PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 7/24

chicoruiz
07-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Reds:

Steve Larkin (38)- Has a higher career batting averge in the majors than his brother. He probably brings it up at every family gathering.

Joe Oliver (46)- According to similarity scores, the most similar batter in baseball history to Joe is Bo Diaz.

Others:

Barry Bonds (45)- I'm not saying he would have, could have, or should have, but if Bonds had played another year he would have crossed a bunch of statistical milestones: 3000 games, 10,000 ABs, 3000 hits, 2000 RBIs and maybe even 800 homers. Maybe 700 intentional walks, too...

Tommy McCarthy- In 1946, a bunch of 19th century players were tapped for the Hall of Fame. McCarthy was one of them, and looking at his record it's really hard to see why.

George Anderson
07-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Reds:

Steve Larkin (38)- Has a higher career batting averge in the majors than his brother. He probably brings it up at every family gathering.

Joe Oliver (46)- According to similarity scores, the most similar batter in baseball history to Joe is Bo Diaz.

Others:

Barry Bonds (45)- I'm not saying he would have, could have, or should have, but if Bonds had played another year he would have crossed a bunch of statistical milestones: 3000 games, 10,000 ABs, 3000 hits, 2000 RBIs and maybe even 800 homers. Maybe 700 intentional walks, too...

Tommy McCarthy- In 1946, a bunch of 19th century players were tapped for the Hall of Fame. McCarthy was one of them, and looking at his record it's really hard to see why.

I am friends with Joe Oliver on Facebook. He is working in real estate and is a varsity baseball coach in Orlando. His son was just drafted in like the 10th round by the Marlins.

cumberlandreds
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I never knew Barry Larkin had a brother that played in MLB. :dunno: Apparently not very long though.

Big Klu
07-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I never knew Barry Larkin had a brother that played in MLB. :dunno: Apparently not very long though.

Without looking it up, I believe Stephen played in exactly one game.

Redsfan320
07-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Without looking it up, I believe Stephen played in exactly one game.

Yeah, just one, a start at 1B. I think it's a bit famous for being the only time two pairs of brothers were the starting infield. (S. Larkin at 1B, Brett Boone at 2B, B. Larkin at SS, Aaron Boone at 3B.)

marcshoe
07-26-2011, 01:06 AM
I once saw Stephen Larkin almost take down a medical helicopter in class A. The old ballpark in Charleston was across from a hospital, and as a 'copter was coming in, S. Larkin hit a pop-up that for the life of me looked like it flew between the blades. I know it had to be an optical illusion, but for a moment....

Bob Borkowski
07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, just one, a start at 1B. I think it's a bit famous for being the only time two pairs of brothers were the starting infield. (S. Larkin at 1B, Brett Boone at 2B, B. Larkin at SS, Aaron Boone at 3B.)

This whole father/son, brother/brother thing in MLB interests me. For example, who are they over the history of baseball? How many consecutive generations has a family had someone in the bigs? Stuff like that.

Unless someone has a link, I guess I'll do a Google.

chicoruiz
07-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Only four players? I must have been busy (or lazy) a year ago today. Let's add one:

Cotton Nash (70) -He kicked around as a first baseman for a few years, but his baseball career wasn't much compared to his basketball career- he was UK's career leading scorer for a while and played in both the NBA and the ABA. One funny note; when he was being recruited out of high school in Lake Charles, Louisiana, one of the enticements UCLA offered him was a date with Jane Fonda.

alexad
07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

They did this during the last home game of the year. I was there. Just don't remember when. I think it was against the Pirates.

UKFlounder
07-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Was this before or after the year they lete Pete Jr. get a game at 3B? (I think Jack McKeown was managing and after seeing Petey play once, glued him to the bench the rest of the year, so it must have been 97, perhaps?)

Ah, the days of desperately searching for ways to attract interest in bad ballclubs...

They did this during the last home game of the year. I was there. Just don't remember when. I think it was against the Pirates.