PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Grail

Redlegs
07-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Anyone ever visit the Holy Grail before or after the game at GABP? I stopped in for the first time prior to the Reds/Cards game on a Sunday. Really liked having a bite to eat and soaking a cold one while looking at the ball park and watching the flow of fans walking in. I'm very excited about the banks projects that are finally going on. Gonna be awesome.

westofyou
07-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Anyone ever visit the Holy Grail before or after the game at GABP? I stopped in for the first time prior to the Reds/Cards game on a Sunday. Really liked having a bite to eat and soaking a cold one while looking at the ball park and watching the flow of fans walking in. I'm very excited about the banks projects that are finally going on. Gonna be awesome.

I hear it doesn't have one beer on tap and the boldest beer they offer is a Guinness.

Which if true is sad on both accounts

Plus Plus
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I went before one of the Reds-Indians games this year- woy, no need to worry, they had about 20 beers on tap, including some microbrews from Goose Island (and others, iirc). They had several beers that *should be* bolder than Guiness, but in the summer I wouldn't expect a lot of stouts or porters to be on draft.

I had a great time going down there with my friend and would absolutely go again.

I(heart)Freel
07-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I thought I heard you can actually get a table with a tap, to serve draft to your party as you go. As for "bold," not sure. Probably pretty safe, boring beer choices. But the Moerlein Brew House right next to it will take care of that. I saw a shot of construction from the blimp coverage this weekend and it's taking shape. I'm practically going to live at that place before and after games.

johngalt
07-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I hear it doesn't have one beer on tap and the boldest beer they offer is a Guinness.

Plenty of beer on tap there. The taps are just behind the bar, so someone may not have realized it.

Favorite is the blueberry grail ale.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-25-2011, 10:40 AM

It has quite a selection on tap. And some individual tables have their own taps and you can select what beers you want in them. The tap tables have a $250 minimum on drinks alone (food isn't included as part of that) but they're always full and have a waiting list every time I've been there.

Redlegs
07-25-2011, 11:54 AM
We sat at a table with a two taps. No $250 minimum. In fact, no charge at all, other than costs of our food and drinks. Here's a pic of my buddy and his son at the aforementioned "tap table".

camisadelgolf
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I went to the downtown Holy Grail a couple times and had terrible service both times. The food was lackluster, which was no surprise since I'd say the same thing about the Holy Grail in Clifton. The beer selection is nothing special, the prices aren't ridiculous but aren't exactly a bargain either. It's just a mediocre restaurant with a convenient location.

Caveat Emperor
07-25-2011, 12:45 PM
There's nothing special about the Grail as a bar, but it's in a prime spot to enjoy a drink pre/post-game, the prices are pretty comparable to other bars in the downtown area (and far cheaper than other downtown bars I've been to) and there are plenty of TVs to watch games at when the Reds aren't around.

It's nice to have a place to celebrate with a drink after the Reds game, that's for certain.

Redlegs
07-25-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Moerlein Lagar House going up. Gonna be sweet.

RBA
07-25-2011, 01:22 PM
We sat at a table with a two taps. No $250 minimum. In fact, no charge at all, other than costs of our food and drinks. Here's a pic of my buddy and his son at the aforementioned "tap table".

How does that work? Self serve? And how do they cut people who over induldge off?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-25-2011, 02:43 PM

We were there before the game last night at one of the regular tables. We asked about reserving a tap table for Friday night (before the SF game) and were told about the $250 minimum.

Needless to say, since we only have four people coming on Friday, we passed.

The Holy Grail is so slammed before and after games (and sometimes during) that it isn't easy at all to find any sort of table. We put our name in yesterday around 5 p.m. and didn't get called for a table until 6:15. People who have tables aren't likely to give them up until game time.

After the game we went to the In Between and it was pretty chill in comparison. More my style these days.

remdog
07-25-2011, 03:40 PM
I love a good restaurant review! Heck, I admit to being a 'foodie'. Good info to know. Maybe this could become a regular staple with its' own page.

Just a thought. :)

Rem

camisadelgolf
07-25-2011, 03:48 PM
If you're looking for a good, laid-back kind of place before/during/after a Reds game, there are plenty of places to go downtown that are much better than the Holy Grail.

Caveat Emperor
07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
If you're looking for a good, laid-back kind of place before/during/after a Reds game, there are plenty of places to go downtown that are much better than the Holy Grail.

What Holy Grail lacks in uniqueness and quality, it makes up for in proximity to the stadium.

Downtown Cincinnati's bar scene is pretty generic. Unless you want to walk up to Neons in OTR, the downtown scene is dominated by cluby-type places (Bartini, Mynt, Cadillac Ranch, Righteous Room, Scene and their ilk.

Reds Freak
07-25-2011, 04:02 PM
What Holy Grail lacks in uniqueness and quality, it makes up for in proximity to the stadium.

Downtown Cincinnati's bar scene is pretty generic. Unless you want to walk up to Neons in OTR, the downtown scene is dominated by cluby-type places (Bartini, Mynt, Cadillac Ranch, Righteous Room, Scene and their ilk.

