PDA

View Full Version : Deal looks to be soon... very very soon

wvreds
07-20-2011, 12:19 AM
according to Tracy Ringolsby (The Jim Day for the Rockies) Jerry Walker Walt's Top aide is @ Coors Field tonight and guess who is pitching Ubaldo Jimenez does this mean a deal is soon?? Coincidence? yeah right

Stray
07-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Can Ubaldo hit a sac fly?

wvreds
07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
haha one can only hope

texasdave
07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Isley Brothers lyrics come to mind, "Look, but don't touch".

texasdave
07-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I understand due diligence and all that, but for the players they are going to have to part with to get Jimenez if they are still unsure if he is worth it or not then they never will know.

Krawhitham
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
he will cost 3-4 plus prospects and pitching is not the problem

plus he is not the answer for pitching anyway. He had one really great year and now he is back to normal 4.08 ERA 1.3 WHIP. Plus do we really want a flyball pitcher at GABP, and yes GABP gives up more home runs than Coors Field

Jr's Boy
07-20-2011, 12:54 AM
We need STICKS Jokerty!

bshall2105
07-20-2011, 12:57 AM
We need STICKS Jokerty!

This trade would be more about the future than this year! Jimenez is under contract for the next 4 years. He's fairly cheap too.

BPhil4
07-20-2011, 01:17 AM
He pitched pretty well tonight. I say do it. Then go after a bad. With our schedule in august and September. This division can still be won.

Todd Gack
07-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Can Ubaldo hit w/ RISP? If not, then it won't make a difference.

drowg14
07-20-2011, 01:53 AM
he will cost 3-4 plus prospects and pitching is not the problem

plus he is not the answer for pitching anyway. He had one really great year and now he is back to normal 4.08 ERA 1.3 WHIP. Plus do we really want a flyball pitcher at GABP, and yes GABP gives up more home runs than Coors Field

One thing I read about him said that his slider can't cut in the thin air in Coors. And his home/away splits are pretty drastic. 5.89 era at home, 2.28 on the road with 55.0 ip and 55.1 ip respectively.
http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=3374&position=P&season=2011

joshua
07-20-2011, 02:46 AM
We've just now begun to see the rewards for rebuilding an awesome farm system (Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Votto etc) and now we're getting ready to trade the next "class" (Mesoraco, Grandal, Leake, Wood, Alonso, Sappelt) for a 4 ERA pitcher?

Nope. I'd rather not. We aren't losing 1-2 run ballgames because of pitching...it's because we can load the bases, but can never drive anyone in. We need a powerful righty outfielder to slug some of these guys home with some consistency. If Ubaldo is an investment in the future, then why not wait for guys like Chapman, Leake and Wood to improve (they're all really young and don't have much MLB experience) instead of trading away the farm to have an over rated pitcher go out there and throw for 3 years?

mu4103
07-20-2011, 03:01 AM
I agree - the Red's have one of the top minor league systems in baseball. No one down there could do any worse. Why mortgage the farm before you try out your best cows? Jimenez could be good or he could be a wash-up. Besides, really at this point the Reds are close to becoming sellers not buyers.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
If management isn't going to bring up the triple A guys, then I say trad'em away for someone they will play.

Obviously, our farm system is just to grow trading chips and not major league ballplayers.

Girevik
07-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll take Jimenez in a heartbeat, but as bshall said this would be a trade for the next couple of years. I have dreams of a rotation of Cueto, Jimenez, Chapman....

But SOMETHING needs to be done to get a cleanup hitter, or the pitchers will need a 0.89 ERA for the team to be successfull.

mivers176
07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll take Jimenez in a heartbeat, but as bshall said this would be a trade for the next couple of years. I have dreams of a rotation of Cueto, Jimenez, Chapman....

But SOMETHING needs to be done to get a cleanup hitter, or the pitchers will need a 0.89 ERA for the team to be successfull.

I agree - I think Jimenez is good enough to help solidify a better rotation, I dont see how anyone could be comfortable completely with what we have in Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, etc - Jimenez has 1-2 potential which we still need to compete with Brewers (Gallardo, Greinke) or Cards (Carpenter, Garcia, Wainwright).

But the offense has been atrocious - unwatchable to me. Maybe a change at hitting coach? These guys just cant put the ball in play when thats all it requires to score a run ...

markymark69
07-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Agree with all those who say we need a bat (and quickly) - but a chance to get a legit No. 1 starter, which Jimemez is according to most baseball people, doesn't come along everyday - especially one that you have control for a few years.

