the exact antithesis of why you write a show rather than a movie, the latter of which doesn't give you long-term chances for this kind of depth of character exploration.

Season 5 -- with the exception of the train episode, which I thought was a wonderful throwback with added sophistication -- is a complete psychological exploration. Yes, everything has advanced quickly for Walt in terms of evilness, and not only do I think that's necessary dramatically, but I feel it's a totally justified payback after the buildup of the previous four seasons and the payoff of Gus. It did not come out of nowhere, but it just skyrocketed after he killed Gus and was able to "take over" his empire on his own terms (or so he thought). He is so focused on finally achieving the goals he thinks he's set for himself that he loses grip with reality. For everyone complaining that some of the show has "unrealistic," THAT is totally realistic, psychologically.

Beyond that, this show has never been "realistic". Most television isn't. I think the word people are actually searching for is "believable," and that's a matter of opinion, but I think everything that's happened has been believable within the framework the show has established.

Because of the switch to psychological exploration, the pace of the show slowed (as time was picking up), and I don't think that's just a necessary byproduct of the thematic switch -- I think it's also meant to give the audience a sense of the mundanity that Walt is feeling after these several harrowing, fast-paced months. There were a few too many meth-making montages for my taste (that felt like killing time), but other than that I though the pacing worked. It's very No Exit. Hell is having nothing to do, no one to do anything with, nothing to escape, nowhere to go, right?

I think the irony that is being explored is that all along Walt used the protection of his family as his justification for everything, and in doing all this he's completely lost all connection with his family -- all human connection, really. I think, far beyond drugs, that's what this show is about: where the line is between getting what you think you want and accidentally giving up what you do want. Just in that last episode there were hints of him starting to realize this, and working to get it back, and then...

I don't know that he'll end up dead or in jail. I think there's a possibility he gets away with everything, just like he always wanted, but losing everyone he loved, living in secrecy somewhere, with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Which means it was all for what? Was the satisfaction of the ego enough? I think that's the question the show is getting at, and I think we know the answer.

19braves77
07-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Sweet !!!!

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=816274&gt1=28103

19braves77
07-04-2013, 06:11 AM
I rewatched Season 5 and discover how great of an addition the character of Lyda was to the show. That scene will her writing out the 8 names for Walt was great writing in the last episode. This is probably one of those shows that I will revisit every two years when its done and still discover something that really didn't stand out before.

Redsfaithful
07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm rewatching with my wife who has never seen the show so that we can watch the finish together.

Watching it a second time gives entirely new context to many scenes, and you also can see many events set up much earlier than they occur. The writers have done a good job with this show.

The one downside to marathoning Breaking Bad is that you don't get the slow descent with Walt - everything feels like it happens so quickly and you don't get the long period of rooting for Walt that you would have watching it over years and years.

Larry Schuler
07-04-2013, 11:43 AM
I foresee "an ironic ending" where Walt loses everything but has one saving grace moment where he redeems himself. A real dark sad ending that moralizes the lifestyle and consequences of Walt's choices but gives Walt one last moment to channel his good self.

Also Hank's gotta win. He's been beat up, shot at, and taken for a fool this whole time.

gilpdawg
07-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Yeah....I don't think Walt goes to jail either. I think the last few posts have it close.

vaticanplum
07-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I foresee "an ironic ending" where Walt loses everything but has one saving grace moment where he redeems himself. A real dark sad ending that moralizes the lifestyle and consequences of Walt's choices but gives Walt one last moment to channel his good self.

Also Hank's gotta win. He's been beat up, shot at, and taken for a fool this whole time.

Ugh. I find Hank a shallow, overbearing bore (and a wonderful caricature of the stereotypical American male, a good foil to Walt, the two of them increasingly similar as time goes on). But I suspect you're right.

I wonder if Walt is going to get to a point where he kills Jesse, or has ("has") to come close to it. To a degree, dramatically, it feels like this is inevitable.

19braves77
07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I watched the three reruns last night and they played what I thought was the best episode from Season 2. Forgot how good of a job they did with showing the effects of drug use on a family without being preachy. It was the one were Jessie is trying to get his meth back from the meth users who stole an ATM.

coachpipe
07-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I think the show foreshadowed how it is going to end. Walt has mentioned a few times how he loves Scarface. And then the first scene of the first episode of this season he is seen buying guns with a different name while hes at Dennys. Hes going out in a blaze of fire

medford
07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=vaticanplum;2900129]
Beyond that, this show has never been "realistic". Most television isn't. I think the word people are actually searching for is "believable," and that's a matter of opinion, but I think everything that's happened has been believable within the framework the show has established.

QUOTE]

I've read on different blogs, that the show is actually more "realistic" than you'd think. For instance, the end game with Walt, is not as far out in left field as you'd initially think and similar situations have been documented in "real life". I've also read, that when it comes down to a lot of the details, the writers are pretty accurate with that stuff as well.

coachpipe
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=vaticanplum;2900129]

QUOTE]

I've read on different blogs, that the show is actually more "realistic" than you'd think. For instance, the end game with Walt, is not as far out in left field as you'd initially think and similar situations have been documented in "real life". I've also read, that when it comes down to a lot of the details, the writers are pretty accurate with that stuff as well.

Im a very famous meth cook and dealer. This show is very much real. Last week I had a guy rob me of money so I went to his place with stuff that looked like the meth I had sold him and as soon as i was about to get him to buy it...BOOOM I threw it on the floor and it exploded. He hasnt messed with me since.

medford
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
As for the ending, I have visions of everything fast forwarding 15 years, Walt has retired from the 'game' by the skin of his teeth, but w/ more money laundered than he could ever hope to spend. He's working in the office at the car wash when one of the employees comes in w/ a bag of his "blue meth creation" found in one of the cars he was cleaning. The same type of Blue Meth which Walt and the DEA had thought completely vanished. The blue meth, Walt's formula is found in the trunk of his daughter's car, and so the empire is reborn......

The scarface scenerio is more likely, and something that Vince Gilligan has mentioned before as an inspiration for Walt's character.

coachpipe
07-08-2013, 03:28 PM
As for the ending, I have visions of everything fast forwarding 15 years, Walt has retired from the 'game' by the skin of his teeth, but w/ more money laundered than he could ever hope to spend. He's working in the office at the car wash when one of the employees comes in w/ a bag of his "blue meth creation" found in one of the cars he was cleaning. The same type of Blue Meth which Walt and the DEA had thought completely vanished. The blue meth, Walt's formula is found in the trunk of his daughter's car, and so the empire is reborn......

The scarface scenerio is more likely, and something that Vince Gilligan has mentioned before as an inspiration for Walt's character.

There was an interview that came out a while back with Aaron Paul(jesse) and he said there is a clear ending to the show. You wont watch it and have ANY questions. Like Lost, the shield, sopranos, ect.. He said when he read the script he was in complete shock and said you will probably throw **** across the room when it ends.

WMR
07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Seeing Walt on the run, it's gotta be Hank that busts him right?

coachpipe
07-08-2013, 03:55 PM

I just dont see him being "busted" as much as I see him being killed. I see AMC ending it completely. And I see them killing Walt off more than him going to jail because in a way they have made meth cooking look pretty cool and having the main character die is scarier to the viewers or stupid idiot wanna be meth cookers than going to jail

Razor Shines
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I just dont see him being "busted" as much as I see him being killed. I see AMC ending it completely. And I see them killing Walt off more than him going to jail because in a way they have made meth cooking look pretty cool and having the main character die is scarier to the viewers or stupid idiot wanna be meth cookers than going to jail

I don't know about it being cool. I have a wife and kids and a regular job and I think life can be stressful at times. If I think about Walt's life in real terms I cannot imagine the stress of worrying not just about going to jail or my personal safety but the safety of my family. I don't want to be trite but there's literally not an amount of money that would make me want to experience Walt's stresses in real life.

I actually would go the other way and I think that Gilligan has done an amazing job of showing how utterly terrible that life style would be. I realize different people see it different ways but cool and entertaining to watch? The best. Real life? No thanks.

coachpipe
07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't know about it being cool. I have a wife and kids and a regular job and I think life can be stressful at times. If I think about Walt's life in real terms I cannot imagine the stress of worrying not just about going to jail or my personal safety but the safety of my family. I don't want to be trite but there's literally not an amount of money that would make me want to experience Walt's stresses in real life.

I actually would go the other way and I think that Gilligan has done an amazing job of showing how utterly terrible that life style would be. I realize different people see it different ways but cool and entertaining to watch? The best. Real life? No thanks.

I guess when I said cool what I really meant was the younger generation. 15-25ish might think walt is a bad ass or has turned into one. And with the younger generation they seem to like the whole BA type of person and in a way look up to him.. So I just see killing him off and not having a happy ending as the most likely solution to how this one will end.

gilpdawg
07-09-2013, 01:36 AM

I always thought it would look bad on Hank if Walt got busted, since it was right under his nose the whole time.

joshua
07-09-2013, 02:09 AM
I always thought it would look bad on Hank if Walt got busted, since it was right under his nose the whole time.

