PDA

View Full Version : Reds in talks (again) for Ludwick and Heath Bell?

Vottomatic
07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a1

The Phillies and Reds are said to match best with the Padres since both those teams seek a righthanded-hitting outfielder and relief help. The Padres seem of a mind to hear what the Reds might offer since the match is probably best with them, but Cincinnati is more methodical in its dealings than Philly GM Ruben Amaro, who is in the Whitey Herzog school of direct dealing. The Cardinals, Yankees, Angels and White Sox are believed to be the other teams talking to the Padres about bullpen help. San Diego is relief central, with Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Chad Qualls. They also have outfielder Ryan Ludwick, who could help the Giants, Braves, Pirates or Indians as well as the Reds or Phillies. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has ties to Ludwick from St. Louis.

I'm interested in Heath Bell, but not Ludwick.

drowg14
07-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm interested in Heath Bell, but not Ludwick.

I would agree with this. Except for his high strikeout rate I feel like Heisey is equal to Ludwick. Bell would be a nice addition though.

DocRed
07-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Why would we want Heath Bell? He is not signed past 2011.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Yep get those pitchers...I am sure that will help us score runs....

bshall2105
07-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Yep get those pitchers...I am sure that will help us score runs....

I would rather have one of the best closers in the game in the bullpen instead of Jeremy Horst getting to watch a free MLB game every night.

redsfan_12
07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I would rather have one of the best closers in the game in the bullpen instead of Jeremy Horst getting to watch a free MLB game every night.

+1

mr. red
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd take Ludwick in the lineup offensively over Heisey. I'd also take Heath Bell in the 9th over Cordero. Not sure how CoCo would take to a set-up role though....maybe we would trade him?

brm7675
07-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Exactly how many attempts has Co-Co had so far this season? Why so low? Becasue our offense isn't getting the job done, so sure bring over another closer to sit out in the bullpen...yep smart baseball there...

mr. red
07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Exactly how many attempts has Co-Co had so far this season? Why so low? Becasue our offense isn't getting the job done, so sure bring over another closer to sit out in the bullpen...yep smart baseball there...

I'll say we have an inconsistent offense, but our offense leads the NL in Runs, 2nd in Hits, 2nd in Total Bases, 2nd in RBIs, 3rd in HRs, 3rd in OBP, 3rd in OPS tied for 4th in AVG, 5th in SLG.

And regarding pitching, we have a bottom 4 ERA and in the top 7 for Quality Starts. I'd say that the bullpen has been an issue to a large degree, because we aren't finishing the games like we did last year.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I'll say we have an inconsistent offense, but our offense leads the NL in Runs, 2nd in Hits, 2nd in Total Bases, 2nd in RBIs, 3rd in HRs, 3rd in OBP, 3rd in OPS tied for 4th in AVG, 5th in SLG.

And regarding pitching, we have a bottom 4 ERA and in the top 7 for Quality Starts. I'd say that the bullpen has been an issue to a large degree, because we aren't finishing the games like we did last year.

How many games has our bullpen blown this year? What maybe like 4-5 total? How many games has our offense put up 3 runs or less? We put up 8 runs in one game then score like 2 the next 3-4. Again our pitching is fine, we need something that allows our offense to become more consistant and another bullpen arm doesn't do that. Give me a bat or two and someone who can leadoff and make contact, and we will be fine.

mr. red
07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
How many games has our bullpen blown this year? What maybe like 4-5 total? How many games has our offense put up 3 runs or less? We put up 8 runs in one game then score like 2 the next 3-4. Again our pitching is fine, we need something that allows our offense to become more consistant and another bullpen arm doesn't do that. Give me a bat or two and someone who can leadoff and make contact, and we will be fine.

In 33 Save Opportunities, the Reds bullpen has blown 13 games.

40YrRedsFan
07-18-2011, 08:10 PM

brm7675
07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
In 33 Save Opportunities, the Reds bullpen has blown 13 games.

And in how many games has our pitchers given up 4 runs or less and we lost? Again pitching is not the issue...

40YrRedsFan
07-18-2011, 08:13 PM

We need a # 4 hitter, period. Our pitching has improved considerably, and bringing in a hitter to help score more runs would help the pitching by easing some of the pressure on them to be perfect every time out.

40YrRedsFan
07-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I am not real excited about Ludwick. I would rather see someone like Hunter Pence. It would be more expensive, but much larger upside with Pence being 5 years younger and a better run producer.

40YrRedsFan
07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe Michael Cuddyer if Pence couldn't be obtained.

40YrRedsFan
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Is Jose Bautista available?

brm7675
07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Maybe Michael Cuddyer if Pence couldn't be obtained.

I think you have to go hard on Pence, yes even maybe overpay a tad, but offer them something they can't refuse, offer them Stubbs, Homer and a low AA prospect maybe, but adding him changes our lineup and improves it.

mr. red
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
We need a # 4 hitter, period. Our pitching has improved considerably, and bringing in a hitter to help score more runs would help the pitching by easing some of the pressure on them to be perfect every time out.

I am not arguing that we don't need another bat. I would love to see the Reds get a solid, run producing hitter. But to say that pitching is not the problem is ridiculous.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I am not arguing that we don't need another bat. I would love to see the Reds get a solid, run producing hitter. But to say that pitching is not the problem is ridiculous.

It's not a problem, again if we scored runs on a consistant basis we would be near 60 wins...

bshall2105
07-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Upgrading the bullpen does not mean that you don't also upgrade the offense. They have the assets to do both. If they can get a good deal on Bell they have to do it. We don't have many people in the bullpen that you know what you're going to get from them this late in the season. You know that Bell will be good.

Vottomatic
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Nobody has screamed more about needing a 4-hole hitter. See my thread titled "Letter to Bob and Walt".

But in commenting about this potential trade, I'm just saying I don't really care for Ludwick. I'd only be interested in Bell if they could sign him as the future closer in the $8M range per year.

FireDusty
07-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Some of the best trades in the history of baseball are the ones never made.

This club is loaded in the upper minors and another wave is coming right behind that one.

Get rid of dead wood, bring up the first wave now so you aren't breaking camp with a bunch of rookies next year and chalk this season up to exactly what it is, a chase for division title in the weakest division in baseball.

Why unload talent to maybe win a weak division just to get ***** slapped in the first round?

Worse is that you unload talent and not even win the weak ass division.

Don't trade anybody. Start releasing veterans you can't trade and trade the ones you can for peanuts just to make room for the youngsters.