PDA

View Full Version : Cozart is the leadoff hitter of the future

Blitz Dorsey
07-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Seems pretty clear to me. Agree or disagree?

Brutus
07-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Seems pretty clear to me. Agree or disagree?

His OBP is a career .332 in the minors.

I'm going to say disagree.

Tom Servo
07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Small sample size.

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Disagree for sure. He's not ever shown great discipline or contact rate. He has solid speed and I ain't saying he can't improve and become decent in some of these other ways but it's unlikely.

Blitz Dorsey
07-22-2011, 10:44 PM
His OBP is a career .332 in the minors.

I'm going to say disagree.

Too high for Dusty's liking?

Blitz Dorsey
07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Disagree for sure. He's not ever shown great discipline or contact rate. He has solid speed and I ain't saying he can't improve and become decent in some of these other ways but it's unlikely.

Not saying he's ideal, but there really aren't a lot of legit candidates when you look at the roster the next couple years. (Unless we trade for someone.) Stubbs is the next-best option and I think he's destined to be a #5 or #6 hitter in the lineup.

reds44
07-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Dude has a .332 minor league on base and has yet to walk in the majors.

lollipopcurve
07-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Disagree. Sappelt or someone from they trade for.

Mario-Rijo
07-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Disagree. Sappelt or someone from they trade for.

Agree Sappelt has a pretty solid chance to be if they are ok with him playing LF and since they have power in CF already they should be.

Superdude
07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
shortstop bats second man...it's basic knowledge.

edabbs44
07-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Let the hype machine begin...

reds44
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I think Gomes should leadoff. I hear he has good splits when starting and facing good pitchers who pitch on good teams.

corkedbat
07-22-2011, 11:01 PM

If he can keep his OBP up, he might be a decent two-hole player. If not, I think he can bat eighth with a decent OPS. That ain't bad. I'm still not willing to annoint him the Savior @ SS just yet though.

edabbs44
07-22-2011, 11:28 PM
I think Gomes should leadoff. I hear he has good splits when starting and facing good pitchers who pitch on good teams.

His OBP is about 30 pts higher than today's leadoff hitter...

Blitz Dorsey
07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, that's true, Sappelt would be an interesting option looking ahead. But other than him, there really aren't any legit candidates besides Cozart and Stubbs.

dougdirt
07-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Disagree completely. I like Cozart, but he is much more likely to be a .260-.270 hitter. Also, I wouldn't waste his power in the leadoff spot if I didn't have to.

mth123
07-23-2011, 04:16 AM
I like Cozart more than most on here. Pre-season I had him as the Reds third best prospect behind Chapman and Mesoraco. I think he has the stuff to be a contributing but not primary bat who holds down a key defensive spot capably. He can do that at a position where many of the guys who have the defense to hold up daily just don't have the offense to be more than a negative in the line-up. For me that is more valuable than having an uber tool like Juan Francisco's power or Billy Hamilton's speed. Its also better than being a decent bat at a position where you have to be an MVP candidate to be in the top third of your postion. For that reason I'm very excited by the start of Cozart's career and think the Reds will be capably manned (but not spectacularly) at SS for the next several years.

With all that in mind, lets make it clear that Cozart's future is probably as a number 7 or 8 hitter who can run a little and provide enough occassional power to have to be taken seriously by the opposing pitcher. He's not the kind of guy who will be a primary offensive player. He could probably hit 2nd on some teams, but it probably means the line-up is weak or the manager is miscasting his players. He can be a solid every day performer IMO, but if he's hitting above 7th in the line-up its more an indication that the line-up is lacking.

corkedbat
07-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah, that's true, Sappelt would be an interesting option looking ahead. But other than him, there really aren't any legit candidates besides Cozart and Stubbs.

The way he's hitting, Torreyes may be here by Labor Day. :laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Let's see how he adjusts after going through the league one time and they start pitching to his weaknesses.