PDA

View Full Version : Gomes Traded to Washington; Alonso Promoted

reds44
07-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Just got scratched from the lineup....

reds44
07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
And Jocketty is on the phone in the dugout. Something happened!

BrooklynRedz
07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Just got scratched from the lineup....

Confirmed. To Nationals for outfielder Bill Rhinehart and left-handed pitcher Chris Manno

reds44
07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Confirmed. To Nationals for outfielder Bill Rhinehart and left-handed pitcher Chris Manno
Well done.

https://twitter.com/#!/NationalsPR/status/95990572535386113

reds44
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM
OH WOW AND WE PROMOTED ALONSO!

That's the biggest news.

LvJ
Weird but I guess getting anything for Gomes is a win.

danforsman
Mark Sheldon reports that Alonso has been recalled from Louisville.

CTA513
07-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Rhinehart:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453408

Manno:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=573008

LvJ
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
OH WOW AND WE PROMOTED ALONSO!

That's the biggest news.

YEAH?!

Okay sweet! :thumbup::thumbup:

RBA
MLB Network is discussing it now.

JaxRed
Yikes almighty that looks like a sweet trade

Danny Serafini
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Not going to complain about the return on this one.

LvJ
Hopefully Yonder can get up here and pinch hit later. ;)

reds44
Yikes almighty that looks like a sweet trade
The OFer is old for his level, but still putting up good numbers. The pitcher looks interesting.

Scrap Irony
07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Manno's numbers are good, but he's old for the league. Same for Reinhart, actually.

Nice deal.

alloverjr
07-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Curious, what would Washington want with Gomes?

MrCinatit
The OFer is old for his level, but still putting up good numbers. The pitcher looks interesting.

That is exactly what I thought. Manno looks very, very, very interesting.
Gomes had his time here, he was fun to watch, but I will not shed any tears in seeing him go...but I will not be celebrating his departure either.

reds44
To platoon with Laynce Nix in LF lol

LvJ

:laugh: I was wondering this too.

Patrick Bateman
Any idea why Manno is only in high A?

He's almost 23 and has pretty gaudy stats in a relief role.
Seems like a guy that has a chance to be a big leaguer in albeit a limited role.

alloverjr
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
To platoon with Laynce Nix in LF lol

Wish the Reds could have thought of that!

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Woo Hoo. I wasn't as anxious to see Gomes go as others, but the return is better than expected. The Reds really needed to do something to make room for Alonso.

I like it.

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Can't wait to watch Alonso play LF lol

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
BenBadler Ben Badler
Rhinehart's a 26-year-old 1B in Double-A. He and Manno are both longshot guys going to the Reds

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Any idea why Manno is only in high A.

He's almost 23 and has pretty gaudy stats in a relief role.
Seems like a guy that has a chance to be a big leaguer.

College kid drafted in 2010. Not really that unusual. Should be ready to move up though.

Caveat Emperor
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Can't wait to watch Alonso play LF lol

I'm excited -- if he comes in and immediately provides some pop in the lineup, it reduces the need to go out and get a bat immediately.

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Very glad to see this happen.

That said, I want to say THANK YOU to Jonny Gomes for being a good Redleg the last 2.5 years. I enjoyed watching him. Some occasions much-more than others, but he was a good teammate and made some clutch hits during the 2010 playoff season. Thanks Jonny!

jojo
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Does this mean that Dontrelle will grow his hair out?

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
College kid drafted in 2010. Not really that unusual. Should be ready to move up though.

Exactly. Hell, we've got two college kids drafted in 2010 who are pitching extremely well ... and they're only in low-A Dayton: Josh Smith and Drew Hayes.

_Sir_Charles_
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Rhinehart:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453408 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453408)

Manno:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=573008 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=573008)

Wow. That's a pretty impressive return. A powerhitting OF'er who can hit for average. And a reliever who has a great BB/K ratio and a ERA sitting at 1.00. Holy cow. MUCH more than I expected for Gomes.

OldXOhio
07-26-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't get it. I mean I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't get it.

Way to go Walt.

Blitz Dorsey
Wow. That's a pretty impressive return. A powerhitting OF'er who can hit for average. And a reliever who has a great BB/K ratio and a ERA sitting at 1.00. Holy cow. MUCH more than I expected for Gomes.

Course, it is the Nats ... and they love them some ex-Reds (no matter how bad they are at baseball).

jojo
Why did the Nats do this?

OldXOhio
07-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Very glad to see this happen.

That said, I want to say THANK YOU to Jonny Gomes for being a good Redleg the last 2.5 years. I enjoyed watching him. Some occasions much-more than others, but he was a good teammate and made some clutch hits during the 2010 playoff season. Thanks Jonny!

I think the thing I'll take from Gomes time here is he really seemed to want to be a Red. Good luck to him, hope he does well wherever he goes.

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2011, 08:16 PM

That's a real good question. I wonder if they think they need a RH bat like Gomes for next season ... and just wanted to go ahead and deal for him now. They've probably talked to his agent about giving him a one-year extension. Otherwise, I don't understand why they would do this. They must think Gomes is in their 2012 plans. (But he'll be a free agent after this year.)

mth123
I don't get it. I mean I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't get it.

Way to go Walt.

Lefty Killers have way more value than Redszone wants to admit. I wouldn't be shocked to see Washington flip him to Atlanta for something better than we got.

