PDA

View Full Version : Joseph D. Votto, a catcher, drafted by Reds in 2nd round

Blitz Dorsey
07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Flashback to 9 years ago and the 2002 Reds draft. They completely botched their first two picks, taking Chris Gruler with the #3 overall pick (many thought the Reds were "punting" the pick since they didn't have the money to pay someone who deserved to be taken that high) and then taking Mark Schramek with their supplemental first-round pick.

However, they got it right when the second-round rolled around. They drafted someone who is listed here as Joseph D. Votto, a catcher. Funny stuff. I had no idea Joey was a catcher in high school. I'm sure he played other positions too (like every good player does for their high school team ... hell, he probably pitched some too) but it's interesting he was officially listed as a catcher when the Reds drafted him:

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=cin&year=2002

I knew Votto was a second-round pick and I remember the Gruler disaster in the first round. But I had forgotten they happened the same year. Funny how things work out.

WrongVerb
07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
If you ever want to torture yourself, take a stroll back through some of the brutal drafts in the 1990s and 2000s, and see who the Reds could have had instead of who they picked.

Probably the worst draft for any team in the history of baseball: Reds 1996 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?team_ID=CIN&year_ID=1996&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year).

Benihana
07-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Flashback to 9 years ago and the 2002 Reds draft. They completely botched their first two picks, taking Chris Gruler with the #3 overall pick (many thought the Reds were "punting" the pick since they didn't have the money to pay someone who deserved to be taken that high) and then taking Mark Schramek with their supplemental first-round pick.

However, they got it right when the second-round rolled around. They drafted someone who is listed here as Joseph D. Votto, a catcher. Funny stuff. I had no idea Joey was a catcher in high school. I'm sure he played other positions too (like every good player does for their high school team ... hell, he probably pitched some too) but it's interesting he was officially listed as a catcher when the Reds drafted him:

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=cin&year=2002

I knew Votto was a second-round pick and I remember the Gruler disaster in the first round. But I had forgotten they happened the same year. Funny how things work out.

Gruler wasn't perceived as "punting the pick"- that was Jeremy Sowers the previous year. Gruler and Kazmir were neck-in-neck the candidates for that selection, but the Reds took Gruler because he "had a better curveball than Tom Seaver" according to Johnny Bench. Kazmir who was viewed as a slightly tougher sign slipped to the Mets, and the rest is history. I was up in arms on Redszone over this choice. Schramek in the Sandwich round was seen as a giant reach for signability purposes.

Votto was viewed as a catcher who would "probably move to 3B" when he was drafted. At the time he was also considered a reach, although 20-20 hindsight Yankee reporting indicates they were ready to pounce on him if the Reds didn't.

Benihana
07-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Probably the worst draft for any team in the history of baseball: Reds 1996 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?team_ID=CIN&year_ID=1996&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year).

Wow, that was brutal! Strange that 2 of their top 3 picks (McClendon and Carlyle) ended up in the Braves organization, especially since they were comp picks for the loss of Ron Gant.

RedsManRick
07-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Wow, that was brutal! Strange that 2 of their top 3 picks (McClendon and Carlyle) ended up in the Braves organization, especially since they were comp picks for the loss of Ron Gant.

I wonder if anybody has had a draft where not a single player reached the majors...

WrongVerb
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM

I think I remember being rather upset when Carlyle was traded for the great fireballer Marc Kroon. Jimbo loved his flame-throwers, that's for sure.

WrongVerb
07-22-2011, 12:33 PM

The other thing that gets me about that year is that every player without a (minors) link next to their name not only didn't sign with the Reds, no other team picked them up (either later or as free agents) to play in their minor league system. That's 3/4 of the Reds' picks. Contrast that with the Reds 1999 where at least every pick ended up playing in the minors.

PuffyPig
07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
The Reds had the money to sign Gruler as demonstrated when they did sign him.

Kazmir was well liked on the board, but had signability issues, was considered an injury risk, and some thought he might end up as a reliever. He fell quite far so many teams felt the same way.

Gruler was a high end prospect, but injuries ended it for him. It wasn't, at the time, considered a particularly poor pick.

Matt700wlw
07-22-2011, 12:42 PM
From here on out, we will refer to Joey Votto as, Joseph D. Votto.

George Anderson
07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Gruler was a high end prospect, but injuries ended it for him. It wasn't, at the time, considered a particularly poor pick.

If I recall Johnny Bench said Gruler was going to be another Tom Seaver.

_Sir_Charles_
07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
From here on out, we will refer to Joey Votto as, Joseph D. Votto.

That's MR. Joseph D. Votto, if you please.

Blitz Dorsey
07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
The Reds had the money to sign Gruler as demonstrated when they did sign him.

Kazmir was well liked on the board, but had signability issues, was considered an injury risk, and some thought he might end up as a reliever. He fell quite far so many teams felt the same way.

Right, like I said, the Reds had the money to sign Gruler. But they obviously didn't have the money to sign the player (Kazmir) that should have been taken in that spot. If you're not taking the best player on the board, then it's all about signability. "Punting" the pick is a bit strong, but Gruler was still viewed as a reach from day one. But hey, that draft went from disaster-to-success just based on Votto alone.

batsfan
07-22-2011, 01:11 PM
We also drafted Nick Markakis as a pitcher in the 23rd round...

medford
07-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I wonder if anybody has had a draft where not a single player reached the majors...

I'll guess yes. The fail rate is so high its had to have happened several times would be my guess.

getting just 1 guy as valuable as Votto makes that a very solid draft class. Had Grueler stayed healthy and made an impact in the show, that would have been an outstanding draft.

reds44
07-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Dude is going to be a bust. Too soft.

CTA513
07-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Dude is going to be a bust. Too soft.

Can't field and he won't be able to hit major league pitching with his swing.

medford
07-22-2011, 02:50 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?team_ID=ATL&year_ID=1981&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year

RedLegsToday
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
In the Reds 2001 draft, the only 2 players to make the majors were players that didn't sign with the Reds (Sowers and Markakis).

chicoruiz
07-22-2011, 05:44 PM
What made the 1996 draft so galling is the Oliver, the #1 pick, suffered from night blindness. Every team has picks that don't pan out, but that sure seemed to be a case of the Reds Marge-depleted scouting department not doing its due diligence. Thank God those days are over.

MartyFan
07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Had Grueler not encountered the injuries he did chances are he would have been a pretty decent pitcher.

gonelong
07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
What made the 1996 draft so galling is the Oliver, the #1 pick, suffered from night blindness. Every team has picks that don't pan out, but that sure seemed to be a case of the Reds Marge-depleted scouting department not doing its due diligence. Thank God those days are over.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?team_ID=CIN&year_ID=1996&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?team_ID=CIN&year_ID=1996&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year)

Negative WAR for that draft. Yikes!

GL