As close as they are, there's no reason for the feds to think Hank doesn't have an idea of what he's going. I mean, this is the case Hank has been on for years now, right? All the close calls and wrong moves Hank has made could definitely look like purposeful misdirection. I think he'll have to weigh whether to turn Walt in because it's the right thing to do, or let him go simply because of what it does to his family and the possible impact it has on his career, the possibility of being accused of being an accomplice, being a former DEA guy in prison with the dealers you've help bust etc. I don't know... Maybe that's too obvious.

I think he gives Walt some kind of ultimatum and tells him to leave town, disappear and never come back. At least that's what I'd do in the same situation. Thus, the diner scene with the fake ID etc. Or maybe Walt pulls off some science and fakes his death.

I haven't watched Breaking Bad in awhile.. the wife and I are currently watching the Sopranos (I've seen in multiple times...she's never watched it). I hope I have enough time to run through the whole series before the finale starts. It's probably the best show I've ever seen. Easily top 3.

vaticanplum
07-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I watched the three reruns last night and they played what I thought was the best episode from Season 2. Forgot how good of a job they did with showing the effects of drug use on a family without being preachy. It was the one were Jessie is trying to get his meth back from the meth users who stole an ATM.

That episode was devastating. One thing that both Walt as a character and the show in its entirety have lost is the sense of destruction that hard drugs wreak on users and their loved ones. A lot of that just got lost by default when Jesse got sober, so we lost the connection to an addict who was a major character. Walt is barely concerned with the people he's killing with his own hands; there's no extension of empathy to what he's doing indirectly. The show doesn't have the same sense of a larger picture that, say, the movie Traffic did.

I'm not criticizing this choice and I do think it's a deliberate choice. The show is a character study more than indirect social commentary, and increasingly so as the seasons have gone on. I do wonder if those larger questions will come back though. If Walt is due for any kind of redemption I feel like that has to be part of it...or not that it has to be, but it would be very effective on top of any kind of come-to-jesus moment on a personal level (which absolutely does have to happen). Walt rationalizes everything he's doing on a very inward-looking, oblivious level; he cannot rationalize effectively if he looks outside of himself. A realization of that world, the chain reactions of what his actions set off, would go a long way in closing up the show and re-humanizing him, because the disconnect from his family doesn't seem to be helping him toward those realizations. Of course, as covered, it will probably be too late.

Chip R
07-09-2013, 04:47 PM

There was a similar situation where Hank's former boss resigned/was fired after Gus was killed because he and Gus were friendly. Hank has to realize how bad it would look if people found out Heisenberg was his brother in law and had been making meth under his nose for all this time.

Just speculation but I think Walt finds out Hank knows who he is and that's why he takes it on the lam.

If Walt is due for any kind of redemption I feel like that has to be part of it...or not that it has to be, but it would be very effective on top of any kind of come-to-jesus moment on a personal level (which absolutely does have to happen). Walt rationalizes everything he's doing on a very inward-looking, oblivious level; he cannot rationalize effectively if he looks outside of himself. A realization of that world, the chain reactions of what his actions set off, would go a long way in closing up the show and re-humanizing him, because the disconnect from his family doesn't seem to be helping him toward those realizations. Of course, as covered, it will probably be too late.

IIRC, he seemed to be somewhat reconciled with his family in the last episode. He and Skylar seemed at peace with all the money in the storage locker and he seemed to be getting along better with everyone at the party where Hank saw the book.

I don't know if they want him to be re-humanized, though. They have been making Walt more and more unsympathetic as the show has gone on. They don't seem to be giving him any moments where he becomes sympathetic as they did with Tony on the Sopranos and Don on Mad Men. That doesn't seem to be the case with Walt as of yet.

vaticanplum
07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
IIRC, he seemed to be somewhat reconciled with his family in the last episode. He and Skylar seemed at peace with all the money in the storage locker and he seemed to be getting along better with everyone at the party where Hank saw the book.

I don't know if they want him to be re-humanized, though. They have been making Walt more and more unsympathetic as the show has gone on. They don't seem to be giving him any moments where he becomes sympathetic as they did with Tony on the Sopranos and Don on Mad Men. That doesn't seem to be the case with Walt as of yet.

He has to have SOME kind of redemption or regret. Even fleeting, even after a further descent, and almost certainly too little, too late. it would fly in the face of every dramatic convention for him not to, and it would be boring, and everyone would be angry.

I think he has further hell to go through and I think his lessons learned will come from his losing control of the ability to make things better (i.e., he may be regretful, but he cannot be redeemed). But he has to get to something like that in some form. And I agree that's what they were hinting at in the last episode -- he's starting to get back to grips with reality, and then Hank finds the book and spoils it. I can't put my finger on why, but I feel that this came from more than the threat of losing his family. Somewhere inside I think Jesse's moral stance of walking away was a wake-up call to him, and I also think that he has or will come to regret Mike's death. That was the first death that came purely out of anger, not "protection" or defense or even revenge. It was totally ego-driven, and even though he was a jerk as Mike was sitting there dying, I felt like there was a fleeing moment of that realization on Walt's face right after he shot him. I am way too invested in this.

bucksfan2
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
He has to have SOME kind of redemption or regret. Even fleeting, even after a further descent, and almost certainly too little, too late. it would fly in the face of every dramatic convention for him not to, and it would be boring, and everyone would be angry.

I think he has further hell to go through and I think his lessons learned will come from his losing control of the ability to make things better (i.e., he may be regretful, but he cannot be redeemed). But he has to get to something like that in some form. And I agree that's what they were hinting at in the last episode -- he's starting to get back to grips with reality, and then Hank finds the book and spoils it. I can't put my finger on why, but I feel that this came from more than the threat of losing his family. Somewhere inside I think Jesse's moral stance of walking away was a wake-up call to him, and I also think that he has or will come to regret Mike's death. That was the first death that came purely out of anger, not "protection" or defense or even revenge. It was totally ego-driven, and even though he was a jerk as Mike was sitting there dying, I felt like there was a fleeing moment of that realization on Walt's face right after he shot him. I am way too invested in this.

I think Jessie is the one true likable character in the show. I think he is the one guy who most fans would want to see survive. He has always kinda been this reluctant sidekick who let Walt walk over him. For the most part Walt has protected him but seemed to get mad whenever Jessie didn't respond to his wishes.

In the past season there were two changes I noticed with Walt. The first one was when he killed Mike. I think it showed that if you stood in his way Walt was going to kill you. Then at the end of the season you have Walt seemingly at peace with being out of the game.

The only thing we do know is Saul survives because he has a spin off. Other than that I am clueless. In the back of my head now I keep going back to when Walt said something akin to "I am the one who knocks." Is the foreshadowing that started the previous season Walt on a rampage to defend his family?

Danny Serafini
07-10-2013, 09:50 AM
The only thing we do know is Saul survives because he has a spin off.

We don't even know that because the spinoff may be a prequel. You may even see the occasional Gus Fring appearance in it.

gilpdawg
07-12-2013, 09:11 PM
We don't even know that because the spinoff may be a prequel. You may even see the occasional Gus Fring appearance in it.

More Gus=win.

19braves77
07-13-2013, 04:49 AM
I watched a little bit more of the Season 2 tonight and I think this series has only had two bad subplots so far: Skylar's affair and Marie's stealing illness.

Brutus
07-13-2013, 05:39 AM
I watched a little bit more of the Season 2 tonight and I think this series has only had two bad subplots so far: Skylar's affair and Marie's stealing illness.

Skylar's affair was a vital aspect to giving Ted money, as her feelings for Ted were intertwined with being willing to help him cook the books. I think it was an important subplot in this subtext.

Marie's thievery, in my opinion, was just a way for the writer's to stack up Skylar's struggle with everyone around her losing their moral compass. It sort of forced her to accept Walt's 'profession' a bit more because she couldn't stand on moral ground with her sister being a thief and her boss cooking the books. I agree that this wasn't all that enjoyable an angle, but I do think it served a real purpose.

It's amazing watching from the second season onward a second and third time at how many clues were left by the writers to foreshadow events.

For instance: in the episode before season four's "End Times," when Walt is sitting by the pool playing roulette by spinning the gun on the table beside him, he looks to his right at the Lily of the Valley plant. That's when he concocts the idea to make Brock sick with it. Of course, no one could have known that was what he was looking at or why.

A few episodes earlier, they also foreshadowed Ted's slip as he was in the kitchen when Skylar came over and he almost tripped over the rug. They zoom in as he makes it a point to use his foot to straighten the rug.

I'm now thinking that due to these clues, they might go all the way with Walt breaking bad. Vince has been vocal about the Scarface influences on the show and it's worth noting that when Walt is watching the last scene in Scarface with junior right before Tony is killed on his rampage, he says "everyone gets killed in these movies."' Coupled with Mike's observation that Walt was a ticking time bomb, it may have been another hint, especially given the appearance of the automatic weapon in the season five flash forward. I am actually hoping for Hank to look the other way and Walt to live on, but it seems doubtful at this point.

vaticanplum
07-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Marie's thievery, in my opinion, was just a way for the writer's to stack up Skylar's struggle with everyone around her losing their moral compass. It sort of forced her to accept Walt's 'profession' a bit more because she couldn't stand on moral ground with her sister being a thief and her boss cooking the books. I agree that this wasn't all that enjoyable an angle, but I do think it served a real purpose.

