PDA

View Full Version : That was random- Running into Reds Players

Eric_the_Red
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Today I stepped out of the office for lunch at Qdoba and who should be eating there but Mike Leake himself. I don't think anyone else recognized him besides me.

I didn't say anything to him, as I didn't want to "that guy" that interrupts his personal time. He is tiny though.

Anyone else ever randomly run into a Reds player?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I saw Joey Votto one evening after a day Reds game walking his dogs in a park in Centerville.

And years ago, when I used to work on rides at Kings Island, we'd see all kinds of people come through - Reds players, visiting players, Bengals players, tennis players during the tournament, even Montel Williams one day.

mattfeet
07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I saw Miguel Cairo at First Watch around breakfast on a Saturday. It was the morning after he played a pretty solid game and I just said, "good game yesterday, Miguel" and he smiled and said "thanks a lot". Pretty cool. Seemed like a nice guy.

-Matt

07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
In 1990, I ran into Luis Quinones at a bar in Newport. Even though it was packed, I was the only one that recognized him. He was too busy hitting on women for me to talk to him.

redsmetz
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I saw Johnny Bench once at Zino's in Clifton years ago. We also saw Paul O'Neill at P.F. Chang's in Rookwood.

Off of baseball, on our honeymoon, my wife & I went to dinner before going to see a play. Sitting at a table before the show was the actor Milo O'Shea who my wife recognized from the movie Romeo & Juliet. In a more controversial episode in our family's history, we saw Michael Douglas eating outside at Rock Bottom when he was filming "Traffic" here. I say controversial because I and my oldest daughter saw him, my wife to this day insists it wasn't him. I remain firm in my belief particularly since my daughter agrees completely. None of my kids would ever back me up if there was any question, they'd call BS on it. :)

Plus Plus
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago I ran into Edinson Volquez in the Lacoste store in Kenwood Mall. Nobody else was in the store other than him and a couple of his friends, so I went up and congratulated him on his game against Shields and the Rays (which happened the day before) and got a picture with him. A super nice guy!

I had no problem going up to him and asking for it- he's paid a large sum to be a public figure, right? :)

(not sure how to flip that picture... help!)

reds1869
07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
My neighbor plays for the Bengals so I've had more encounters with that particular group of athletes. Because I live near the ballpark I frequently have chance encounters with Reds players, and several of them have lived in my building during the season. Because I'm narrowing down where I live a bit I won't name them but they have all been quite friendly. I literally ran into Thom Brennaman after the playoff game last year and he did not seem to be amused.

George Anderson
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Jose Rijo at Willies Sports Bar in Covington in the early 90's.

Paul O'Neill at a John Mellencamp concert in Indy around 1997. He was in a crowd waiting to be seated and no one had a clue who he was.

Tom Browning after Game 2 of the 90' WS at Caddy's.

Caveman Techie
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I work downtown right on the square so I run in to the visiting team players more often than I do the Red's players.

Some really nice guys play MLB and most of them (non super-stars) seem genuinely surprised/pleased to be recognized.

AtomicDumpling
07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I've encountered Joe Nuxhall a million times around Hamilton and Oxford. I have seen Anthony Munoz several times at NCAA and high school basketball games. I saw Smokey Alston several times at Miami basketball games. I saw NFL HOFer Weeb Ewbank several times at Miami basketball games. I saw Tubby Smith, Bob Huggins and Tim Floyd at high school basketball games.

I traded NCAA tourney tickets to Chris Collinsworth for Bengals tickets back when he was a player.

I have seen several Bengals players at the Streets of West Chester in PF Changs, Barnes & Noble and the Italian restaurant there.

I ate dinner next to Clark Kellogg at the Bob Evans near Kings Island.

I ate lunch right beside Sheryl Crow at Cafe Boulevard on 5th Street in Dayton.

I talked with NBA All-Star Wally Szczerbiak at Pizza Hut in Oxford more than once.

I have seen politicians John Boehner and Rob Portman a few times in West Chester and Blue Ash.

_Sir_Charles_
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Today I stepped out of the office for lunch at Qdoba and who should be eating there but Mike Leake himself. I don't think anyone else recognized him besides me.

I didn't say anything to him, as I didn't want to "that guy" that interrupts his personal time. He is tiny though.

Anyone else ever randomly run into a Reds player?

