PDA

View Full Version : Gomes traded!

jaydeebee21
07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
with cash to the nationals for 2 minor league players

goreds18
07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Don't even care what we get in return! So happy about this!

KYRedLeg
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM
So, now who are you people going to hate?

drowg14
07-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Did some digging after I read this

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/nationals-acquire-jonny-gomes.html

Chris Sabowned
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Gomes traded for LHP Chris Manno and OF Bill Rhinehart from the Washington Nationals in exchange for OF Jonny Gomes and cash considerations.

1B/OF Yonder Alonso (#23) was recalled from Class AAA Louisville to replace Gomes on the Reds’ roster. He will be in uniform for tonight’s game against the New York Mets at Great American Ball Park.

Krawhitham
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Why would the Nats want a rent a player. They are going NOWHERE this season

Must be some crappy minor league players

jaydeebee21
07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Gomes traded for LHP Chris Manno and OF Bill Rhinehart from the Washington Nationals in exchange for OF Jonny Gomes and cash considerations.

1B/OF Yonder Alonso (#23) was recalled from Class AAA Louisville to replace Gomes on the Reds’ roster. He will be in uniform for tonight’s game against the New York Mets at Great American Ball Park.

Chris Manno numbers look pretty good

Relief Pitcher in A ball.

1.04 ERA in 43.1 innings

0.808 WHIP
3.1 BB/9
14.3 K/9

Krawhitham
07-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Christopher Manno
22 years old
1.04 ERA in A ball

WTF is Gomes secretly paid of solid gold and the Nats are going to melt him down

Red Raindog
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Chris Manno numbers look pretty good

Relief Pitcher in A ball.

1.04 ERA in 43.1 innings

0.808 WHIP
3.1 BB/9
14.3 K/9

Yeah -- numbers suggest a big wow

Krawhitham
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Bill Rhinehart is a 26 year old still in AA

But with 21 HR this season

mu4103
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Do you think this is the first move of a couple. There has potential to be a snow ball effect here. Who replaced Gomes on the line-up card?

goreds18
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Not to mention the Outfielder we got has good numbers at AA Harrisburg:

.283, 21 HRs, 59 RBIs, 59 Ks in 276 ABs

I'll take it

drowg14
07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Do you think this is the first move of a couple. There has potential to be a snow ball effect here. Who replaced Gomes on the line-up card?

This is what I am wondering. Wonder who will be moved up to replace is spot on the 40 man, or if that won't be resolved till another deal or 2 goes through.

FireDusty
07-26-2011, 08:08 PM

Best trades are sometimes the ones never made. Put the kid in Left Field, live with the bumps, and you'll have an impact hitter for a long time.

Bravo Walt. :thumbup:

Vottomatic
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Alonso called up.

FireDusty
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
So, now who are you people going to hate?Phil Thompson

mu4103
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
So is Alonso the new LFer? Is Heisey?

Who Dey Time

I'll take it

I will refer to this as top prospect trade bait. Another move is coming I think.

FireDusty
So is Alonso the new LFer? Is Heisey?I expect them to share some time.

Who Dey Time
07-26-2011, 08:14 PM
So is Alonso the new LFer? Is Heisey?

Heisey is in the lineup tonight. Alonso is here and in uniform.

brm7675
07-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Well there it is folks...that is Walt's big move to "improve' the team and to make a run for the division over the next 60...so no more need of trade talk...trust me Walt is done.

mu4103
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Heisey is in the lineup tonight. Alonso is here and in uniform.

Doubt Alonso would get right off the plane and play (meaning starting today). Splitting time, I think would make for a good LF. Interesting that Gomes' name was still on the line-up card even though the move was so certain that Alonso was already there. Well to get anything for Gomes is good. Good luck. It wasn't his fault that Dusty used him so poor. Go hit about 20 HRs in D.C.

BigJohn
07-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Addition, by subtraction?
LOL!!!!

FireDusty
07-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Well there it is folks...that is Walt's big move to "improve' the team and to make a run for the division over the next 60...so no more need of trade talk...trust me Walt is done.

I don't want any trades. We need to coach up what we have and look toward next year and the years after that.

