PDA

View Full Version : Monday, 7/25/11 minor league updates

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Infielder Jose Castro has been promoted from Double-A Carolina to Triple-A Louisville to fill the spot vacated by recently-promoted infielder Paul Janish.

Outfielder Felix Perez has been placed on Carolina's temporary inactive list.

Infielder Didi Gregorious and outfielder Josh Fellhauer have been promoted from High-A Bakersfield to Double-A Carolina.

mace
07-25-2011, 10:32 AM
What kind of injury does Cody Puckett have, and how long is he expected to be out? (It's been a month already.)

Any word on the reason for the Perez thing?

Am surprised that Gregorius was the one promoted and not Brodie Greene. Guess they were looking for more of a pure SS. Is Rojas a long way from coming back?

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Puck and Jas should both be back in a little over a week. Puck is still rehabbing from a broken wrist while Jas is coming back from a shoulder injury.
Perez could be back in a few days.

Scrap Irony
07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Jas? Puck?

Is it too much to write their names, 21? The nickname thing is so tired.

(I fully realize this is coming from an older generation, but nicknames only work when everyone is in on it. It takes much longer to figure out who you're talking about and I feel like I'm reading a Facebook page. And get off my lawn. And i would have gotten away with it to, if not for you pesky kids. And all that.)

All that aside, having Puckett back is good news, though Henry Rodriguez has done very well at 2B. As a 21-year-old, he's done very, very well well below the radar.

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry to use the names that I, and their teammates, are used to calling them in person...

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 12:24 PM
And speaking of tired, I feel the same way. Not you, but other stuff.

Scrap Irony
07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry to use the names that I, and their teammates, are used to calling them in person...

It's a pet peeve from way back in Journalism 101. You tell the name, then give the nickname later in the same article. If it's a good, descriptive, colorful nickname. If it sucks as a nickname, come up with one yourself, steal one from another reporter, or just use his real name.

And plays on first and last names combined are extremely dated. Other than a case like YRod, where many different prospects own the Rodriguez surname, it should probably be ignored. (Personally, I like Stormin' Yorman better anyway.)

Now that I have that off my chest, I think I'm going to go back to my Ovaltine, afaghan, and All My Children.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2011, 12:42 PM
And speaking of tired, I feel the same way. Not you, but other stuff.
Take a nap, sleepyhead.

Plus Plus
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM

I understand and appreciate how close you are to these players but it makes it difficult for the more casual followers of minor league baseball (myself included) to understand the point that you are trying to get across.

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 12:52 PM
It's a pet peeve from way back in Journalism 101. You tell the name, then give the nickname later in the same article. If it's a good, descriptive, colorful nickname. If it sucks as a nickname, come up with one yourself, steal one from another reporter, or just use his real name.

And plays on first and last names combined are extremely dated. Other than a case like YRod, where many different prospects own the Rodriguez surname, it should probably be ignored. (Personally, I like Stormin' Yorman better anyway.)

Now that I have that off my chest, I think I'm going to go back to my Ovaltine, afaghan, and All My Children.

Of course I know you give the full name first and then go on with the last name for the rest of the article. If I was writing an article (or even a blog post) I would use that. However, since all I'm doing is trying to give quick insight to you guys I thought it wasn't that big of a deal, and would be informative, giving you guys an inside look that you would not usually have. That's something I thought people would love to have instead of using "Cody Puckett. Dave Sappelt." However, if you guys don't want that I'll be more than happy to refrain and not post anymore lol.
And is it a Nautical themed, Pashmina afaghan?

Scrap Irony
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I just don't want to have to wade through nicknames to get to the information. (Which is why I'm here. I don't give a crap what they call each other.)

And it's an octagonal pattern in repeating colors of red, orange, pink, and yellow. Plus black as a border.

medford
07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
I understand and appreciate how close you are to these players but it makes it difficult for the more casual followers of minor league baseball (myself included) to understand the point that you are trying to get across.

+1. The biggest problem is that many of us aren't close enough to the situation, or know the players well enough to have any sense of familarity w/ the nicknames of many players. Jas? = Rojas?

I appreciate the info, I honestly do but I get lost on the nicknames

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
They honestly are not rocket science. lol. The only one that is off the wall is Henry Rodriguez's. But whatever I'll be out of here come September anyway. I'm sure Jamie Ramsey will suffice.

Boss-Hog
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
That's fine, but the rest of us don't deal directly with these players, so calling them by their actual names would be much more helpful to us layfolks.