_Sir_Charles_
I have a feeling that there's something I'm not seeing in regards to these 2 minor league guys besides their ages. Because those numbers look VERY impressive for both of them.

muddie
Rhinehart can provide immediate returns for Carolina. Impressive stats.

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Lefty Killers have way more value than Redszone wants to admit. I wouldn't be shocked to see Washington flip him to Atlanta for something better than we got.
You mean the guy who got next to no offers when he was on the open market?

OldXOhio

Unless it's been prearranged, that can be risky business trading for a guy just to trade him.

And if ATL were willing to pay up, my guess is Walt would have pulled the trigger with them directly.

Blitz Dorsey
I have a feeling that there's something I'm not seeing in regards to these 2 minor league guys besides their ages. Because those numbers look VERY impressive for both of them.

Or maybe the Baseball Gods feel awful about the Hamilton-for-Volquez trade and this is the beginning of several trades starting to go the Reds' way.

We did get the Big Red Machine era simply because the Baseball Gods felt bad about the whole Frank Robinson thing. So, you never know. I think we have some good karma and this is the beginning of something special. :p

Caveat Emperor
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM

Too much Expos DNA left in that franchise.

Slyder
Or maybe the Baseball Gods feel awful about the Hamilton-for-Volquez trade and this is the beginning of several trades starting to go the Reds' way.

We did get the Big Red Machine era simply because the Baseball Gods felt bad about the whole Frank Robinson thing. So, you never know. I think we have some good karma and this is the beginning of something special. :p

I thought Volquez/Hamilton was sent to offset the string of Wayne trades... Phillips, Arroyo, signing Hatteberg, etc.

Anyways...

Rhinehart looks like one of those Organizational guys that you send where you need him, only played 5 games at aaa thus far. Am I reading that right?

Manno looks to be a possible diamond in the rough. LH Reliever whos had some success.

Blitz Dorsey

That's a really good point.

thatcoolguy_22
The end of the helmet tug?

WOOOHOOO!!!!

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2011, 08:20 PM
The end of the helmet tug?

WOOOHOOO!!!!

Hey, that's one of the few things I really liked about Jonny. In addition to his Gold Glove defense, of course.

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM

That wasn't during a penant race with your team getting shut down by lefties night in and night out.

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
That wasn't during a penant race with your team getting shut down by lefties night in and night out.
So he goes from a guy who literally nobody wanted on a major league deal to a guy who has a lot of value? I highly doubt it.

OldXOhio
07-26-2011, 08:22 PM
In addition to his Gold Glove defense, of course.

The team's paying him tribute tonight in the field already.

Tom Servo
07-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Way to go, Walt!

dougdirt
07-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Not bothered by getting warm bodies for Gomes. But both guys acquired are probably not going to be more than organizational guys. Manno has great numbers, but his stuff is not all that good.

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Not bothered by getting warm bodies for Gomes. But both guys acquired are probably not going to be more than organizational guys. Manno has great numbers, but his stuff is not all that good.
More proof that Gomes has no value.

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Unless it's been prearranged, that can be risky business trading for a guy just to trade him.

And if ATL were willing to pay up, my guess is Walt would have pulled the trigger with them directly.

Or maybe Walt ddn't want a guy who would need to be on the 40 man roster or protected from Rule 5 after the season and that is all others were offering. Or maybe its what it appears on its surface.

Funny to me how all the same people who were calling for Gomes release still can't acknowledge that he has some value even after the Reds just got two kids for him, one of whom is a recent draftee doing very well in his debut.

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Or maybe Walt ddn't want a guy who would need to be on the 40 man roster or protected from Rule 5 after the season and that is all others were offering.

Funny to me how all the same people who were calling for Gomes release still can't acknowledge that he has some value even after the Reds just got two kids for him, one of whom is a recent draftee doing very well in his debut.
They got two guys who will probably never reach the majors.

That's the definition of no value.

thatcoolguy_22
07-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Hey, that's one of the few things I really liked about Jonny. In addition to his Gold Glove defense, of course.

I like Gomes and the tug has become a running joke for when I talk my Red Sx and Indians fans buddies into watching a game. I'm more stoked for receiving the prospects to (hopefully) offset some guys we will lose while making a bigger trade. We lose 2 months of Johnny Gomes and get 6+ years of MLB control of 2 prospects (Granted only the LHP looks promising).

Also we will get to see what Alonso can do for the Reds! I'm excited.

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:29 PM

They got a 22 year old lefty who is excelling in his full season professional debut and they unloaded about 700K in Salary to boot. Beats cutting the guy.

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2011, 08:30 PM

I'm guessing that during the off-season when teams were making moves to gear up for the season it was with the expectation that there might be a playoff run somewhere along the way.

Guys who simply have one skill, one that can be used in very limited circumstances, do not attain a lot of value.

Otherwise, guys like Gomes would be paid more than 2M and would fetch more than likely non-prospects.

reds44
07-26-2011, 08:31 PM
They got a 22 year old lefty who is excelling in his full season professional debut and they unloaded about 700K in Salary to boot. Beats cutting the guy.
No doubt it beats cutting a guy, but they traded him for two guys, who in all likely hood, will never be anything more than career minor leaguers.

That's not having value. He didn't have value when he was a free agent and he didn't have any now.

OldXOhio
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Or maybe Walt ddn't want a guy who would need to be on the 40 man roster or protected from Rule 5 after the season and that is all others were offering. Or maybe its what it appears on its surface.