I'm sure he appreciates the privacy...but I think you still could've said "nice outing last night" or something along those lines. As much as he'd appreciate the privacy...he'd appreciate the compliment even more I'd think.

Besides, he's still new enough to all this that being recognized would still seem kinda cool to a kid his age.

The Voice of IH
07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Please clarify this Thread.

savafan
07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Ran into Paul O'Neill as a child in 1991 while with my dad at a flea market. He was standing in line with his son to get some food, and we were right behind him. As a huge Reds fan, I recognized him immediately and alerted my dad. We talked for a while, and he ended up signing about 9 autographs for me :)

A couple years ago, I saw David Ross and Bronson Arroyo at Jefferson Hall in Newport. They left with a couple girls, and one drunk patron charged after them shouting, "David Ross, that's not your wife!" several times before security stopped him. That was pretty funny.

07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Ran into Paul O'Neill as a child in 1991 while with my dad at a flea market. He was standing in line with his son to get some food, and we were right behind him. As a huge Reds fan, I recognized him immediately and alerted my dad. We talked for a while, and he ended up signing about 9 autographs for me :)

A couple years ago, I saw David Ross and Bronson Arroyo at Jefferson Hall in Newport. They left with a couple girls, and one drunk patron charged after them shouting, "David Ross, that's not your wife!" several times before security stopped him. That was pretty funny.

Joke told by every beat writer in America...

How do you know when an MLB Player is cheating on his wife?

When he's an MLB player. :D

CySeymour
07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
My wife, oldest son and I were at a Pacer game about 10 years ago and got to talk to Peyton Manning in a suite at Conseco Fieldhouse. He game my son a high five and talked with us for almost 5 minutes. It was pretty cool.

medford
07-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I once had the pleasure of sitting a few tables away from Sam Adams (Bengal's defensive tackle, part owner of the Jungle Kats (I think)) at first watch. Never bothered to say hello, he was with his family, but as you'd suspect he know how to eat.

dougdirt
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Ran into Ken Griffey Jr at Kremchek's office after my knee surgery. Words didn't come out of my mouth. I was like a teenage girl seeing Justin Beiber. It was sad.

Met Ron Artest in an elevator at his condo complex in Indy before the fighting incident. Seemed like a really nice dude, but he did know the guys I was with (neighbors of his).

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
My neighbor plays for the Bengals so I've had more encounters with that particular group of athletes. Because I live near the ballpark I frequently have chance encounters with Reds players, and several of them have lived in my building during the season. Because I'm narrowing down where I live a bit I won't name them but they have all been quite friendly. I literally ran into Thom Brennaman after the playoff game last year and he did not seem to be amused.

Two or three years ago, at the Pepsi Center in Denver for a Colorado Avs game, I turned around after getting a couple of beers (one in each hand) from the concession stand and literally walked right into John Elway. I didn't spill any beer and he didn't acknowledge the incident or even say anything. I did offer an "excuse me," I think. It isn't too hard to see Elway in and around Denver - particularly at Avs games.

nate
07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
There's a guy in my building who's a "concierge" for the Angels. He says he was drafted by the Reds. One morning, he gave me one of his personalized gloves and a baseball signed by Jeff Mathis and another Angels player.

Degenerate39
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I went to a Reds/Pirates game in April. We got there around 12 to do the ballpark tour and go to the hall of fame, etc. Marty B was outside the stadium doing a commercial. When he was walking away I ran up to him and asked to get a picture with him. He said "Hurry up son I'm on company time".

Degenerate39
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
There's a guy in my building who's a "concierge" for the Angels. He says he was drafted by the Reds. One morning, he gave me one of his personalized gloves and a baseball signed by Jeff Mathis and another Angels player.

I remember you telling this story in the chat one day.

GADawg
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago I ran into Edinson Volquez in the Lacoste store in Kenwood Mall. Nobody else was in the store other than him and a couple of his friends, so I went up and congratulated him on his game against Shields and the Rays (which happened the day before) and got a picture with him. A super nice guy!

I had no problem going up to him and asking for it- he's paid a large sum to be a public figure, right? :)

(not sure how to flip that picture... help!)

is that you on the right or left?