SwingKing01
07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I will refer to this as top prospect trade bait. Another move is coming I think.

I agree, seems like a good move, whether they turn them or not. We aren't using him anyway, why let him go at the end of the season and get nothing in return. I would assume the Nationals have worked out an extension with Gomes' agent. I kinda hate to see Gomes go as bad as he was, but there was no doubt that he gave 110% every time he was on the field.

Jr's Boy
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't want any trades. We need to coach up what we have and look toward next year and the years after that.

To heck with that.We already went from ''next year and the years after that'' for a decade.Time to win.

Red Raindog

I'll take it

He's 26 -- 27 later this year ----

BluegrassRedleg
I'll miss Gomes' effort and spirit, but WTH is Washington thinking???

Krawhitham
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
http://yfrog.com/j3m9jz

SwingKing01
07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Gomes did not look happy about leaving....

izzy's dad
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Is Yonder here to stay or is he being showcased for a bigger move? Meanwhile the Reds look like dog shift tonight.

FireDusty
07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
To heck with that.We already went from ''next year and the years after that'' for a decade.Time to win.The best way to see this team go on an extended run of playoff contention is to not trade any prospects.

Get them up here and get them acclimated to the Big Leagues and still finish 85-77.

Trading prospects so we go 88-74 instead is the fastest way back to the dark days of 2000-2009.

FireDusty
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Is Yonder here to stay or is he being showcased for a bigger move? Meanwhile the Reds look like dog shift tonight.Here to stay.

texasdave
07-26-2011, 09:10 PM
What does Washington want with Jonny Gomes? We had to pay someone to take him off our hands.

Old NDN
07-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Nats may turn around and put him in a deal (Braves?). No doubt he blew his opportunity here. But if the Reds traded everybody who has underachieved this year, there wouldn't be many left. Who's the next whipping boy?

Pete4prez
07-26-2011, 11:42 PM
This is a good trade, we were beating a dead horse with Gomes, this opens the door for Alonzo.

Jefferson24
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
This is a good trade, we were beating a dead horse with Gomes, this opens the door for Alonzo.

I doubt Alonso actually sees that much playing time. He will just be another left handed bat off the bench.

bshall2105
07-26-2011, 11:53 PM
I doubt Alonso actually sees that much playing time. He will just be another left handed bat off the bench.

I think it will be Alonso/Heisey platoon with Lewis as the LH bat off the bench.

webbbj
07-26-2011, 11:56 PM
WTF is with the Nats and acquiring former reds players? Since 2005 these are the former reds the nats have acquired? The reds get rid of their trash and the Nats gobble them up

2011: Gomes, Todd Coffey, jerry hairston jr, lance nix
2010: adam dunn, willy taveras
2009: ron villone, austin kearns, corey patterson, dmitri young
2008: felipe lopez, willy mo pena
2007: ryan wagner,
2006: jose guillen
2005: hector carrasco

Billy Hamilton's Legs
07-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Is anyone else somehow disappointed by this trade? I kinda am... Just because I actually like jonny better than fred lewis. I think if he was used properly (only lefties), he is pretty valuable. A .330, .439, .537 line is pretty damn good against lefties. I'm sometimes a sucker for clubhouse guys too. I just liked his attitude; you always knew you were getting the guy's best effort which means something. But the reds do free up a little cash and open up a spot...

LeDoux
07-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Good luck in Washington, Jonny. I remember watching some really good games from you. I hope you have many more.

Pete4prez
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I think it will be Alonso/Heisey platoon with Lewis as the LH bat off the bench.

Agree.

dcameron24
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Is Yonder here to stay or is he being showcased for a bigger move? Meanwhile the Reds look like dog shift tonight.

Walt said on FSO that Yonder basically forced his hand and it was time to bring him up to see what he can do. That kind of makes it seem like he's here to stay.

However, Walt also said yesterday afternoon that nothing was imminent on the trade front... then traded Gomes a couple hours later.