Boss-Hog
07-25-2011, 01:16 PM
They honestly are not rocket science. lol. The only one that is off the wall is Henry Rodriguez's. But whatever I'll be out of here come September anyway. I'm sure Jamie Ramsey will suffice.
There's no need to take things so personally. It was a simple request that numerous people, including myself, have made and if you're so bothered by it that you want to take your ball and go home, that's your prerogative. We’d love to have you continue to post here, but not with this chip on your shoulder when people offer constructive feedback.

davereds24
07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for your continued info 21, anyone who reads these threads on a somewhat regular basis knows what you are saying. Just ignore the lazy ones.

Scrap Irony
07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Well Bog and mFo and P Did and me have no clue, yo.

So us lazy folks (you know, the guy who created the site, a moderator, and two guys with around 5,000 posts on Red-related information) need some more information.

Yo.

Thanks for your continued info 21, anyone who reads these threads on a somewhat regular basis knows what you are saying. Just ignore the lazy ones.

It's not too much to ask, really. In fact, it's less work and more informative.

cinreds21
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
First off, I do not use that type of slang, saying yo all the time; I'm not 12. And secondly, it's I, not me :)

davereds24
07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I could care less what your post count is, if you created this site, or if you invented the internet. The way you went about attacking someone's posting style on a message board was childish. Maybe a simple polite request to clarify would have had more success. I'm sure you knew what he was saying anyway, just trying to stir things up. Be happy with the info you are receiving, it wasn't available a couple years ago.

Boss-Hog
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I could care less what your post count is, if you created this site, or if you invented the internet. The way you went about attacking someone's posting style on a message board was childish. Maybe a simple polite request to clarify would have had more success. I'm sure you knew what he was saying anyway, just trying to stir things up. Be happy with the info you are receiving, it wasn't available a couple years ago.

I've seen at least one simple polite request or I wouldn't have chimed in.

I doubt you can find one person that reads his posts that is unappreciative of the information he provides, but must that information include nicknames that are completely irrelevant to everyone else? I don't think it's unrealistic, ungrateful or rude to ask someone to refrain from using them so the posts are much clearer to the people that read them.

REDblooded
07-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Pretty much... I'd much rather have good information readily available that takes me a second to decipher than no information, or information that I have to search 5-6 sites to find...

Is it a full moon?

Scrap Irony
07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
First off, I do not use that type of slang, saying yo all the time; I'm not 12. And secondly, it's I, not me :)

It's also we.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Pretty much... I'd much rather have good information readily available that takes me a second to decipher than no information, or information that I have to search 5-6 sites to find...

Is it a full moon?
I agree 100%. Honestly, cinreds21 could come in here and post in Japaense for all I care. He's providing information that no one else is, and if you're too lazy to 'decipher' it (speaking of which, I've never had a single problem figuring out who he's talking about; not only that, but I enjoy hearing the nicknames), then why don't you just do without the information and move on?

dougdirt
07-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Cinreds21.... please don't listen to cami. I really don't want to google translate Japanese to English lol.

corkedbat
07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Can't we all just get along?

muddie
07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Give peace a chance.

medford
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
This thread brings back fond memories of the Keymastur thread of years old. Not that I expect anyone to stumble threads created by cinreds21 on a weight lifting board bragging about how he can get around professional baseball's steriod testing and only the idiots get caught.

Oh what I would have paid to have been a fly in the louisville's locker room when he got back in after the game to check back on that thread. Must have taken a bottle of clorox to get his skivies cleaned that night.

anyhoo back to point. cinreds21, I appreciate your post and the information you pass along, but point in case when you listed the lineups the other day, the first name listed was "Q" I had no idea who Q was. I don't follow the High A or AA teams all that close, so it was completely lost on me. It would have helped to have the player's name. Post as you like, call me lazy if you wish, hope you don't consider me ungrateful, perhaps I'll even take the time to pay more attention to the guys in AA and their corresonding nick names one day, but I start getting nick names of player's I don't know, I tend to just skim past it. I don't follow the minor league closely day to day, just trying to capture the highlights as I swing by.

anyhoo, that's enough from me on the topic at hand.

SoTxRedsFan
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Tanks for the continued info Cin21.

AWA85
07-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Day 2 in a row.

21, pretty sure everyone on this board is grateful for all the info you have provided and continue to provide. Not sure if the trade deadline is getting to you or what, but take a deep breath and enjoy the minor league threads. No need to snap at every poster :beerme:

Back to the topic..... like to see what Didi does at Carolina, hope he can keep swinging a nice bat.

dougdirt
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Louisville is up 1-0. Mesoraco had a 2 out RBI single in the first.

Dayton is scoreless in the middle of 2.

muddie
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Mesoraco drove in Phipps. Thompson pitching for Louisville.

