PDA

View Full Version : Next year, same problem?

I(heart)Freel
07-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Here's an out-of-left field question... literally.

Won't the Reds have the same lineup problem next year that they're experiencing this year, i.e. a right handed thumper to slot between Votto and Bruce in the batting order? Rolen admirably filled that role last year and likely was one of the reasons the offense was so well-rounded. We can't think of Rolen as anything better than a 100-game 6- or 7-hole hitter moving forward.

Next year, do the Reds have a player in-house that could fill that role? It appears no, since they'd be in that role now. BPhil is there out of necessity. I might argue it's not his ideal spot.

So, then, I ask... why not take that phat package of players that we're rumored to be dangling in front of Colorado for Ubaldo and instead offer that to, say, the Dodgers for Matt Kemp. What would it take for a financially-uncertain team like LA to notice an offer like that? Young, cost-controlled MLB-ready talent, both pitching and offense.

If not Kemp then someone else who slots as a true cleanup hitter who bats from the right side (or switch-hits) and can play left field, and who is controlled through at least 2012?

UKFlounder
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Perhaps, assuming no moves in the offseason, whcih is possible, but not certain.

I thought the Dodgers had made it clear that Kemp (and maybe 1 or 2 others) was untouchable

Regarding your last paragraph, who are the names that fit that description and may be available? That's the problem - there's not a lot of choice out there right now, at least seemingly

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Hunter Pence?

medford
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't do it, but I wonder if the Reds think Meserasco would fit in well b/w votto & Bruce. Or perhaps:

Stubbs
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Phillips
Meserasco
Alonso
Rolen
Pitcher

Hard to imagine dustry dropping Rolen that far in the linup, no matter the slash line.

LincolnparkRed
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't do it, but I wonder if the Reds think Meserasco would fit in well b/w votto & Bruce. Or perhaps:

Stubbs
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Phillips
Meserasco
Alonso
Rolen
Pitcher

Hard to imagine dustry dropping Rolen that far in the linup, no matter the slash line.

I think with that lineup, that is where Scott deserves to hit unless you bat Alonso 6, Rolen 7, and catchers bat 8 dude

redsmetz
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Perhaps, assuming no moves in the offseason, whcih is possible, but not certain.

I thought the Dodgers had made it clear that Kemp (and maybe 1 or 2 others) was untouchable

Regarding your last paragraph, who are the names that fit that description and may be available? That's the problem - there's not a lot of choice out there right now, at least seemingly

Although I can understand some disagreeing with this given Jocketty's inactivity for the most part the last two seasons, I'd be very surprised if some moves aren't made in the off-season. We've got a lot of pieces that can be moved as we've seen players have some success at various levels.

Dan
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
The White Sox have made it known that Carlos Quentin is available.

SirFelixCat
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Is Heisey simply not an option?

PuffyPig
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Hunter Pence?

Is an .800 OPS LF making huge money and will cost primo prospects really the solution?

PuffyPig
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Stubbs
Cozart
Votto
Bruce
Phillips
Meserasco
Alonso
Rolen
Pitcher

I'd be hard pressed to pencil Cozart into the #2 spot until he takes his 1st major league walk.

Even with an unrealistic .345 BABIP, his OBA is .324.

corkedbat
07-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Other than a pre-slide Rolen, we had the same problems last year.

HokieRed
07-27-2011, 06:29 PM
As long as we're proposing 2012 lineups, I'll propose mine.
1. Sappelt CF
2. Phillips 2b
3. Votto LF
4. Bruce RF
5. Mesoraco C
6. Alonso 1b
7. Rolen or a healthy 3b
8. Cozart SS

RedsManRick
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Heisey has been a 1.0 win player in 219 PA this year. Was 1.6 in 226 PA last year.

Give him 600 PA and at that rate, he's a solid average to above average major league regular.

He's not a stud, but a .252/.318/.448 with plus defense plays just fine in LF these days. For reference, of LF with at least 200 PA, Heisey's woBA ranks 13th of the 43 guys Fangraphs includes as LF.

I think LF is fine. The problem has been you can't get the offense we've gotten out of LF while getting Jonny Gomes quality of defense too. Get a good glove out there every day and you help the pitching out.

dougdirt
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd be hard pressed to pencil Cozart into the #2 spot until he takes his 1st major league walk.

Even with an unrealistic .345 BABIP, his OBA is .324.

Cozart is more of a high contact than a high walk guy. But he also gets the zone pretty well. He probably isn't a guy I would bat second long term until he proves himself, but I wouldn't worry about him and his plate discipline.

I(heart)Freel
07-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Is Heisey simply not an option?

I like Heisey a lot, but he isn't the scary 4 hitter that I think this lineup needs. St Lou always stacks its 3-4-5 spots with thumpers. Great production there can mask a lot of inconsistent hitters elsewhere (Stubbs, Cozie, Rolen, Han/Mes) in the lineup.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-28-2011, 12:39 AM
I love Rolen, but I don't expect anything from him next year.

I just see him more as a coach and think he's pretty much done. At least they got a good year and half out of him, which was more than I thought when they brought him over.

3B is an issue going forward as I don't think Frazier is the answer.