PDA

View Full Version : Braves want Jonny Gomes!!!!

NorrisHopper30
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/braves-have-interest-in-jonny-gomes.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Send em over!

redssince75
07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/braves-have-interest-in-jonny-gomes.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Send em over!

Do we have more than one Gomes?

brm7675
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Okay we send them Gomes, Janish and Stubbs and then send us that RF kid that they have...you know what's his name...

Pete4prez
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm all for giving Heisey more playing time!! With Gomes in a Braves uniform this should happen.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I think they want Gnomes, not Gomes. They could use a little luck.

I think I've seen it all with this trade rumor coming along.

The DARK
07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll be happy if we can nab a half-decent prospect for him... it'll replenish our system and allow us to try Alonso, Frazier, and Sappelt in LF. Still, odd timing right before bobblehead night.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
I'll be happy if we can nab a half-decent prospect for him... it'll replenish our system and allow us to try Alonso, Frazier, and Sappelt in LF. Still, odd timing right before bobblehead night.

Trade him and send the bobbleheads to Atlanta for free. A quick repainting of his uniform will make it alright. The Reds could throw that expense in the trade. :laugh:

drowg14
07-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Trade him and send the bobbleheads to Atlanta for free. A quick repainting of his uniform will make it alright. The Reds could throw that expense in the trade. :laugh:

Hell, I bet half of Reds Zone would volunteer to repaint them.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Hell, I bet half of Reds Zone would volunteer to repaint them.

RedsZone painting party!!!!!

bshall2105
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
RedsZone painting party!!!!!

when and where?

ruREaDy2
07-20-2011, 08:51 PM
http://images.maydealing.com/products/002/25724_paint_brushes.gif

I brought us some brushes! :D

mu4103
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
The trade actually makes sense to me. If the Reds would have used Gomes as I suspect the Braves will as a spot starter against lefties and and pinch-hitter he would have been pretty valuable to the Reds. As it is I think the Braves would be a good fit. Really if they took his contract it would be more than what I thought he was worth.

The sad part is now Dusty, who had previously run out of every possible reasonable explanation for starting Gomes, has two more.
a. "We are showcasing him for a trade."
b. "Other teams are drooling over this guy in the trade market - obviously he deserves to start."

I would love to do a thread on the reasons Dusty has given for starting Gomes over the year.
1. We are working him out of a slump.
2. When he is playing well he can carry this team on his shoulders.
3. He is willing to DH for us.
4. He has experience DHing.
5. I had a midnight epiphony.
6. Most recent:I thought it would help break our offense out of a slump. . .

Tuff Nut
07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Man, if this isn't an ideal move, I don't know what is? Gomes for anyone, is way better than Gomes for nothing, which is what shoulda been done months ago......Eh, Dusty?

Old NDN
07-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Fay just posted the rumor. Man, he must always be the last to know of any of the rumors.

mu4103
07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Fay just posted the rumor, Man, he must always be the last to know of any of the rumors.
Maybe he was just holding out that it wouldn't happen and figured if he didn't report it, it wouldn't happen.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Gomes traded for free. Reds give Gomes away. I'd laugh if that's what happens.

CRedsLarkin11
07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=mu4103;2443521]The trade actually makes sense to me. If the Reds would have used Gomes as I suspect the Braves will as a spot starter against lefties and and pinch-hitter he would have been pretty valuable to the Reds. As it is I think the Braves would be a good fit. Really if they took his contract it would be more than what I thought he was worth.
QUOTE]

I agree with this point completely. He is a platoon player and that's it. A good guy to have around the club house, whatever ya wanna say and he hits lefties a ton...but he is not an everyday left fielder and Dusty is not going to use him as he should. If he is traded, I see it as a PTBNL situation and I don't think anyone here would be upset... and I'm in the crowd that really wants Heisey to get a shot at this thing. If he blows it, fine, but there is no one out there who they are realistically going to be trading for this season.

partisan
07-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Don't see how the reds can pass on getting anything for Gomes, but I'm sure they will.

bshall2105
07-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Don't see how the reds can pass on getting anything for Gomes, but I'm sure they will.

We better not here a chemistry excuse this year when they haven't even played well.

Girevik
07-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure it would work out. Someone on the Braves would need run to Dicks to get the box of balls they'd trade for hime, and with gas prices and all.....

Seriously, I like Gomes and hate to see the grief he's taken. I think he could be a really good player to have if used correctly but Dusty for whatever reason seems to be allergic to the platoon. I wouldn't mind seeing Gomes traded and Heisey made the leadoff guy so Stubbs could move down in the order.

nux fan
07-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I hope the braves trade us Jay Ritchie

bounty37h
07-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Wonder if Braves still have any interest in Arroyo, they reportedly really wanted him the last few years, though that may not be the case now. But if so, wonder if package them together?

nux fan
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
how about arroyo and gomes for clay carroll, woody woodward, pete smith, jun bong and mac jones

bounty37h
07-21-2011, 03:11 PM
how about arroyo and gomes for clay carroll, woody woodward, pete smith, jun bong and mac jones

The Reds came out the break playing like there is already a bong in the locker room.

BAKER12
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
A guy with a mohawk needs to play for the Braves

BurgervilleBuck
07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
A guy with a mohawk needs to play for the Braves

Well... they can't have Dontrelle Willis.

BluegrassRedleg
07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
As Frank Barone would say: "Holy crap!"

BAKER12
07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Typical scenario for 2011 Reds:(:
Gomes traded tomorrow before game
Pinch hit granny against Cordero to win game for Atlanta

KYRedLeg
07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
As we were walking out of the game tonight, a group of Braves fans were making fun of Jonny Gomes.

Ha! Joke's on them...

And I like Gomes, but never against a righty...

code
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
after the showing Gomes gave them tonight on that horrible batting. I am sure they will pass now.

dcameron24
07-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I love the "idea" of Jonny Gomes and he's been one of my favorite players on the Reds. A good clubhouse presence, motivator, emotional, etc.

That being said the "idea" of Gomes isn't the reality of Gomes. If he has any value whatsoever we need to capitalize on it while we can.

I would think he would bring something comparable to the Hairston trade a couple years ago. Maybe a lower level prospect with some potential...

mroby85
07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I love the "idea" of Jonny Gomes and he's been one of my favorite players on the Reds. A good clubhouse presence, motivator, emotional, etc.

That being said the "idea" of Gomes isn't the reality of Gomes. If he has any value whatsoever we need to capitalize on it while we can.

I would think he would bring something comparable to the Hairston trade a couple years ago. Maybe a lower level prospect with some potential...

The idea/reality comment you made is exactly how I feel about him. He's probably the worst player they've ever had that I wont be thrilled to see go, lol. I did like Hairston though, I thought he was really underrated.

jwmann2
07-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Johnny for a Johnny. Gomes for Venters and then it's see you Ondrusek. Sorry, never was an Ondrusek fan, especially after tonight. We have plenty of power in our offense and pitching blows it for us 8/10 times. There is hope because we have played terrible all year and are still right there in the race!