Maybe so, but I didn't lob the trade to flip idea, that was you. Chances are these two will never materialize.

Again as mentioned previously, he took his wears to the market place this offseason and got nothing. He didn't just suddenly start hitting LH'ers this season.

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Rhinehard likely isn't much.

He's having his first above average minor league season at 26 in AA. Even such, it looks like is more first basemen than OF'der, meaning that his stick doesn't look great for his position considering the strides he would have to make in his age 27 and 28 seasons in order to hack it at 1st in the majors.

Manno looks like a guy who has a chance to make it as a middle reliever/Loogy in the majors. Pretty good to get anything for Gomes.

_Sir_Charles_
07-26-2011, 08:35 PM

I think the Reds sent cash to the Nats too. So I'm not sure about how much salary relief we got.

RedsManRick
07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I've seen some interesting stuff recently talking about minor league pitchers. The short of it is that pitchers in the low minors can be extremely effective with mediocre stuff -- they just need a decent changeup they can locate. That said, assets are assets. Even if we paid Gomes' salary completely, the 25 man is improved and the system is a tiny bit better. I'd call that a win.

_Sir_Charles_
07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Rhinehard likely isn't much.

He's having his first above average minor league season at 26 in AA. Even such, it looks like is more first basemen than OF'der, meaning that his stick doesn't look great for his position considering the strides he would have to make in his age 27 and 28 seasons in order to hack it at 1st in the majors.

Manno looks like a guy who has a chance to make it as a middle reliever/Loogy in the majors. Pretty good to get anything for Gomes.

Yeah, I figured once people delved deeper that they wouldn't be as good as they looked at first. All I looked at was their numbers from this season.

dougdirt
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I've seen some interesting stuff recently talking about minor league pitchers. The short of it is that pitchers in the low minors can be extremely effective with mediocre stuff -- they just need a decent changeup they can locate. That said, assets are assets. Even if we paid Gomes' salary completely, the 25 man is improved and the system is a tiny bit better. I'd call that a win.

Someone has been reading Scouting the Sally / Rotohardball haven't they?

But yeah, guys with either really good control or a real strong change up can dominate the lower levels often.

Mario-Rijo
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is so pumped, this seems alot like waiving the white flag to me. In a playoff run a team trading away anything even something as minut as a lefty killer is a bit strange. Maybe I'm wrong but this just doesn't feel right to me. But who knows I did just wake up (work 3rd's).

OldXOhio
07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is so pumped, this seems alot like waiving the white flag to me. In a playoff run a team trading away anything even something as minut as a lefty killer is a bit strange. Maybe I'm wrong but this just doesn't feel right to me. But who knows I did just wake up (work 3rd's).

Walt's contended for a little while now that a power hitting LF is his primary target. I don't see how a trade of Jonny Gomes changes that.

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Doesn't seem that way to me, but Lewis, Heisey and Alonso all struggle with lefties. If any team needed a guy like Gomes for its LF mix its the Reds IMO. Still an Alonso/Heisey platoon is probably a big step up from what we had. Heisey hit lefties well in the minors. He'll probably fill the void OK.

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Walt's contended for a little while now that a power hitting LF is his primary target. I don't see how a trade of Jonny Gomes changes that.

Unless Alonso is the best he could come up with.

dougdirt
07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Doesn't seem that way to me, but Lewis, Heisey and Alonso all struggle with lefties. If any team needed a guy like Gomes for its LF mix its the Reds IMO. Still an Alonso/Heisey platoon is probably a big step up from what we had. Heisey hit lefties well in the minors. He'll probably fill the void OK.

Yonder Alonso vs lefties this season: .313/.380/.527 with 13 walks and 19 strikeouts.

CrackerJack
07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Addition by subtraction either way - nice to see "something" done...guess it's Alonso's time now (as a platoon guy).

Brennaman just wished him well on the TV broadcast.

mth123
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Yonder Alonso vs lefties this season: .313/.380/.527 with 13 walks and 19 strikeouts.

Good. Glad to be wrong. I think last year he struggled. Play him every day then IMO. Let Heisey fill in for Stubbs against RHP and leave Lewis on the bench.

IslandRed
07-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Might be a recognition that:

1. We need one

2. Doesn't look like we'll be able to trade for one

3. So let's hope Alonso is one

I know where Mario-Rijo is coming from, though -- teams trying to contend usually don't subtract from the 25-man to trade for prospects. But if the primary motivation was to clear room for Alonso and see if it provides a spark, then okay.

Unassisted
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I was mocked by some for saying a trade of Gomes wouldn't happen before the Bobblehead night, but the timing certainly seems to dovetail neatly with it.

Kc61
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I have been complaining of late about the overabundance of hitting against LHP and the lack of hitting against RHP.

This move helps solve that problem. Reds need Alonso's lefty bat much more than the Gomes righty stick.

Helps restore lefty righty balance in the Reds offense.

IslandRed
07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
It's funny to read the reactions from the other side. Near-universal reaction from Nats fans: "Why?"

Brutus
07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm fairly certain trading Gomes is a signal of a coming move. I think Alonso's presence is more about having to call *someone* up for the next few days. Alonso and Hermida were the only two OF options, and Hermida would require procurement of waivers to be sent back down again. So Alonso is an easier choice

I feel somewhat confident there will be a new starting LF by Sunday.

