PDA

View Full Version : Trade News

wvreds
07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Acoording to John Heyman of SI ... The Reds are rumoured to have offerd Alonso, Wood, and Volquez to Rockies for Jimenez... Thoughts believe there is any truth ??

Stray
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
That would be awesome if we can get him with that offer.

DocRed
07-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Hmmm...SI...I would do it, but I don't think Rockies would.

kg112686
07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Heyman's Twitter:

SI_JonHeyman
rivals believe #reds equipped to trade for top reliever and/or jimenez. ubaldo package could be: alonso/wood/volquez

could being the key word there. never says they made the offer

Hillsdale87
07-18-2011, 06:02 PM
If that's the offer I'm all for it. I feel like the Rockies would probably want a little more though.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Never happen, Rockies would want someone like Cueto/Bruce and such for that guy.

AintlifeGrande
07-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Rockies want ML ready prospects.Which we got.

mr. red
07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Never happen, Rockies would want someone like Cueto/Bruce and such for that guy.

Cueto/Bruce could haul in a lot more than Ubaldo Jimenez.

Razzle
07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Helton still has a couple of years left on his deal, though I think they could move him as his salary is reasonable. Assuming they want him to spend his entire career in Colorado, I can't see them wanting Alonso as that is a huge outfield he'd have to play in out in left. And I wouldn't even think about trading Jay Bruce straight up for Jimenez.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Rockies want ML ready prospects.Which we got.

they want that AND Major league ready players. Again to get this guy you will have to include the likes of Cueto or Bruce or Stubbs or Homer and such. It will take 3-4 guys, 2 being on the ML roster and 2 prospects to get this guy.

mr. red
07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
they want that AND Major league ready players. Again to get this guy you will have to include the likes of Cueto or Bruce or Stubbs or Homer and such. It will take 3-4 guys, 2 being on the ML roster and 2 prospects to get this guy.

It wouldn't take more than Alonso, Frazier and Wood.

brm7675
07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
It wouldn't take more than Alonso, Frazier and Wood.

You are dreaming, there is no way they would accept that. They hold all they keys, they don't have to deal him, there is no reason to deal him. Trust me it will take to A+ and a couple of minor leagues to pry him away from the rockies.

Vottomatic
07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
NO TEAM in contention is going to trade their major league players for an additional piece of the puzzle. They never do. Why would any contending team WEAKEN their already winning/contending lineup to add another piece of the puzzle????? That's just plain stupid. And rarely do you see that happen.

Sabathia and other were obtained with top prospects.

If the Rockies want Bruce or Stubbs........the Reds would just weaken their team to add a piece. Not going to happen.

I can see Wood, Volquez, Alonso, and maybe someone like Heisey, who is a part time type player. No way Bruce or Votto or any other key piece to the lineup gets traded and weakens this team though.

Newman4
07-18-2011, 08:41 PM
You are dreaming, there is no way they would accept that. They hold all they keys, they don't have to deal him, there is no reason to deal him. Trust me it will take to A+ and a couple of minor leagues to pry him away from the rockies. I don't think he's dreaming. That offer is more than fair. If the Rockies disagree then move on to the next potential deal.

OGB
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM

I like Bailey and Stubbs, but do you actually realize the difference between Cueto/Bruce and Bailey/Stubbs?
I wouldn't trade Cueto for Jimenez straight up. He's younger, signed longer and to an affordable contract, and currently pitching much better.

That said, I'd take Jimenez for EV, Alonso, Wood...even throw in Francisco if you want.

mroby85
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Is this the same story that was posted earlier, or did they actually officially make the offer to Colorado?

Girevik
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I'd make that deal in a heartbeat, but I'd be surprised if it was accepted.

I'm also curious as to whether this was an actual offer or just a rumor.

texasdave
07-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Trade news with Walt as GM - ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz.

bounty37h
07-19-2011, 10:43 AM
You are dreaming, there is no way they would accept that. They hold all they keys, they don't have to deal him, there is no reason to deal him. Trust me it will take to A+ and a couple of minor leagues to pry him away from the rockies.

I agree I am not sure that will get it done, but I wouldnt say they have the keys either, I would offer that as my best offer and if they turn it down, wish em luck and move on.

Pete4prez
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Acoording to John Heyman of SI ... The Reds are rumoured to have offerd Alonso, Wood, and Volquez to Rockies for Jimenez... Thoughts believe there is any truth ??

I would do this trade, we will not miss Alonzo because we have Votto,Jimenez will take the place of Volquez and Wood will never be a stopper, in fact I will take it a step further and say Wood will be a non-factor.
Obtain Jimenez for three playrs who are not going to spend a lot of time on our roster? I say yes.

tobttr
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Trade news with Walt as GM - ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz.

In a very winnable division this year, our Reds seem to have taken the stance that we will play out the season with the people we have.
Like just about every other Reds fan on the planet, I would love to see this team get a run producer or a top-drawer SP, but I just get the feeling that one or the other of these will occur immediately after the etenal abyss drops below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't think he's dreaming. That offer is more than fair. If the Rockies disagree then move on to the next potential deal.

I agree.

But what is funny is that the Rockies will demand a Herschel Walker deal, and most teams will move on and pull out of trying to get Jimenez. And then we'll hear how some team hung around and got Jimenez for a couple of top prospects.

Happens all the time. I see other teams acquire quality players for alot less than I thought they could. And scratch my head thinking, the Reds would have offered atleast that.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
If you are the Rockies why would you accept what the offer stated here is? You are not in a "need" to trade situation, so if the Reds or anyone else want this guy they are going to have to pay and pay big.

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
If you are the Rockies why would you accept what the offer stated here is? You are not in a "need" to trade situation, so if the Reds or anyone else want this guy they are going to have to pay and pay big.

Why is he even on the trading block then?

They said on a national sports radio show (not local) that the Rockies have 2 issues......

1. They have other areas of need.
2. Their payroll is at it's second highest ever and going to go beyond what they want to spend next year. They need to get younger with minimum contracts, is the point.