It also laid a lot of groundwork for the nature of Hank and Marie's marriage. Marie became a very sympathetic character through Hank's convalescence when he was pretty much intolerable -- realistically so given his situation, but still. Her being presented as a harpy with her own set of problems earlier on kept her from being perceived as an angel throughout that storyline. Plus, she came back to those habits when she went on that lying real-estate binge, showing just another example of how people's morality can to to pot in stressful situations.

And Hank standing with her (he knew about the stealing, right?) says something about the strength of their marriage, which often seems so awful. I have a feeling this may come into play in the final season, Marie having to make some choices between her husband and her sister.

RichRed
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
More Gus=win.

I re-watched "Trading Places" recently and became giddy when I noticed that "Gus" was one of Eddie Murphy's cellmates at the beginning of the movie.

http://i3.minus.com/j4wvASRNQZFwu.jpg

Apologies for the interlude.

medford
07-15-2013, 12:14 PM
thats the best part of watching old movies and or TV shows. Seeing old scense of Walt on Seinfield or King of Queens is much more interesting now, than when he was the Dad on Malcolm.

bucksfan2
07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
thats the best part of watching old movies and or TV shows. Seeing old scense of Walt on Seinfield or King of Queens is much more interesting now, than when he was the Dad on Malcolm.

Its kinda funny because when I first started watching the show I didn't think Bryan Cranston was a good cast because of Malcolm in the Middle. It took me a couple of episodes to get past that and now feel like he was a great choice.

Brutus
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Its kinda funny because when I first started watching the show I didn't think Bryan Cranston was a good cast because of Malcolm in the Middle. It took me a couple of episodes to get past that and now feel like he was a great choice.

I had that thought too initially, but in hindsight it actually it made a lot of sense from the standpoint they wanted someone who was seen as a regular guy, nerdy and even a bit of a pushover. It was a gamble, but since the transformation had to start at the very beginning, his casting accomplished that.

medford
07-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I believe, as the story goes, the producers were not sold on Bryan either, but he had worked with Vince in an episode of X-files, and Vince said he had Bryan in mind from the get go because of that episode. He's said that once he showed the episode of Bryan on X-files, everyone else was on board.

RichRed
07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Another Eddie Murphy connection: Jonathan "Mike Ehrmantraut" Banks was in "Beverly Hills Cop."

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/913-1591.jpg

Razor Shines
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
I believe, as the story goes, the producers were not sold on Bryan either, but he had worked with Vince in an episode of X-files, and Vince said he had Bryan in mind from the get go because of that episode. He's said that once he showed the episode of Bryan on X-files, everyone else was on board.

Yeah. Bryan told that story on the Nerdist podcast. Crazy. I need to go re-listen to that because Bryan talked about the actors that the producers wanted but I can't remember who they were now.

medford
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
if you can believe this:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/06/a-history-of-iconic-roles-that-famous-actors-turned-down/john-cusack-as-walter-white

Then John Cusack and Matthew Broderick passed on the role.

19braves77
07-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Rewatched more of Season 2, I never realized Saul suggested the business relationship to Gus.

Brutus
07-15-2013, 08:21 PM
The newest teaser...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eeeRTYxcKFg

Which of course followed the previous ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSS8zz5IWgo

Hank's face in that teaser makes me have goose bumps in anticipation.

gilpdawg
07-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Is it August yet? I can't wait. These will be the first episodes I watch in real time.

19braves77
07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Am curious how the new episode starts and the time that has past.

Redsfaithful
07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Just FYI, I saw it mentioned yesterday that details from the first episode back have been spoiled/leaked online, so be careful with your online reading.

WMR
07-17-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm quite a bit disappointed they did the final season in these 8 episode chunks.

I wish they had gone ahead and made this 2nd, final chunk, a full season run.

It usually takes a couple episodes to get back into the groove of a new season of a t.v. show, and it just feels truncated to me.

Basically I want more BB. :)

Brutus
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm quite a bit disappointed they did the final season in these 8 episode chunks.

I wish they had gone ahead and made this 2nd, final chunk, a full season run.

It usually takes a couple episodes to get back into the groove of a new season of a t.v. show, and it just feels truncated to me.

Basically I want more BB. :)

The story, as I understand it, is that Vince and the writers decided they wanted one last season and AMC was hoping for at least two more. So they compromised and decided to split the last season (technically 16 episodes) into two.

gilpdawg
07-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Just FYI, I saw it mentioned yesterday that details from the first episode back have been spoiled/leaked online, so be careful with your online reading.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to avoid the BB reddit.

NebraskaRed
07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/21/comic-con-breaking-bad-cast-and-creator-preview-the-shows-ending-and-debut-a-new-scene

Description of the first scene from the first new episode. Spoilers obviously.

Brutus
07-22-2013, 09:34 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/21/comic-con-breaking-bad-cast-and-creator-preview-the-shows-ending-and-debut-a-new-scene

Description of the first scene from the first new episode. Spoilers obviously.

Thanks for sharing! I decided to go ahead and read it out of curiosity. I'm glad I did, personally, but I debated for several minutes whether to do so.

On a similar note, for those that want to know, the list of episode names and brief descriptions of the final eight episodes have been released. There are no outright spoilers, but there are some definite clues as to how the season will progress. I apologize I don't remember where those were listed, but if one does a Google search, it's out there.

R_Webb18
07-23-2013, 02:48 AM
I'm doing a re watch before it starts up to S2 E7 so far.

Brutus
07-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Apparently some members of the press were given a screening of the August 11 episode, as I've seen three different writers today in a column mention having seen it already. The good news is that all three accounts, while acknowledging they were not at liberty to give any details away, mention the episode is sure to live up to the long wait.

Vince Gillian remarked the other day that although he knows not everyone will like the ending, he believes most will love it. He said they're very proud of how the writers made the whole thing come together.

R_Webb18
07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
It's almost impossible to make everyone happy I just hope I am :)

nate
07-29-2013, 08:02 PM
I just want to point out that I was able to buy an official Heisenberg hat today.

I am the danger.

Brutus
07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
I just want to point out that I was able to buy an official Heisenberg hat today.

I am the danger.

"Say my name."

Brutus
07-30-2013, 09:25 PM
This.is.awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE

This sonnet is written about expectation that every great leader or empire will eventually fall. Walt, after all, is in the "empire" business.

cinreds21
08-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Season Five, Part One is now streaming on Netflix!

19braves77
08-05-2013, 10:45 PM
The teaser trailer of Hank and Walt make it look like they are working together .....

Ohayou
08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Pretty sure Hank is on his way to a mineral sale.

19braves77
08-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Its so hard to be spoiler free. Lot of tidbits about the opening scene for Sunday episode and how good it is..... Must remember pledge to wifey.

Brutus
08-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Its so hard to be spoiler free. Lot of tidbits about the opening scene for Sunday episode and how good it is..... Must remember pledge to wifey.

I broke down and read the spoiler since it was just the opening scene. I wouldn't want to know anything more, though. It's only two days away.

Razor Shines
08-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Well that was a decent final scene.

Brutus
08-12-2013, 12:10 AM
THAT.WAS.SURREAL.

Wow.

Tom Servo
08-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Hank punching Walt was so satisfying.

Brutus
08-12-2013, 12:22 AM

The way the entire episode built up the suspense was unlike any other episode of a television show I've ever seen. It was pure intensity from start to finish and just delivered an epic final scene to take the final seven episodes to a whole other level. Absolutely brilliant scripting and amazing cinematography.

RiverRat13
08-12-2013, 12:37 AM

Tread lightly.

gilpdawg
08-12-2013, 01:11 AM
That was SO awesome.

08-12-2013, 01:42 AM
So does this mean that Hank will hear a knock on his door?

Razor Shines
08-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Scotty beamed his guts into space!

Brutus
08-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Did anyone pick up on the awesomeness of Walt's double entendre when he walked into Hank's garage?

"looks like you've got the work coming in to you. One of the perks of being the boss, huh?"

kbrake
08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm also watching the final season of Dexter and Breaking Bad delivered more with one episode than Dexter has in 7 episodes so far. That was intense.

Stray
08-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Great episode last night, that final scene in the garage was amazing. If there's something to the theory that Walt takes on certain traits from people he kills (driving a Volvo like Gus, his drinks like Mike, and his sandwiches like Crazy 8), the flash forward shows him doing little things that a couple of big characters also do.

This is gonna be a fun couple of months watching this thing end.

Tom Servo
08-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Scotty beamed his guts into space!
I was at least 50% certain that Jesse was going off screen to kill himself during that conversation. :lol:

kaldaniels
08-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I was at least 50% certain that Jesse was going off screen to kill himself during that conversation. :lol:

Sadly I was enraptured by Skinny Pete's narrative.

As far as the show goes, even though I knew the show's going to move fast this season with only 8 episodes left, I figured we'd have a couple episodes with Hank waffling on whether or not to confront Walt followed by a (Hank saying) "Walt, I have something to talk to you about" cliffhanger.

So I was pleasantly surprised by the ending of this episode. I mean, when Hank hits the button to put the garage door down...what a moment. And as always, fine acting.

vaticanplum
08-12-2013, 11:51 AM
As far as the show goes, even though I knew the show's going to move fast this season with only 8 episodes left, I figured we'd have a couple episodes with Hank waffling on whether or not to confront Walt followed by a (Hank saying) "Walt, I have something to talk to you about" cliffhanger.

