PDA

View Full Version : 24,841? R U Kidding Me?

Kingspoint
07-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Cincinnati isn't a baseball town. They haven't been a baseball town since the 1970's. But, then....looking back. Were they ever a baseball town? Who couldn't get up for The Big Red Machine? Showing up to those games doesn't make you a baseball town. Showing up when your team is losing makes you a baseball town.

Cincinnati can't even show up when they're winning anymore. The 1995 playoffs in Cincinnati? Embarrassing. Louisville and Indianapolis are better baseball towns.

A Sunday Afternoon in the middle of July on a perfectly sunny day (86 degrees), and they have the stands only half filled. 24,841 is paid tickets. How many actually showed up is a much smaller number.

We've been hearing the excuses for over two decades now. Those ships have long sailed.

Cincinnati is what it is....a football town. They love their Bengals. They show up despite the fact that they have the worst owner in all of professional sports over the last 22 years next to Donald Sterling. They show up even though they haven't won a single playoff game over those 22 years. They show up despite getting hosed on prices (franchise fees....preseason games that are meaningless....price increases despite a bad product). They show up even though they have thugs and felons for players while the REDS are squeaky clean (the Marge years with the haircuts and shaved faces), along with shipping out the worst offender in Josh Hamilton, and he did nothing compared to the average Bengal.

Sadly....and I have no idea how it happened, this town stopped being a
Baseball Town. They still have the Parade, while schools are still closed. But, I have a feeling that kids would rather be inside playing a video game instead of out at the ballpark watching the REDS. It's a shame. It's a shame because it's not that way in St. Louis. They are a baseball town. You can see it every time you visit the City. St. Louis bleeds baseball. That's why it was a shame to see the fans of Cincinnati fail to even show up on a Sunday....Family Day....to give the Cardinals a razzing and the REDS some shouts of support.

For those of you who do attend the games, here's to you: :beerme:

You are the true REDS fans.

For those of you who can't afford to get to the games or don't have the means of getting there, but are still glued to the radio or TV with every pitch, here's to you: :beerme:

For those of you who can afford to get there, but just casually talk about the REDS or claim to be REDS fans...when they're winning, here's to you: :thumbdown:

You are what you are....a wannabe...a bandwagon jumper...a hangin'-with-the-Jones's type of fan. Go away or else poney up for a ticket and give your time and money to the cause. I'd rather cheer along with the 24,841 who really want to be at the game than have a conversation with a wannabe.

Krawhitham
07-17-2011, 05:27 PM
They said it was a sell out on TV the 6th in the last 8 games

Votto4MVP
07-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah we are averaging like 33k a game the last 3 homestands they said.

R_Webb18
07-17-2011, 05:31 PM
btw are we a winner?

bshall2105
07-17-2011, 05:51 PM
This is a weird time for this post.

big boy
07-17-2011, 06:03 PM
1. 24k is more than half full
2. FSN's ratings should be factored in when trying to determine if Cincy is a baseball town
3. Why do you care what kind of town Cincy is?

Vottomatic
07-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Cincinnati isn't a baseball town. They haven't been a baseball town since the 1970's. But, then....looking back. Were they ever a baseball town? Who couldn't get up for The Big Red Machine? Showing up to those games doesn't make you a baseball town. Showing up when your team is losing makes you a baseball town.

Cincinnati can't even show up when they're winning anymore. The 1995 playoffs in Cincinnati? Embarrassing. Louisville and Indianapolis are better baseball towns.

A Sunday Afternoon in the middle of July on a perfectly sunny day (86 degrees), and they have the stands only half filled. 24,841 is paid tickets. How many actually showed up is a much smaller number.

We've been hearing the excuses for over two decades now. Those ships have long sailed.

Cincinnati is what it is....a football town. They love their Bengals. They show up despite the fact that they have the worst owner in all of professional sports over the last 22 years next to Donald Sterling. They show up even though they haven't won a single playoff game over those 22 years. They show up despite getting hosed on prices (franchise fees....preseason games that are meaningless....price increases despite a bad product). They show up even though they have thugs and felons for players while the REDS are squeaky clean (the Marge years with the haircuts and shaved faces), along with shipping out the worst offender in Josh Hamilton, and he did nothing compared to the average Bengal.

Sadly....and I have no idea how it happened, this town stopped being a
Baseball Town. They still have the Parade, while schools are still closed. But, I have a feeling that kids would rather be inside playing a video game instead of out at the ballpark watching the REDS. It's a shame. It's a shame because it's not that way in St. Louis. They are a baseball town. You can see it every time you visit the City. St. Louis bleeds baseball. That's why it was a shame to see the fans of Cincinnati fail to even show up on a Sunday....Family Day....to give the Cardinals a razzing and the REDS some shouts of support.