If they can replace Jimenez with 2 decent starters - Wood and Volquez (both have enough major league experience) and gain a future first round talent first baseman...........

They get cheaper and replace one major leaguer with 3 major leaguers.

That's why they consider doing it.

Wood and Volquez have both had their moments. Volquez is coming off TJ surgery and maybe just needs more time. Alonso has nothing left to prove in triple A.

bounty37h
07-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Your right, but its no different then us trying to get him, we dont need him and dont have to make a better offer (and shoudnt offer more then that for him). Its a 2 way street we can both decide not to go down, niether team has the upperhand though on this one though as its not a need for us.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Why is he even on the trading block then?

They said on a national sports radio show (not local) that the Rockies have 2 issues......

1. They have other areas of need.
2. Their payroll is at it's second highest ever and going to go beyond what they want to spend next year. They need to get younger with minimum contracts, is the point.

If they can replace Jimenez with 2 decent starters - Wood and Volquez (both have enough major league experience) and gain a future first round talent first baseman...........

They get cheaper and replace one major leaguer with 3 major leaguers.

That's why they consider doing it.

Wood and Volquez have both had their moments. Volquez is coming off TJ surgery and maybe just needs more time. Alonso has nothing left to prove in triple A.

According to whom? some radio station?

brm7675
07-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Your right, but its no different then us trying to get him, we dont need him and dont have to make a better offer (and shoudnt offer more then that for him). Its a 2 way street we can both decide not to go down, niether team has the upperhand though on this one though as its not a need for us.

Not according to Walt, he is wanting to address our "pitching" issues, and many here believe "pitching" is the main reason we are where we are...:laugh:

swaisuc
07-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I like Bailey and Stubbs, but do you actually realize the difference between Cueto/Bruce and Bailey/Stubbs?I wouldn't trade Cueto for Jimenez straight up. He's younger, signed longer and to an affordable contract, and currently pitching much better.

That said, I'd take Jimenez for EV, Alonso, Wood...even throw in Francisco if you want.

That is exactly what I was getting ready to post. A tier does not exist that includes Cueto/Bruce as well as Stubbs/Homer. I would easily give both Stubbs AND Homer together before I considered dealing one of the other 2.

I may be falling victim to the silliness of the deadline, but I think this is a deal that can happen. Nobody says stuff like "available for a Walker type deal" unless a guy is on the block. EVERYONE is available for a huge overpay, so there is no need to say so. He's just trying to bump up the price tag while letting teams know he's available. The Reds have multiple young pitchers and a young 1B that the Rockies could use badly.

Totally baseless, but IF we did include one of our outfielders in this deal, I wouldn't be surprised to end up with Dexter Fowler coming back as well.

Something like Stubbs/Alonso/Leake (or Wood) for Jiminez/Fowler would be a huge trade. If its an option though, I'd rather just trade Alonso/Wood/EV for Jiminez. EV really isn't worth a ton to me.

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I read the following trade on another Reds site.

Bruce/Francisco to Houston for Hunter Pence. Houston needs a future third baseman. Chris Johnson isn't cutting it for them at third. They fill 2 needs and the Reds fill the leadoff hitter need.

mu4103
07-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Really, I think the Red's missed their chance. They needed to make a move a couple of weeks ago. 5 games behind the Pirates having to leapfrog the Brewers and Cards would surprise me. The Cardinals are not going to stand still. Fourth place in the weakest division is not good. I think a blockbuster trade is pointless now and they don't really need more washed up veterans.

I think the FO has really screwed up this season. Complacency set in after winning the division. It's not too late to change, but Dusty and Walt have shown no signs of it.

50YrRedsFan
07-20-2011, 03:31 AM
The Giants traded and got Jeff Keppinger from Houston for two unknown (unknown to me, anyway) minor leaguers. I would have gladly taken Keppinger back and DFA'd Renteria.
Keppinger is hitting over .300 again. Why couldn't our mgmt do something like that?

BPhil4
07-20-2011, 06:37 AM
“@Buster_ESPN: Among the pitchers that the Reds are targeting: TB's James Shields. This could be why TB scouts evaluating CIN minor leaguers this week.”

Girevik
07-20-2011, 08:25 AM
I Houston needs a future third baseman.

So do the Reds.

Hillsdale87
07-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I read the following trade on another Reds site.

Bruce/Francisco to Houston for Hunter Pence. Houston needs a future third baseman. Chris Johnson isn't cutting it for them at third. They fill 2 needs and the Reds fill the leadoff hitter need.

Pence isn't really a leadoff hitter. His OBP last year was .325, lower than Stubbs. Bruce has better offensive numbers, and is a much better fielder. Plus, as much as I like Pence, Bruce has far more upside. This would be an awful trade

bounty37h
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
So do the Reds.

We need a current one too.

texasdave
07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Really, I think the Reds missed their chance. They needed to make a move a couple of weeks ago. 5 games behind the Pirates having to leapfrog the Brewers and Cards would surprise me. The Cardinals are not going to stand still. Fourth place in the weakest division is not good. I think a blockbuster trade is pointless now and they don't really need more washed up veterans.

I think the FO has really screwed up this season. Complacency set in after winning the division. It's not too late to change, but Dusty and Walt have shown no signs of it.

Glaciers move faster than Jocketty. Look how long it took to get Cozart up here when that was pretty obvious to everyone.

texasdave
07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Astros general manager Ed Wade has made it clear he'd be willing to entertain trade discussions with anybody and everybodyRead more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/07/21/astros.hunter.pence.trade.morning.jolt/index.html#ixzz1Sl0DDysv

I guess that means inside the division.

vottofan4life
07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/07/21/astros.hunter.pence.trade.morning.jolt/index.html#ixzz1Sl0DDysv

I guess that means inside the division.