Ironically, a huge way this show is building suspense is to buck expectations regarding what we think will be suspenseful.

From the first/flashforward scenes of both halves of this season, we know that a) Walt does not die of cancer (at least not before something major happens to his life), b) he ends up living somewhere else under an assumed name, c) in one way or another his secret is revealed (the "Heisenberg" scrawled in the house, Carol the neighbor's reaction to him -- actually wondering if the latter indicates that people *think* he dies). It's certainly hinting that he loses his family as well.

So we know at least a good bit of how it ends, or at least we think we do. The question is how does he get there, who does he lose along the way, how does he lose them, and WHAT IS HE GOING TO DO WITH THE RICIN??

And don't get me wrong, I still expect a ton of surprises. I just love that the show sets you up for certain things long-term and then throws you for loops along the way -- it has done this at least since the plane crash season. Brilliant way of creating suspense.

edit: Come to think of it, it has done this since the very first epsisode.

19braves77
08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I imagine its going to get ugly with Czech Mafia getting 68% pure meth.

CoachBombay
08-12-2013, 01:27 PM
“If that’s true and you really don’t know who I am, perhaps your best course of action is to tread lightly.”

Larkin Fan
08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I was literally speechless after the final scene last night. Kinda still am! I felt it sets up the showdown that's going to unfold in the final episodes perfectly.

bucksfan2
08-12-2013, 01:47 PM
I probably will have to go back and watch the episode again. I was struggling to stay awake for parts of it.

I could have done without the Skinny Pete and Badger garbage.

To me it seemed like a lot of information was released but the episode moved along slowly until the end.

I loved the last scene where Walt confronts Hank. I am surprised that that happened right away.

WMR
08-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm also watching the final season of Dexter and Breaking Bad delivered more with one episode than Dexter has in 7 episodes so far. That was intense.

Dexter has been massively disappointing for awhile now.

I still watch it, but mainly out of habit than anything else.

I am so freaking sick of Debra Morgan............

The other new show on Showtime, Ray Donovan, is pretty good so far. Worth watching.

Under the Dome is some of the laughingly worst television I've seen in awhile. Watching it more to laugh at it than anything else.

WMR
08-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Breaking Bad was amazing. Really sad the show is drawing to a close.

Anyone want to guess who's getting the ricin cupcake? :D

Roy Tucker
“If that’s true and you really don’t know who I am, perhaps your best course of action is to tread lightly.”

The transformation from Walt to Heisenberg was chilling.

Tom Servo
Yeah you figure Lydia is going to get desperate and take some sort of action against Walt and/or Jesse.

Will be interesting to see if Hank and Jesse have a discussion or two also.

WMR
08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Great episode last night, that final scene in the garage was amazing. If there's something to the theory that Walt takes on certain traits from people he kills (driving a Volvo like Gus, his drinks like Mike, and his sandwiches like Crazy 8), the flash forward shows him doing little things that a couple of big characters also do.

This is gonna be a fun couple of months watching this thing end.

The bacon is one thing... what else?

Tom Servo
08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
But perhaps we are all missing the bigger issue here: For what reason did Walter Jr. want a later curfew? To stay up partying all night until breakfast?

CoachBombay
08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Dexter has been massively disappointing for awhile now.

I still watch it, but mainly out of habit than anything else.

I am so freaking sick of Debra Morgan............

The other new show on Showtime, Ray Donovan, is pretty good so far. Worth watching.

Under the Dome is some of the laughingly worst television I've seen in awhile. Watching it more to laugh at it than anything else.

I agree with everything you have just said...Under the Dome party tonight:thumbup::beerme:

WMR
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I agree with everything you have just said...Under the Dome party tonight:thumbup::beerme:

Ducks fly together.

Kingspoint
08-12-2013, 03:17 PM
She'll end up in one of her own oil barrels.

Razor Shines
08-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Count me in as another who expected the Heisenberg v Hank confrontation to be hinted at for several more episodes. And then even when it did happen I didn't think it would be as great as it was last night.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it signifies the writers saying "look we've got a ton of great content to get to in only 8 episodes, so dragging things out is unnecessary."

19braves77
08-12-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm rewatching with my wife who has never seen the show so that we can watch the finish together.

Watching it a second time gives entirely new context to many scenes, and you also can see many events set up much earlier than they occur. The writers have done a good job with this show.

The one downside to marathoning Breaking Bad is that you don't get the slow descent with Walt - everything feels like it happens so quickly and you don't get the long period of rooting for Walt that you would have watching it over years and years.

Agreed. brother in law did it in three weeks. You also miss a lot of symbolism.

Brutus
08-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Count me in as another who expected the Heisenberg v Hank confrontation to be hinted at for several more episodes. And then even when it did happen I didn't think it would be as great as it was last night.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think it signifies the writers saying "look we've got a ton of great content to get to in only 8 episodes, so dragging things out is unnecessary."

It takes incredible courage to exhaust such an anticipated story arc so quickly. You're absolutely right... to do that, they must have incredible confidence in what story they will be telling the rest of the seven episodes.

19braves77
08-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Also, USA Today got to view 4 episodes and he kinda gave it away that dont assume you know how things happened in regards to the house and Walt being on the run. That implies to me that he running from bad guys rather then the Feds.

kaldaniels
08-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Probably an easy explanation, but why doesn't (granted we don't know what happens next) Hank just beat the tar out of Walt (or cuff him) and bring him in.

I don't even remember the status of Hank's current employment, but he's got the goods on Walt...just bring him in.

kbrake
08-12-2013, 08:02 PM
The way they jumped right into it with both feet is what made last night so great for me. Other shows I have loved like The Sopranos and Lost started out their final seasons by just dragging things along to kill time until the end where they wrapped things up. Breaking Bad didn't waste 4 or 5 episodes they just got right to it. I can't wait to see the final 7 episodes.

19braves77
08-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Probably an easy explanation, but why doesn't (granted we don't know what happens next) Hank just beat the tar out of Walt (or cuff him) and bring him in.

I don't even remember the status of Hank's current employment, but he's got the goods on Walt...just bring him in.

Comic Con people said they watched scenes were it was implied Hank and Walt are working together. Something bad probably happens to a family member.

Brutus
08-12-2013, 08:07 PM

He doesn't have any evidence that Walt committed crimes whatsoever. All he has is a book with Gale's handwriting. That doesn't justify a search warrant, let alone an arrest warrant. Probably the only other thing he really has on Walt is that they found the mask in season one which belonged to Walt's chemistry lab, but even that is thin.

sonny
08-12-2013, 08:40 PM
He doesn't have any evidence that Walt committed crimes whatsoever. All he has is a book with Gale's handwriting. That doesn't justify a search warrant, let alone an arrest warrant. Probably the only other thing he really has on Walt is that they found the mask in season one which belonged to Walt's chemistry lab, but even that is thin.

And hank would essentially be committing career suicide, failing to realize Heisenberg was under his nose the whole time.

kaldaniels
08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't know. If Walt is ever turned in it will reflect poorly on Hank (though I don't blame Hank). Hank is seemingly trying to gather evidence on Walt. Why then?

Now that everything has been laid on the table, if I'm Hank, I'd assume I would never see Walt again. Though of course Walt is bound to just carry on as Dorky Walt as usual.

Razor Shines
08-12-2013, 09:09 PM
And hank would essentially be committing career suicide, failing to realize Heisenberg was under his nose the whole time.

Probably would be viewed as "failing" because he took all that money from Walt for his rehab. And it would probably be assumed that Hank has another sum of money from Walt stashed away somewhere.

R_Webb18
08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Walt also paid for Hanks medical bills.

Australian Red
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Was suprised that Hank and Walt had there 'talk' in the first episode thought it would be in the final or 2nd last one.

vaticanplum
08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Also, I forget the wording, but Walt definitely dropped the "remember when I helped you do all that illegal stuff when you were chasing Fring?" bomb in that last scene. It was very pointed.

WMR
08-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Rules of evidence would disallow use of the Whitman book for any prosecution or search/arrest warrant.

kaldaniels
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Rules of evidence would disallow use of the Whitman book for any prosecution or search/arrest warrant.

How would that work. Walt invited Hank to his home and allowed use of his bathroom and assumedly, reading materials. I'm no attorney so I don't know anything about this.

Australian Red
08-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Also, I forget the wording, but Walt definitely dropped the "remember when I helped you do all that illegal stuff when you were chasing Fring?" bomb in that last scene. It was very pointed.

He didn't come out and say that directly but was similar

cinreds21
08-12-2013, 11:57 PM
I thought the first episode was great. With everyone else, I thought they were gonna drag out the big moment but I am quite happy they did not. The montage of Hank looking through all the evidence was really cool. I am not trying to find spoilers at all, I'm just excited and anxious to let it all play out one week at a time.

Also, did anyone watch the after show, Talking Bad?. The Walking Dead actress/BB fan was quite annoying to me. Was she to anyone else who watched?

Brutus
08-13-2013, 12:41 AM
IMHO (warning, theory abound):

Kirk = Jesse (gets up and leaves the room just as Badger says, "Kirk can't take it anymore"; then when Jesse goes to leave, Badger says, "Where are you going? You're going to miss the best part." This implication is that Jesse won't be around in the final scene(s))

Chekov = unknown Czech assailant. Lydia has already warned us that her Czech associates are unhappy and that Walt is putting her "in a box." This perceived threat could literally be Checkov.