GADawg
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
met Jeff Keppinger a couple of years ago at the golf course belong to...introduced myself and he was very impressed that I had on MyJoys with the Reds logo and also that my odyssey 2 ball putter has the Reds logo on it...I'm a geek. Honestly it was hard to pay attention to anything he said because i couldn't quit staring at the woman he was with...SMOKIN'

Used to see Jeff Reed from time to time in the off season when he helped coach basketball in TN.

outside of Reds players I had several dealings with Glenn Hubbard...nice guy but really seemed detached from the braves even though he was coaching first base...weird

may have bumped into Richard Hand once but couldn't be sure:D

RedsManRick
07-26-2011, 10:04 PM
In 2007 I was at a bar in the Wicker Park neighborhood here in Chicago with my now fiance' (before we were dating) when Arroyo, Dave Ross and Encarnacion walked in. Arroyo had a harem of trixies within 2 minutes and EE had a chica or two, but Ross was getting totally ignored. I wanted to go over and say hi, figuring I'd get some props for actually recognizing him, but within about 5 minutes or so they were gone before I got the chance. I may have been distracted at the time...

Redhook
07-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I worked at a course in Orlando, Cypress Creek, and in came Barry Larkin one day. I was gushing all over the place. I introduced myself, told him I was from Cincy, big fan, etc. He was very cordial. That made my day.

I've played golf with Chris Sabo and Dave Parker, but they weren't so random. Still pretty cool though.

07-27-2011, 01:01 AM
When I was about 12 or so, I saw Ross Grimsley walk out of the restroom in a furniture store in Rushville, In. where he was working in the winter at the time. He married a girl from there, I believe.

Redlegs
07-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Ran into Juan Castro at Kings Island when our kids were both riding the merry go round.

Spoke with Chris Sabo at a Rush concert several years ago at Riverfront Coliseum.

Routinely ran into Dave Parker and Leon Durham at Bally's in Montgomery.

Saw Paul O'Neil at McAlpin's in Kenwood once.

The Voice of IH
07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I saw Dave Burba at the ball park yesterday. He had a few friends on the Mets so he came down to the dugout to talk.

RANDY IN INDY
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Was staying at the Hyatt in Cincinnati when the Cardinals were in town one year and was right behind Ozzie Smith in the checkout line. He signed a glove for me and seemed very, very nice.

Was in the elevator at the Netherland Plaza, late 80's early 90's, getting ready to go to an old timers game at Riverfront and Lou Brock got on right beside me. The elevator was pretty crowded and I hesitated to say anything but finally said in a quiet voice, "Excuse me sir, but aren't you Lou Brock?" He looked at me, smiled and said, "I think I know that guy." He reached for the baseball and pen I was holding and signed. Also was in the elevator that same weekend with hall of famer Johnny Mize and he signed for me as well. He was a pretty big guy.

Ate dinner at a Mexican Restaurant in South Charlotte, (Ballantyne area) beside Panther, Steve Smith and his family. It was the week of the Wachovia Golf Classic and same night, when we were in the car going home, we saw Tiger Woods, by himself, walking down the sidewalk, by the Ballantyne resort hotel, where he must have been staying.

Also saw Ric Flair, several times walking down the sidewalk in the same area.
"Whoooo"

Last, was at my son's end of year choir concert at his middle school this past June and noticed that NBA star Stephan Curry was sitting just in front of me. Apparently was dating a girl whose younger sister was in the middle school choir.

Eric_the_Red
07-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Was staying at the Hyatt in Cincinnati when the Cardinals were in town one year and was right behind Ozzie Smith in the checkout line. He signed a glove for me and seemed very, very nice.

Was in the elevator at the Netherland Plaza, late 80's early 90's, getting ready to go to an old timers game at Riverfront and Lou Brock got on right beside me. The elevator was pretty crowded and I hesitated to say anything but finally said in a quiet voice, "Excuse me sir, but aren't you Lou Brock?" He looked at me, smiled and said, "I think I know that guy." He reached for the baseball and pen I was holding and signed. Also was in the elevator that same weekend with hall of famer Johnny Mize and he signed for me as well. He was a pretty big guy.

Ate dinner at a Mexican Restaurant in South Charlotte, (Ballantyne area) beside Panther, Steve Smith and his family. It was the week of the Wachovia Golf Classic and same night, when we were in the car going home, we saw Tiger Woods, by himself, walking down the sidewalk, by the Ballantyne resort hotel, where he must have been staying.

Also saw Ric Flair, several times walking down the sidewalk in the same area.
"Whoooo"
Last, was at my son's end of year choir concert at his middle school this past June and noticed that NBA star Stephan Curry was sitting just in front of me. Apparently was dating a girl whose younger sister was in the middle school choir.