I hope they can pull it off without taking too much of a hit - but somebody that could actually put the ball in play with the bases loaded and less than two outs would be kind of nice too.

brm7675
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
At this point does it really matter? Does anyone here really have any faith in Dusty, the coaching staff or Walt to lead this team over the coming years? I mean they have one nice season due to mainly having a few players having career type numbers and the rest have stunk. As long as we have these men in charge I really don't see long term winnning with this franchise.

Hillsdale87
07-20-2011, 12:25 PM
We've just now begun to see the rewards for rebuilding an awesome farm system (Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Votto etc) and now we're getting ready to trade the next "class" (Mesoraco, Grandal, Leake, Wood, Alonso, Sappelt) for a 4 ERA pitcher?

Nope. I'd rather not. We aren't losing 1-2 run ballgames because of pitching...it's because we can load the bases, but can never drive anyone in. We need a powerful righty outfielder to slug some of these guys home with some consistency. If Ubaldo is an investment in the future, then why not wait for guys like Chapman, Leake and Wood to improve (they're all really young and don't have much MLB experience) instead of trading away the farm to have an over rated pitcher go out there and throw for 3 years?

If we could really do a Wood, Alonso, Volquez deal as has been rumored, I would do that in a heartbeat. Alonso is a nice player, but I'm just not sure he has any future with the Reds, so there's no reason to keep him. I like Wood too, but I'd rather have Ubaldo, and then Volquez is just a mess. And, as has been mentioned, this is not just a deal for this year. He would solidify this rotation for the next 2-3 years

mu4103
07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I really don't think the Reds are one or two players away from the W.S. I think they need to keep their young talent at this point (some of it can be traded, because a lot of it overlaps). But the Reds may be sellers here pretty soon. Drew Stubbs may be a good young guy to trade because of his trade value.

5TimeWSChamps
07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
2012 - $4,000,000
2013 - $5,750,000 - Team Option
2014 - $8,000,000 - Team Option (Could be voided if traded)

You would be stupid NOT to do that

drowg14
07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't get why some people are saying, we don't need a pitcher, we need a bat. Yes, we desperately need a 4 hitter to provide protection for Votto. But lets say we go out and get one, do you really think we have the rotation to take a 5 or 7 game series from the Phils? A bat could probably help get us out of the Central, but the Central division is weak, so whoever comes out is probably going to lose in the NLDS. So if we can get a 1/2 type pitcher who we have under control for a few years, why not get him now. Then this offseason we can go after that 4 hitter, and start building towards the World Series with the remainder of our strong farm system.

Of course, if a Jimenez or Shields is going to cost us a Mes or all of our top prospects, then it is not worth it.

brm7675
07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
2012 - $4,000,000
2013 - $5,750,000 - Team Option
2014 - $8,000,000 - Team Option (Could be voided if traded)

You would be stupid NOT to do that

If it means you don't add some hitters, yes it's a stupid move.

brm7675
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't get why some people are saying, we don't need a pitcher, we need a bat. Yes, we desperately need a 4 hitter to provide protection for Votto. But lets say we go out and get one, do you really think we have the rotation to take a 5 or 7 game series from the Phils? A bat could probably help get us out of the Central, but the Central division is weak, so whoever comes out is probably going to lose in the NLDS. So if we can get a 1/2 type pitcher who we have under control for a few years, why not get him now. Then this offseason we can go after that 4 hitter, and start building towards the World Series with the remainder of our strong farm system.

Of course, if a Jimenez or Shields is going to cost us a Mes or all of our top prospects, then it is not worth it.

Yes I think a rotation of Cueto/Leake/Bronson/Chapman can take the phils if we have the bats. Our pitching wasn't why we lost to them last year, it was the inability to score runs.

swaisuc
07-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Yes I think a rotation of Cueto/Leake/Bronson/Chapman can take the phils if we have the bats. Our pitching wasn't why we lost to them last year, it was the inability to score runs.I agree with you, but that has more to do with the Phils roster construction than ours.

drowg14
07-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes I think a rotation of Cueto/Leake/Bronson/Chapman can take the phils if we have the bats. Our pitching wasn't why we lost to them last year, it was the inability to score runs.

As of right now, Chapman is still a reliever. If they keep him in that slot the rest of the year, I don't see him as a starter next year. If they want him as a starter they need to send him back down to start stretching him out.