PDA

View Full Version : Predict some Reds deadline deals

Kc61
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Just for fun, here are some predictions.

Ubaldo Jiminez for Heisey, Alonso, Boxberger, Wood. Maybe Reds get something back with Ubaldo.

Ramon Hernandez and Todd Frazier for Eric Surkamp and a good lower level Giants prospect.

Yasmani Grandal, Dave Sappelt, and Fred Lewis for Brandon League, Chone Figgins (plus some cash) and a medium prospect.

Juan Francisco (not exactly Moneyball type), Josh Smith, and Jonny Gomes for Coco Crisp and a good younger prospect.

Others?

Benihana
07-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Todd Frazier and Matt Klinker for Ryan Ludwick.

Mark Fleury for Jason Isringhausen (Walt just can't stay away from that guy).

07-20-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm going to go crazy and say something similar to this trade will happen. Too much smoke for their not to be a fire.

Jimenez and Street to the Reds

Volquez, Wood, Alonso, Sappelt, Francisco to the Rockies.

mth123
07-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Jason Isringhausen to the Reds for Chris Valaika. That's all we get.

mth123
07-20-2011, 03:05 AM
The Previous post is what I think will happen. Here is what I'd like to see:

1. Travis Wood, Drew Stubbs, Brad Boxberger and Juan Francisco to Colorado for Ubaldo Jiminez

2. Yasmani Grandal, Yonder Alsonso and Edinson Volquez to Florida for Anibal Sanchez

3. Jose Arredondo to Texas for David Murphy

4. Bronson Arroyo to the Red Sox for Marco Scutaro and a big escape from his extension.

5. Fred Lewis and Edgar Renteria released

6. David Sappelt Recalled.

7. Jeremy Horst to AAA

Sappelt CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Murphy/Gomes LF
Hernandez/Hanigan C
Rolen 3B
Cozart SS

Heisey, Scutaro and Cairo round out the bench.

Jiminez
Sanchez
Cueto
Bailey
Leake

Lecure
Willis
Ondrusek
Bray
Chapman
Masset
Cordero

cinreds21
07-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Juan Francisco is hurt and may be out the rest of the year. I'm not sure.

And Anibal isn't going anywhere.

Guacarock
07-20-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm going to go crazy and say something similar to this trade will happen. Too much smoke for their not to be a fire.

With as much smoke as we're seeing, a fire could definitely ignite. But I'd be surprised if a Reds-Rockies trade extends to Street or includes this much of our prospect talent base heading to Colorado.

A more likely scenario: We trade Stubbs, Alonso and Volquez to the Rockies for Jimenez.

We turn around and deal Francisco or Frazier, plus perhaps a pitcher like Willis or Wood, to the As for Coco Crisp. He would be a rental, but getting him in 2011 might give us a leg up on re-signing him for 2012 to serve as our switch-hitting lead-off man and replacement for Stubbs, as well as CF mentor to Sappelt.

These two trades would change the team chemistry for the balance of this season and maybe give us the right spark to contend, but also position us well for next year, addressing needs for acquiring another TOR arm and a legitimate table-setter. The mid-range salaries of Jimenez and Crisp also could be pretty much absorbed within the Reds' existing budget, allowing us to open 2012 with a salary cap around 80 million -- same as this year.

Could Figgins also be heading our way? Seems more like a smokescreen to me, unless Seattle is so down on him that they're prepared to pick up the lion's share of the $20 million he's still due through 2013. Of course, what if the Mariners gave us Brandon League along with Figgins, and agreed to take back the one big really dicey contract that we have on the books -- last winter's splurge three-year extension to Arroyo? That's a scenario I haven't seen anyone discuss or kick around, but if it happened, I don't know that I'd find it all that shocking.

Will M
07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I told my wife that the Reds were looking at Chone Figgins & Izzy.
Her response was something like "ughh". She then had some suggestions for Walt that she thought would be better.

1) why not Dunn? he's just terrible instead of outright awful

2) bring back Sean Casey. or maybe Nick Esasky.

3) what about the underwear guy (Jim Palmer)? he's already tried a comeback once. maybe the 2nd time is the charm

4) and last: 'what about that dead guy?' . I belive she was referring to the late great Roberto Clemente.

klw
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
1. Flotsem for Jetsem

2. Something surprising

corkedbat
07-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Would love to add Street along with Ubaldo. don't think it will happen, but I like the idea. If we added Street, I'd do anything possible to move Cordero - well OK, I'd do anything to move Coco without Street.

alexad
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
We have to do something. It appears Brooks Jacoby is going to need replaced before we traded for another outfielder.

nate
07-20-2011, 09:15 PM
1. Flotsem for Jetsem

2. Something surprising

High five!

