PDA

View Full Version : If you had to improve the team how would you do it?

Wonderful Monds
07-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Let's say going off the rumors out there, what would you take that was available?

I really like that we're linked to both Ubaldo Jiminez and James Shields. Obviously in real life we'd only get one, but in my opinion, if we want to dominant, we should be seriously pursuing both of them. That's what Philly has done. The best teams need to have a lot of the best pitching.

I would probably do...

Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Yasmani Grandal
For
James Shields

For Ubaldo I would go

Travis Wood, Edinson Volquez, Dave Sappelt, Billy Hamilton

I'm not sure if more would be needed. I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to give up Mesoraco at all. It would be nice to have a little something left in the pipeline.

Then to help out the lineup, I would go for

Juan Duran, Josh Smith, Donnie Joseph
For
Carlos Beltran

I would also like to get a reliever, but a true upgrade, not any of the names we've been linked to. A true hammer like Heath Bell. If we could expand the Colorado deal to include Huston Street, I would give up Yorman Rodriguez.

But I think those are good deals that would put us directly into WS contention and would keep us there for several years, as the only one we would lose after this year is Beltran.

webbbj
07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
sit pat at the deadline is probably the best option. the team is good enough as is to win the division.

mu4103
07-21-2011, 10:45 PM
sit pat at the deadline is probably the best option. the team is good enough as is to win the division.

Where did that come from? The team is 4 games behind the Pirates.

mroby85
07-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I'd go hard after primarily Hunter Pence, and James Shields if that were at all possible.

Eric the Red
07-21-2011, 11:09 PM
I would trade Johnny Gomes for whatever Atlanta wants to give. I would trade Yonder Alonso, Ryan Hanigan, Travis Wood and Daniel Corcino to Tampa Bay for James Shields. Then I would promote Devin Mesoraco.

LexRedsFan
07-21-2011, 11:21 PM
In a vacuum, I would go for Hunter Pence.

But ultimately, we don't live in a vacuum and the price IMO will be way too high for Pence...and Shields/Jiminez gives us the best value in a trade.

FireDusty
07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't trade anybody.

I would try and trade Gomes and Lewis. If I couldn't, I would release them both.

I would then call up Dave Sappelt & Yonder Alonzo to fill the void.

I would then release Edgar Renteria, bring Yanish up to be what he is...a backup SS.

As much as I like Cairo, come on...he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to be a coach. If he insist in wanting to play, I would arrange a trade, or give him his release. In his place, I would call up Todd Frazier.

As much as I like Scott Rolen, come on..he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to remain for the rest of the year and then ask him to retire.

That's for starters.

Stray
07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
I heard Sappelt has really came back down to Earth recently, I don't follow our minor leagues much so not sure. Alonso is best suited as trade bait IMO.

I'd go for a bat behind Votto. Hunter Pence.

R_Webb18
07-22-2011, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't trade anybody. i disagree with this

I would try and trade Gomes and Lewis. If I couldn't, I would release them both. i agree

I would then call up Dave Sappelt & Yonder Alonzo to fill the void. sure for dave s trade alonzo

I would then release Edgar Renteria, bring Yanish up to be what he is...a backup SS. agree

As much as I like Cairo, come on...he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to be a coach. If he insist in wanting to play, I would arrange a trade, or give him his release. In his place, I would call up Todd Frazier.
disagree wtf? obv hes not the future but whoever said he was? why bring up ppl at there young age 2 just sit.

As much as I like Scott Rolen, come on..he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to remain for the rest of the year and then ask him to retire.

not gonna happen
That's for starters.

brm7675
07-22-2011, 05:25 PM
I do what it takes to get Shields from TB, Pence from Houston and Jiminez from the Rockies. I see the Reds parting with Devin M, Yonder, Fraizer, Wood, Leake, Homer, Stubbs and maybe Chapman, but I do it.

Todd Gack
07-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Trade Ramon, bring us Meso. to get ready for next year.

Bring up Alonso and while he'll play a horrible LF, at least get him AB's on the MLB level.