I give up Stubbs, Travis Wood, Yasmani Grandal, Yonder Alonso, and two lower level prospects like JC Sulbaran and Yorman or Neftali Soto for Pence and Wandy

Krawhitham
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Maybe we can give Renteria to Arizona for a bag of balls

Stephen Drew is out for the season

Grande Donkey
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
I give up Stubbs, Travis Wood, Yasmani Grandal, Yonder Alonso, and two lower level prospects like JC Sulbaran and Yorman or Neftali Soto for Pence and Wandy

The Astros have no need for Alonso since they have Wallace at 1B.

vottofan4life
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
The Astros have no need for Alonso since they have Wallace at 1B.

Thats why Alonso has been in left field this year.

bshall2105
07-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Thats why Alonso has been in left field this year.

I don't think anybody will trade for Alonso to be their LF of the future. He will be targeted as a 1b or DH.

Red Raindog
07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Glaciers move faster than Jocketty. Look how long it took to get Cozart up here when that was pretty obvious to everyone.

I think everyone has missed the typo -- his name is W A I T Jocketty --- not W A L T

Red Raindog
07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
ESPN Insider is reporting that the Reds are looking at Figgins --- was posted at 1:10 PM today --

bottomfeeding -- can't call it anything else IMHO

texasdave
07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
ESPN Insider is reporting that the Reds are looking at Figgins --- was posted at 1:10 PM today --

bottomfeeding -- can't call it anything else IMHO

I just read where the Seattle Mariners have an historically bad offense. Figures Walt would target one of their hitters.

Red Raindog
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
I just read where the Seattle Mariners have an historically bad offense. Figures Walt would target one of their hitters.

wow -- they've scored 314 runs -- are hitting .223 (with a DH!)

205 runs behind 1st place Boston ---

31 runs behind 13th place Oakland

Redinlexington
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
I really hope that Figgins isn't on the Reds radar. I would rather not make a trade then go after him. A lead off hitter that doesn't get on base isn't any better then Stubbs...

abish1572
07-22-2011, 11:33 AM
I'll pass... ubaldo had one great year and everyone riding him hard.

texasdave
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
It's been said Seattle was showcasing Chone Figgins in the outfield possibly for the Reds. But what's to showcase? One look at the stat sheet should be enough, as he's hitting just .182.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/07/22/around.the.majors/index.html#ixzz1SsQ1F24V

Book it, Danno. This will eventually rank right up there with the Willie Bloomquist acquisition.

brm7675
07-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/07/22/around.the.majors/index.html#ixzz1SsQ1F24V

Book it, Danno. This will eventually rank right up there with the Willie Bloomquist acquisition.

If Walt adds any outfield outside of Pence, he should be fired.

redsfanmia
07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/07/22/around.the.majors/index.html#ixzz1SsQ1F24V

What was wrong with the Bloomquist acquisition? All he did was bust his tail filling in. I wish the Reds still had him.

mr. red
07-22-2011, 07:06 PM
What was wrong with the Bloomquist acquisition? All he did was bust his tail filling in. I wish the Reds still had him.

Yeah, it is a shame we didn't re-sign him. I wish we had Willy and not Lewis/Gomes/Renteria...

redram
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
How about we Trade Dusty for a bag of Chips and a Pepsi. I would say Coke but that may be asking to much.

texasdave
07-23-2011, 12:01 PM
•The Reds "have nibbled" on Beltran according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter), but they are hesitant to give up good prospects or take on so much money for a rental.

Did you ever play pickle when you were young and there was one kid who never got off the base, who never got into a pickle unless the ball was thrown three houses down? That kid was Walt Jocketty.

texasdave
07-23-2011, 12:13 PM
•The Reds "have nibbled" on Beltran according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter), but they are hesitant to give up good prospects or take on so much money for a rental.

Did you ever play pickle when you were young and there was one kid who never got off the base, who never got into a pickle unless the ball was thrown three houses down? That kid was Walt Jocketty.

Don't want to give up good prospects? Don't want to spend any money? Hello, Chone Figgins. :lol:

double2gap
07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
FWIW guys, last night at the Bats game there was a Blue Jays scout looking hard at Volquez. He didn't seem that interested in the opposing team, Charlotte (White Sox). I know there are several scouts at games every night, but this one seemed very focused on Volquez as opposed to checking everybody out. Don't know if anybody has heard anything about a possibilty trade partner with Toronto.

abish1572
07-23-2011, 12:47 PM
How about we Trade Dusty for a bag of Chips and a Pepsi. I would say Coke but that may be asking to much.

Naw, we wouldn't be able to afford it

FWIW guys, last night at the Bats game there was a Blue Jays scout looking hard at Volquez. He didn't seem that interested in the opposing team, Charlotte (White Sox). I know there are several scouts at games every night, but this one seemed very focused on Volquez as opposed to checking everybody out. Don't know if anybody has heard anything about a possibilty trade partner with Toronto.

Why would ANY team be interested in volquez? Until he can regain what he had in 08, he won't ever be a quality pitcher.

LeDoux
07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi guys! I'm available once again for your deadline needs.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQjg7bCCw5oxvJFDc3NfTxzqJR22dTJ 5kICRknocxtPF3-dXLhvw

texasdave
07-23-2011, 10:06 PM
•Reds' Triple-A catcher Devin Mesoraco is "all but untouchable," but that doesn't guarantee the Reds will deal Ramon Hernandez and use Mesoraco down the stretch. They've yet to receive an offer they like for the veteran Hernandez, and some within the organization are reluctant to hand make a pennant run with a rookie backstop.

texasdave
07-26-2011, 12:19 AM
The Reds won't part with Devin Mesoraco, Billy Hamilton and two other prospects for Jimenez, Gammons notes.
•The Rockies' asking price on Jimenez hasn't changed, according to Renck (on Twitter).
•The Rockies "haven't pulled Jimenez off the showroom floor," wrote Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post yesterday. The Reds, Yankees, Rangers, and Red Sox are suitors, though Renck says Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd has "talked up nearly everyone."
•Morosi notes that the Reds are still involved, but there might not be a favorite at this point.

BeeryLarkin
07-26-2011, 03:03 AM
First post! And with it, I will add:

WE NEED A BAT!!!

