PDA

View Full Version : Bruce out of lineup-Sheldon thinks something is up

icehole3
07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/333990/jay-bruce-out-of-the-reds-lineup-on-friday

Jay Bruce is not in the Reds' Friday evening lineup against the Braves.
In the estimation of beat writer Mark Sheldon, "something must be up," as Bruce is 5-for-9 (.556) with a home run lifetime against the Braves' scheduled starter Jair Jurrjens. His status should be updated in short order. :)

CTA513
07-22-2011, 04:52 PM
traded to the Mariners for Figgins

:fineprint:

klw
07-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Per Fay http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/07/22/nothing-close-on-trade-front/

A Reds insider told me earlier that club was not close to any deals. “That can change quickly,” he said.

The Reds have discussed Hunter Pence and Carlos Beltran. But Beltran, in particular, is expensive.

I would not be surprised if the Reds wait until closer to the deadline before making a deal. With all the talk about James Shields and Ubaldo Jimenez, I’m not sure that a hitter isn’t a bigger priority.

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/333990/jay-bruce-out-of-the-reds-lineup-on-friday

Jay Bruce is not in the Reds' Friday evening lineup against the Braves.
In the estimation of beat writer Mark Sheldon, "something must be up," as Bruce is 5-for-9 (.556) with a home run lifetime against the Braves' scheduled starter Jair Jurrjens. His status should be updated in short order. :)

If they trade Bruce at all anything else they do is inconsequential to me from here on out. But my gut says no way would they do that, must be a Dusty thing or Jay not feeling well etc.

redsfaninbsg
07-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Unless Jay is sick, Dusty has turned into a little league coach feeling that he needs to play every player.

dougdirt
07-22-2011, 04:55 PM
There is nothing up other than Bruce is not feeling well (be it sick or sore). They aren't trading him at any point in the near future.

klw
07-22-2011, 04:56 PM
johnfayman John Fay
Don't know on Bruce. He's had success off Jurrgens. Must be hurting, sick. #reds

klw
07-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Dizzy spells per Fay per Sheldon

johnfayman John Fay
I'm not the park. But Mark Sheldon tweeted that Bruce is having dizzy spells, thus out the lineup. #reds

Rotoworld
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4196/jay-bruce

Updating an earlier item, Jay Bruce's absence from the Reds lineup on Friday is due to dizzy spells.
Good news for the Reds and Bruce's fantasy owners, as this doesn't sound like the kind of ailment that will sideline him for long. More than likely, he'll be back in the lineup on Saturday. His status should be updated again later this evening.

Tom Servo
07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
So we traded Bruce for Dizzy Spells.

icehole3
07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
why sit the only guy who'll more than likely get a hit tonight, he better have a broken bone sticking out of his skin

dougdirt
07-22-2011, 04:59 PM
why sit the only guy who'll more than likely get a hit tonight, he better have a broken bone sticking out of his skin

He is having dizzy spells. I figure that is probably a good enough reason to sit him.

CTA513
07-22-2011, 05:00 PM

They can cast the dizzy spells on opposing pitchers causing them to make bad pitches.

icehole3
07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
He is having dizzy spells. I figure that is probably a good enough reason to sit him.

we all posted at the same time, I get it now

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-22-2011, 05:04 PM
So Bruce is unavailable due to dizzy spells and Rolen is unavailable again due to injury.

And the Reds are sending the mono-weakened Bronson Arroyo out there against Jair Jurrjens?

What next?

Kc61
07-22-2011, 05:06 PM
So Bruce is unavailable due to dizzy spells and Rolen is unavailable again due to injury.

And the Reds are sending the mono-weakened Bronson Arroyo out there against Jair Jurrjens?

What next?

Sell?

Will M
07-22-2011, 05:11 PM
for those of you not in the Cincinnati area it is brutally hot here. 95+ and humid. if Jay is a little bit sick trying to play through it is a bad idea. Michael Brantley played a double header Monday, over heated & then missed the next 2 games. people who work/exercise outside can die of heat stroke in this kind of weather.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Sell?

Bang head against wall.

reds44
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Under pants would be an awesome acquisition. Not sure where he would hit in the lineup, though.

Brutus
07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
for those of you not in the Cincinnati area it is brutally hot here. 95+ and humid. if Jay is a little bit sick trying to play through it is a bad idea. Michael Brantley played a double header Monday, over heated & then missed the next 2 games. people who work/exercise outside can die of heat stroke in this kind of weather.

It's brutally hot everywhere in the Eastern half of the country lol

redsmetz
07-22-2011, 05:20 PM

What next?

Where on earth is Florence Nightingale when you need her?

Chip R
07-22-2011, 05:25 PM

It is pretty hot here today. However, it's hot for everybody and usually if a guy has success against a certain pitcher he's gonna be in there come hell or high water. Plus Jay is from the Houston area where heat and humidity are very common. These "dizzy spells" may be cover for Jay's recent problem of not hitting the cutoff man. IIRC, Marty and Brantley were saying during Wednesday's game that he has been told to hit the cutoff man at all times but he still refuses to do it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2443006&postcount=92 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2443006&postcount=92)

dougdirt
07-22-2011, 05:28 PM
It is pretty hot here today. However, it's hot for everybody and usually if a guy has success against a certain pitcher he's gonna be in there come hell or high water. Plus Jay is from the Houston area where heat and humidity are very common. These "dizzy spells" may be cover for Jay's recent problem of not hitting the cutoff man. IIRC, Marty and Brantley were saying during Wednesday's game that he has been told to hit the cutoff man at all times but he still refuses to do it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2443006&postcount=92 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2443006&postcount=92)

I hope not. You make that point at a different date, not when a guy has hit a pitcher very well at a time when your offense has been atrocious and you are facing one of the lowest ERA pitchers in the league.

corkedbat
07-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Under pants would be an awesome acquisition. Not sure where he would hit in the lineup, though.