I(heart)Freel
07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Could also be a sign that if you're not in the 2012 plans then you could be on your way out. This team is neither contending nor white-flag-waving. It's just smart business to get something now instead of nothing later for impending free agents. Especially if your role isn't an everyday one, and there is someone MLB-ready in AAA at your position.

OldXOhio
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm fairly certain trading Gomes is a signal of a coming move. I think Alonso's presence is more about having to call *someone* up for the next few days.

yep, I think this is simply the prelude to something bigger. Besides, the decision was going to have to be made at some point anyway. If we buy, we've got to clear a spot. If we sell, then why hold on to a guy who won't be around after this year?

Kc61
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Reds lead the NL in hitting against LHP.

They are middling against righty pitching.

They didn't need Gomes. They have enough guys who can't hit right-handed pitching.

This trade helps restore some L-R balance.

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Reds lead the NL in hitting against LHP.

They are middling against righty pitching.

They didn't need Gomes. They have enough guys who can't hit right-handed pitching.

This trade helps restore some L-R balance.

Getting rid of Lewis was probably the right option as he hits neither particularly well.

Simply not using Gomes against righties and restricitng him agaisnt lefties would have kept him as having some value in a minor role. But in the end, guys like that pigeon hole your team to some extent. Losing Gomes and adding anything of value does not hurt us right now as Gomes was largely being used incorrectly as it was (which is where about 95% of the frustration regarding Gomes was directed.)

Mario-Rijo
07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm fairly certain trading Gomes is a signal of a coming move. I think Alonso's presence is more about having to call *someone* up for the next few days. Alonso and Hermida were the only two OF options, and Hermida would require procurement of waivers to be sent back down again. So Alonso is an easier choice

Yeah that's logical but I'm just using my gut on this one, just a hunch. Could just be my pessimistic nature.

edabbs44
07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Jonny, it's been a good run. Take your talents to the nation's capital and make me proud!!!

signalhome
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM

:beerme:

Probably a very good call.

Brutus
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Jonny, it's been a good run. Take your talents to the nation's capital and make me proud!!!

I won't know what to do with myself without seeing you and others debate Jonny. The forum lost a fun topic LOL

edabbs44
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
I won't know what to do with myself without seeing you and others debate Jonny. The forum lost a fun topic LOL

It will be fun seeing where this lands. It always lands somewhere...

http://simviation.com:8000/Gunsight64.JPG

Brutus
07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
It will be fun seeing where this lands. It always lands somewhere...

http://simviation.com:8000/Gunsight64.JPG

It already landed a few weeks ago on the skipper.

IslandRed
07-26-2011, 09:37 PM

You could be right, but I'm having a hard time finding the fit. I really don't see them going rental at this point (Beltran, Ludwick, Willingham) and B.J. Upton isn't the middle-of-the-order thumper type they keep saying they want. Maybe there's a leadoff-hitting left fielder out there who's not a rental that I'm not remembering.

hebroncougar
07-26-2011, 09:38 PM

Because they'd give more to Washington, who is inside their division, than us?

CrackerJack
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
It's funny to read the reactions from the other side. Near-universal reaction from Nats fans: "Why?"

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/4/40/Picture0003.jpg

Brutus
07-26-2011, 09:40 PM
You could be right, but I'm having a hard time finding the fit. I really don't see them going rental at this point (Beltran, Ludwick, Willingham) and B.J. Upton isn't the middle-of-the-order thumper type they keep saying they want. Maybe there's a leadoff-hitting left fielder out there who's not a rental that I'm not remembering.

I don't think Upton is the middle bat they prefer, but I think you take him out of the hitting-suppressed Tropicana field, put him between Votto & Bruce and into GABP, and I think he slugs around .500. Considering his speed & defense and that he's signed for another year, I think he fits the club makeup & profile pretty well.

I don't think Upton is the answer to all the Reds' problems, but I actually think he's a great fit given the dearth of actual game-changing bats.

07-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Walt on FSO basically said the primary reason Gomes was traded was to give Alonso a shot. Not sure he meant it, but he said it.

VR
07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
God bless America. And the Washington Nationals.

Captain Hook
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
It could be as simple as Walt wanted to give Alonso a chance so instead of DFA Gomes he floated his name out there a week ago.Maybe the reason the Braves had interest in him last week is because they knew the Reds wanted to get rid of him.I doubt they'd go out of their way to see if he's available.

Orenda
07-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Alex Gordon has been hitting either lead-off or in the middle of the lineup for KC. KC was open to dealing prior to the year but wanted a young catcher, his name hasn't come up lately, maybe KC was only open to dealing him when they figured he was a bust.

What you won't find in his stat line is the number of times he's called the Cardinals babies this season, which would be once. A pretty solid peripheral if you ask me.

Redhook
07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm very happy Alonso will be given a shot and Dusty won't be allowed to misuse Gomes anymore. Double-positive, although it should've been done months ago just like Cozart.

nemesis
07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm very happy Alonso will be given a shot and Dusty won't be allowed to misuse Gomes anymore. Double-positive, although it should've been done months ago just like Cozart.

Agreed.

But...

Even if the Reds fail to make any more moves for a bat, I am happy with the direction they are now taking.

You have Cozart at SS, Yonder in LF and Frazier doing the Super-sub thing.

Move Hernandez to the Giants and bring up Mesoraco and the circle for the offense is complete.

Also, for what many on here thought Johnny was worth, I felt the Reds got more than a fair value for him.