LeDoux
07-26-2011, 03:19 AM
First post! And with it, I will add:

WE NEED A BAT!!!

Welcome. And I agree.

Vottomatic
07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Rockies want Mesoraco and Hamilton, along with 2 others?

Forgetaboutit.

Maybe if they throw in Tulowitzki, to go with Jimenez. :D

SwingKing01
07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
I would faint if we got Tulu and Jimenez!!!! How awesome would that be? Walt get this done!!! Haha

dcameron24
07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Apparently a local newspaper in Denver is reporting the Rockies asked for Chapman, Mesoraco and Heisey for Jimenez.

Umm... no thanks.

izzy's dad
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Apparently a local newspaper in Denver is reporting the Rockies asked for Chapman, Mesoraco and Heisey for Jimenez.

Umm... no thanks.

No way do I do that deal. Two untouchables in Chapman and Mesoraco. I know this is a bold statement, but I believe Mesoraco is Mike Piazza with better defense and a little less power. I have seen this dude play in person on several occasions, he has the goods. I am not a scout by any means, but I have a feeling that this guy is a middle of the order hitting catcher with good defense. I will pass on any deal that includes Mesoraco. Grab a middle of the rotation starter to strengthen the back end of the rotation, trade for a bat that won't cost an arm and a leg (Carlos Quentin), trade Hernandez for what you can get while his value is high, call up Devin Mesoraco. In my opinion Chapman, Mesorao, and Heisey gets you more than Ubaldo. I think Walt will suprise us, but I hope not with a deal like this. Yuk!

dcameron24
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I thought this was an interesting quote in a article from Joel Sherman of the New York Post which also mentions the Reds being very serious about BJ Upton even though the Rays are "asking for a ton".

Word is that Reds ownership is putting pressure on Walt Jocketty to make a splash in this trade market, which is why Cincinnati has been viewed as the team pushing the most for Tampa Bay's James Shields and Colorado's Ubaldo Jimenez, though the expectation remains that neither will be dealt.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/rays_await_major_bids_for_upton_sKikvhD6hJGkdoh7YU ycpJ#ixzz1TECyaYgk

SidneySlicker
07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think anyone wants to get fleeced and that is why you are seeing these huge demands. Either teams wwill backoff to reasonable terms or the
Reds will look elsewhere I would imagine. I just don't see it happening.

Krawhitham
07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I thought this was an interesting quote in a article from Joel Sherman of the New York Post which also mentions the Reds being very serious about BJ Upton even though the Rays are "asking for a ton".

Word is that Reds ownership is putting pressure on Walt Jocketty to make a splash in this trade market, which is why Cincinnati has been viewed as the team pushing the most for Tampa Bay's James Shields and Colorado's Ubaldo Jimenez, though the expectation remains that neither will be dealt.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/rays_await_major_bids_for_upton_sKikvhD6hJGkdoh7YU ycpJ#ixzz1TECyaYgk

well I would pass on Jimenez

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported that the Rockies have asked for Devin Mesoraco and Aroldis Chapman in exchange for Ubaldo Jimenez. That gives you some insight into how high the price would be for Jimenez.

Redinlexington
07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
What is Chapman's salary? If we don't think he is going to be a starter sometime soon, then I consider this move.

Vottomatic
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Umm... no thanks.

That's ridiculous.

Mesoraco is Ramon Hernandez's replacement next year.
Heisey is a key part of the current Reds team and so is Chapman.

Obtaining Jimenez but losing Chapman, Mesoraco, and Heisey makes this Reds team weaker, not stronger. Totally stupid of the Rockies to ask the Reds to do that. They'd obtain 3 major league ready or already playing in the major leagues for 1 major leaguer.

1 Jimenez < Heisey, Chapman, Mesoraco

Girevik
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Agreed, that offer is crazy but I think it will come down by Saturday. Whether it will come down enough is the question.

I'm surprised Alonso isn't part of that offer though, considering the rumor is the main reason they'd trade Jimenez is to get Helton's replacement.

brm7675
07-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I would counter with Chapman, Heisey and our other catching prospect...

LeDoux
07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
I would counter by walking away.

wlf WV
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I would counter with Chapman, Heisey and our other catching prospect...

I agree.No way do I sell Volquez low either.There is a reason a lot of teams are scouting him,he can still become a TOR.He's not that far removed from TJ surgery.I would trade a prospect or two for a former 17 game winner at his age.Don't let the Cards get him.

Vottomatic
07-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Geez, is it always like this at the trading deadline?

It seems in past years, a team would give up a couple of good prospects for a Sabathia or other deadline player. Now it seems like everyone wants the world.

I think part of the problem is that so many bad contracts have been made in the past 5 years, and alot of teams want to unload those contracts, but the player isn't exactly having a good year.

Or if that player is having a good year, they are a rental at best, such as Beltran.

I see some interesting names floating around, but the asking price is ridiculous. Other teams want you to gut your farm system.

Girevik
07-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I think there are 2 reasons for the lack of trades this year:

1. There just aren't that many top-tier guys in their contract year.
2. So many teams still feel they are in the race they don't want to be sellers yet.

We may actually see more activity around the waiver deadline.

R_Webb18
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I think there are 2 reasons for the lack of trades this year:

1. There just aren't that many top-tier guys in their contract year.
2. So many teams still feel they are in the race they don't want to be sellers yet.

We may actually see more activity around the waiver deadline.

i think its also every1 thinks they can get that 1 big player. for example if pence or beltron get traded then im guessing ppl will just go to plan b and c.

Krawhitham
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Jeff Wilpon (COO of the New York Mets) will be at tonight's game

Red in Atl
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I think we should all just relax. There's nothing out there that's going to make this team a World Series Champ. We have too many holes.

Last year was an abberation. We over produced and won and it was great. This year we fell back to earth. I don't see that shipping out guys other than Gomes and Hernandez for some kids makes any sense.

The timing is just bad for us this year. But think about giving Walt an entire offseason to either come up with a true Sloberknocker, or a big FA signing, especially after Coco's contract is off the books, and Gomes and Hernandez as well.