Walt being Walt. ;)

bounty37h
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Seriously dude, if your going to be nothing but be a negative whiner all the time, would you please find another team/board to do nothing but b and moan on??? Your act has gotten old. If not, is there an ignore function on this site-I hate doing that to anyone but this is making me hate come to this board anymore.

mikdavrut
07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Seriously dude, if your going to be nothing but be a negative whiner all the time, would you please find another team/board to do nothing but b and moan on??? Your act has gotten old. If not, is there an ignore function on this site-I hate doing that to anyone but this is making me hate come to this board anymore.

Yeah, I sort of agree with you. He makes some good points some times and I agree with him some of the time but, what is it? 2000+ posts or something like that of near constant bellyaching and just negativity in general? I think it's definitely a bit excessive. Another problem is I do not think I have EVER seen him make a positive/complimentary post about the team. I'm not saying he never has made such a post, just saying that if he has, I have not seen it. It's certainly getting a bit old indeed.

Girevik
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
However, Walt also said yesterday afternoon that nothing was imminent on the trade front... then traded Gomes a couple hours later.

Walt being Walt. ;)

There was a quote from Walt in today's paper in an article about the trade. He said something along the lines of "we have a lot of discussions ongoing, but nothing is close. But then, if you would have asked me a few hours ago I would have said the Gomes trade wasn't close and it just came together all of a sudden."

I think in Walt's mind you're not "close" until a deal is done. And even if you thought a deal WAS close, you'd be foolish to announce it IMO.

code
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I wish Johnny the best. The start of last season was amazing for him. He was a fun player to watch and you could diffrently see that he loved being out there. It's a shame that he never came back around after the mid of last season.

Good Luck Johnny!

Billy Hamilton's Legs
07-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I sort of agree with you. He makes some good points some times and I agree with him some of the time but, what is it? 2000+ posts or something like that of near constant bellyaching and just negativity in general? I think it's definitely a bit excessive. Another problem is I do not think I have EVER seen him make a positive/complimentary post about the team. I'm not saying he never has made such a post, just saying that if he has, I have not seen it. It's certainly getting a bit old indeed.

Add me to the list of people who are tired of seeing a new thread after the Reds don't score for 3 innings or a pitcher gives up more than 3 runs in an outing. I think if you have this kind of problem; wait an hour after you think something is worthy of posting. If after that hour you still think it's a great idea to post, then go ahead...

CrosleyField
07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Jonny, Good Luck in DC

krm1580
07-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Is anyone else somehow disappointed by this trade? I kinda am... Just because I actually like jonny better than fred lewis. I think if he was used properly (only lefties), he is pretty valuable. A .330, .439, .537 line is pretty damn good against lefties. I'm sometimes a sucker for clubhouse guys too. I just liked his attitude; you always knew you were getting the guy's best effort which means something. But the reds do free up a little cash and open up a spot...

I am somewhere between disappointed and indifferent probably more indifferent. Jonny Gomes was not going to be a Red in 2012 regardless of whether they traded him or let him walk at the end of the season.

If he walks the Reds got nothing, instead they traded him and it appears they got organizational filler. It would have been nice to get a better return but its not like Jonny Gomes is going to net you Bryce Harper. So call me indifferent.

bounty37h
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
I am somewhere between disappointed and indifferent probably more indifferent. Jonny Gomes was not going to be a Red in 2012 regardless of whether they traded him or let him walk at the end of the season.

If he walks the Reds got nothing, instead they traded him and it appears they got organizational filler. It would have been nice to get a better return but its not like Jonny Gomes is going to net you Bryce Harper. So call me indifferent.

Thats kind of how I feel; dont know if real plus or negative for the team now or future but I did enjoy watching him play. He was with the Durham Bulls so got to see him here a lot and loved watching him with Cincy. A fun loving good guy, best wishes to him!

mlh1981
07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
His "exit interview" was total class. As much as I didn't like him as a player, he's a very classy guy.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
07-27-2011, 09:03 PM
His "exit interview" was total class. As much as I didn't like him as a player, he's a very classy guy.

Definitely agree with this. I actually thought he did a good job of defending himself during the interview, talking about how his non-average numbers were there. It makes me reconsider the light in which we viewed him, I look at his OPS with RISP this year and see .705, but that's with a .231 babip. I really do wish the best for the guy, more so than the average player that leaves in a trade like this. All I know is that I pick Gomes over Fred Lewis any day of the week.