Which makes Walt = Spock.

My theory is that Walt "blows away" the Czech assailant before swallowing the Ricin and ending his own life.

I believe Jesse survives but flips on Walt and goes into witness protection, while most of Walt's family is killed by these other outside concerns (the Czechs, possibly Declan, etc.)

cinreds21
08-13-2013, 12:44 AM
IMHO (warning, theory abound):

Kirk = Jesse (gets up and leaves the room just as Badger says, "Kirk can't take it anymore"; then when Jesse goes to leave, Badger says, "Where are you going? You're going to miss the best part." This implication is that Jesse won't be around in the final scene(s))

Chekov = unknown Czech assailant. Lydia has already warned us that her Czech associates are unhappy and that Walt is putting her "in a box." This perceived threat could literally be Checkov.

Which makes Walt = Spock.

My theory is that Walt "blows away" the Czech assailant before swallowing the Ricin and ending his own life.

I believe Jesse survives but flips on Walt and goes into witness protection, while most of Walt's family is killed by these other outside concerns (the Czechs, possibly Declan, etc.)

Does Vince really put this much subtext in everything to hint at what's going to happen? (I have just never looked that deep into it I guess.)

Brutus
08-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Does Vince really put this much subtext in everything to hint at what's going to happen? (I have just never looked that deep into it I guess.)

There's been some definite foreshadowing. They used the age-old "oranges" symbolism with Ted when he had his accident (oranges are a sign of imminent danger or death in movies).

When Walt was watching Scarface with Junior last season, he noted "everyone dies in these movies."

I don't think up until recently, there's been so many literal clues, but I think this episode was full of them, especially given the way the scenes were shot so carefully. Everything seemed coordinated.

cinreds21
08-13-2013, 01:24 AM
There's been some definite foreshadowing. They used the age-old "oranges" symbolism with Ted when he had his accident (oranges are a sign of imminent danger or death in movies).

When Walt was watching Scarface with Junior last season, he noted "everyone dies in these movies."

I don't think up until recently, there's been so many literal clues, but I think this episode was full of them, especially given the way the scenes were shot so carefully. Everything seemed coordinated.

They did it again Sunday as well.

Brutus
08-13-2013, 01:28 AM
They did it again Sunday as well.

Yes indeed.

I don't think they've meant everything to be literal foreshadowing in the past. However, from what education I've had in film just in studying it as a prospective screenwriter one day, I can see a lot of very carefully-orchestrated literary devices and symbolism used in this particular episode. I think the entire show was full of clues, hints and signs of things to come. Every scene was shot with immense precision. Even the camera angles were much more diverse in this episode than usual. It was something they obviously spent a lot of time in getting right.

medford
08-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I like the theory, I watched it last night, and later read some of the reviews on here. Even if your theory isn't correct, I agree that there is some sort of "hidden" meaning in that. The scene was to show Jesse's demise and fall into self lothing, but the conversation could have been anything. As far as I remember, those characters have never discussed Star Trek prior, so that take wasn't playing on something prior. So far, the show has been so smart and well planned, that I think there was meaning to that scene.

The episode itself was awesome. I loved how Hank & Walt got into it the end, there is giong to be no *****footing around in the last 7 episodes, it also tells me that Hank's investigation isn't going to be the pivot point of Walt's demise or success.

Wonderful Monds
08-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Also note that yellow is Breaking Bad's color of warning. If a character is wearing yellow, something is about to go down.

NebraskaRed
08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
How would that work. Walt invited Hank to his home and allowed use of his bathroom and assumedly, reading materials. I'm no attorney so I don't know anything about this.

Also not a lawyer so I could be way off, but I think the book could be used in court if Hank had left it there in Walt's home, then returned with a search warrant. Hank sneaking the book out and taking it home would make it ineligible as evidence since hypothetically Hank could have taken the book home and written in those words.

medford
08-13-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm no lawyer, but I'm thinking it works along those lines.

I invite you into my house, let you use my bathroom, while in my bathroom you take the piece of art sitting on the wall, the prosecuter would likely accuse you of being a thief.

Hank didn't have permssion to search, nor sieze Walt's private property. Nothing about the book directly implements Walt in a crime, so he couldn't be arrested on the spot, the book would not be permissable in court.

It does have me wondering, breaking it up like they have, if small details like that are going to be left out to bring the show to an end, that appears to have more conflict than just Walt via Hank. I kind of wish they would have spent more time on hank combing thru the details, getting fustrated by finding nothing of value that links Hank to Gayle other than the hand writing. It didn't have to be long, just one of those time lapse sequences that they did when they were cooking meth several times, kind of highlight his fustration of thinking he found a huge break in the case, but failing to find any additional connection back to Walt.

medford
08-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Also not a lawyer so I could be way off, but I think the book could be used in court if Hank had left it there in Walt's home, then returned with a search warrant. Hank sneaking the book out and taking it home would make it ineligible as evidence since hypothetically Hank could have taken the book home and written in those words.

I doubt a judge would allow a search warrent w/o any specific proof that Walt could be tied to the drug ring. Hank certainly couldn't say, well I saw this book, sneaked it out, examined it, writing matches up, then I put it back, so lets go get a search warrent and nail the SOB. Hank could have put the book back as evidence if you could have found something more substaintial. It would have been Hank's dirty little secret on how he broke the case, but w/ nothing else to fall back on, the book falls into the illegal search and seisure catagory.

Razor Shines
08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I think Hank took the book to compare because he had to be sure, using it as evidence was probably secondary to his thinking at that time. He probably thought that if the handwriting matched up he would be able to dig and find more damning evidence on Walt making the book irrelevant.

bucksfan2
08-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm no lawyer, but I'm thinking it works along those lines.

I invite you into my house, let you use my bathroom, while in my bathroom you take the piece of art sitting on the wall, the prosecuter would likely accuse you of being a thief.

Hank didn't have permssion to search, nor sieze Walt's private property. Nothing about the book directly implements Walt in a crime, so he couldn't be arrested on the spot, the book would not be permissable in court.

It does have me wondering, breaking it up like they have, if small details like that are going to be left out to bring the show to an end, that appears to have more conflict than just Walt via Hank. I kind of wish they would have spent more time on hank combing thru the details, getting fustrated by finding nothing of value that links Hank to Gayle other than the hand writing. It didn't have to be long, just one of those time lapse sequences that they did when they were cooking meth several times, kind of highlight his fustration of thinking he found a huge break in the case, but failing to find any additional connection back to Walt.

I don't think they have the time to dive into the legal aspects of the case. The way the first episode went, Hank knows Walt is Heisenberg but it appears as if he also knows that he doesn't have the evidence to prove guilt. Its all clicking in his head as to how Walt pulled it off, but the key piece to everything would be disallowed in court.

I am interested to see how it plays out with Hank doing all the work in his garage because Walt is his brother-in-law. Is there shame? Does Hank think he somehow can be connected? Is he able to bring anything to his bosses about Walt?

Chip R
08-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't think they have the time to dive into the legal aspects of the case. The way the first episode went, Hank knows Walt is Heisenberg but it appears as if he also knows that he doesn't have the evidence to prove guilt. Its all clicking in his head as to how Walt pulled it off, but the key piece to everything would be disallowed in court.

I am interested to see how it plays out with Hank doing all the work in his garage because Walt is his brother-in-law. Is there shame? Does Hank think he somehow can be connected? Is he able to bring anything to his bosses about Walt?

You have to remember that Hank got his current position because his boss was sacked after the whole thing went down with Gus because he was friendly with him. What would it look like if the muckety-mucks at the DEA found out Hank's brother in law - who was close to him since neither family has any other friends - was the infamous Heisenberg?

The book is most likely inadmissible but there might be other ways for Hank to nail Walt. But, as Walt said, he'll be dead before he's convicted.

vaticanplum
08-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Not "spoilers" as in giving away future episodes, but an interesting (and terrifying) theory based on some clues...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/this-breaking-bad-theory-is-pretty-mindblowing

Apologies if an earlier version of this was posted; I tried to avoid spoilers before the season started!

R_Webb18
08-15-2013, 04:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CNgEncq.jpg

sonny
08-15-2013, 07:35 PM
There's a couple good podcasts for Breaking Bad out there (and a lot of bad ones). But the good ones that I've found are "the ones who knock" and "Breaking Good". Pretty insightful stuff usually, although these people apparently have no lives.

R_Webb18
08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
There's a couple good podcasts for Breaking Bad out there (and a lot of bad ones). But the good ones that I've found are "the ones who knock" and "Breaking Good". Pretty insightful stuff usually, although these people apparently have no lives.

they are TV critics

Brutus
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Very interesting. I'm sure there are some clues that could be taken from that if we examine very, very closely, but that's a lot to process. I admire the person that took the time to put that together.

Ohayou
08-16-2013, 11:58 PM
"I will kill your infant minerals."

Razor Shines
08-17-2013, 12:43 PM

I was listening to Breaking Good and I was surprised that the season 5 premier got 2.9 million viewers and the season 6 or 5b got 5.9 million viewers. As they pointed out, thank you Netflix.