For those of you who do attend the games, here's to you: :beerme:

For those of you who can't afford to get to the games or don't have the means of getting there, but are still glued to the radio or TV with every pitch, here's to you: :beerme:

For those of you who can afford to get there, but just casually talk about the REDS or claim to be REDS fans...when they're winning, here's to you: :thumbdown:

You are what you are....a wannabe...a bandwagon jumper...a hangin'-with-the-Jones's type of fan. Go away or else poney up for a ticket and give your time and money to the cause. I'd rather cheer along with the 24,841 who really want to be at the game than have a conversation with a wannabe.

I think I speak for all of us when I say......

WAAAAAAAAA!

webbbj
07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
who really cares.

the football season only features 8 home games so its gonna be easier to sellout 8 games than 81. The bengals have seen plenty of days of blackouts on Sundays aswell.

Cincinnati is a bandwagon city with everything. We are supposedly a college basketball town aswell and went from selling out UC basketball games to barely filling half the gym. Bearcat football had its shining moment and they still struggled last year to fill the stadium.

The reds are the same. attendance will be better as long as their in it but we wont see sellouts every nite until they resign votto for 6-7 years and make 2-3 deep playoff runs.

WestSideBomber
07-18-2011, 12:36 PM
It's interesting how the original poster ignores how well the Reds have been drawing recently despite the team not doing so well. The Reds are now right smack in the middle of the league in attendance at 27,285. Last season the Reds averaged 25,438!

I for one, would like to congratulate Reds fans on selling out 6 of the last 9 home games!

And to address the "issue" of Cincinnati being a baseball town, it's hard to say. I don't think Cincinnati is a one sport town of any kind. We are just an all around sports town. Last calender year, Cincinnati had 2 NCAA teams in the tournament, an MLB team in the playoffs, a CHL team win their championship, an "NFL" team, a NCAA team in a BCS bowl, and numerous of the best high school sports programs in the entire country to choose from. I'd settle for being an overall sports town over being an individual team's town any day of the week.

But, if you want some evidence of how big the Reds are amongst the younger people (myself included) you should take a peek at Twitter. Aside from the Red Sox and Yankees, the Reds have probably one of the biggest Twitter followings. It is now out of the ordinary for Reds players to be trending in the US (BP was on Friday night and even Cozart was for a bit yesterday!). You rarely see other team's players trend, but I see Reds players up there all the time. Then you can look at what's trending in Cincinnati and after Reds games, usually 3 or 4 names are trending. To me, that says that even though these fans may not be attending (like myself who lives in Kansas), they are by no means not Reds fans!

/rant lol.

Jr's Boy
07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Sugarcoat it all you want.Fairweather fans,apathy.There is NO excuse for not selling out a series versus your most hated rival.

TheBigLebowski
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Bomb the OP all you want, but he's not wrong.

BTW, there is a big difference in announcing a "sellout" in terms of tickets sold and actual fannies in the seats.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I love the Reds, but if I have the chance to watch the game in a nice cool AC chilled room or sit out in the sun and bake...I am going to stay cool and watch the game....

Vottomatic
07-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Cincinnati is smack dab in the middle of everything sports. And this isn't a one sport town. It's a multi-sports town with a small population.

NFL, MLB, college basketball (UC, Xavier, UK, O$U, Loserville), college football (UC, O$U, Miami, even alot of Notre Dame alumni here), Cleveland Cavaliers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Cyclones, Kentucky Derby, Racing at Sparta, KY........high school football and basketball........probably missed a bunch of stuff.........

mlh1981
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
here's what I can't figure out:

Why are Sunday afternoon games ALWAYS a smaller draw than Fri/Sat nite games. If anything, I think Sunday afternoon games would be PERFECT for people with young children

Vottomatic
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Why are Sunday afternoon games ALWAYS a smaller draw than Fri/Sat nite games. If anything, I think Sunday afternoon games would be PERFECT for people with young children

Everyone is in church. :eek:

brm7675
07-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Fri/Sat = night games cooler and much better to sit out and watch
Sun = early afternoon in heat of the day

Kingspoint
07-18-2011, 08:59 PM
It's interesting how the original poster ignores how well the Reds have been drawing recently despite the team not doing so well. The Reds are now right smack in the middle of the league in attendance at 27,285. Last season the Reds averaged 25,438!

I for one, would like to congratulate Reds fans on selling out 6 of the last 9 home games!

And to address the "issue" of Cincinnati being a baseball town, it's hard to say. I don't think Cincinnati is a one sport town of any kind. We are just an all around sports town. Last calender year, Cincinnati had 2 NCAA teams in the tournament, an MLB team in the playoffs, a CHL team win their championship, an "NFL" team, a NCAA team in a BCS bowl, and numerous of the best high school sports programs in the entire country to choose from. I'd settle for being an overall sports town over being an individual team's town any day of the week.