The main thing that has to happen is to sign BP to another contract. Lock him up. He's the real deal and has proven it this year. Then we need a full time LF'er. I think Cozart could be the guy at SS until Billy Hamilton is ready. That leaves us with the need for a TOR guy and our next 3rd baseman.

Why clean out the closet this year so we get swept in the playoffs when we could use the offseason to clean some money off the books, really make a play for a bat and an arm and let all the kids season one more year?

dcameron24
07-27-2011, 09:57 AM
I've started to wonder if the reason the Reds are pushing so hard for a starter is because they want to keep Chapman in the pen. After Cordero leaves they'll use Chapman as the closer and Ondrusek/Masset as the setup men with Boxberger becoming a factor also.

If we acquired Jimenez (depending on what we give up) the staff would be something like:

Cueto
Jimenez
Volquez/Bailey/Wood/Willis
Leake
Arroyo
LeCure
Bray
Arredondo
Boxberger
Masset
Ondrusek
Chapman

With Horst, Maloney, Burton, Smith, etc competing for the final bullpen spot.

Honestly, I don't know if I would have a problem with a staff like that...

R_Webb18
07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
ever since chapman has come back he has thrown strikes. it would be gross to get 7 innings out of that.

Jefferson24
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM
ever since chapman has come back he has thrown strikes. it would be gross to get 7 innings out of that.

Not sure he can stay focused enough to continue throwing strikes during a prolonged outing. That is the big question at this point. In my opinion this season is toast, so why not start trying to find out answers to some of those questions. Another question that needs answered is can Alonso play left at the major league level...well lets find out.

Girevik
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Another question that needs answered is can Alonso play left at the major league level...well lets find out.

I think that's exactly why Gomes was traded.

Jefferson24
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
I think that's exactly why Gomes was traded.

I hope you are right, lets see if Dusty will actually give him the majority of playing time.

Girevik
07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I hope you are right, lets see if Dusty will actually give him the majority of playing time.

My guess is we'll see a Heisey / Alonso platoon. I'm wondering where they'll hit him. I can't imagine they'll throw him into the cleanup role.

drowg14
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
My guess is we'll see a Heisey / Alonso platoon. I'm wondering where they'll hit him. I can't imagine they'll throw him into the cleanup role.

He is a lefty, so I would highly doubt it would be Votto, Alonso, Bruce. My guess is the 7 spot. Keep the L/R/L/R for more of the order.

HalMorrisRules
07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Jayson Stark just posted this about Ubaldo:

But an official of one other club believes "the team [the Rockies] really want to do this deal with is Cincinnati, because they've got the young starting pitching to give back. So I think that's where this is going."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings110727/colorado-rockies-shopping-ace-ubaldojimenez

keeganbrick
07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Oakland called up their minor league outfielder that is supposed to replace Crisp. Could be on his way to one of the teams in Ohio.

bshall2105
07-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Oakland called up their minor league outfielder that is supposed to replace Crisp. Could be on his way to one of the teams in Ohio.

Is this your speculation?

keeganbrick
07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Is this your speculation?

It was just on MLB network. Said most likely a precursor to a trade and mist likely places for him to go are Cincy and Cle.

redsman
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal Source: Rockies do not require Reds untouchables Mesoraco, Hamilton in trade for Jimenez. Would need other big pieces, though.

Fullboat
07-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Is nobody spooked on how hard the Rockies are trying to unload a good pitcher with 2 years
left on his existing contract?

fewfirstchoice
07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I would offer this to the Rockies

Wood/Leake, Heisey, Grandal/Frazier, and Boxberger
For
UJ

If they except fine, if not their bad.

Krawhitham
07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Giants get Beltran for Zach Wheeler, if Beltran approves he has 24 hrs to decide

Fullboat
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Giants get Beltran for Zach Wheeler, if Beltran approves he has 24 hrs to decide

Beltran should just stay in Cincy since the Giants come in next.

Girevik
07-27-2011, 03:30 PM
At least that means he should not be in the lineup tonight.

Redinlexington
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
If I am the Reds, and the Rockies don't require Mesoraco, Hamilton, or Chapman I make the deal. Jimenez has more talent, upside then Wood, Leake, even Bailey. He is locked up for 2 more years at a respectable price, has won 19 games in a season in the big leagues, and brings a true #1 to a staff that is starved for it. You don't pass at the chance to get a #1, ask, the Phillies with Lee and Halladay, ask the Yankess about CC, ask the Bo Sox about Beckett, Schilling, etc. When your window is the next 2-3 years you go for it. This team is going to be good and could be great with a few additions, and this would be one of them if you can keep Mesoraco, Chapman, etc. You have to think in terms of this year and next with Jimenez. I take the gamble.

Red Rover
07-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I can see a Jimenez for Stubbs, Wood & Soto deal or maybe Heisey, Bailey & Soto.

Krawhitham
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: #Reds targeting Shields over Jimenez. #tradedeadline #MLB

abish1572
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
shields aint even on the market...

mroby85
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Ken_RosenthalKen Rosenthal

Source: #Reds targeting Shields over Jimenez. #tradedeadline #MLB

n/m didn't already see this posted, lol.

Jefferson24
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM

unless something has changed....this time of year things change in a flash.

kg112686
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/reds-targeting-shields-over-jimenez.html

By Tim Dierkes [July 27 at 2:47pm CST]
The Reds are targeting James Shields over Ubaldo Jimenez, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Rosenthal says it's still unlikely the Rays trade Shields, "but the Reds are deep enough in prospects that they at least stand a chance."

abish1572
07-27-2011, 03:51 PM

unless something has changed....this time of year things change in a flash.

The GM has already said Shields is untouchable

Every team believes Ubaldo is going to cincy...

who knows maybe walt might make both deals happen

wouldnt it be crazy to have shields plus ubaldo(The yeah he had last year not the one hes having this year)

Shields
Jiminez
Cueto
Arroyo
Willis

that would be a heck of a rotation

partisan
07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd say landing both Shields and Ubaldo would definitely be 'making a splash'

abish1572
07-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I'd say landing both Shields and Ubaldo would definitely be 'making a splash'

we have the prospects to do it...