Redsfaithful
08-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Check out Walter Jr. after getting a new car. Lot of red/pink. Car wreck coming?

Razor Shines
08-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Early bird gets the stacks of cash.

Razor Shines
08-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I can't Belize what is happening.

Tom Servo
08-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it needs to be next Sunday right now.

Reds Fanatic
08-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Wow what an ending. The show tops itself every week.

19braves77
08-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Would have hated to be in the writers room and this episode get assigned to me after last weeks episode. It was nice to see Anna Gunn get an episode.

Tom Servo
08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
It was a good episode for Marie as well. I liked her all purple nightwear.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BR_3HdICYAI9GDS.jpg

Chip R
08-19-2013, 11:07 AM
It was a good episode for Marie as well. I liked her all purple nightwear.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BR_3HdICYAI9GDS.jpg

I noticed how all the kitchen stuff was purple. Purple teakettle...

Razor Shines
08-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Anyone think Jesse rolls? Hank maybe plays nice with Jesse? Kind of uses a common enemy speech...Wouldn't be surprised if Jesse is Breaking Belize in the next couple episodes.

Stray
08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I don't think Jesse will talk. Would be very unlike him, and at this point I don't even think he cares about saving himself.

Brutus
08-19-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't think Jesse will talk. Would be very unlike him, and at this point I don't even think he cares about saving himself.

I don't think he'll talk to save himself. I think he'll talk because he views it as the right thing to do.

He know thinks Walt is a lying murderer (which is ironic as he feels this way not because Walt killed 10 innocent people, but because Walt killed Mike who, on at least three occasions, was going to kill Walt).

I venture to say, though, Hank is willing to give Jesse immunity so that he'll flip. I agree that Jesse may not care to save himself, but I bet he takes it and then gets the heck out of town.

19braves77
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I think this isn't going to end well for Jessie or Hank.

Brutus
08-19-2013, 05:53 PM
I think this isn't going to end well for Jessie or Hank.

I'm sticking with my prediction: Jesse flips on Walt and winds up in witness protection never heard from again, but (presumably) stays alive.

Hank will pursue the case against Walt but winds up fired. I'm still not sure whether I believe he gets killed or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

R_Webb18
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't see Jesse saying much. One reason Jesse had many chances if he wanted and 1 other reason is I don't quite see Breaking Bad going down that route.

Brutus
08-19-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't see Jesse saying much. One reason Jesse had many chances if he wanted and 1 other reason is I don't quite see Breaking Bad going down that route.

Jesse also never turned down money before, and now he's giving it away.

It seems they absolutely are going down that path. They're showing that Jesse wants no part of the business and he's riddled in guilt.

kaldaniels
08-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Speaking of predictions, my gut says the ricin is for Walt's suicide, but my brain says Walt is a smart guy and knows he could simply do the job with carbon monoxide or another lethal but painless gas.

Degenerate39
08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
I think Jesse will side with Hank and try to make up for all that's happened during his time as a cook.

R_Webb18
08-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Jesse also never turned down money before, and now he's giving it away.

It seems they absolutely are going down that path. They're showing that Jesse wants no part of the business and he's riddled in guilt.

Jesse hates Walt but he also hates Hank. If Jesse ever put together the Brock part or found out about Jane he'd side with Hank but at the same time I don't know I'd figure he'd take things in his own hands.

I just don't see Breaking Bad going thru legal system way because they're are 6 episodes left and there is obvious still something going down with the meth side of things.

I could see Jesse trying to say he did everything since the guilt is getting to him but of course Hank wouldn't buy it.

Brutus
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Jesse hates Walt but he also hates Hank. If Jesse ever put together the Brock part or found out about Jane he'd side with Hank but at the same time I don't know I'd figure he'd take things in his own hands.

I just don't see Breaking Bad going thru legal system way because they're are 6 episodes left and there is obvious still something going down with the meth side of things.

I could see Jesse trying to say he did everything since the guilt is getting to him but of course Hank wouldn't buy it.

I agree that they'd never let it get to a courtroom setting, but I think Jesse ultimately flips and before Walt is ever apprehended, he fakes his death, while Jesse winds up leaving town never to be heard from again. I think we were clued in to this possibility during Badger's story when he foreshadowed by saying "where are you going? You're missing the best part."

vaticanplum
08-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Yeah, there's clearly stuff still to come on the meth business end of things. We haven't even talked about Lydia having Landry Clarke take out their business partners.

westofyou
08-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, there's clearly stuff still to come on the meth business end of things. We haven't even talked about Lydia having Landry Clarke take out their business partners.

That's the battle Walt is after now (future Walt that is) Not Hank, not Jesse, not Skylar. He's going to battle those prison monkey's who are probably sullying his blue's reputation, which at this time is likely all he has.

westofyou
08-20-2013, 02:30 PM

That's the battle Walt is after now (future Walt that is) Not Hank, not Jesse, not Skylar. He's going to battle those prison monkey's who are probably sullying his blue's reputation, which at this time is likely all he has.

Redsfaithful
08-20-2013, 05:29 PM

I agree. I think it's about 99% likely the gun is for the skinhead white supremacists.

vaticanplum
08-21-2013, 10:34 AM

Mos def. And I have no doubt the tarantula jar is still going to come back to haunt Walt. That's not the kind of loose end the show leaves untied.

Tom Servo
08-21-2013, 10:41 AM
It seems rather likely that Todd as the head cook for Lydia won't work out all that great, which means Lydia will need Walt or Jesse.

MWM
08-21-2013, 11:55 AM
The character arc of Jesse in this show is one of the best in any show I've ever watched. I think he's a fantastic actor and I love how he's evolved. Fascinating stuff.

Hanks has always been obsessed with Heisenberg. Now that he knows it's Walt, I think he is so consumed by getting him that he goes rogue..... probably even in the next episode. I think he'll go way outside the boundaries of his job and the DEA will cut him loose. But he's so consumed by it that he won't stop and if he doesn't wind up dead (the most likely scenario), he could be the one who winds up in prison.

RBA
08-21-2013, 11:59 AM
It seems rather likely that Todd as the head cook for Lydia won't work out all that great, which means Lydia will need Walt or Jesse.

Which is the reason for the M-60. Walt to free jesse held captive. Hank probably tries to take down the new cartel lab and leadership. Walts motive is more to kill all witnesses than to rescue jesse. Jesse and hank working in cohoots. Jesse motive is to get Todd either dead or arrested.

vaticanplum
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
The character arc of Jesse in this show is one of the best in any show I've ever watched. I think he's a fantastic actor and I love how he's evolved. Fascinating stuff.

I realize this sounds like an absurd thing to say for someone who's won two Emmys for the role, but I don't think he gets enough credit. At the very least, I don't think everyone appreciates just how difficult a role it is to play. He's embodied both an off-the-rails drug addict to a broken-down moral center and everything in between -- by turns confused, confident, student, teacher, loverboy, killer, on and on. One of those is difficult enough for an actor; he's pulled off all of them. And right now he doesn't have much of ANYTHING to do and he's still plowing through it.

MWM
08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I realize this sounds like an absurd thing to say for someone who's won two Emmys for the role, but I don't think he gets enough credit. At the very least, I don't think everyone appreciates just how difficult a role it is to play. He's embodied both an off-the-rails drug addict to a broken-down moral center and everything in between -- by turns confused, confident, student, teacher, loverboy, killer, on and on. One of those is difficult enough for an actor; he's pulled off all of them. And right now he doesn't have much of ANYTHING to do and he's still plowing through it.

Yep, agree. I mentioned it at some point on this forum that while Cranston seems to get most of the hype (not saying he doesn't deserve it as he's been excellent), I think Aaron Paul has been the most impressive actor of this series.

And while I love Breaking Bad, it's still not in the same universe as The Wire for me. However, from a character perspective, I think Jesse Pinkman is right up there with characters from The Wire.

R_Webb18
08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I def think Breaking Bad is in The Wire's league. I could see it passing The Wire if it nails the ending.

I love both though. I like ranking stuff but in a way it's kinda silly since they are both amazing.

Cranston and Paul are both amazing.

MWM
08-21-2013, 05:08 PM
For me The Wire was incredibly cerebral and challenged me to think about how I viewed the world, people, etc.... There was an intellectual/philosophical component to The Wire that is unmatched, IMO.

Breaking Bad is intriguing, with good acting, great characters, good plotting, intense scenes but nothing more really. I can't recall it ever provoking much deep thought. So many of the underlying premises have been pretty far-fetched and lacking believability, where The Wire seemed so real (except season 5, which I am pretending never happened). But Breaking Bad is still great drama. The Wire was so much more than that, at least for me.

NebraskaRed
08-21-2013, 05:21 PM
For me The Wire was incredibly cerebral and challenged me to think about how I viewed the world, people, etc.... There was an intellectual/philosophical component to The Wire that is unmatched, IMO.

Breaking Bad is intriguing, with good acting, great characters, good plotting, intense scenes but nothing more really. I can't recall it ever provoking much deep thought. So many of the underlying premises have been pretty far-fetched and lacking believability, where The Wire seemed so real (except season 5, which I am pretending never happened). But Breaking Bad is still great drama. The Wire was so much more than that, at least for me.