Mario-Rijo
07-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Reds & Mets - Yonder Alonso, Boxberger & Fred Lewis for Carlos Beltran & Cash (lots of it which will take commissioners approval BTW).

No Shields, No Ubaldo, No Pence, Not even a Ludwick. It's Beltran or Bust...ok maybe a Melky Cabrera.

marcshoe
07-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Zachary, Flynn, and minor leaguers Norman and Henderson for Jiminez.

Will M
07-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Reds & Mets - Yonder Alonso, Boxberger & Fred Lewis for Carlos Beltran & Cash (lots of it which will take commissioners approval BTW).

No Shields, No Ubaldo, No Pence, Not even a Ludwick. It's Beltran or Bust...ok maybe a Melky Cabrera.

thats 2 good prospects for a rental that can't be offered arbitration (its in his contract)

chicoruiz
07-21-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't know how the Dodgers ownership situation hamstrings their ability to make deals, but with Loney underwhelming at 1b and Trayvon Robinson hot in AAA, something based around Alonso for Ethier would make a lot of sense.

Mario-Rijo
07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
thats 2 good prospects for a rental that can't be offered arbitration (its in his contract)

I don't want to give up that much and I don't necessarily think it's fair value but sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and hope for the best. We need a big bat and Beltran when healthy is one of the few capable and available. The momentum of 2 straight playoff berths is huge for ticket sales and that is where the focus needs to be, drawing more thru the gates. It's a gamble but one it's time to make.

Mario-Rijo
07-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't know how the Dodgers ownership situation hamstrings their ability to make deals, but with Loney underwhelming at 1b and Trayvon Robinson hot in AAA, something based around Alonso for Ethier would make a lot of sense.

This would be awesome...Ethier I really like and he would provide alot. Just don't know how the Dodgers ownership issues would play into not sending anyone of this magnitude out. But on the flipside it would help them monetarily speaking.

KoryMac5
07-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I predict Walt saying " We had some deals out there but the price was too high". Reds sit on their hands.

Benihana
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Totally agree with this. Unless he's dealt to Tampa for Shields, Alonso doesn't seem to be involved in most of the deals that would be attractive to the Reds:

No Beltran/Reyes (Mets have Ike Davis)
No Jimenez (Rox have Helton through 2013)
No Padres Relievers (Anthony Rizzo)
No Royals (Hosmer)
No Braves (Freeman)
No Mariners (Smoak)

However he is a PERFECT fit for the Dodgers. I saw something somewhere where the Dodgers said that Kemp, Kershaw, and Billingsley would not be moved. They curiously said nothing about Ethier.

Note: The Orioles could also use Alonso, but that may be too steep of a price for Guthrie alone.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
I predict finding out on Aug. 2, a couple of days after they're traded to other teams, that the Reds came in second in the sweepstakes for Ubaldo Jimenez, James Shields, Carlos Beltran and others.

No move will be made.

RedLegSuperStar
07-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Why is Helton such a staple for the Rockies and why does that prevent a Yonder Alonso deal? Helton is 38 years young; yes I know and is looking like a rejuvenated version of himself but he isn't going to be at 1st forever. Maybe next year and that is it. Alonso could be placed in the OF until ready to take over the reigns.

RedLegSuperStar
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
With that said..

Yonder Alonso, Travis Wood/Mike Leake, Chris Valaika & Yasmani Grandel (PTBNL) for Ubaldo Jimenez

Todd Frazier & Carlos Fisher to San Diego For Ryan Ludwick

Jonny Gomes to Atlanta for A/AA Prospect

Benihana
07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Why is Helton such a staple for the Rockies and why does that prevent a Yonder Alonso deal? Helton is 38 years young; yes I know and is looking like a rejuvenated version of himself but he isn't going to be at 1st forever. Maybe next year and that is it. Alonso could be placed in the OF until ready to take over the reigns.

They have CarGo in LF. Helton's contract is through 2013. Same reason why we won't trade for a 3B right now (although I wish we would), except Helton is actually healthy and producing unlike Rolen. Or a 1B for that matter, for those that are convinced Votto is gone after 2013. Alonso is too valuable of an asset to sit the bench or play totally out of position until 2014, when he'll be 27 years old.

They also have a Catcher who started for the World Team in the Prospects All-Star Game. I actually think Tampa is a better fit for the Reds, as they have big holes to fill at C and 1B. It's a shame because Jimenez's contract is insanely team-friendly.

Benihana
07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
How about

Bailey, Wood, Volquez, and Francisco for Ubaldo Jimenez.
Grandal, Alonso, and Sappelt for James Shields.

Reds win the pennant* and have an affordable, dominant rotation set-in-stone for the next three years:

Jimenez
Shields
Cueto
Leake
Chapman (Willis/Arroyo hold down the #5 spot for the remainder of 2011/until Chapman is stretched out at some point next season)

*Jimenez-Shields-Cueto is a playoff rotation that could actually compete with Halladay-Lee-Hamels and/or Lincecum-Cain-Bumgarner.

