PDA

View Full Version : What more does Cueto have to do to prove he's an ace?

Benihana
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I hope I didn't jinx the rest of today's performance.

Seriously, as of the fourth inning, the guy has a 1.94 ERA and a 0.95 WHIP. While he may not put up those kinds of numbers in the future, I think it's reasonable to expect him to continue performing like a #1 starter. Hopefully people on this board will start to realize and appreciate that.

Now let's go out and get one more "ace" to compliment him.

Caveat Emperor
07-20-2011, 01:27 PM
His declining-K numbers are a little worrisome to me. I'm not a strict adherent to the Church of xFIP, but that along with his BABIP numbers suggest that Cueto's numbers are due for a correction at some point.

Unassisted
07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Win 20 games in a season. You do that and no one doubts that you're the ace. ;)

medford
07-20-2011, 01:32 PM
repeatability is the key. Was Jack Armstrong an ACE for 1 half of 1 great season? No, and neither will Johnny be considerred an ACE until he puts up numbers similar to this for 2-3 seasons.

klw
07-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Two big things he needs to do are:
1- Have strong 2nd half to the seasons- he has faded badly the past two seasons. In 09 it started with his All Star snub and the 22-1 loss at Philly. Last year, the Reds lost 5 straight of his starts in Sept.

2- He needs to go 9 innings. He has only done this once in his career- his brilliant game in Pittsburgh last May. He has 2 8 inning outings this year which were both CG's because they were losses. Aces in my mind will go 8 regularly. Halladay just had a string snapped of 64 straight road games where he went at least 6+ innings.

OldXOhio
07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Threatening to beat Jay Bruce's azzz if he doesn't hit the cutoff man would be a good start.

wolfboy
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
His declining-K numbers are a little worrisome to me. I'm not a strict adherent to the Church of xFIP, but that along with his BABIP numbers suggest that Cueto's numbers are due for a correction at some point.

Someone get this man a beer. :beerme:

Dan
07-20-2011, 01:57 PM

And you can let the fungus grow back on your shoes, and the reporters will think you're colorful. :D

CTA513
07-20-2011, 01:59 PM
start opening day and he can be an ace like Volquez

alexad
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
He needs to get in the faces of the offense and let them know how unhappy he is getting a loss for giving up one or two runs a game and getting nothing from the offense to support him. That is being an ace!!

Superdude
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

This unfortunately. A .217 BABIP is just not sustainable at all. Going forward, he's a nice 3.50ERA #2 pitcher IMO, but clearly a step below the obvious aces in the league.

REDblooded
07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
It's just traditional perception that he has to overcome... To be an "ace" you have to put up fantasy friendly numbers and dominate with K's... When he's not doing that, he's not going to be recognized as an ace...

Even if he's every bit as effective as one.

Superdude
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
It's just traditional perception that he has to overcome... To be an "ace" you have to put up fantasy friendly numbers and dominate with K's... When he's not doing that, he's not going to be recognized as an ace...

Even if he's every bit as effective as one.

He has pitched like an ace so far, but unless Cueto's turned into some sort of freak statistical anomaly, you can't really project him to continue this kind of dominance without amping up the K's a bit.

dougdirt
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Threatening to beat Jay Bruce's azzz if he doesn't hit the cutoff man would be a good start.

This is sarcastic isn't it?

dougdirt
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
He needs to get in the faces of the offense and let them know how unhappy he is getting a loss for giving up one or two runs a game and getting nothing from the offense to support him. That is being an ace!!

No it isn't.

Joseph
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Cueto is pitching like an Ace right now, does that make him one? Well all depends on the person being asked. In other words, its subjective.

RedsManRick
07-20-2011, 07:45 PM
18 more months of this would be a good place to start. Something tells me he's not the only pitcher who will be able to maintain an ERA 1.5 runs under his FIP/xFIP/tERA/SIERA.

Spitball
07-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure he has proven to be an ace, but he has pitched very well...especially on the road. I'm a fan.

Captain Hook
07-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I think Cueto is an ace.It might not be saying much but I would take him over any other pitcher in the central.No matter how bad the Reds are playing I feel pretty confident that they'll get a win with Johnny on the mound.

guttle11
07-21-2011, 12:42 AM
He has to get traded to New York, Boston, or Philly.

WVRedsFan
07-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Yes, he the ace...of this staff and probably would be if he was playing for the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies. Sad but true.

Let me puzzle this to you. Did you expect Johnny Cueto to be the ace of this staff? I did, but many considered Edinson Volquez to be that man. Who expected Bronson to fall and Mike Leake, who nearly didn't even make the team, to be this good. Same for Homer Bailey.

Baseball is a funny game. So far, it's Cueto, Leake, and Bailey. And then pray for two days of rain. It wasn't supposed to be like that.,

Superdude
07-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Yes, he the ace...of this staff and probably would be if he was playing for the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies. Sad but true.

That is sad. That Philly staff is a bunch of soft tossing has-beens. :D

cumberlandreds
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
repeatability is the key. Was Jack Armstrong an ACE for 1 half of 1 great season? No, and neither will Johnny be considerred an ACE until he puts up numbers similar to this for 2-3 seasons.

I pretty much agree with this^

Keep pitching like he has the rest of this season and into about this point next season and I may consider him a true ace. Right now he is a temporary ace like Arroyo and Volquez were at one time.

klw
07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I enjoyed the timing of the link on foxsports.com/mlb to the article about the Reds win yesterday.

Reds ace helps avoid sweep in Pittsburgh

Is "temporary ace" another name for an Ace Bandage?

Ghosts of 1990
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I think it's just more of the same. Guys who are known as true 'aces' just seem to string a few seasons like Cueto is having together. He's in the category of a rising stopper right now. He stops losing streaks. When he's on the mound we're as good as anyone in baseball. All that needs to happen is him sustaining it. If he's still doing this a year from right now, he's an ace.

Redsfan320
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Baseball is a funny game. So far, it's Cueto, Leake, and Bailey. And then pray for two days of rain. It wasn't supposed to be like that.,

Nice post, but you're forgetting someone... the D-Train has come rolling into town.

2 G, 10.2 IP, 4 ER (3.38 ERA), 9 H, 9 K/ 5 BB.

Extremely small SS, but I'm certainly not praying for rain his next start (Sun. vs. ATL).

fearofpopvol1
08-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Beast. He looked absolutely sick today.

3 hits over 9 innings, 1 BB, 6 K and 0 ER. Incredible. I know the Giants don't have the best offense in the world, but they still usually hit well against the Reds.

_Sir_Charles_
08-01-2011, 09:30 AM

But I thought wins were a poor way to judge a pitcher? ;):p