PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Correa Suspended

BuckWild03
07-20-2011, 02:19 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/07/reds-prospect-jonathan-correa-suspended-one-year-for-fraud/

Major League Baseball has suspended one of Cincinnati's top pitching prospects for lying about his age, a source familiar with the case told Baseball America.

Girevik
07-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Raido this morning said it was another positive drug test.

I don't understand suspending him. Fine him or something, but suspending him hurts the Reds as much as it does him, and it's not the Reds fault he used a phony birth certificate.

ervinsm84
07-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't understand suspending him. Fine him or something, but suspending him hurts the Reds as much as it does him, and it's not the Reds fault he used a phony birth certificate.

While i agree its not the Reds fault, I think the suspension is meant to be used as a disincentive to international players to lie about their age and end up with contracts they otherwise would not have gotten. I dont think this is the best solution though, bc teams already are extremely interested in the age of the player bc that heavily dictates how much $ that player can command.

Im curious what options this will give the Reds with regards to his contract. To me the best solution would be for teams to be able to keep the player playing, but force the player to take a drastic salary cut for the duration of the contract, maybe have them have to have free agency delayed in the future by a couple years, and fine the player a massive amount of $.

Girevik
07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
While i agree its not the Reds fault, I think the suspension is meant to be used as a disincentive to international players to lie about their age and end up with contracts they otherwise would not have gotten. I dont think this is the best solution though, bc teams already are extremely interested in the age of the player bc that heavily dictates how much $ that player can command.

Im curious what options this will give the Reds with regards to his contract. To me the best solution would be for teams to be able to keep the player playing, but force the player to take a drastic salary cut for the duration of the contract, maybe have them have to have free agency delayed in the future by a couple years, and fine the player a massive amount of $.

Problem is, I don't think MLB has the authority to do any of those things. I don't think legally they can change the parameters of a contract, and doing anything to the time it takes to become a FA would require the players union to buy in and allow it in the CBA.

The Reds might be able to get the contract voided based on fraud, but then they'd probably lose the player and I'm sure they don't want that.

ervinsm84
07-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Problem is, I don't think MLB has the authority to do any of those things. I don't think legally they can change the parameters of a contract, and doing anything to the time it takes to become a FA would require the players union to buy in and allow it in the CBA.

The Reds might be able to get the contract voided based on fraud, but then they'd probably lose the player and I'm sure they don't want that.

Id imagine they can get it voided, but what happens from there idk

Maybe the Reds can start writing some specific provision into the contract that specifies what happens if at a future date they find out the player lied about his age.