You buried the lead there. ;)

I(heart)Freel
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I think I might have a trump card here.

A couple of years ago, I was hired to play Spiderman for Junior's son's birthday party. True story. It was in a suite at the ball game during a game. In the midst of playing with the kids, Junior's wife asked "Spidey" to come over to the door that opens out into the stadium seats. So I did. I looked down and Junior and several Reds were on the top of the dugout steps, pointing at me and waving.

So there's that. Definitely a top 10 moment in my life.

redsmetz
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
We just dropped our son off at CVG this morning, leaving for his new job in DC. Leaving the airport, we passed Joe Torre standing there talking to an airport worker. Let the rumors run rampant.

I(heart)Freel
07-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Torre's wife is a Cincinnati girl. They visit often for family picnics etc.

redsmetz
07-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Torre's wife is a Cincinnati girl. They visit often for family picnics etc.

I'm aware of that, but thought I'd have some fun with the sighting.

marcshoe
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM
We just dropped our son off at CVG this morning, leaving for his new job in DC. Leaving the airport, we passed Joe Torre standing there talking to an airport worker. Let the rumors run rampant.

Joe Torre's taking a new job working security at CVG!!!! :D

SunDeck
07-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I ran into Johnny Bench while delivering a truckload of brats and metts to the St. Rita festival. The festival organizer felt it was important for Johnny to be introduced to the guy from Edelmann's. I'm sure he had better things to do, but he shook my hand and we chatted for a few minutes.

SunDeck
07-30-2011, 02:06 PM
We just dropped our son off at CVG this morning, leaving for his new job in DC.

That is some commute.

Strikes Out Looking
07-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Saw Johnny Bench backstage at a Crystal Gayle concert in 1979 when I was 15. My friend's neighbor worked on the crew and had gotten us all backstage. We didn't know what to say to Bench, my friend finally piped up and asked him how his knees were.

redsmetz
07-30-2011, 02:42 PM
That is some commute.

Funny thing is, he's flying back in 2 weeks for his cousin's wedding. We'll move the rest of his stuff up over Labor Day weekend. All three kids now out of town, 2 in DC, one in Chicago; both great places to visit (and we can go to ballgames there too!).

WVRedsFan
07-30-2011, 03:16 PM
When I was a kid, i met and talked to Don Pavletek (spelling) and Frank Robinson before the game. I think I've told that story before. When Joey Jay lived in WV, we would see him in Charleston often. As for current times, no unfortunately.

The funniest celebrity encounter was at Charlotte Motor Speedway a few years ago. Troy Aikman was at the track and I ran into him in the pits. He smiled and I said helo and he began a conversation for some reason. Some young lady ran up to him all excited and butted in on our conversation (we were talking football), and asked him, "Mr. Elway, can I have your autograph?" Aikman looked at me with a smirk and signed her program "John elway." He looked at me and said, "she'll never figure it out."

GADawg
07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
forgot to mention my wife and I were in New Smyrna Beach a few summers ago and ran into Davey Johnson at a liquor store...he was shocked that I recognized him and was very nice to us....my wife is now a Nationals fan

camisadelgolf
07-31-2011, 09:25 AM
At Great American Ballpark, I had my picture taken with The Gapper.

cincrazy
07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I routinely have conversations with Rick White, who frequents the pizza place I work at. Pretty nice guy, always gracious with his time.

I saw Dennis Rodman while on vacation in Fort Lauderdale last month. He hung out EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at the tiki bar at our hotel. He took pictures with some people, rejected others. He was an interesting mix between rude and obnoxious and gentle and kind. For every person he'd reject, he'd go up to a table and sit with someone and talk to them for half an hour. Really weird experience. Any time he would enter or exit the hotel, he would jump up and down and wave his arms in the air, making really loud noises. He's every bit as weird as he looks on television, trust me.

When I was a wrestling fan, around the age of 12, I ran into Razor Ramon (Scott Hall) at Disney World. Wouldn't allow pictures, but shook my hand and talked to me for a little bit.

My brother and cousin were shooting basketballs at Kings Island a few years ago, trying to win prizes, and when they were finished they turned around and saw Jr. Griffey and Adam Dunn in line behind them. Dunn and Jr. proceeded to shoot dozens of balls, trying to win prizes for Jr.'s kids. I don't think they were very successful, if memory serves me correctly.