For one he was gone after this year. He wouldn't have garnered the Reds any type of compensation. Manno may prove to be a Loogy replacement to Bray or nothing at all. But 3 years ago no one on here thought Horst would be much either. But there is a possibility he could amount to something and thats more than the nothing the team would have got otherwise.

The other guy they got is a nice fill in for Alonso in AAA. Where that benefits the Reds is that it keeps them from having to push someone up from AA and posiibly hurting their growth. So thanks Johnny and good job Walt.

Tony Cloninger
07-26-2011, 11:30 PM
When the Reds traded Rafael Landestoy and Wayne Krenchiki...... I am sure , even with the limited resources people had to look up prospects and know their scouting reports or analyze their numbers.... that they said... wow we just got John Franco and Norm Charlton.

So let's hope at least one of these guys can pan out....like either one of those 2 did.

And they both were LHP....so who knows.

Brutus
07-26-2011, 11:39 PM

Dusty hasn't been misusing Gomes for nearly two months. Check out his plate appearances since May... they are fractional compared to the first month of the season.

LoganBuck
07-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I think this is just Major League Baseball's way of working out the grievance over Gary Majewski's undisclosed injury. The Nationals had to accept Gomes, a portion of his salary, and any left over bobble heads, for two living breathing homo sapiens.

Slyder
07-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Upon further review we should have held out for the Presidents. They can run, and they have a history with the Perogis should we run into them!

‪Presidents Race 6/8/10: Presidents, Pierogies, and Sausages!‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5-1J6qhhRQ&feature=related)

‪Teddy Roosevelt tackled by Pierogi - President's Race‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUvL95Il4c&feature=related)
*Edit* And the Bengals should inquire about either Pierogi to play Linebacker

fearofpopvol1
07-27-2011, 01:55 AM
At least they waited until after his bobblehead night.

If Alonso has been brought up to be a PHer and an occasional starter, the Reds might as well have brought up Hermida. Even though I know Dusty favors younger players with the type of pedigree of Alonso, I have a hard time seeing Dusty regularly starting Alonso over Heisey. Maybe I'm wrong though. Heisey had a pretty good night though and obviously will provide better defense than Alonso.

corkedbat
07-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Jest a little nit, but I'm gonna pick it. I'd like to have seen them try this 2-3 weeks ago. Audition Yonder a couple of weeks up here in LF, if it works, maybe you don't have to deal for a bat. If its not so successful, then you have time before the deadline to swing a deal and maybe you're more apt to include Yonder.

Redhook
07-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Dusty hasn't been misusing Gomes for nearly two months. Check out his plate appearances since May... they are fractional compared to the first month of the season.

True, but it took Dusty way too long to get him out of the lineup. Additionally, Gomes is due for a good game or two which could've bought him another month in the lineup. I had/have zero faith in Dusty in how he handled the Gomes situation.

On a different note, I'm very excited to watch Alonso. With the season pretty much toast, it's nice to be able to watch the young players develop in front of your eyes. Hopefully, Mes will be up soon too.

MikeS21
07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Having Yonder around also means more off days for Votto - may be a good thing.

cumberlandreds
07-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh Jonny! Welcome to DC! Now we get to see if the Nix/Gomes platoon would have worked. Gomes seems like a good guy and I wish him the best in DC.

This was a move that had to be made. This season is about done IMO and bringing up Alonso is one of things that had to be done. My hope is that Dusty will actually play Alonso,Frazier and Cozart,when he's healthy, everyday. We need to see if these guys can do it on an everyday basis and can be counted on for the 2012 season. Mesoraco is next in line now. I expect Hernandez to be traded this week so Mes's time is coming. When it does he should be in there everyday too.

Caveat Emperor
07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I think it's important to remember that Joey Votto has shown absolutely no desire to remain in Cincinnati past his period of team control.

While everyone is eager to send Alonso packing, he's under team control for the forseeable future, and could be manning 1st base as early as next July or Opening Day 2013 if Votto is moved to get real return (as opposed to rent-a-player return at the deadline in 2013).

I think any talk about "showcasing" him for a trade might be off-base. I think Alonso is here for Jocketty to evaluate his bat.

redsmetz
07-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I think it's important to remember that Joey Votto has shown absolutely no desire to remain in Cincinnati past his period of team control.

While everyone is eager to send Alonso packing, he's under team control for the forseeable future, and could be manning 1st base as early as next July or Opening Day 2013 if Votto is moved to get real return (as opposed to rent-a-player return at the deadline in 2013).

I think any talk about "showcasing" him for a trade might be off-base. I think Alonso is here for Jocketty to evaluate his bat.

I don't disagree with the conclusion you reach viz Alonso, I would say that Votto has given no indication that he intends to leave either. I think folks continue to over interpret his decision to just sign a contract through his arbitration years. I think the only thing we can say with any certainty is that Joey had no desire to go through the kabuki dance arbitration some- times brings about. What will happen after is anyone's guess.

Benihana
07-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Walt on FSO basically said the primary reason Gomes was traded was to give Alonso a shot. Not sure he meant it, but he said it.

Jest a little nit, but I'm gonna pick it. I'd like to have seen them try this 2-3 weeks ago. Audition Yonder a couple of weeks up here in LF, if it works, maybe you don't have to deal for a bat. If its not so successful, then you have time before the deadline to swing a deal and maybe you're more apt to include Yonder.

