PDA

View Full Version : Beltran for nearly free?

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...e=MLBHeadlines

NEW YORK -- There are no shortage of suitors for Carlos Beltran as the trade deadline approaches. And the New York Mets are demanding top-notch young talent in return for the outfielder because they are willing to cover his remaining salary, according to a major league source.

"From what I gather, they are asking a lot for him because they are willing to pick up all of his salary," the source told ESPNNewYork.com.

So? You don't have to pay his salary, so what would it take to get him?

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 08:01 AM
How much can the Mets really expect to get since Beltran is basically a rental (free agent next year)?

I read on The ORG that Beltran is OPSing over .900 against RH pitching.

If the Reds could get Beltran and Jimenez, I'd be encouraged. But as long as they don't overpay for either of them. Jimenez would give us two studs in the starting rotation (Cueto, Jimenez) and Beltran would give us a legit 4-hole hitter.

I really think these two moves would energize this team.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 11:12 AM
What purpose does it serve to get him? We won't keep him around after this season, his addition doesn't take this team from a non playoff team to a playoff team. So you are giving up players for basically saying you made a trade...sorry I pass....

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 11:19 AM
What purpose does it serve to get him? We won't keep him around after this season, his addition doesn't take this team from a non playoff team to a playoff team. So you are giving up players for basically saying you made a trade...sorry I pass....

It depends on what you give up.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
It depends on what you give up.

Unless they are non prospects (which I would doubt) it's just not worth it, again the purpose of a trade is to improve your team long term....

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Unless they are non prospects (which I would doubt) it's just not worth it, again the purpose of a trade is to improve your team long term....

Beltran is going to command alot on the free agent market. No team will be that stupid again.

On The ORG, most speculated you could get him for Travis Wood and that's it.

If you could sign him reasonably, I'd think about it.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Beltran is going to command alot on the free agent market. No team will be that stupid again.

On The ORG, most speculated you could get him for Travis Wood and that's it.

If you could sign him reasonably, I'd think about it.

No chance in hell I give up Travis Wood and no chance he signes for anything under 100 million.

Razzle
07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
No chance in hell I give up Travis Wood and no chance he signes for anything under 100 million.

Beltran will be 35 years old at the beginning of his next contract, is injury prone, and is now a corner outfielder. There is a zero percent chance he gets a 100 million dollar deal.

kg112686
07-19-2011, 12:41 PM

I don't see the Reds getting him but I also don't see how Beltran signs a $100 million contract. 34 year old (35 at he beginning of next year) injury prone outfielders don't get nine figure contracts. The only $100 million+ contracts I see this offseason are going to be Fielder, Pujols, Reyes, and Sabathia if he opts out of his current deal.

I could definitely see him getting maybe 4 years and $60-70 million not much more.

brm7675
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Lets remember this is baseball owners who are stupid and the choices for "hitters" this offseason will be thin and yes someone will way over pay (see Nationals and Werth guy).

bshall2105
07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Lets remember this is baseball owners who are stupid and the choices for "hitters" this offseason will be thin and yes someone will way over pay (see Nationals and Werth guy).

Werth was four years younger and had a much healthier last few years that what Beltran has had. The guy hasn't had over 310 at bats in the past two seasons. There is no way he will get more than a 2-3 year deal.

Krawhitham
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Beltran has a full no trade clause and has said no about the Reds, that is according to Ken Broo

Krawhitham
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM

not all trades

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Beltran won't get more than a 2 yr deal for like $20M total, at best. He ain't getting no $100M contract. That's ridiculous. 35 years old? Geez, the Cardinals were hung up on giving Pujols 7 years because of what age he'd be near the end of the contract.

Vottomatic
07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Interesting conversation on The ORG regarding Beltran:

Matt Holliday from OAK to STL in 2009, a "rental" trade:

July 24, 2009: Traded by the Oakland Athletics to the St. Louis Cardinals for Shane Peterson (minors), Clayton Mortensen and Brett Wallace.

That's 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. Peterson is a light hitting OFer (Sappelt), Mortenson is a reliever in Oakland (Boxberger), and Wallace is Houston's 1b (Alonso).

So Alonso, Sappelt and Boxberger for Beltran? - posted by MDCCCLXIX

Interesting comp but like corkedbat said Holliday was a potential keeper beyond that year (not to mention in his prime) which would make him more expensive at the time. Which is why I thru out that lesser package but perhaps that was a bit light.

I will pretend Reds44 is the Mets GM and take his refusal as an attempt to negotiate. My stance: Beltran is allegedly 34 years old, has played a half season or less in his previous 2 seasons, is a 2 month rental and has very good but not elite stats right now. In other words what I can reasonably expect going forward for these last 2 months?

The re-offer: Juan Francisco, Daryl Thompson, Carlos Fisher - posted by Mario-Rijo

You have to at least add a guy like Horst to that haul. - posted by edabbs44

I think Volquez and Francisco would get that deal done.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Beltran does not have Cincy on his list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to. He wants to stay on the East Coast - New York Yanks, Boston Red Sox, or Phillies.

brm7675
07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Beltran does not have Cincy on his list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to. He wants to stay on the East Coast - New York Yanks, Boston Red Sox, or Phillies.

Thank god for those darn no trade clauses...saves the Reds again...

defender
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Beltran is having a great year. I think the Reds are still in contention, and he is the best bat they could pick up.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank god for those darn no trade clauses...saves the Reds again...

yeah because Gomes is doing so awesome! Woo-hoo!!!!!

BAKER12
07-21-2011, 03:01 PM

I question how valued Wood is by the Reds considering D. Willis has taken his spot (or at least for now) in the rotation. I think many of us (me included) had Wood overrated and Leake underrated.

If Wood and Volquez are used as pieces to a trade that gets the Reds back to the playoffs, make the deal.