Fullboat
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Those deals would clean us up though.

kg112686
07-27-2011, 04:02 PM

i really hope you aren't being serious...yea we have the prospects to do it...and set the organization back at least 7 years by decimating our farm system

abish1572
07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
i really hope you aren't being serious...yea we have the prospects to do it...and set the organization back at least 7 years by decimating our farm system

lol we ain't using them anyways... unless we get rid of votto which i highly doubt it then where does that leave alonso? we're pretty tight for atleast 5 years which is enough time to get new prospects.

Fullboat
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Those deals would clean us up though.

LeDoux
07-27-2011, 04:45 PM
The longer this process goes on, the more it looks like the Rockies are trying to dump Jimenez for whatever reason. Buyer beware.

bigredmechanism
07-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Nationals continuing to target #Twins' Span. Nats' Storen may be in play. #tradedeadline #MLB

What are they thinking?

malcontent
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
It was just on MLB network. Said most likely a precursor to a trade and mist likely places for him to go are Cincy and Cle.
God. Please. Let it be Cleveland.

Crisp has always been overrated.

partisan
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
God. Please. Let it be Cleveland.

Crisp has always been overrated.

This. 100x

I honestly don't see what role Crisp would have on this team.

bshall2105
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
This. 100x

I honestly don't see what role Crisp would have on this team.

I agree

Would anybody take Crisp over Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Alonso or Lewis?

I wouldn't

Krawhitham
07-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Shields got rocked tonight by the A's

4.0 IN
12 H
10 R
10 ER
2 HR
2 BB
2 SO

partisan
07-27-2011, 11:36 PM

4.0 IN
12 H
10 R
10 ER
2 HR
2 BB
2 SO

That's a rough line.

mroby85
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Reported that #Reds' top target was #Rays' Shields. Price may be scaring Reds off. No CIN scouts on Shields tonight. #tradedeadline #
Ken Rosenthal

bshall2105
07-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Reported that #Reds' top target was #Rays' Shields. Price may be scaring Reds off. No CIN scouts on Shields tonight. #tradedeadline #
Ken Rosenthal

They would have been scared off after watching his performance tonight

dcameron24
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM

4.0 IN
12 H
10 R
10 ER
2 HR
2 BB
2 SO

I know it's only one game, but I pointed out in another thread that Shields peripheral stats (BABIP, HR/9, GB%, etc.) didn't match up to the performance he had been putting out. I didn't think it would be a good idea to make a move for him, because he would eventually come back to Earth and pitch to his career norms.

I figured it was only a matter of time before he started to trend backwards, but I didn't expect it to be that bad. :eek:

bounty37h
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
If I am the Reds, and the Rockies don't require Mesoraco, Hamilton, or Chapman I make the deal. Jimenez has more talent, upside then Wood, Leake, even Bailey. He is locked up for 2 more years at a respectable price, has won 19 games in a season in the big leagues, and brings a true #1 to a staff that is starved for it. You don't pass at the chance to get a #1, ask, the Phillies with Lee and Halladay, ask the Yankess about CC, ask the Bo Sox about Beckett, Schilling, etc. When your window is the next 2-3 years you go for it. This team is going to be good and could be great with a few additions, and this would be one of them if you can keep Mesoraco, Chapman, etc. You have to think in terms of this year and next with Jimenez. I take the gamble.

Can you show why you think that, personally I think he has caught his nut already and will only decline, reached his max last year and everyone jumped on his wagon. Wood and Leake have a ton more upside still IMO-that doesnt mean will pan out of course.

FireDusty
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I know it's only one game, but I pointed out in another thread that Shields peripheral stats (BABIP, HR/9, GB%, etc.) didn't match up to the performance he had been putting out. I didn't think it would be a good idea to make a move for him, because he would eventually come back to Earth and pitch to his career norms.

I figured it was only a matter of time before he started to trend backwards, but I didn't expect it to be that bad. :eek:

Agree.

He is Milt Pappas.

R_Webb18
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM

or he figurd it out?

mroby85
07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Call me crazy, but I would prefer a guy to have a start like that, bringing his numbers back to norms. Who cares if a guy has one terrible start, and is awesome the rest of the year. That is much more effective than giving up 4-5 runs a game consistently.

dcameron24
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/jimenez_talks_simmer/5767402

Sources close to the involved teams have indicated the Rockies have interest in a package of catcher Jesus Montero, and pitchers Manuel Banuelos and Dellin Betances from the Yankees, and catcher Devon Mesoraco, and pitchers Travis Wood and Homer Bailey. Word out of Cincinnati is the Reds proposed Aroldis Chapman and Edinson Volquez along with Mesoraco.

Surely to god that's not true... :eek:

abish1572
07-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Sources close to the involved teams have indicated the Rockies have interest in a package of catcher Jesus Montero, and pitchers Manuel Banuelos and Dellin Betances from the Yankees, and catcher Devon Mesoraco, and pitchers Travis Wood and Homer Bailey. Word out of Cincinnati is the Reds proposed Aroldis Chapman and Edinson Volquez along with Mesoraco.

Yeah i heard it on tv, The front office is pressuring walt to get either James shield or Ubaldo Jiminez plus a big bat like BJ Upton or Hunter Pence(Since when did this dude become a big bat? :confused: )

Red Raindog
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM

no -- cannot believe that one

abish1572
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
A source told MLB.com that the Reds have balked at the Rockies' high asking price for ace starter Ubaldo Jimenez, which included pitchers Travis Wood and Homer Bailey and either lefty Aroldis Chapman or catching prospect Devin Mesoraco. The belief is the Reds have moved on to Rays starter James Shields, who endured a rocky start Wednesday night -- allowing 10 earned runs on 12 hits in four innings to take a loss against the Athletics.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110728&content_id=22417074&notebook_id=22418200&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

wow

Vottomatic
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Let's just sit pat until the offseason, and bring up the young guys. I'm alright with that.