This is precisely my problem with Walt. Go back and look at my and others' posts, and we were calling for this two months ago. Now there is no time to properly evaluate Alonso in LF prior to the deadline, and the Reds are effectively shooting blind at the deadline. Do we need a LF? Can/should we trade Alonso for a pitcher? Who knows?

Now there is increased chatter about the Nats getting draft pick compensation (perhaps a handshake/Type B deal) for Gomes this offseason? If that's true, I'm disgusted. I would have rather DFA'd/optioned Lewis, kept Gomes as a lefty-killer, and taken the Type B compensation than the two filler guys we received. However if it's not true and Gomes doesn't turn down arb (or receive an offer for it), than this trade is just OK- decent overall but should have been done months ago.

bucksfan2
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't disagree with the conclusion you reach viz Alonso, I would say that Votto has given no indication that he intends to leave either. I think folks continue to over interpret his decision to just sign a contract through his arbitration years. I think the only thing we can say with any certainty is that Joey had no desire to go through the kabuki dance arbitration some- times brings about. What will happen after is anyone's guess.

I think its foolish to hold onto a guy who is MLB ready worrying about what will happen 2+ years from now. While CE has been harping on the point that Votto won't be here in 3 years I like you have seen no indication saying that he will leave. Its pure speculation on the fact that he signed a contract to buy out his arb years. It was smart on both sides and if the Reds look to extend him long term he may come cheaper after this season than opposed to last year.

If Votto doesn't want to stay a Red it still makes little sense to keep Alonso for that role. The Reds could trade Votto and receive a top notch 1b prospect, the Reds could move Grandal or Mes to 1b depending on who is the better catcher, or they could draft and develop another one over the next couple of seasons, or they got the free agent route. I think Votto stays a Red though the next contract and keeping Alonso (unless he can play a decent LF) doesn't get full value out of the guy.

Benihana
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I think its foolish to hold onto a guy who is MLB ready worrying about what will happen 2+ years from now. While CE has been harping on the point that Votto won't be here in 3 years I like you have seen no indication saying that he will leave. Its pure speculation on the fact that he signed a contract to buy out his arb years. It was smart on both sides and if the Reds look to extend him long term he may come cheaper after this season than opposed to last year.

If Votto doesn't want to stay a Red it still makes little sense to keep Alonso for that role. The Reds could trade Votto and receive a top notch 1b prospect, the Reds could move Grandal or Mes to 1b depending on who is the better catcher, or they could draft and develop another one over the next couple of seasons, or they got the free agent route. I think Votto stays a Red though the next contract and keeping Alonso (unless he can play a decent LF) doesn't get full value out of the guy.

Agree with this. You don't keep a redundant 24/25 year old asset on a team that's trying to contend because of what may happen 2+ years from now. If you believe Alonso is the LF of the future that's fine (he might be), but don't keep him because you're worried about who will play 1B in 2014.

Not to mention, the Reds also have the two biggest power prospects in the organization- Neftali Soto and Juan Duran, as well as David Vidal, Sean Buckley, etc. etc. who could all possibly take over come 2014.

redsmetz
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM

I thought about this later, but it's also possible that the club intends to use Alonso in various roles through the season and then see what he may bring in the off-season. Now there's risk in that, but his bat helps now and after the season may be the better place to get value for him, IMO. The same may be true for Grandal too, particularly since he'll be long enough into his contract so he can just be traded without having to be a PTBNL as he would be until mid-August.

Redsfan320
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't disagree with those like CE who say Votto has shown no interest to stay. While I don't recall him ever directly saying anything about leaving, he seems to have no particular liking of the city or the organization, and he does seem to always make some comment when they play in Toronto (shouldn't say always, just twice I think), but still. I get the hometown thing, but you never hear about how much Bruce loves Texas (etc. or would love to play there) when we play in Houston, for example. To me, anyway, Votto has no interest in staying with Cincy. I think its possible he stays, but no home-team discount for us. JMO,

PS: Nice work with the trade, Walt; good luck in DC Jonny!

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't disagree with those like CE who say Votto has shown no interest to stay. While I don't recall him ever directly saying anything about leaving, he seems to have no particular liking of the city or the organization, and he does seem to always make some comment when they play in Toronto (shouldn't say always, just twice I think), but still. I get the hometown thing, but you never hear about how much Bruce loves Texas (etc. or would love to play there) when we play in Houston, for example. To me, anyway, Votto has no interest in staying with Cincy. I think its possible he stays, but no home-team discount for us. JMO,

PS: Nice work with the trade, Walt; good luck in DC Jonny!

Votto doesn't even live in Toronto or anywhere in Canada anymore - he lives in Sarasota, Fla. That makes the Rays then Marlins his two closest-to-home teams. And the Orioles train in Sarasota, so don't discount that. Who knows, maybe the Reds ill-conceived decision to relocate spring training out to the middle of nowhere in Arizona will be the straw that breaks Joey's tenure in Cincinnati.