I heard he was kinda streaky though. :D

Edskin
07-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Dizzy Spells (a long lost relative to Dizzy Dean by the way) is a very intruiging prospect. Tons of potential, and has been known to keep pitchers guessing, but rumor has it he has difficulty focusing.

In all seriousness, I would absolutely trade Gomes and/or Janish for Mr. Spells

Chip R
07-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I hope not. You make that point at a different date, not when a guy has hit a pitcher very well at a time when your offense has been atrocious and you are facing one of the lowest ERA pitchers in the league.

Maybe that's exactly when you make that point. Perhaps Dusty told him that if he keeps doing it he's going to be benched the next game regardless of whom is pitching. If the Reds lose tonight due to lack of offense, perhaps Jay may think that if he were in there things may have been different and he will hit that cutoff man from now on. This is just speculation but it smells funny to me that a young athlete like Jay who has had an entire day off before this game is having "dizzy spells." Fining players doesn't have the same effect it used to back before everyone started making big bucks. About the only motivational tool a manager/coach has is the bench. Everyone wants to play so if you are trying to make a point with a player, not playing them may get their attention quicker than fining them.

Strikes Out Looking
07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Is Dizzy Spells a pitcher? What's his contract status?

On a serious note, why is Bruce having this dizziness? Might it be heat related?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
If Bruce is having dizzy spells, playing right field in a game that Bronson Arroyo is pitching probably isn't the best idea, what with all the head-turning and balls sailing left, right and overhead.

RichRed
07-22-2011, 05:53 PM

I was hoping we'd go after his brother, Daffy Spells.

klw
07-22-2011, 05:54 PM
On a serious note, why is Bruce having this dizziness? Might it be heat related?

Nick Esasky visited the team in Pittsburgh and Bruce contracted his vertigo through a handshake.

RBA
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Nick Esasky visited the team in Pittsburgh and Bruce contracted his vertigo through a handshake.

I was about to mention Esasky. He ended his career with the Braves?

TeamBoone
07-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe the entire team needs to be benched for swing at the first pitch... etc.

reds44
07-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Why would Bruce hit the cutoff man when he had a real shot of nailing the guy at third?

edabbs44
07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Why would Bruce hit the cutoff man when he had a real shot of nailing the guy at third?

Jay is becoming a little to enamored with his arm.

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
All kidding aside, "dizzy spells" can be serious. Vertigo is pretty miserable. I hope that's not what Bruce has.

corkedbat
07-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Dizzy Spells (a long lost relative to Dizzy Dean by the way) is a very intruiging prospect. Tons of potential, and has been known to keep pitchers guessing, but rumor has it he has difficulty focusing.

In all seriousness, I would absolutely trade Gomes and/or Janish for Mr. Spells

Ironically, I heard he couldn't spell that well either. :)

reds44
07-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Jay is becoming a little to enamored with his arm.
The guy ended up beating the throw by a hair. It's not like it was an awful throw. It was actually a perfect throw.

Chip R
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM

So the batter doesn't go to 2nd.

I(heart)Freel
07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Breaking news: MLB is investigating Dizzy Spells for lying about his age. Stay tuned. Could be a suspension in the coming days.

dougdirt
07-22-2011, 06:34 PM
The guy ended up beating the throw by a hair. It's not like it was an awful throw. It was actually a perfect throw.

Much less in a game in which we didn't score a run....

reds44
07-22-2011, 06:38 PM
So the batter doesn't go to 2nd.
So you should never try to throw a guy out in fear of a guy advancing a base? That's not smart baseball.

RedRoser
07-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Whatever it is, did Cozart catch it too? He was listed in the starting lineup earlier, but now it's been changed to Renteria.

RedRoser
07-22-2011, 07:20 PM
sorry

Brutus
07-22-2011, 07:57 PM
It feels like Jay's involvement with Dizzy Spells is a subject better to be discussed on another portion of this site lol

corkedbat
07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
If there is ONE plyer in the organization that is untradeable, it's Bruce. Not that he's untouchable, the most talented guy on the team, not even because of his affordable contract and team control into his FA years.

No, simply because he is the only legitimate Major League corner OFer in the entire system. You already seriously need a LFer and probably can't afford the quality you need. Why would you create another hole?

klw
07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I was about to mention Esasky. He ended his career with the Braves?

Correct. Cincy to Boston where he had a great season. Signed with the Braves as a free agent and only got in about 10 games.

Ron Madden
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
It feels like Jay's involvement with Dizzy Spells is a subject better to be discussed on another portion of this site lol

I think this is an unfair statement.

Brutus
07-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I think this is an unfair statement.

It was a joke, playing off the earlier theme in this thread about the 'who's this dizzy spells fellow'...

I thought the "lol" would be a signal it was joking.

Ron Madden
07-22-2011, 10:43 PM
My mistake.

Brutus
07-22-2011, 11:06 PM
My mistake.

No biggie. It happens.