PDA

View Full Version : How about BJ Upton?

dcameron24
07-23-2011, 09:45 AM
BJ Upton was pulled from the game last night and the Rays have recalled Desmond Jennings. Everyone is assuming this is the final indicator that Upton will be traded.

Why not make a run at him?

I know he has a reputation for being a headcase, but a change of scenery may be what he needs. He's been a 3-4 WAR player over his career. You aren't going to get a .300 hitter out of him, but he consistently puts up 15HR, 70RBI, 40SB and is a pretty good defender. He also fits in with Walt's ideas to make us better now with out mortgaging the future since he is still only 27.

Would you make a run at him? What do you think it would cost?

What about Alonso, Grandal and a lower prospect for Upton?

My ideal Lineup:
SS Cozart
LF Upton
1B Votto
2B Phillips
RF Bruce
3B Rolen
C Hanigan/Hernandez
CF Stubbs

berryluther
07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
How about Alonso, Grandal, Wood and Volquez for Upton and Shields?

BEETTLEBUG
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I like that berryluther cause i thought i read Alonzo's contract said he had to be on 25-man roster in 2012 or else.

dcameron24
07-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not very confident in Shields performance this year. For what it would cost I think it's hard to justify, because it would be the definition of buying high on someone.

His BABIP is way out of whack compared to his career norms. I'm not a sabermetric expert, but his career norm has been around .300 which I believe is right on average. This year it's at .259 which I think accounts for his performance so far. Also, his HR/9 is way down compared to normal, which could be because he's figured out how to keep the ball down, but his GB rate is right on his career average. Doesn't make sense to me... but like I said I'm not very hip to Sabermetrics.

If I'm going to go big for a pitcher then it's Jimenez. Like Cliff Lee last year... go big or go home.

webbbj
07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
if i was the reds making a trade it be for shields not upton unless i could get both.

berryluther
07-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I think the deal gives the Reds the best option of getting a bat and a starter without giving up 6 prospects or eating salary. Upton has had his ups and downs but he also has flashes of brilliance. He carried that team to the WS and I think he would fit nicely in GABP.

An outfield of Upton, Stubbs and Bruce would be the best defensive OF in Baseball.

IMHO I feel this would be the best deal they could make for both short term and long.

hhscarletgray
07-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Has anybody given a thought to the fact that the Reds just don't have it this year. I have seen enough of this team to realize that between Baker and the players at his disposal the Reds just are not a World Series contender. I would hate to give away the wealth of talent that the Reds have in the minor league system to try to win a game or maybe two in the playoffs. If they can get an ace that will be around for a while I am all for that, but renting a player seems just foolhardy. The Reds have enough worthy players in the farm system to give at least a decent shot at becoming legit big league talent. Why not spend the rest of the year seeing what we have and then go into free agency with a better idea of what we need. I also think going in fresh with the pieces in place with a manager that is not named Baker will be the best chance to not only win the division but make some noise in the playoffs. I love optimism, but sometimes it's better to be realistic. Selling the farm to get beat 3-1 in the NLDS does not seem like the best plan.

abish1572
07-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Has anybody given a thought to the fact that the Reds just don't have it this year. I have seen enough of this team to realize that between Baker and the players at his disposal the Reds just are not a World Series contender. I would hate to give away the wealth of talent that the Reds have in the minor league system to try to win a game or maybe two in the playoffs. If they can get an ace that will be around for a while I am all for that, but renting a player seems just foolhardy. The Reds have enough worthy players in the farm system to give at least a decent shot at becoming legit big league talent. Why not spend the rest of the year seeing what we have and then go into free agency with a better idea of what we need. I also think going in fresh with the pieces in place with a manager that is not named Baker will be the best chance to not only win the division but make some noise in the playoffs. I love optimism, but sometimes it's better to be realistic. Selling the farm to get beat 3-1 in the NLDS does not seem like the best plan.

Well said my friend! Couldn't have said it any better. I been stressing this alot lately

drowg14
07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
We already have a BJ Upton, his name is Drew Stubbs. Do you really want another tools guy who cant make contact and strikes out too much?

webbbj
07-23-2011, 02:22 PM

i agree, tho i would not pass up to get shields at the right price since we would have him for a few years.

I am a believer in this offense and think the problems with them protecting votto fall a lot on Bruce. He has got to be the guy that protects votto.

dcameron24
07-23-2011, 03:01 PM
We already have a BJ Upton, his name is Drew Stubbs. Do you really want another tools guy who cant make contact and strikes out too much?

That's why I think it would make sense if you split them up in the lineup.

Stubbs at leadoff and Upton at 2 would be dumb... although I'm sure that's what Dusty would do given the chance. :laugh:

dcameron24
07-23-2011, 03:05 PM

That was sort of my theory with acquiring Upton...

It could make us better now AND the future if it were to happen without mortgaging too much of the farm. Alonso is blocked by Votto and assuming Mesoraco is the real deal then Grandal is expendable.

It would also make giving up Heisey, Sappelt, etc in a deal for a pitcher a little easier knowing Upton, Stubbs and Bruce would be our outfield for the next couple years.

swaisuc
07-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Agree. Very similar players. Besides, Stubbs is younger, cheaper, and under team control for longer.

SidneySlicker
07-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Meh. I don't think many here are in favor of rental players especially ones worth selling the farm for. I think, at least I hope that the reds have enough foresight to bring in fairly young players who they can control over a few years. You say the reds have enough in the farm system to fill holes and I'll say that is a big fat negative.

1. They don't have a bonified duo at the top of the rotation and I want to see cueto do what he's doing for a full season before I'd call him a bonified #1. So I'd deal for a james sheilds or ubaldo jiminez.

2. The reds don't have a a third baseman. I see Todd frazier as having most value as a utility player. Cairo is getting long in the tooth and I see frazier taking over his role. Juan fransisco is just to inconsistant at the plate. I see another edwin encarnacion. So all of this is why I'm hoping the reds can trade for david wright. He'd be a little bit of a risk since he's had a rough year and he makes a salary in the mid teens, but he's still young 28 he's a proven allstar at the plate and in the field and the reds would controll him for two years with a team option for a third. I think wright would be revitalized in a new town not to mention a smaller market wwith less media scrutiny playing in a division up for grabs. He's been on a team which for most of his career wwas done before they started.

dcameron24
07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Just saying...

Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman
#Phillies some interest in Upton, but heard most calls to #Rays are #Nationals #Braves #Pirates,#Reds #Cardinals (if trade Rasmus for P)

FireDusty
07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
I'll pass. We already have a guy that strikes out 150 times with 20 homeruns.

Red Rover
07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll pass. We already have a guy that strikes out 150 times with 20 homeruns.

This year the Reds might have more than one. (Bruce, Votto & Stubbs)

Captain13
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
This year the Reds might have more than one. (Bruce, Votto & Stubbs)

and Gomes/Heisey if you count them as one player (or if you let one play every day).