You have to dig a little deeper for the hole-in-the-wall type places. I much prefer Arnold's, Madonna's, Tina's, In-Between, Head First, O'Malley's, etc to any of the places you mentioned.

Redlegs
07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
How does that work? Self serve? And how do they cut people who over induldge off?

Not really sure. It's my understanding you place your order and they bring you a glass to pour into, but again, I'm not sure. Our tap was a Miller Lite tap. Nobody in my party order that brand.

Redlegs
07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
We were there before the game last night at one of the regular tables. We asked about reserving a tap table for Friday night (before the SF game) and were told about the $250 minimum.

Needless to say, since we only have four people coming on Friday, we passed.

The Holy Grail is so slammed before and after games (and sometimes during) that it isn't easy at all to find any sort of table. We put our name in yesterday around 5 p.m. and didn't get called for a table until 6:15. People who have tables aren't likely to give them up until game time.

After the game we went to the In Between and it was pretty chill in comparison. More my style these days.I have a friend who said the same. He said he's never been able to get in. We went on a Sunday morning around 10:45 am and walked right in. By the time we left about a half hour prior to first pitch, it was a packed house and a waiting line.

reds1869
07-25-2011, 04:47 PM
You have to dig a little deeper for the hole-in-the-wall type places. I much prefer Arnold's, Madonna's, Tina's, In-Between, Head First, O'Malley's, etc to any of the places you mentioned.

Arnold's is my favorite place in the entire city. I'm shocked by how few people know about it.

Caveat Emperor
07-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Arnold's is my favorite place in the entire city. I'm shocked by how few people know about it.

It's going to be featured as the hangout on the show "Harry's Law" on NBC (which is fictionally set in Cincinnati).

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-25-2011, 05:53 PM

:beerme:

I'll definitely agree with this, except I'd say it's one of my favorite places in the entire country, not just the city. And it's really not a far walk to/from the ballpark (6-7 blocks).

camisadelgolf
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Exactly. And don't forget Knockback Nat's.

I(heart)Freel
07-25-2011, 11:42 PM

In Between is horrible! Nothing irks me more than charging stadium prices outside a stadium. Price gauging at its finest. Hope the Banks knocks it down to size.

Red Leader
07-26-2011, 12:53 AM
:beerme:

I'll definitely agree with this, except I'd say it's one of my favorite places in the entire country, not just the city. And it's really not a far walk to/from the ballpark (6-7 blocks).

Where do you typically park when you go there? With you guys hyping it up, I'd be curious to try it out before a game.

*BaseClogger*
07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Taps in the middle of the table, eh?

Loved the hell out of that concept while I was in Prague:

http://heartofeurope.co.uk/slovakia/80/prague-the-pub/

Chip R
07-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Where do you typically park when you go there? With you guys hyping it up, I'd be curious to try it out before a game.

There are several parking garages and lots over by there.

Red Leader
07-26-2011, 01:14 AM

Name one. :p

camisadelgolf
07-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Taps in the middle of the table, eh?

Loved the hell out of that concept while I was in Prague:

http://heartofeurope.co.uk/slovakia/80/prague-the-pub/
Next time, I'd love it if you could reference something even more obscure since the only reason I browse the internet is to see how cultured you are.

Superdude
07-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Next time, I'd love it if you could reference something even more obscure since the only reason I browse the internet is to see how cultured you are.

Dude, if I have to keep browsing your posts for bitter, sarcastic comments I'm never gonna be able to finish this Kerouac novel or listen to my Tom Waits collection.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2011, 03:17 AM
Dude, if I have to keep browsing your posts for bitter, sarcastic comments I'm never gonna be able to finish this Kerouac novel or listen to my Tom Waits collection.
See, *BaseClogger*? This is how to do it.

Redlegs
07-26-2011, 07:12 AM

We parked on the street for free, but that's hard to do during the week. Actually parked up by St. Xavier on Sycamore. Another member of our party parked in the garage at Fountain Square for $5. If you want to try it out, I suggest you hit it on a Sunday morning like we did. The info says it opens at 11am, but like I said, we got there at 10:40am and walked right in.

Chip R
07-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Name one. :p

There's one right under Fountain Square. There's a lot on 8th and Main a half a block away. There's a huge garage on 6th and Sycamore a couple blocks away. There's a lot almost across 8th St on Sycamore. Shall I go on? :p

Chip R
07-26-2011, 09:19 AM
We parked on the street for free, but that's hard to do during the week. Actually parked up by St. Xavier on Sycamore. Another member of our party parked in the garage at Fountain Square for $5. If you want to try it out, I suggest you hit it on a Sunday morning like we did. The info says it opens at 11am, but like I said, we got there at 10:40am and walked right in.

Arnold's is closed on Sundays.

I(heart)Freel
07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Meter spots are available FOR FREE at 6pm every night downtown. So time your arrival just before then and you can get a great, close spot for free.

EDIT: I should say, technically, you don't have to pay meters after 5pm usually, but most streets downtown have no parking 4-6pm. Hence, the 6pm timing for those spots.

*BaseClogger*
07-26-2011, 10:35 AM

+1 Google+ stylee!