I can't say it better than you did, so I'll just say I completely agree. Breaking Bad is an incredible show, but The Wire and The Sopranos (the two best shows of all time...so far) had a depth to them that made you think about them long after the series had completed. The Wire and The Sopranos had so many things to say about human nature, addiction, the legal system, politics, sex, family, etc. Those shows are art.

Breaking Bad is an amazingly entertaining show, one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen, but it's not art.

MWM
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Agree.

So many of these discussions about TV shows wind up coming back to The Wire (a couple of times because of me :) ). But to me, that show is the gold standard for what TV can be, so it's always going to draw comparisons. If a show is even being mentioned with The Wire, that is a good sign it was a quality show.

Larry Schuler
08-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Breaking Bad is base pulp for the uneducated masses who want their story lacking a human depth expanding beyond the medium. It's Hee Haw if Hee Haw were set in New Mexico and broadcast on basic cable.

Also, where is Flynn???

RichRed
08-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Well said. The question is, Why can't Breaking Bad/Joey Votto be more like The Wire/Miguel Cabrera?

:evil:

NebraskaRed
08-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Well said. The question is, Why can't Breaking Bad/Joey Votto be more like The Wire/Miguel Cabrera?

:evil:

If Breaking Bad would only expand its zone in the last few episodes...

Brutus
08-21-2013, 05:59 PM
I can't say it better than you did, so I'll just say I completely agree. Breaking Bad is an incredible show, but The Wire and The Sopranos (the two best shows of all time...so far) had a depth to them that made you think about them long after the series had completed. The Wire and The Sopranos had so many things to say about human nature, addiction, the legal system, politics, sex, family, etc. Those shows are art.

Breaking Bad is an amazingly entertaining show, one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen, but it's not art.

I haven't yet watched The Wire, against my better judgment as I've heard rave reviews, but I disagree that Breaking Bad doesn't have depth to it. A lot of what makes the story so compelling is that it's based on Walt's motivation and the inner workings of his mind and why he does the things he does. It's a lot like Tony Soprano in that regard, except that the focus of The Sopranos was Dr. Melfi bringing those issues to the surface rather with Walt, you have to read into his actions; his body language; his words; etc.

Breaking Bad isn't just about the drama, it's really about good people and bad people and why they do good things and bad things. I think the show is so good not just because of the suspense, but because of how they compare and contrast personalities and each person's demons with how they handle them.

Razor Shines
08-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Breaking Bad is base pulp for the uneducated masses who want their story lacking a human depth expanding beyond the medium. It's Hee Haw if Hee Haw were set in New Mexico and broadcast on basic cable.

?

I don't know about that. One thing is for sure they didn't dispose of bodies on Hee Haw nearly as efficiently as they do on Breaking Bad. Remember when Don Rich died in that "motor cycle accident" and the rest of The Buckaroos just crudely cut his body to pieces with a chain saw? Walt would have never gone for that.

MWM
08-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I haven't yet watched The Wire, against my better judgment as I've heard rave reviews, but I disagree that Breaking Bad doesn't have depth to it. A lot of what makes the story so compelling is that it's based on Walt's motivation and the inner workings of his mind and why he does the things he does. It's a lot like Tony Soprano in that regard, except that the focus of The Sopranos was Dr. Melfi bringing those issues to the surface rather with Walt, you have to read into his actions; his body language; his words; etc.

Breaking Bad isn't just about the drama, it's really about good people and bad people and why they do good things and bad things. I think the show is so good not just because of the suspense, but because of how they compare and contrast personalities and each person's demons with how they handle them.

Yeah, I just don't see it. That may be what they intended, but I don't think they're pulling that off...as good as the show is. There may be one minute of trying to think about what cancer may lead one to do, but then the minute is over and there's no longer any real "thought" behind it. Walt may experience some conflict here and there throughout, but most of the characters are pretty one dimensional, with the exception of Jesse. He really could be a character in The Wire. :D Breaking Bad is great drama, great story lines, but it's not a character depth show. I doubt they ever intended it to be. There's nothing real about the character of Walter White, IMO.

When you get around to watching The Wire I think you'll understand. But I love Breaking Bad for what it is. It doesn't need to be The Wire. I brought it up only because how much I like the character of Jesse. He's the one character that reminded me of The Wire.

Brutus
08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I just don't see it. That may be what they intended, but I don't think they're pulling that off...as good as the show is. There may be one minute of trying to think about what cancer may lead one to do, but then the minute is over and there's no longer any real "thought" behind it. Walt may experience some conflict here and there throughout, but most of the characters are pretty one dimensional, with the exception of Jesse. He really could be a character in The Wire. :D Breaking Bad is great drama, great story lines, but it's not a character depth show. I doubt they ever intended it to be. There's nothing real about the character of Walter White, IMO.

When you get around to watching The Wire I think you'll understand. But I love Breaking Bad for what it is. It doesn't need to be The Wire. I brought it up only because how much I like the character of Jesse. He's the one character that reminded me of The Wire.

In Vince's words, it most definitely is. Vince said all along is that he wanted to take an ordinary guy and bring him along a character transformation from "Mr. Chips to Scarface." However, they couldn't make the protagonist an antagonist at risk of losing viewers, so they had to use other characters' flaws and other antagonists to contrast him against in order for people to maintain some level of sympathy or at least a vague attachment.

If you notice, Breaking Bad has something very much in common with Sopranos is that in order for people to still root for, or at least not dislike Walter, they have to established other threats and other people that you enjoy seeing hurt or killed. They are establishing depth to keep the main character having sympathetic motives and a rooting interest.

I'm not saying there aren't other shows that are deeper. Heck, LOST is one of the most in-depth shows at building characters I've ever seen. Breaking Bad certainly isn't on that level. But whether you realize it or not, Breaking Bad would have never survived as a show if they weren't building the depth of other characters. It's the only reason an anti-hero can survive as a fascinating protagonist without alienating the show's viewers.

MWM
08-21-2013, 10:05 PM
In Vince's words, it most definitely is. Vince said all along is that he wanted to take an ordinary guy and bring him along a character transformation from "Mr. Chips to Scarface." However, they couldn't make the protagonist an antagonist at risk of losing viewers, so they had to use other characters' flaws and other antagonists to contrast him against in order for people to maintain some level of sympathy or at least a vague attachment.

If you notice, Breaking Bad has something very much in common with Sopranos is that in order for people to still root for, or at least not dislike Walter, they have to established other threats and other people that you enjoy seeing hurt or killed. They are establishing depth to keep the main character having sympathetic motives and a rooting interest.

I'm not saying there aren't other shows that are deeper. Heck, LOST is one of the most in-depth shows at building characters I've ever seen. Breaking Bad certainly isn't on that level. But whether you realize it or not, Breaking Bad would have never survived as a show if they weren't building the depth of other characters. It's the only reason an anti-hero can survive as a fascinating protagonist without alienating the show's viewers.

Oh, it's definitely a character transformation show, just not a character exploration one. I just think it lacks any depth of thought about the world the characters live in. It's very much a contrived world that's a setting for the show. Mr. Chips to Scarface is what they've done and it's a lot of fun. But it's not the same as character depth. Yes, they have the anti-hero, antagonist/protagonist thing going, but it's not really authentic for me. And honestly, it's fine with me. It's a suspense thriller. Scenes like the final one in the first episode of this season is what Breaking Bad is all about. That scene was awesome and captures what's great about Breaking Bad. The chess scene in the first season of The Wire captures what that show is all about. Two different animals, great in their own way. Again, I think if you watch The Wire, you'll see where I'm coming from. I think you'll see the difference.

People compare The Sopranos to The Wire a lot and I loved The Sopranos, but I don't think they are much alike at all. In my opinion, Sopranos is also not in the same universe as The Wire. The Sopranos characters were likeable and had some depth to them, but they were still clearly TV drama characters.

It's funny you brought up Lost because I almost mentioned that show in my last post. I thought lost was total genius.....right up to the last few episodes where it fell flat for me. The character development, evolution. Lost was all about the characters and their interaction. The world they created was just a backdrop for that. It seems like the characters are a backdrop for the plot they created for Breaking Bad. Of course, this is all just my own opinion. People see different things when they watch TV.

Larry Schuler
08-21-2013, 10:09 PM
BB is so deep I STILL don't fully understand the fly episode 3 years later.

Wonderful Monds
08-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Oh, it's definitely a character transformation show, just not a character exploration one. I just think it lacks any depth of thought about the world the characters live in. It's very much a contrived world that's a setting for the show. Mr. Chips to Scarface is what they've done and it's a lot of fun. But it's not the same as character depth. Yes, they have the anti-hero, antagonist/protagonist thing going, but it's not really authentic for me. And honestly, it's fine with me. It's a suspense thriller. Scenes like the final one in the first episode of this season is what Breaking Bad is all about. That scene was awesome and captures what's great about Breaking Bad. The chess scene in the first season of The Wire captures what that show is all about. Two different animals, great in their own way. Again, I think if you watch The Wire, you'll see where I'm coming from. I think you'll see the difference.

People compare The Sopranos to The Wire a lot and I loved The Sopranos, but I don't think they are much alike at all. In my opinion, Sopranos is also not in the same universe as The Wire. The Sopranos characters were likeable and had some depth to them, but they were still clearly TV drama characters.