As for Joey never saying anything about the city, he doesn't really talk about much of anything nor has he ever really said which city he likes. We know this about Joey Votto:

- he grew up liking baseball over hockey (a rarity in Canada)
- he is a huge fan of the Los Angeles Lakers
- he thoroughly enjoyed his time in Dayton while playing for the Dragons and remains very close to his host family there from those days
- he is good friends with Jay Bruce
- he is a quiet person who doesn't appreciate much attention

I don't get anything out of that or anything else I've heard that he's eager to leave Cincinnati. Like a lot of players, he's probably more interested in seeing just what's out there for him to make when the time comes.

cumberlandreds
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I think Votto is just being smart by not signing past his free agency period. If he has another MVP season in 2012 or 13 he will command the biggest of salaries. He doesn't want to lose out on that by signing past 2013. On the other hand of course it's a risk by not signing. If he has a really bad injury that wrecks his career then he will only be able to sign for beans or nothing at all. IMO he chose the correct risk. I have neither read or seen anything that even vaguely hints at him not wanting to sign with the Reds in the future. I think his market price in 2013 will dictate whether he signs with Cincy or elsewhere.

CySeymour
07-27-2011, 11:44 AM
How about breaking Alonso in by having him lead off for a while?

Homer Bailey
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Who knows, maybe the Reds ill-conceived decision to relocate spring training out to the middle of nowhere in Arizona will be the straw that breaks Joey's tenure in Cincinnati.

Wait.... What?!?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Wait.... What?!?

I was never a fan of leaving Florida, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The Reds are an eastern team and, as such, should hold spring training in Florida. It's more convenient to get to from the Cincinnati area and there are far, far more Cincinnati retirees in Florida than Phoenix. The Arizona move was a John Allen special that had to do with money and nothing else.

Benihana
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

The Reds are an eastern team and, as such, should hold spring training in Florida. It's more convenient to get to from the Cincinnati area and there are far, far more Cincinnati retirees in Florida than Phoenix. The Arizona move was a John Allen special that had to do with money and nothing else.

When does that deal expire? What are the chances Reds could come back to FL. Count me in the camp that would like to see it.

bucksfan2
07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

The Reds weren't a fan of leaving Florida either. Heck they did everything in their power to stay in Florida but Sarasota wouldn't have them. Go back and read any report out there from the Reds or from the reporters about the Reds trying to stay in Sarasota. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

FWIW I don't think its that big of a deal except to the big time hard core baseball fans that made an annual trip down to Florida. But then again I would want to see what the attendance looks like now as opposed to what it looked like in Florida. And the facilities I hear are about 100% better.

Homer Bailey
07-27-2011, 12:53 PM

That's not the part that needs explaining. The part where you said you think that is what may cause Votto to leave the Reds is the part that has me utterly confused.

Tom Servo
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
As for Joey never saying anything about the city, he doesn't really talk about much of anything nor has he ever really said which city he likes. We know this about Joey Votto:

- he grew up liking baseball over hockey (a rarity in Canada)
- he is a huge fan of the Los Angeles Lakers
- he thoroughly enjoyed his time in Dayton while playing for the Dragons and remains very close to his host family there from those days
- he is good friends with Jay Bruce
- he is a quiet person who doesn't appreciate much attention

Exactly. It's not like Prince Fielder either where we know he's spurned the Brewers in extension talks and is leaving as soon as he's a free agent, Votto just keeps to himself and really gives us no clue as to what he's really thinking.

RichRed
07-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Nats' GM Mike Rizzo on the Gomes deal:

But Rizzo is not ready to punt on this season, and likely more important, Gomes is projected to be a Type B free agent. That means the Nationals will receive a supplementary draft pick as compensation if they offer Gomes arbitration and he ends up signing with another team. The possible draft pick was a consideration when targeting Gomes.

“We’re in it to win,” Rizzo said. “We like to win every game. This guy gives us an added boost off the bench. It’s a compensation pick for us if we don’t get something done for him long-term. We thought it was a good, prudent move in giving up part of our depth and our strength in the minor leagues. That’s what you draft players for.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/mike-rizzo-on-the-nationals-trade-for-jonny-gomes/2011/07/26/gIQAvEflbI_blog.html

IslandRed
07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Votto doesn't even live in Toronto or anywhere in Canada anymore - he lives in Sarasota, Fla.

Florida is where you'll find most Canadians who have the ability to spend the winter somewhere else. :cool:

REDREAD
07-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Who ever argued that Gomes was worth a lot in a trade?
The Reds got a pretty good return on Gomes.. considering he was a guy that no one wanted for two years. It's a lot better than outright releasing him, as some were lobbying for. Good move by Walt to get something for Gomes. Not only that, this saves a little bit of money that might go into signing draft picks (When Dunn was traded, they used the savings to sign a couple picks).
Much better than outright releasing the guy. Plus, it's good for Gomes to go to a team that wants him.

Any time a trade is made for prospects, it's easy to say that they will probably never reach the majors.. That's why the team that gets the more established player usually wins the trade.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
That's not the part that needs explaining. The part where you said you think that is what may cause Votto to leave the Reds is the part that has me utterly confused.

No, I was just speculating that it could be a deciding factor. Who knows? Maybe the opportunity to spend another month and a half at home in Sarasota with a team that trains there would be a big deal for Joey. Just speculation, nothing more.

fearofpopvol1
07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
From Twitter:

m_sheldon Heisey to get most of the chances in LF, Baker said. #reds

Given that this is true, why not bring up Hermida and let Alonso get his ABs in?

Brutus
07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
From Twitter:

Given that this is true, why not bring up Hermida and let Alonso get his ABs in?