Trade CoCo and offer to pay his salary the rest of the year (you're already paying it, so it'll make his value much better). Put Ondrusek or Masset in closer role to see what they can do.

wlf WV
07-22-2011, 05:44 PM
I go after Shields.We can't compete in the free agent market and we need a TOR starter.I don't sell the farm for rentals.You add now to compete in post season,which is highly unlikely for the Reds.We build for next year.I don't give up Mesoraco unless I sign Hernandez for next year,and I keep Volquez .Volquez has too much potential to give away.I hold him unless he becomes an important component of a deal.I would deal Mesoraco if he is the principal prospect involved and little else,that's the only scenario.Put out feelers for all the players I don't expect to use next year.

Vottomatic
07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
1. Trade Hernandez to the Giants for their top pitching prospect, Surkamp. Bring up Mesoraco and tell other teams he's not longer a prospect but our main catcher, so he's not available.
2. Trade Alonso and Grandal for Shields.
3. Trade Wood & Bailey, Francisco, Valaika to Rockies for Jimenez
4. Trade Gomes to the Braves for PTBNL.
5. Trade Stubbs, EV, and Chapman for Matt Kemp.

Rotation:
Cueto
Jimenez
Shields
Leake
Arroyo

BO:
LF Sappelt
SS Cozart
1B Votto
CF Kemp
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
3B Rolen
C Hanoraco

World Series here we come!

brm7675
07-22-2011, 07:03 PM
1. Trade Hernandez to the Giants for their top pitching prospect, Surkamp. Bring up Mesoraco and tell other teams he's not longer a prospect but our main catcher, so he's not available.

Why would the Giants do that?

2. Trade Alonso and Grandal for Shields.

It will take way more for that, remove Grandal, insert Mesoraco and another prospect

3. Trade Wood & Bailey, Francisco, Valaika to Rockies for Jimenez

Again need more to get him, much more

4. Trade Gomes to the Braves for PTBNL.

if they are dumb enough to take him

5. Trade Stubbs, EV, and Chapman for Matt Kemp.

I would rather have Pence, and remove Chapman and insert Bailey and Stubbs for Pence

Rotation:
Cueto
Jimenez
Shields
Leake
Arroyo

BO:
LF Sappelt

No chance that kid is EVER a starter with the Reds, will struggle to be a 4th OF on this team
SS Cozart
1B Votto
CF Kemp
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
3B Rolen
C Hanoraco

World Series here we come!

Old NDN
07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd begin by putting Chapman in the rotation. Let him start to "stretch it out" here. If he goes 3-5 innings, it isn't a lot different than a bad start from one of the others. I would pull the trigger on Shields or Jimenez. Prospects can be replaced, you're not going to get the opportunity to add top shelf pitching very often, unless you have plenty of $$$ to buy you some. I'll take the good pitching over adding a bat. You'll win more games in the long run.

LeDoux
07-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I'd begin by putting Chapman in the rotation. Let him start to "stretch it out" here. If he goes 3-5 innings, it isn't a lot different than a bad start from one of the others. I would pull the trigger on Shields or Jimenez. Prospects can be replaced, you're not going to get the opportunity to add top shelf pitching very often, unless you have plenty of $$$ to buy you some. I'll take the good pitching over adding a bat. You'll win more games in the long run.

If Chapman keeps pitching like the majority of his post-recall outings, he'll be sitting around 25 pitches at the end of 3.

LexRedsFan
07-23-2011, 02:41 AM
If Chapman keeps pitching like the majority of his post-recall outings, he'll be sitting around 25 pitches at the end of 3.

No doubt. He could have gone out for another one tonight.

dcameron24
07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
If I'm the Reds I don't go crazy... remember this is still the team that won the division last year...

1. Hernandez to the Giants for Surkamp or another decent package. (The main point is to open a spot for Mesoraco to be called up)
2. Gomes to the Braves for whatever we can get (just to acquire any value would be amazing)
3. Alonso, Grandal and PTBNL to the Rays for BJ Upton (still young and a change of scenery could help him. Can play LF for us.)