The asking price is ridiculous for alot of these guys.

We will have guys leave in free agency freeing up money, and we have guys due some raises. Let's see if Pujols resigns with the Cards, and see what moves other teams make. Then let's make our own key moves this upcoming offseason.

bounty37h
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Lookey here, I will sell you this nickel for only a quarter.

LexRedsFan
07-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Please don't trade Chapman. He and Mes should be untouchable.

CrosleyField
07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Let's just sit pat until the offseason, and bring up the young guys. I'm alright with that.

The asking price is ridiculous for alot of these guys.

We will have guys leave in free agency freeing up money, and we have guys due some raises. Let's see if Pujols resigns with the Cards, and see what moves other teams make. Then let's make our own key moves this upcoming offseason.

Agreed

brm7675
07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Please don't trade Chapman. He and Mes should be untouchable.

No one should be untouchable, for the right return you should always be looking at upgrading your team.

bshall2105
07-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Jimenez would be in Cincinnati right now if that was true.

Red Raindog
07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Jimenez would be in Cincinnati right now if that was true.

you have a point

LexRedsFan
07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
No one should be untouchable, for the right return you should always be looking at upgrading your team.

You are correct. I meant for a return of Jiminez. My apologies.

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Another holdup in #Astros' Pence talks with #Phillies: Astros also trying to move Bourn, Wandy, B. Myers. #tradedeadline #MLGB

dcameron24
07-29-2011, 01:53 PM
From MLBTradeRumors:

FRIDAY: The Reds are “strongly mulling a sell-a-thon,” according to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark.

He says that rival clubs that have talked to them say they were/are super discouraged by the Mets sweep.

Makes sense but not sure what a "sell-a-thon" would entail...

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
From MLBTradeRumors:

FRIDAY: The Reds are “strongly mulling a sell-a-thon,” according to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark.

He says that rival clubs that have talked to them say they were/are super discouraged by the Mets sweep.

i want them to make moves but i don't want them to do anyting stupid.

Girevik
07-29-2011, 01:59 PM

So are the fans!

I'm okay with unloading as long as it doesn't include guys who figure to be peices next year. It would be really nice if they could get something that would help in the next year or two as well.

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 02:02 PM
So are the fans!

I'm okay with unloading as long as it doesn't include guys who figure to be peices next year. It would be really nice if they could get something that would help in the next year or two as well.

don't worry about. no chance they rent some1

Girevik
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm not worried about that so much as either giving up a guy that looks to contribute next year for a prospect, or getting prospects that are so far away from being big-league ready that by the time the see Cincy the current core of players they have is gone and the playoff window is closed.

Newman4
07-29-2011, 03:18 PM
From MLBTradeRumors:

My guess is that the Reds are trading Hernandez and Cordero. Stark using "Sell-a-thon" for dramatic value.

mroby85
07-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Buster_ESPNBuster Olney
Rival executive: Reds focused on Michael Bourn, who would answer their desire to add a lead-off hitter for 2011 and beyond

SI Heyman says Reds not in on Pence whose asking price is even steeper.

Girevik
07-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Buster_ESPNBuster Olney
Rival executive: Reds focused on Michael Bourn, who would answer their desire to add a lead-off hitter for 2011 and beyond

SI Heyman says Reds not in on Pence whose asking price is even steeper.

I think that is a sell-a-thon. Who else do the Reds have that is in a walk year with value?

I guess I'd be okay with Bourn as long as they didn't give up much, but with all the other names thrown around, I'd be kind of dissapointed if that's all they got. If that's the name, then LF is going to be AWFULL crowded.

mroby85
07-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I think that is a sell-a-thon. Who else do the Reds have that is in a walk year with value?

I guess I'd be okay with Bourn as long as they didn't give up much, but with all the other names thrown around, I'd be kind of dissapointed if that's all they got. If that's the name, then LF is going to be AWFULL crowded.

The way they talk Houston is asking a very high price for Bourn, so I doubt he will be traded for a little bit of nothing. He has been a solid player the last few years, but definitely not someone you break the bank for imo. I want to see them go after Pence.

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 08:49 PM
The way they talk Houston is asking a very high price for Bourn, so I doubt he will be traded for a little bit of nothing. He has been a solid player the last few years, but definitely not someone you break the bank for imo. I want to see them go after Pence.

i like pence also but my feeling is phillies are going all out

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Ken_RosenthalKen Rosenthal
Sources: #Phillies close to acquiring #Astros' Pence. Deal expected to be completed tonight. #tradedeadline #MLB

rolenmvp
07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
according to buster olney on ESPN talking 4 team trade. ## Reds and giants and rays and rockies. per olney jocketty going all out on this one. ##

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
according to buster olney on ESPN talking 4 team trade. ## Reds and giants and rays and rockies. per olney jocketty going all out on this one. ##

where u see this?

mroby85
07-29-2011, 09:12 PM
where u see this?

No offense but this guy has been posting a lot of inaccurate stuff today lol. Olney's twitter says nothing about this, unless he said it on tv and not twitter, but I doubt that.

Girevik
07-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Hmmm....Rays and Rockies. Is he going to land Shields and Jimenez??

Probably not, but wouldn't THAT be interesting?

rolenmvp
07-29-2011, 09:24 PM
inaccurate stuff?? I just got on the computer tonight. apparently you got me mixed up with somebody else.

R_Webb18
07-29-2011, 09:27 PM
inaccurate stuff?? I just got on the computer tonight. apparently you got me mixed up with somebody else.

did u hear this on tv?

rolenmvp
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
it was on ESPN insider. it was just a rumor that's all. btw Pence officially removed from the game and seen hugging teammates. He gone.

Girevik
07-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Dang...he's the one bat that I really would have liked to see the Reds land.

bshall2105
07-29-2011, 09:31 PM

He's talking about the guy that reported it. The info you posted did not come from Buster Olney it came from the guy that said Joe Morgan would be the Reds manager today

rolenmvp
07-29-2011, 09:31 PM
oh my bad, I did't catch that sorry. been a long day at work. I work 16 hours today. really my fault.

malcontent
07-30-2011, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Hernandez moved for Surkamp.