I stand behind what I said yesterday evening: I believe it's because the Reds have intentions of acquiring a starting LF, and Alonso was an easier short-term solution as he could be easily optioned back to AAA if/when they acquired another bat.

edabbs44
07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
From Twitter:

Probably b/c Hermida sucks.

reds1869
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I stand behind what I said yesterday evening: I believe it's because the Reds have intentions of acquiring a starting LF, and Alonso was an easier short-term solution as he could be easily optioned back to AAA if/when they acquired another bat.

You have a very good point there.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Heard that Washington may platoon Gomes and Laynce Nix.

That sounds familiar...

reds1869
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Heard that Washington may platoon Gomes and Laynce Nix.

That sounds familiar...

The Washington Nationals: recycling bad Cincinnati Reds ideas since 2004.

signalhome
07-27-2011, 07:37 PM

.395 wOBA and 147 wRC+ in AAA so far this year.

Not that I believe he will be able to do anything resembling that at the MLB level, but the guy has been hitting really well in Louisville. Then again, that great production is the beneficiary of a completely unsustainable .372 BABIP.

Brutus
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
.395 wOBA and 147 wRC+ in AAA so far this year.

Not that I believe he will be able to do anything resembling that at the MLB level, but the guy has been hitting really well in Louisville. Then again, that great production is the beneficiary of a completely unsustainable .372 BABIP.

Agreed.

His LD% is 27% so far this year. That alone is worth a .200 xBABIP. But with his GB and flyball rates added in, his total xBABIP is a very high .330, but still not quite to the .372 mark.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2011, 02:32 AM

Is he any worse than Gomes would be? I'm doubting it.

WebScorpion
07-28-2011, 06:14 AM
This looks to me like 5 games behind 3 different teams and dropping has Walt thinking this isn't our year. I look for Hernandez to be dealt for prospects next. Then who knows?... Phillips, if they don't think they can sign him. Arroyo?

camisadelgolf
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
This looks to me like 5 games behind 3 different teams and dropping has Walt thinking this isn't our year. I look for Hernandez to be dealt for prospects next. Then who knows?... Phillips, if they don't think they can sign him. Arroyo?
I hope so. Hernandez to the Giants for Ryan Verdugo sounds fair to me. Unless the Reds have a trade in the works, BP is needed for next year (and maybe beyond). Because of his contract, Bronson Arroyo is stuck a Red through 2013.

MikeS21
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
What a dumb move to promote Alonso if you are going to sit him. He needs to play every day.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2011, 02:34 PM
What a dumb move to promote Alonso if you are going to sit him. He needs to play every day.

Totally agree. Might as well kept Gomes if Alonso is just going to sit. Alonso could at least be getting some AB's in Louisville.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
How about Jonny Gomes' debut last night with the Nats ... 0-3, including two crucial outs and grounded into a double play with the bases loaded in a 5-2 loss to Florida.

Gomes had this to say about his GIDP:

"I can’t remember the last time I grounded into a double play with the bases loaded, maybe ever. I had to go back in the archives to find that. So I’m a little bit out of my element, things like that. But I felt good at the plate."

Uh, maybe he's not grounding into many double plays because you do actually have to make contact to hit into those.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/in-rough-debut-jonny-gomes-still-in-interview-stage/2011/07/28/gIQA9fKkfI_blog.html

Caveat Emperor
07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Alonso isn't playing again tonight. I really don't understand why you'd call a top prospect up and sit him on the bench.

Defies any reason or logic I can come up with. He's not getting better on the bench, he isn't improving his trade value on the bench. What's the point?

Caveman Techie
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Oh come on, he's gotten 2 whole AB's since he's been up, what more do you want?

Will M
07-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Alonso isn't playing again tonight. I really don't understand why you'd call a top prospect up and sit him on the bench.

Defies any reason or logic I can come up with. He's not getting better on the bench, he isn't improving his trade value on the bench. What's the point?

see one Brandon Belt. the Reds aren't the only team who calls us top prospects then doesn't play them.

Always Red
07-29-2011, 03:50 PM

I just saw that too, and can't believe it. Fred Lewis? still? really?

In a way it reminds me of when Kearns was shipped off to DC, and the GM du jour pronounced that it was "Denorfia's time to play." And he played one game and went back to the bench. Deno has turned out to be a fine 4th OF.

How the heck are they gonna develop Yonder with him collecting splinters? Should have just left him in Louisville- at least he was playing.

Almost seems (in my head at least!:D) as if Dusty is being a bit passive aggressive and not playing Alonso because he is miffed at the FO that Gomes was traded...

Brutus
07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Alonso wasn't called up to play. He was called up to be a temporary filler for a few days until the Reds acquired a leftfielder.

This is easier calling him up than Hermida.

If the deadline comes and goes without an acquisition, I promise you'll see Alonso playing a lot more. But the only reason Alonso is up is because the Reds had to call someone up until they made another move.

membengal
07-29-2011, 03:59 PM

3!

Caveman Techie
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
3!

Ohh....I must of blinked.

Strikes Out Looking
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM
I guess Yonder passed up his opportunity to date Dusty's daughter.

membengal
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Ohh....I must of blinked.

I was answering your question as to what more I might want. 3!

edabbs44
07-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Maybe he is being shopped and they don't want him to get hurt or look completely awful in the field?

dougdirt
07-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Maybe he is being shopped and they don't want him to get hurt or look completely awful in the field?

Every team in baseball knows exactly what Alonso can do in left field. They all have scouts who watch the Bats play. He has played out there all year for them. They know what he is. Nothing he does aside from getting hurt is going to change their opinion on him over the next 3 days.