PDA

View Full Version : Braves Have Interest in Gomes?

camisadelgolf
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/braves-have-interest-in-jonny-gomes.html

The Braves have interest in Jonny Gomes, report Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Earlier this afternoon we heard that Atlanta may be nearing a deal for a right-handed bat, which Gomes is.

Fred Lewis has been getting more and more playing time in left field for the Reds, which is why Gomes is available. He's hitting just .213/.339/.408 this year overall, but he's crushing left-handed pitchers: .340/.446/.547 in 65 plate appearances.

redsfaninbsg
07-20-2011, 06:37 PM
If anybody is stupid enough to pay his salary, I would give him away.

RedsManRick
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
If Dusty would limit his use to lefties, he'd be an asset. Sadly...

Griffey012
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Does Gomes really only have 65 PA's against Lefties? Seems like very little.

redsfaninbsg
07-20-2011, 06:42 PM

I agree, but that's not going to happen. Thus, ship him out and let Heisey play more.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Can anyone imagine a deal that would make sense for both teams that involves the Reds receiving Derek Lowe and the Braves receiving Jonny Gomes and Francisco Cordero? The $15M in 2012 would be hard to finagle, but if the Reds could obtain a serviceable* starter and a big-time prospect for just Gomes and Cordero, I'd have to consider it.

*Lowe might not be a serviceable starter.
*The Braves would love to get rid of Lowe for some salary relief.

Brutus
07-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Can anyone imagine a deal that would make sense for both teams that involves the Reds receiving Derek Lowe and the Braves receiving Jonny Gomes and Francisco Cordero? The $15M in 2012 would be hard to finagle, but if the Reds could obtain a serviceable* starter and a big-time prospect for just Gomes and Cordero, I'd have to consider it.

*Lowe might not be a serviceable starter.
*The Braves would love to get rid of Lowe for some salary relief.

While long-term they would save some dollars by doing that, they're worried about now not later, so they wouldn't have much other incentive for doing that -- especially since their bullpen is loaded.

alexad
07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
I like JG. But if we can get something for him I would do it. After the season if no one wants him we can always resign him.

mth123
07-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Yep, instead they'll deal him for nothing in an effort to be as woeful against lefty pitching as they are righties.

Brutus
07-20-2011, 07:53 PM

He kind of has... or at least much more than he was.

PA by month:

April (104)
May (68)
June (62)
July (23) -- on pace for about 35-40

Clearly Dusty has stopped using Gomes except for against primarily LHP and spot starts against righties.

OldXOhio
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Shhhh the ATL may be listening.

edabbs44
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
He kind of has... or at least much more than he was.

PA by month:

April (104)
May (68)
June (62)
July (23) -- on pace for about 35-40

Clearly Dusty has stopped using Gomes except for against primarily LHP and spot starts against righties.

Yes, yes he has. The only way JG sees legit time vs RHP on this team going fwd is if the field flops or there are crazy injuries.

OesterPoster
07-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Interesting. Isn't his bobblehead night coming up...against Atlanta?

mth123
07-20-2011, 08:58 PM
The Braves will probably use him right and he'll be a real asset. A platoon of Eric Hinske and Jonny Gomes might be one of the 3 or 4 the most productive LF in the NL.

Brutus
07-20-2011, 09:06 PM

You make it sound like he's hitting .550.

He's a guy hitting lefties nearly 1.000 for just over $1 million a year. That's an awfully good value if used properly (and the past few months, he's been used more in that context).

Patrick Bateman
07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I actually have no issue with Gomes right now, because as mentioned he's being used on the proper context. Between him and Heisey, they make for a reasonable platoon considering Heisey's success vs. righties and struggles vs. lefties.

Lewis is the guy who is quickly finding himself out of a role.
I'd only move Gomes if I can get something of real value for him.

PuffyPig
07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

When I was an alter boy in Eastern Canada, our parish priest seemed to think that "a coke and a bag of chips" had real value??

REDblooded
07-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I actually have no issue with Gomes right now, because as mentioned he's being used on the proper context. Between him and Heisey, they make for a reasonable platoon considering Heisey's success vs. righties and struggles vs. lefties.

Pretty much this... If only Dusty forcing the issue early didn't cause him to fall out of favor so quickly this season.

OldXOhio
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
When I was an alter boy in Eastern Canada, our parish priest seemed to think that "a coke and a bag of chips" had real value??

Awesome

cumberlandreds
07-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I would consider real value for Gomes as a nice assortment of batting practices balls. If the Braves offer that I would jump on it.

RedFanAlways1966
07-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Anyone remember the last time theses two teams made a trade and it worked out in the favor the Cincinnati team? If this does happen, I'd expect Johnny to be on the NL All-Star team next year in that Atlanta uniform. And best of luck to the sucker(s) that trade in their Atlanta uniform for a Cincinnati uniform... in whatever non-baseball career they have chosen in 2 to 3 years.

;)

WrongVerb
07-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Anyone remember the last time theses two teams made a trade and it worked out in the favor the Cincinnati team? If this does happen, I'd expect Johnny to be on the NL All-Star team next year in that Atlanta uniform. And best of luck to the sucker(s) that trade in their Atlanta uniform for a Cincinnati uniform... in whatever non-baseball career they have chosen in 2 to 3 years.

;)

Brett Boone begat Neagle begat Wily Mo begat Arroyo

dsmith421
07-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Jung Bong is tanned, rested, and ready when the Reds call.

RedFanAlways1966
07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Brett Boone begat Neagle begat Wily Mo begat Arroyo

:lol:

lol... good one, Dan. We will have to defer to "The Elite 10" here at RZ to see if this counts.

BCubb2003
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Milt Pappas for Clay Carroll and Woody Woodward?

15fan
07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
If you ask Braves fans, most of them would say that the Reds won the Bong & Nelson for Reitsma trade. In 15 years of living here, Dan Kolb is the only guy I've seen them turn on faster than Reitsma.

Boone for Neagle was awesome. Especially when the Braves turned Boone into a year of Reggie Sanders (and Quilvio Veras!). Nothing will ever even the ledger for watching Reggie single-handedly apply the brakes on the train that was the 95 Reds.

But Reggie and his .705 OPS killed many rallies for the 2000 Braves.

Tom Servo
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Jung Bong is tanned, rested, and ready when the Reds call.
Wither Bubba Nelson?

WrongVerb
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
:lol:

lol... good one, Dan. We will have to defer to "The Elite 10" here at RZ to see if this counts.

Well, that same trade also netted us Rob Bell, who in turn begat Edwin Encarnacion, who begat Scott Rolen.

And the trade that brought us Boone was Dan Wilson and Bobby Ayala for Boone and Eric Hansen.

REDREAD
07-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I can't see this trade being made.

Gomes is a cheap, and useful role player.
Why trade him and help out the Braves (who in theory we are competing against for the WildCard)

The Braves would have to overpay, which I doubt they would. They are most likely trying to get someone like Gomes for another Matt Belisle type.
(Mercker for Belisle was another trade we got the short end of the stick on).

guttle11
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't see this trade being made.

Gomes is a cheap, and useful role player.
Why trade him and help out the Braves (who in theory we are competing against for the WildCard)

The Braves would have to overpay, which I doubt they would. They are most likely trying to get someone like Gomes for another Matt Belisle type.
(Mercker for Belisle was another trade we got the short end of the stick on).

Cheap and useful role players grow on trees in Louisville. Seppelt and Hermida can do what Gomes does. If someone wants Gomes and offers you any type of prospect, you do the deal.

RollyInRaleigh
07-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Milt Pappas for Clay Carroll and Woody Woodward?

That was a good trade, for sure.