PDA

View Full Version : Brithdays- 7/26

chicoruiz
07-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Reds:

Kevin Barker (36)

Other:

Mat Gamel (26) Once-hot prospect who seems to be cooling.

Jody Reed (49)- Currently managing the Dodgers Arizona League effort. He's famous for turning down a big-money contract and then having to settle for much less, but I've heard this story isn't quite true.

Hoyt Wilhelm- Known as a great reliever, but the only year he was a full-time starter hed had a 2.19 ERA.

Sam Jones- The earlier of the two Sam Joneses who were successful pithcers. This one played 22 seasons, all in the National League, a record I believe only Steve Carlton can match.

LvJ
07-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Gamel has been killing it here in Nashville, but that's pretty much always been the case. Hasn't translated well in the bigs.

cumberlandreds
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Hoyt Wilhem was know for his knuckleball. He pitched well into his 40's. I can remember seeing him on a Game of the Week broadcast his last season and thinking how really old he was. I'm sure I am older now than he was at that time.

07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
The funny thing about the Reed situation was that him turning down that money hurt the Dodgers too.

They then needed a 2B, so they traded for Delino DeShields, giving up a young Pedro Martinez for him.

I guess the moral of that story is that the Dodgers were really, really stupid back then. lol

Bob Borkowski
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
bump