But, if you want some evidence of how big the Reds are amongst the younger people (myself included) you should take a peek at Twitter. Aside from the Red Sox and Yankees, the Reds have probably one of the biggest Twitter followings. It is now out of the ordinary for Reds players to be trending in the US (BP was on Friday night and even Cozart was for a bit yesterday!). You rarely see other team's players trend, but I see Reds players up there all the time. Then you can look at what's trending in Cincinnati and after Reds games, usually 3 or 4 names are trending. To me, that says that even though these fans may not be attending (like myself who lives in Kansas), they are by no means not Reds fans!

/rant lol.

Good post, WestSideBomber.

Post more often.

Kingspoint
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Everyone is in church. :eek:

Guess Bengals' fans don't go to Church.

OGB
07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I've always thought in the past that Cincinnati was a town with a disproportionately large population of bad, bandwagon fans. Nowadays, I think it is a lot more complicated than that.
For starters, there is the fact that Cincinnati is the 27th largest metropolitan area in the US, making it the 27th biggest market in MLB, only 63,000 ahead of Cleveland and 95,000 ahead of KC.
There are lots of oppurtunities to attend sporting events in Cincy, as many have already mentioned. Also, high school sports have a far more rabid following in our city than most.
Every city has its share of fans who ride the bandwagon and come out of the woodwork when times are good. Cincinnati has plenty, and they become obvious when you're a hardcore fan and the sports teams in this city have struggled the way they have for the past 20 years. Most professional sports towns just have a lot more fans in general and fewer extended periods of little to no success.

bounty37h
07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Fri/Sat = night games cooler and much better to sit out and watch
Sun = early afternoon in heat of the day

Sounds like the reason boils down (no pun intended) to we have excuses. Let it be a bobblehad game though, or the Yankees in town, suddenly it wont be so hot out I guess.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like the reason boils down (no pun intended) to we have excuses. Let it be a bobblehad game though, or the Yankees in town, suddenly it wont be so hot out I guess.

Yep, give a ways rule, I will be at this Sat's game vs. teh Brave because it is Gomes bobblehead game. Also nice to see the Braves also....

Old NDN
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
You think it's bad now, wait 'til they fall out of it. At this point, the Reds have done virtually nothing to improve this team, despite the glaring problems. How can fans get excited about that? Solution? More Bobblehead nights?

bounty37h
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
You think it's bad now, wait 'til they fall out of it. At this point, the Reds have done virtually nothing to improve this team, despite the glaring problems. How can fans get excited about that? Solution? More Bobblehead nights?

Who knows. I guess not enough true baseball and Reds fans in the area (I dont know, dont live there)? I go to @ 10-15 Durham Bulls games a year; I dont care about the team, their parent team, or any players on the team, I go because I simply love baseball and want to watch. They dont give away anything just for going (only ticket plans get giveaways there anymore), yet draw nice size crowds most nights. However, I realize when I am there that its more of a social event for many, and still draw because of the movie, 25 years later. They host USA games at that stadium, great baseball, and can barely get a thousand people, for those games, which is dissapointing

brm7675
07-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Problem is with how bad this division is, we won't "fall" out of it till maybe mid to late Sept and by then the season is just about over anyway...

Girevik
07-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Guess Bengals' fans don't go to Church.

If more of us did, maybe God wouldn't hate the team so much. :)

jwmann2
07-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Fans in general only go to games when the team is winning and just wait for the team to get good and compete with teams that have tons of money. Those teams have tons of money because their fans go to the games! (Philly, Yankees, Red Sox) Mindset of the fan has to change and it never will! Bandwagon fans will be around forever!

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 10:27 PM
You think 24,000 is bad? Wait until the next home stand. The attendance is going to be quickly dwindling with this pathetic team. Factor in the heat, and they may be in serious trouble.

Fon Duc Tow
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
When was the last time the Reds won a playoff game?

1995?

1895?

Seriously... I love the Reds, and I have been to a couple games this year. But I'm tired of listening to advocates of millionaires tell me I'm not supporting them enough.

Just win, or shut the piehole. Are the Reds even a .500 club? Yeah, let me just go write them a blank check right now to cover all of their awesomeness... :rolleyes:

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I agree. Some may argue they're only 4 or 5 games out. But the reality of the situation is that they're not even a .500 team. And they play in a weak division.

Girevik
07-20-2011, 08:21 AM
You think 24,000 is bad? Wait until the next home stand. The attendance is going to be quickly dwindling with this pathetic team. Factor in the heat, and they may be in serious trouble.

Doesn't look like it. I'm taking my kids to the game on Friday and couldn't get tickets in the bleachers. And Saturday is a bobblehead game, which are always huge, and Sunday is the ESPN night game. I think this weekend at least will have really strong attendance.