Hey, a guy can dream ;)

Kc61
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
How about

Bailey, Wood, Volquez, and Francisco for Ubaldo Jimenez.
Grandal, Alonso, and Sappelt for James Shields.

Reds win the pennant* and have an affordable, dominant rotation set-in-stone for the next three years:

Jimenez
Shields
Cueto
Leake
Chapman (Willis/Arroyo hold down the #5 spot for the remainder of 2011/until Chapman is stretched out at some point next season)

*Jimenez-Shields-Cueto is a playoff rotation that could actually compete with Halladay-Lee-Hamels and/or Lincecum-Cain-Bumgarner.

Hey, a guy can dream ;)

So Colorado and Tampa trade the Reds these two pitchers and nobody insists on Mesoraco.

Hope so, but . . . .

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 06:42 AM
So Colorado and Tampa trade the Reds these two pitchers and nobody insists on Mesoraco.

Hope so, but . . . .

They don't need to insist Walt can just take him off the table right from the beginning. I'm sure they would prefer to also get Mes but that doesn't mean they won't be perfectly content to get a package like listed above. Every team has their no deal prospects and still make deals why can't we?

Heck I'd take it a step further and tell them Alonso & Boxberger are off the table as well and let them talk me into dealing those 2 but not Mes. If it makes them feel better.

chicoruiz
07-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Alonso & Frazier for Ethier.

Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger and Heisey for Shields.

Kc61
07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
They don't need to insist Walt can just take him off the table right from the beginning. I'm sure they would prefer to also get Mes but that doesn't mean they won't be perfectly content to get a package like listed above. Every team has their no deal prospects and still make deals why can't we?

Heck I'd take it a step further and tell them Alonso & Boxberger are off the table as well and let them talk me into dealing those 2 but not Mes. If it makes them feel better.

Or maybe Colorado or Tampa gets the top prospect from some other organization for Ubaldo or Shields.

Everybody was shocked that the Reds gave up Zach Stewart for Rolen. Walt said it was necessary.

These other teams have the ability to walk away, too.

Strikes Out Looking
07-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Grandal and Volquez for Beltran. I know he'd only be a rental for 60 games, but he could bat 4th behind Votto and play LF. He'd provide the offense some much needed punch.

Benihana
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Alonso & Frazier for Ethier.

Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger and Heisey for Shields.

Yes please.

Grandal and Volquez for Beltran. I know he'd only be a rental for 60 games, but he could bat 4th behind Votto and play LF. He'd provide the offense some much needed punch.

Ugh, no thanks. I like the idea of getting a LF cleanup hitter but I'm not interested in trading Grandal and Volquez for a non-pitching rental. If anything, I think Volquez straight up would be the fair price for a rental of Beltran.

Rojo
07-22-2011, 02:34 PM

What about Billingsley? His contract runs through 2014 (roughly $10m/year).

Caveat Emperor
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Frazier + PTBNL + Cash for Ryan Ludwick

Will M
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Frazier + PTBNL + Cash for Ryan Ludwick

:thumbdown:

I don't understand the Ludwick idea. i'd either get an everyday leftfielder or a LH bat better than Lewis (to platoon with Gomes).

Caveat Emperor
07-22-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't understand the Ludwick idea. i'd either get an everyday leftfielder or a LH bat better than Lewis (to platoon with Gomes).

Neither do I -- but it's meets all the criteria for a perfect Walt Jocketty trade:

1. Available now? (Check)
2. Former Cardinal? (Check)
3. Best years behind him? (Check)
4. Not playing terribly well currently? (Check)
5. Low cost to acquire? (Check)

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 03:50 PM

I understand it, people want a guy who hits RH with a little pop to hit between the LH's and replace Gomes. And alot of the same people think Heisey is a better bench player/sub at this time, tough to argue with that.

But I agree Lewis hasn't inspired much confidence, Melky Cabrera would be a nice guy to replace him with and split time with Heisey/Gomes. If not I guess Coco Crisp would be the next logical choice. Neither is an ideal leadoff type (so Stubbs could provide some pop down in the order) but they could probably get by.

Will M
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I understand it, people want a guy who hits RH with a little pop ...

IMO this description does not fit Ludwick at this stage of his career.

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 08:44 PM

ESPYs one-liner of the week

Dodgers

From the great Seth Meyers, on the Dodgers' plight:

"The Dodgers are so broke, three of their players tested positive for Ramen noodles."

:laugh:

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
IMO this description does not fit Ludwick at this stage of his career.

I don't think it's fair to make that claim given he hits in probably one of if not thee toughest divisions to hit for power in. I'm not disagreeing but not willing to admit it either, I just don't think any of us can know for sure.