It's funny you brought up Lost because I almost mentioned that show in my last post. I thought lost was total genius.....right up to the last few episodes where it fell flat for me. The character development, evolution. Lost was all about the characters and their interaction. The world they created was just a backdrop for that. It seems like the characters are a backdrop for the plot they created for Breaking Bad. Of course, this is all just my own opinion. People see different things when they watch TV.
I don't think that's true at all. Consider the whole plane crash arc, a giant allegory for the effect Walt has on the world around him. It definitely explores characters.

It might not be a direct parallel to the real world, but I don't think that's inherently necessary to be compelling or interesting.

RBA
08-22-2013, 12:02 AM
I just don't get the time frame for all this stuff going down. I guess it's suppose to be less than two years, and most of the stuff happens in the last year. It seems Hank been out on sick leave more than a year alone.

Does anyone think Brock will be killed off some how?

gilpdawg
08-22-2013, 02:39 AM
I just don't get the time frame for all this stuff going down. I guess it's suppose to be less than two years, and most of the stuff happens in the last year. It seems Hank been out on sick leave more than a year alone.

Does anyone think Brock will be killed off some how?

The show started on Walt's 50th birthday and he turns 52 in the flash forward, so it's still been just a year and change. Plus Holly is still very small, and she was born at the end of season 2.

NebraskaRed
08-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Also, where is Flynn???

I think he found an IHOP that was open 24 hours. He will never leave.

Tom Servo
08-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Also, where is Flynn???
He and Louis eloped.

Razor Shines
08-22-2013, 03:44 PM
He and Louis eloped.

Just wait until you see that Emmy winning love scene. Classy and implied. I'm glad they chose not to pretend the crutches didn't exist.

gilpdawg
08-23-2013, 03:53 AM
I thought Flynn was Kaiser Soze? No crutches needed. :)

19braves77
08-23-2013, 07:05 AM
BB is so deep I STILL don't fully understand the fly episode 3 years later.

Jessie learns the only way to deal with Walts obsession is to play along and we furth learn the extent of Walt's paranoia. Many believe the fly wasn't ever there until the end of the show. Rewatch and listen to Jessie's story about the possum.

Tom Servo
08-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I have never been more angry/upset watching TV ever than during Walt's 'confession'.

Team Hank/Marie 4 life.

19braves77
08-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Can anybody explain how Jessie pieced it together ? I watched that scene twice

Tom Servo
08-25-2013, 10:12 PM
He realized that Huell had replaced his dope with cigarettes, just like he had replaced the cigarette pack with the ricin cigarette Jesse had with another cigarette pack.

Razor Shines
08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Can anybody explain how Jessie pieced it together ? I watched that scene twice

To me it was too much of a giveaway that Saul would have even risked it.

Jesse has been racking his brain for who could have expertly lifted his cigs with the ricin. Someone he already suspects proves he has the ability? I can't see Saul risking that.

Tom Servo
08-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I don't think the whole 'Brock' thing is even a blip on Saul's radar these days. Hell, when was the last time we saw Jesse reference Brock anyway? It's one of those things that you know is still on Jesse's mind but obviously he's not going around talking about it all the time, and it's a total non-issue to everyone else in the BB world.

When Jesse first started grabbing around, I thought Huell had taken his phone and they set him up to be killed.

19braves77
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
We now know what puts Walt on the run and Jessie is the one who spray paints the house.....

If not for that great acting that scene with the cig pack comes across as very lazy writing..

The last twenty minutes of this episode was the best of the series.

Razor Shines
08-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't think the whole 'Brock' thing is even a blip on Saul's radar these days. Hell, when was the last time we saw Jesse reference Brock anyway? It's one of those things that you know is still on Jesse's mind but obviously he's not going around talking about it all the time, and it's a total non-issue to everyone else in the BB world.

When Jesse first started grabbing around, I thought Huell had taken his phone and they set him up to be killed.

Maybe. But he did have to make the decision for Huell to lift his dope and I think that would have reminded him. "Hey Huell, he's got some dope in his pocket. Replace that with a pack of cigs....yeah, exactly like you did with the ricin....oh wait."

08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I have never been more angry/upset watching TV ever than during Walt's 'confession'.

Team Hank/Marie 4 life.

Worse than Ryan Braun's "confession?"

19braves77
08-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Lot of people discussion the reveal with Jessie:

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/-em-breaking-bad-em-was-jesses-big-epiphany-believable/279017/

like I said if the scene comes across as lame it looks like very convenient writing ..... I guess the scene will grow on me.

Chip R
08-26-2013, 12:29 AM

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/-em-breaking-bad-em-was-jesses-big-epiphany-believable/279017/

like I said if the scene comes across as lame it looks like very convenient writing ..... I guess the scene will grow on me.

That whole plot was pretty tough to believe in the first place. Now they are doubling down on it.

Brutus
08-26-2013, 12:43 AM

I don't see it as lazy writing. They planted this seed in season four. Jesse already first suspected Huell lifted the cigarettes off him when he accused Walt of poisoning Brock, so knowing he lifted his pot this time was a sensible conclusion for him to reach.

Remember that Jesse even told Walt he thought Heull took the ricin when he went into Saul's office. This just confirmed his suspicions.

08-26-2013, 02:34 AM
I don't see it as lazy writing. They planted this seed in season four. Jesse already first suspected Huell lifted the cigarettes off him when he accused Walt of poisoning Brock, so knowing he lifted his pot this time was a sensible conclusion for him to reach.

Remember that Jesse even told Walt he thought Heull took the ricin when he went into Saul's office. This just confirmed his suspicions.

The lazy writing was the way Jesse's suspicions were confirmed. It's just not believable that Saul would have Huell do the same thing to Jesse that he did with the Ricin.

It's another of a long line examples in the past few seasons of having really smart characters do really dumb things, for the sake of progressing the plot. That's the very definition of lazy writing. But the show was so smartly written in the first three seasons, that everyone is willing to overlook them, and that's fine. Considering it's in its fifth season, the plot holes are rather minor, and acceptable at this point.

Brutus
08-26-2013, 02:46 AM
The lazy writing was the way Jesse's suspicions were confirmed. It's just not believable that Saul would have Huell do the same thing to Jesse that he did with the Ricin.

It's another of a long line examples in the past few seasons of having really smart characters do really dumb things, for the sake of progressing the plot. That's the very definition of lazy writing. But the show was so smartly written in the first three seasons, that everyone is willing to overlook them, and that's fine. Considering it's in its fifth season, the plot holes are rather minor, and acceptable at this point.

I don't see what your point is. Saul wasn't trying to fool Jesse, he just didn't want him showing up with a bag of pot, possibly ruining his chance to flee. The last thing on Saul's mind would have been thinking that Jesse might thus figure out Huell is the one that took his ricin if he also takes the pot. As far as Saul was concerned, that was a closed book. There'd have been no reason for that to cross his mind. That simply wasn't an issue any longer.

It's not lazy writing at all. It's actually very clever that they were thinking that far ahead. The whole point the writers have been trying to get across is that it's not the big things that wind up unraveling lies; it's always the smallest details. They continue to be terrific at doing that. This is just another example.

The little things are what get even the smartest of folks. It's always the smallest detail they don't think through that ruins a lie. This is actually the way a lie would be expected to unravel. There's no reason Saul would have ever thought Jesse would put two and two together. Smart folks don't slip up on the big things. It's the things you'd have no reason to think about that wind up biting you in the rear -- like this.

I think you're really reaching with the criticism.

R_Webb18
08-26-2013, 02:49 AM
Huelle took weed only. He didn't replace them with cigarettes. When Jesse looked at his cigarettes and couldn't find his weed it triggered in his head what happened to the risen cigarette.

Brutus
08-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Huelle took weed only. He didn't replace them with cigarettes. When Jesse looked at his cigarettes and couldn't find his weed it triggered in his head what happened to the risen cigarette.

Yeah he wasn't trying to fool Jesse. He only took the weed because he didn't want Jesse to lose his chance to leave. He figured Jesse would either be gone before he noticed or even if he did notice before he left, there's no reason Saul would have ever expected Jesse to put two and two together.

Tom Servo
08-26-2013, 03:45 AM
There have been hundreds of unlikely, unrealistic, or convenient things that have occurred in the Breaking Bad universe over the shows five seasons so I'm not quite sure why this one is being so harshly scrutinized.

Even if Saul did guess that maybe Jesse would suddenly think of the long-forgotten Brock thing, he was just minutes away from Jesse being out of the picture forever. But in order to get to that point, he had to make sure Jesse didn't have any pot on his person.

Edit: whoops, should have read the most recent posts.

kaldaniels
08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
I want a spinoff about the guy in the red minivan.

Stray
08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Well in the flash forward we know the house didn't get burned down, it was trashed, but still standing. Then you have the spider that approached Jesse in the desert. I don't think this is gonna end well for him.

And if you believe Walt is taking things from the people he kills, like the traits he's picked up from Gus (Volvo, legitimate business, putting towel down to throw up), Crazy 8 (cutting crusts off sandwiches), Mike (scotch on the rocks), in the flash forward Walt went from a Volvo to a Cadillac when he bought those guns. Gus drove a Volvo and Jesse just stole a Cadillac. And in the last flash forward I think Walt was even driving a car that looked like the one Mike used to drive, I'm not positive though.