PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back at the 2008 Draft

Benihana
07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Now that we are 3.5 years removed from the 2008 draft, I thought it would be an interesting time to look back at what was a much discussed first round on this board.

Tim Beckham has struggled mightily in the Rays minor leagues, although he is having somewhat of a bounceback year in 2011.

Pedro Alvarez and Brian Matusz were widely billed as the best hitter and pitcher in the draft, respectively, and they have experienced similar careers thus far. Both rose fast through their systems, but battled injuries and then seemingly regressed this year, with Alvarez being demoted to AAA after straddling the Mendoza line and Matusz sporting an ERA over 8 in limited innings.

Buster Posey is and likely will continue to be the jewel of this class, despite being sidelined for the season with a broken ankle.

Eric Hosmer and Yonder Alonso have had similar starts, both getting a taste of the majors after putting up minor league OPS over .800.

Gordon Beckham and Justin Smoak, two players most people on this board were clamoring for, both had rapid rises to the big leagues but have cooled off considerably, posting .700 OPS over roughly 200 major league games in the last couple years.

Rounding out the top 10 are two catchers- Kyle Skipworth, who appears to have not figured things out and is floundering in AA, and Jason Castro who has had a solid start and will likely be looking at a September callup with the Astros.

Other notable first round selections include Ike Davis, who is looking like the best value selection in the round at #18 overall, and Brett Wallace who has been dealt three times already (including for Matt Holliday) and is having a nice 24-year-old season in Houston. Brett Lawrie single-handedly fetched the Brewers Shaun Marcum, so both of the Reds' NL Central rivals had successful picks as they were able to fetch All-Stars for their clubs.

Gerrit Cole, this year's #1 overall pick, was selected at #28 overall by the Yankees, but failed to sign.

So I ask, at this point in time do you think the Reds make the right move by selecting Alonso? Or do you still wish for Smoak and/or G.Beckham?

HokieRed
07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Since neither Posey nor Hosmer were possibilities for us, I continue to think we got the right guy. I'd like us to find a way to play him.

cinreds21
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Now that we are 3.5 years removed from the 2008 draft, I thought it would be an interesting time to look back at what was a much discus sed first round on this board.

Tim Beckham has struggled mightily in the Rays minor leagues, although he is having somewhat of a bounceback year in 2011.

Pedro Alvarez and Brian Matusz were widely billed as the best hitter and pitcher in the draft, respectively, and they have experienced similar careers thus far. Both rose fast through their systems, but battled injuries and then seemingly regressed this year, with Alvarez being demoted to AAA after straddling the Mendoza line and Matusz sporting an ERA over 8 in limited innings.

Buster Posey is and likely will continue to be the jewel of this class, despite being sidelined for the season with a broken ankle.

Eric Hosmer and Yonder Alonso have had similar starts, both getting a taste of the majors after putting up minor league OPS over .800.

Gordon Beckham and Justin Smoak, two players most people on this board were clamoring for, both had rapid rises to the big leagues but have cooled off considerably, posting .700 OPS over roughly 200 major league games in the last couple years.

Rounding out the top 10 are two catchers- Kyle Skipworth, who appears to have not figured things out and is floundering in AA, and Jason Castro who has had a solid start and will likely be looking at a September callup with the Astros.

Other notable first round selections include Ike Davis, who is looking like the best value selection in the round at #18 overall, and Brett Wallace who has been dealt three times already (including for Matt Holliday) and is having a nice 24-year-old season in Houston. Brett Lawrie single-handedly fetched the Brewers Shaun Marcum, so both of the Reds' NL Central rivals had successful picks as they were able to fetch All-Stars for their clubs.

Gerrit Cole, this year's #1 overall pick, was selected at #28 overall by the Yankees, but failed to sign.

So I ask, at this point in time do you think the Reds make the right move by selecting Alonso? Or do you still wish for Smoak and/or G.Beckham?

He got hurt in spring training with a torn ACL and damaged meniscus and is likely out for the year.

cinreds21
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
And Skipworth has been an extremely brutal pick for the Fish. Yuckie.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I was all about drafting Smoak at the time of the draft, but I was okay with the Alonso pick. I don't see any reason to regret it right now.

Joseph
07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I prefer to look back after 5 years instead of 3 but as this is the discussion posted, I'll chime in.

I still like Gordon Beckham and would have loved to have gotten him, outside that, I'm content with Alonso.

dougdirt
07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I was never on the Gordon Beckham bandwagon. Didn't see him sticking at short and if he didn't, then I wasn't too excited about his bat. Liked Smoak, didn't love him. Not entirely sure we got "the guy", but we certainly didn't pick poorly at all and definitely got a good guy with our pick.

_Sir_Charles_
07-19-2011, 03:44 PM
He got hurt in spring training with a torn ACL and damaged meniscus and is likely out for the year.

Yep. If he hadn't, he would have likely had been the starter all year for the astros.

Mario-Rijo
07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Still would have taken Gordon Beckham, Alonso is one I did not want at the time. I would have taken Smoak over Alonso then and now if Beckham hadn't been available. Knock Beckham around anyway you want to he has been in the bigs for quite awhile now for 2 reasons, one he is worthy of a 25 man spot and 2 his athleticism would allow for that on any team. He is not an elite athlete but he could probably have played a number of positions or would have likely brought more in a trade than Yonder will.

bubbachunk
07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Beckham still? He who can't even OPS 700 at third or second base?

Alonso still has to have more value, Beckhams bat would only look ok at SS

fearofpopvol1
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I think long term, Smoak may have been a better pick than Alonso, but I don't think Alonso was a bad pick either.

I was on the Beckham train and I'm glad to say I've gotten off of it. He's not a bad player, but he's disappointed in my opinion.

lollipopcurve
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I wanted Posey from way early that year. Didn't have a strong preference after that. At this point, Beckham and Smoak look like so-so major leaguers for their positions, still with room to grow. Jury somewhat out on Alonso, though he has held value all the way to the big-league precipice. If he can be part of a package that brings a significant player back to the Reds, he was at least as successful a pick as either Smoak or Beckham, in my book. That reckoning may come soon.