PDA

View Full Version : Volquez drawing trade interest... (Rosenthal)

mroby85
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Ken_RosenthalKen Rosenthal
Source: #Reds drawing interest from multiple teams on Volquez. #tradedeadline #MLB

Would he bring anything back? I would think he would, otherwise it wouldn't really make sense to trade him because he has potential.

redsfan1995
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
i would trade him.

R_Webb18
07-25-2011, 05:00 PM
i would trade him.

me2

Vottomatic
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
I actually wondered about this.

As frustrated as alot of us are with Edinson, he has topnotch stuff and is coming off of TJ surgery. He's a few years removed from being the ace of the staff, winning 17 games, and garnering some Cy Young votes.

His problem has been control, and sometimes between his ears. A change of scenery with a non contending team might do him some good, to take the pressure off of him and allow him to work regaining his form.

Starting pitching is hard to come by. I think the Reds could get something decent for him. Maybe not a top prospect, but something halfway decent.

mroby85
07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I actually wondered about this.

As frustrated as alot of us are with Edinson, he has topnotch stuff and is coming off of TJ surgery. He's a few years removed from being the ace of the staff, winning 17 games, and garnering some Cy Young votes.

His problem has been control, and sometimes between his ears. A change of scenery with a non contending team might do him some good, to take the pressure off of him and allow him to work regaining his form.

Starting pitching is hard to come by. I think the Reds could get something decent for him. Maybe not a top prospect, but something halfway decent.

Any chance they get something that could help right now for him? To be honest, I don't think i'd trade him for a prospect because he's basically a good prospect that has had a top notch MLB season. If he is traded for a prospect, I don't think you would get someone back that has the potential ceiling he has.

Captain13
07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Maybe we could trade EV and a midget for Josh Hamilton. Surely there has to a GM out there that thinks that is a good idea ;)

mroby85
07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Maybe we could trade EV and a midget for Josh Hamilton. Surely there has to a GM out there that thinks that is a good idea ;)

lol that trade still hurts. This lineup could sure use Josh Hamilton right now in the OF.

brm7675
07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Since I doubt the teams who have interest would have anything more then mid level prospect available to trade for him I just don't see the advantage in dealing him. He will be cheap again next season and with the help of the "Power" he might get things worked out.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
07-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Since I doubt the teams who have interest would have anything more then mid level prospect available to trade for him I just don't see the advantage in dealing him. He will be cheap again next season and with the help of the "Power" he might get things worked out.

I'm with this guy for similar reasons. If you trade him now, you are selling at the ultimate low value. Unless he is involved in another big trade, I would let him sit in AAA and see what he can do. If he puts together a decent 2nd half in AAA, then trade him this winter. My only worry is that the Reds FO will get delusioned into thinking he's fixed again and keep him around.

R_Webb18
07-25-2011, 06:58 PM
u can say he has the "stuff" all u want but until he wants to take the time to improve id rather have some1 else on the team that wants to improve. i mean cmon didn't he have a babysitter on the rangers?

bshall2105
07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
As long as he doesn't go to St Louis I would be happy with a trade that brought us a decent prospect that could potentially start in the major leagues.

brm7675
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
u can say he has the "stuff" all u want but until he wants to take the time to improve id rather have some1 else on the team that wants to improve. i mean cmon didn't he have a babysitter on the rangers?

Sometime greatness takes time to mature. Again right now unless someone offers us greatness there is no reason to deal this kid.

Fullboat
07-25-2011, 07:26 PM

That would be Josh Hamilton.

Fullboat
07-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Falcon7
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Can't, Daniel Ray Herrera is already gone.

R_Webb18
07-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Sometime greatness takes time to mature. Again right now unless someone offers us greatness there is no reason to deal this kid.

thats fine but after 1 or good starts don't rush him up.

R_Webb18
07-25-2011, 07:55 PM

or it would be both

James B.
07-25-2011, 08:13 PM
It would be a major mistake to trade Volquez. We need to keep our young pitching.

40YrRedsFan
07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
It would be a major mistake to trade Volquez. We need to keep our young pitching.

I agree. I feel that Arroyo's best days are behind him. He has pitched a lot of innings over the last few years, and, I believe, is wearing down. Even if the Reds keep him next year, I don't believe he makes the starting rotation. Unless Travis Wood has a turnaround at AAA, Volquez is going to be back in the rotation, possibly before the end of this year. If Arroyo has a few more rough starts before September, I can see him losing his rotation spot for the final month. Volquez pitched an excellent game last time out in Louisville; a complete game victory, allowing 2 runs on 5 hits, NO WALKS, and 9 strikeouts.

Old NDN
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
What is Volquez's contract status? I remember him declining a multi-year deal and signing for one year. Does he become a free agent at the end of the season, or how much longer do the Reds control him? I haven't been a Volquez fan for a number of reasons and as frustrating as he has been to watch, I wouldn't sell low on him. He is a POTENTIALLY gifted commodity. If the Reds do control him beyond this season, I would leave him in AAA..... unless he proves he has his act together, physically, mentally, and emotionally. That day may never come, though.

code
07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
It would be a shame to trade Volquez since we lost Hamilton on him. but, we got D-TRAIN NOW!!! ALL ABOARDDDDDDDDD :)

brm7675
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree. I feel that Arroyo's best days are behind him. He has pitched a lot of innings over the last few years, and, I believe, is wearing down. Even if the Reds keep him next year, I don't believe he makes the starting rotation. Unless Travis Wood has a turnaround at AAA, Volquez is going to be back in the rotation, possibly before the end of this year. If Arroyo has a few more rough starts before September, I can see him losing his rotation spot for the final month. Volquez pitched an excellent game last time out in Louisville; a complete game victory, allowing 2 runs on 5 hits, NO WALKS, and 9 strikeouts.

I am unclear why you think Arroyo's skill have gotten to a place where he wouldn't even make the rotation next year? EV has a long way to go before he should be called back. He needs to put together at least 5-6 games where he goes at least 6+ with fewer then 3 runs, 3 walks and more then 3-4 K's in a game. His pitch count needs to be around 100 in each of those outings and innigns pitched. If and when EV returns, it would be the Dtrain who would come out of the starting rotation.

Girevik
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
What is Volquez's contract status? I remember him declining a multi-year deal and signing for one year. Does he become a free agent at the end of the season, or how much longer do the Reds control him? I haven't been a Volquez fan for a number of reasons and as frustrating as he has been to watch, I wouldn't sell low on him. He is a POTENTIALLY gifted commodity. If the Reds do control him beyond this season, I would leave him in AAA..... unless he proves he has his act together, physically, mentally, and emotionally. That day may never come, though.

Last year was I think Volquez's first arbitration year, so I think he's arbitration eligible for 2 more years?