GOYA
07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Sappelt CF .296
Phipps RF .250
Alonso LF .299
Hermida DH .317
Mesoraco C .305
Dorn 1B .257
Costanzo 3B .209
Valaika 2B .235
Negron SS .202

muddie
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
GOYA, did you attend last night's game?

GOYA
07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Nope, I had tickets but no time. (And a PC with a dead power supply)

GOYA
07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Charlotte got 2 on the top of the 4th and lead 2-1 going to the 5th

GOYA
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Knights get another run and Phipps made a nice throw to the plate to prevent a 4th run.

3-1 Knights

(Or Kennnn-iggits for you Monty Python fans)

mace
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Dayton leads 2-1 after five on Lutz's 15th HR. The only run against Corcino (out of the game now) was unearned.

REDblooded
07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Louisville is up 1-0. Mesoraco had a 2 out RBI single in the first.

Dayton is scoreless in the middle of 2.

Thank god you didn't call him "mes"... Would've messed with my mind.

GOYA
07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Bats get 4 in the 7th to go up 5-3

Kristopher Negron singles on a ground ball to left fielder Alejandro De Aza.
Dave Sappelt singles on a line drive to center fielder Jordan Danks. Kristopher Negron to 3rd.
With Denis Phipps batting, Dave Sappelt steals (3) 2nd base.
Denis Phipps singles on a pop up to shortstop Andrew Garcia. Kristopher Negron scores.
Yonder Alonso flies out to left fielder Alejandro De Aza.
Jeremy Hermida strikes out swinging.
Devin Mesoraco singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jordan Danks. Dave Sappelt scores. Denis Phipps to 2nd.
Daniel Dorn walks. Denis Phipps to 3rd. Devin Mesoraco to 2nd.
Mike Costanzo singles on a soft line drive to left fielder Alejandro De Aza. Denis Phipps scores. Devin Mesoraco scores. Daniel Dorn to 3rd. Mike Costanzo advances to 2nd, on throwing error by left fielder Alejandro De Aza.
Chris Valaika grounds out, shortstop Andrew Garcia to first baseman Jim Gallagher.

mace
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Boxberger and Jordan Smith close it out for Louisville, 5-3.

Phipps goes 3-5.

mace
07-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Lutz homers twice (16), Torreyes goes 2-4 (.406) and Hayes get his 16th save for Dayton in a 5-2 win.

mace
07-25-2011, 10:34 PM
In his 100th professional AB, Sean Buckley (.327) hit his seventh HR. Robert Maddox (3-3) hit his eighth, and Billings leads 10-1 in the fourth. Ryan Wright is playing his first game in Billings, batting third.

GOYA
07-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Player Pos AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG
Sappelt CF 4 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 .297
Phipps RF 5 2 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 .375
Alonso LF 5 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .296
Hermida DH 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 .315
Mesoraco C 3 1 2 0 0 0 2 1 0 .307
Dorn 1B 3 0 2 1 0 0 0 1 1 .261
Costanzo 3B 4 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 2 .217
Valaika 2B 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .233
Negron SS 4 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .204

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Thompson 5.0 7 3 2 1 2 0 3.21
Fisher, C 1.0 2 0 0 2 1 0 3.04
Boxberger (W, 1-2) 2.0 1 0 0 1 2 0 5.56
Smith, J (S, 3) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1.86

mace
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Jared Burton's rehab line, starting tonight for the AZL Reds: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.

Our guys trail 2-1.

mace
07-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Robert Maddox is 4-4 and Billings now leads 13-2. Catcher Yovan Gonzalez is 3-4 with a 2B and 3 RBIs. Might as well trade Mes.

mace
07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I missed Buckley's second HR of the night. He's also 3-4. Man.

mace
07-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Devin Lohman is leading off in his first game for Bakersfield. The Blaze, going for their 10th straight win, trail 2-1 in the third, with Serrano pitching.

texasdave
07-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Torreyes is now hitting .489 in his last ten games. That includes two games in which he went a combined 0-10. I find that pretty amazing.

OnBaseMachine
07-26-2011, 02:15 AM
From Bill Mitchell:

Radhames Quezada pitching nice game for Billings. 94 late in game w/ good secondary stuff. #Reds

http://twitter.com/billazbbphotog

Superdude
07-26-2011, 03:26 AM
From Bill Mitchell:

Radhames Quezada pitching nice game for Billings. 94 late in game w/ good secondary stuff. #Reds

http://twitter.com/billazbbphotog

Sweet. I love when legit prospects pop up out of nowhere.