And Stubbs, Alonso and change for Rodriguez and Bourn.

Newman4
07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Dang...he's the one bat that I really would have liked to see the Reds land.
I saw somewhere that the Astros were looking for lower level high end prospects. Seems like a risky venture especially with the fan base who probably expect immediate results after trading their all star. Good trade for the phillies.

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
The Tigers are making progress on a deal for Mariners righty Doug Fister, tweets ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, with hopes of getting something done today.

Fister, 27, has a 3.33 ERA, 5.5 K/9, 2.0 BB/9, 0.43 HR/9, and 46.4% groundball rate in 146 inning this year. He's under team control through 2015 and won't be arbitration eligible until after next season.

Could be a good get for the Tigers. They also called up top pitching prospect Jacob Turner which makes it seem like they traded someone on their ML roster...

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 11:17 AM
10:09am: The Tigers will receive Fister and Pauley for Furbush, outfielder Casper Wells, and more, tweets Knobler.

rolenmvp
07-30-2011, 11:20 AM
##per Ken rosenthal the bj upton and reds rumors are heating up.##

Grande Donkey
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Where did you see this?

R_Webb18
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Where did you see this?

this

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Where did you see this?

I know MLB Network is basically doing 24/7 coverage the next 2 days. Maybe there? I don't see it anywhere on Twitter or Fox...

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 11:38 AM
The Brewers acquired infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. from the Nationals, tweets ESPN's Chris Singleton.

Redleg
07-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't see anything from Ken rosenthal but I think bj uptown will go on a tear with a new team

FireDusty
07-30-2011, 11:46 AM

That's what we need, another guy that strikes out 150 times.

Jeez......if Walt makes this move we have officially blown this unbelievable chance to cash in on a bumper crop of young players.

Unbelievably bad if this happens. I wouldn't trade my old gym shoes for BJ Upton.

rolenmvp
07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
it was on a thread in the mlbtraderumors page. somebody had posted it!

CRedsLarkin11
07-30-2011, 12:09 PM
That's what we need, another guy that strikes out 150 times.

Jeez......if Walt makes this move we have officially blown this unbelievable chance to cash in on a bumper crop of young players.

Unbelievably bad if this happens. I wouldn't trade my old gym shoes for BJ Upton.

I think BJ Upton brings some valuable assets to the table but I do have to admit that I am against it as well. Upton is exactly who I compare Drew Stubbs to. They both have terrible plate discipline, have a little pop, play good d and can run. An OF of Bruce, Stubbs and Upton is exciting when they are at their best or potential but will also bring miserable months of nothing. I guess it really depends on what they give up, there is no way I trade Mesoraco for him.

JuanFrancisco25
07-30-2011, 12:26 PM
NO!!!! if any one id rather have Bourn than Upton! good lord if we trade for B.J. Upton...

DocRed
07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
NO!!!! if any one id rather have Bourn than Upton! good lord if we trade for B.J. Upton...

I will take either and be very happy for it.

Stray
07-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't want Bourn or Upton if it is going to cost us Stubbs. If we're going to use Stubbs in a trade I'd rather do it in a package for a bigger upgrade, preferably pitching.

JuanFrancisco25
07-30-2011, 12:52 PM
I will take either and be very happy for it.

B.J. strikesout almost as much as Stubbs and has horrible plate discipline

mroby85
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe its just me, but I think BJ Upton is being really over-hyped in this trade market. His numbers aren't great at all, and he's been known to be an attitude issue. No thanks.

JuanFrancisco25
07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Maybe its just me, but I think BJ Upton is being really over-hyped in this trade market. His numbers aren't great at all, and he's been known to be an attitude issue. No thanks.

agreed!

malcontent
07-30-2011, 01:23 PM
It would have been nice to actually know what Stubbs could have done with a manager and coaches that held him to task about putting the ball in play by bunting more than once a month, not usually taking strike one, and protecting the plate with two strikes.

That said, there was a reason scouts said he'd never hit enough when he was drafted.

R_Webb18
07-30-2011, 01:43 PM
B.J. strikesout almost as much as Stubbs and has horrible plate discipline

alot yes stubbs level no

Vottomatic
07-30-2011, 02:18 PM
It just seems like the Reds are trying to make a move to appease the fans and act like they're "trying".

I don't like most of these moves.

Frankly, I'm hoping they surprise me with a good move out of left field that we haven't heard about yet. I'm hoping Walt has played this close to the vest and it is a quality shocker.

Redsfansince72
07-30-2011, 04:00 PM
It just seems like the Reds are trying to make a move to appease the fans and act like they're "trying".

I don't like most of these moves.

Frankly, I'm hoping they surprise me with a good move out of left field that we haven't heard about yet. I'm hoping Walt has played this close to the vest and it is a quality shocker.

Matt Kemp is who I would go after and that would be a huge pick up!! thats the surprise I am waiting to hear about!!

dcameron24
07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
The deal could happen tonight and may involve Triple-A first baseman Lars Anderson, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (on Twitter).

8:20pm: It looks as though the Red Sox are closing in on a deal for Rich Harden, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark on Twitter. The deal, which ESPN's Buster Olney and Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported on earlier today, is not done.

Joesh
07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
hearing #SFGiants may have interest in bourn as well. very popular player. #tradedeadline. #nats, #braves, #reds, #indians

Redsfansince72
07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
well another big bat isnt going anywhere.. if Walt isnt trading for Kemp (or his Cardinal fav Ludwick).. Reds fans will not see any move..:(

B.J. Upton Likely To Stay Put
By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 10:03am CST]

The latest on Rays center fielder B.J. Upton, who is hitting .226/.308/.398 on the season and is owed $1.59MM prior to his last arbitration year in 2012...

Upton appears likely to stay put, tweets SI's Jon Heyman.

Red Raindog
07-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Bourn has been traded to the Braves --- another fish out of the pond