If Cordero, Cairo, Lewis, etc have any value then move them while you can. I think we know that Cordero won't be here next year and Chapman is starting to prove that he can be the closer at least for the rest of the season. Ideally Chapman needs to be starting next year. Frazier, Heisey, etc can fill the bench spots that would be open from Cairo and Lewis.

abish1572
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Hire a new manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and tweak what we have, example:

Here's my batting order:

Chris Heisey
Zack Cozart
Jay Bruce
Brandon Phillips
Joey Votto
Scott Rollen
Drew Stubbs
Ryan Hanigan
pitcher

Starting Rotation:

Jonny Cueto
Homer Bailey
Dontrelle Willis
Bronson Arroyo
Travis Wood(Move Mike Leake to the Bullpen)

Roush's socks
07-23-2011, 10:58 PM
In general I like the team they have right now. But under the right conditions I would maybe consider any of the following:
1. Trade Alonso and other blocked AAA players for younger talent.
2. Trade Ramon and call up Mesoraco, but only if the deal was right.
3. Trading Coco is also tempting, but if the Reds wind up being in the race, who would be the closer?
4. Thwe real "go for the glory" trade would be Votto. If the Reds think he's going to jump ship eventually, why not move him now and maybe get something huge in return. Then give Alonso his chance. Obviously this could backfire in a huge way since Votto is badass and you probably wouldn't get equal value.

tobttr
07-23-2011, 11:10 PM

"The team" you refer to is the Reds? Cincinnati?? This year???
Or are you just being sarcastic & I didn't catch on?

nux fan
07-24-2011, 02:34 AM
fire the manager

SwingKing01
07-24-2011, 03:00 AM
How about trade Hernandez for Melky? He has had a solid year with no signs of slowing down, with three multi-hit games in his last six and hitting .375 in July. Played on winning squads before and has a great additude. Or trade Alonso or Fransisco for him.
Sit Stubbs for Heisey, if you trade Hernandez you bring Meso up, but I wouldn't be hurt to send Alonso away for Cabrera who is only 26. Lineup looks something like this:

Cabrera
Heisey
Votto
Phillips
Rolen (Frazier)
Hernandez(Meso)
Bruce
Renteria
P

Could change it up, and of course if Cozart comes back then you could bat him closer to the top, Cabrera fits in the 5 hole too.

The DARK
07-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Step 1: DL Arroyo. His velocity is down, and his command just hasn't been there all season. Mono may have affected him more than he likes to admit, and a bit of rehab and strengthening could do him wonders. Volquez and Wood have been performing well in AAA, and they deserve a chance to set things right in the majors.

Step 2: Deal Hernandez for prospects. There's always a market for hot-hitting veteran catchers, especially in a down season for them like this one. It would further strengthen our farm system and allow for a Mesoraco promotion, which could solve our cleanup problem if he succeeds.

Step 3: Make an offer that can't be refused on Shields. He profiles as well as any pitcher possibly can in transition: a high GB% into the hands of the best defensive infield in baseball, switching from the dangerous AL east to the puny NL central, and in one of the best contract situations in baseball. It would probably take a deal like Grandal, Alonso, Wood, Volquez, and Heisey to do it, and many would see it as overpaying, but it's the kind of move that we're in a perfect position to make.

Step 4: Promote the hell out of the team. Everyone is ready to be done with the Bengals, and having a major trade and the defending MVP is a good thing to have on your side. It seems like a minor thing, but putting more fans in the seats is the first step towards both an increased payroll and more team mojo.

Step 5: After running him out some more, test the waters on a Chapman trade. It's going to be a long road converting him into a remotely polished starter, and we have so many options there that he'll have a hard time forcing his way through. It could be easy to lure in a trading partner that either has the time to convert him or sees him as a closer of the future. We should be looking at a future 3rd baseman in return to balance out the loss of Rolen.

BluegrassRedleg
07-24-2011, 11:15 PM
For Ubaldo I would go

Travis Wood, Edinson Volquez, Dave Sappelt, Billy Hamilton

You would be taken to the cleaners. Colorado front office would have one of those Cialus "4-hour moments" if they were offered that.