PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cairo Appreciation Thread

fearofpopvol1
07-25-2011, 02:30 PM
If I told you that Cairo has been nearly as valuable to the team this year as Cueto, would you believe me? What if I told you that Cairo has been worth 1.5 WAR and Cueto has been worth 1.7 WAR?

What if I told you that Cairo has been more valuable than any other pitcher outside of Cueto? And what if I told you that Cairo was more valuable than every Reds position player except for Votto, Phillips, Bruce, Stubbs and Hernandez? More than Rolen, Hanigan or anyone else?

All of the above is true according to Fangraphs.

:beerme: to Cairo on another good year with the Reds.

Brutus
07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Cairo far exceeded my expectations for him last year, and though I was appreciative for the production, I was certain he wouldn't do it again this year. But he's far exceeded that once again.

He's been a pleasant surprise. To be honest, in 'clutch' situations, next to Votto, I prefer Cairo up at the plate more than anyone. That's the truth.

Tom Servo
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I liked him as a bench player when I lived in NJ and watched the Yankees games and was okay with the thought of him being an expandable Reds player. But boy, he's become the back-up player I've wanted the Reds to have for years. The guy you can plug in at any infield position and not have a huge drop-off in that day's production.

LvJ
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
‪OutKast - Ain't No Thang‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsg-q0JdgWU)

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41794_168258029856335_1961112_n.jpg

http://smiliesftw.com/x/big_bowdown.gif

Period.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I was just telling my dad yesterday about how Miguel Cairo is the new Dave Weathers for me. I kept expecting Weathers' production to decline much more rapidly than it actually did, and the same is now true for Cairo. I never had a problem with the Cairo extension seeing as how it was "only" $2M, but at the same I time, I never liked it either. The thought was, "Why devote money to a guy that can so easily be replaced by someone in house who has a higher ceiling?" Regardless, I'm happy to say that I'm eating crow right now. I really hope Cairo keeps it up. And let's also not forget to do the unthinkable and give Dusty Baker some credit. If Baker didn't put Cairo in the right matchups, I'd bet you that Cairo wouldn't be as successful as he has been.

reds1869
07-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Cairo has been excellent. camisadelgolf is right on in his praise of Dusty, too.

MikeThierry
07-25-2011, 10:24 PM
I have always appreciated Cairo. He was an good Cardinal and I always liked him.

kaldaniels
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
He's earned his money for this year and next. If his production falls off a cliff tommorrow he is expendable and we can all sleep easy knowing it was not money wasted. We are playing with house money for the next 15 months.

Griffey012
07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
I hate to say it, but this team may be better with Cairo in the lineup at 3b. At least until he stops hitting, if he ever will. Of course we get a drop off in defense, but Cairo's bat is not killing us. Hopefully we get a relatively healthy Scotty back and have Cairo back in his utility role.

Props to Miguel, just keeps on keepin on. He is becoming one of my favorite Reds as well, I am now really glad we signed him to that horrible deal in the off-season (I thought it was bad as well).

kaldaniels
07-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I wonder if the fact, that he really hasn't even been an everyday player for any prolonged amount of time, makes him "younger" than his age.

07-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Once sat in front of the flight crew that work the Reds flights. He's their favorite player by far and their nickname for him is "Hammer", as in M.C. Hammer. They started singing "You Can't Touch This" whenever he walked up to the plate. It was pretty awesome to witness that.

Based on reports from others who played with him, I have a feeling he'll be a coach and maybe even a manager when he decides to retire.

I have always thought this was Jocketty's greatest strength, finding players who are more valuable than their stats.

GAC
07-26-2011, 05:07 AM
And lets not forget that the guy is a year older then our regular 3Bman.

I really like him, glad we have him; but he's a bench player IMO, and it just illustrates another problem with this team when he has to start.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2011, 05:30 AM
And lets not forget that the guy is a year older then our regular 3Bman.

I really like him, glad we have him; but he's a bench player IMO, and it just illustrates another problem with this team when he has to start.
It's not like Cairo is far exceeding what is reasonably expected of him. Other than Chase Headley and Pablo Sandoval, how many third basemen in the NL have been noticeably better than Cairo? Is it really that big of a problem that Cairo has seen as much time at short as he has?

GAC
07-26-2011, 05:42 AM
My point is that this organization bought some time at 3B by getting Rolen. They knew, due to age and injury, his skills were beginning to decline. I had no huge problem with the acquisition because, again, it bought us some time, and Rolen was definitely an upgrade from EE. But IMO, that time has probably run out, and I am more upset with a FO that in the meantime still haven't found a solution, or one that may even be close.

So we're back to square one.

I'm more then thankful for Cairo. He's been a blessing.

But he's not the answer either moving forward.

That's my concern. Who is?

camisadelgolf
07-26-2011, 07:09 AM
My point is that this organization bought some time at 3B by getting Rolen. They knew, due to age and injury, his skills were beginning to decline. I had no huge problem with the acquisition because, again, it bought us some time, and Rolen was definitely an upgrade from EE. But IMO, that time has probably run out, and I am more upset with a FO that in the meantime still haven't found a solution, or one that may even be close.

So we're back to square one.

I'm more then thankful for Cairo. He's been a blessing.

But he's not the answer either moving forward.

That's my concern. Who is?
Todd Frazier

RedsManRick
07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Cairo has been a godsend and I wanted no part of him. He's the definition of "professional hitter", a guy who isn't going to hit many homers, but who will give you a good at bat and, to my surprise, give you a good shot at finding first base. Add in solid defense and that's a nice guy to have off the bench.

mattfeet
07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
I almost pooped a little bit when he hit that MONSTER home run during Sunday night's game. He crushed that ball!

SirFelixCat
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Dude has far exceeded anyone's expectations. He's been pretty damn stellar defensively at 3B and pretty solid w/ the bat. Truly a 'professional hitter'.

This team is better w/ him on it. :thumbup:

bucksfan2
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Dude has far exceeded anyone's expectations. He's been pretty damn stellar defensively at 3B and pretty solid w/ the bat. Truly a 'professional hitter'.

This team is better w/ him on it. :thumbup:

Absolutely! I still remember the outrage that he made the 25 man roster two seasons ago ahead of one Wlad Balentine.

Cooper
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I was one of the people who didn't think he should be on the team and i was wwwwrong (Happy Days joke -they never get old).

There aren't too many people that have their best seasons at age 37 (unless your head grows by 12 sizes from taking crazy amounts of hgh). He kinda reminds me of Billy Hatcher when at the plate, but he's worth more cause he can play the infield. He'll make a good coach someday. Walt deserves a lot of credit for taking him on and signing him for 2 years at a reduced level (relative to his production). Way cool to see him have success.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
It has been said that he's also an expert at identifying pitchers that tip their pitches. He's very aware of his role as a bench player and will never become a clubhouse cancer due to lack of playing time. I've heard his teammates say he's one of the funniest and nicest guys on the team, too. Maybe not for his entire career, but for the Reds, he has kind of been the perfect 25th man.

nate
07-26-2011, 09:31 PM
High five for Migehrig! He's been much better than I expected.

Griffey012
07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Cairo must read Redszone, seems like he got a little too excited about the Cairo love tonight.