PDA

View Full Version : Who is running this team and what is it's Plan?

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Lets see you bench Heisey for most of the season and play the non hitting Gomes. You trade Gomes and bring up one of your most highly reguarded prospects to sit the bench? Really this makes no sense and goes back to the MAIN problem with this franchise, WHO IS RUNNING THIS TEAM?

Stray
07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I believe a man by the name of Mr. Walt Jocketty is running this team.

Are you suggesting that we called up Alonso to take the place of Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, or Chris Heisey? Really?

AintlifeGrande
07-27-2011, 05:33 PM
No he is saying why call up a prospect to just have him on the bench and not start.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Are you suggesting that we called up Alonso to take the place of Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, or Chris Heisey? Really?

I put Alonso in LF and see what the kid can do. What do you want to do with our top prospect...have him ride the pine and PH?

R_Webb18
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
he will play just not everyday. my guess he starts 2mrrow.

drowg14
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I put Alonso in LF and see what the kid can do. What do you want to do with our top prospect...have him ride the pine and PH?

I would argue that Alonso is not our top prospect. I think Mes is better. But I agree with the point. No point in bringing him up to let him sit.

BuckWild03
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
While I don't always agree with the lineup that Dusty runs out there, I feel like no one is ever going to be satisfied. People on here were complaining about the lack of playing time that Heisey was getting. Now it looks as if he is going to get the majority of the starts in left and we're complaining about Yonder not starting? Let's not forget that Yonder is not, by any means, a left fielder and if he is up here to be "showcased" as so many think he is, why let teams in on that flaw? Let him get his at bats when we can, but by no means should Dusty play him just because he's the new toy. Just my two cents of course but I certainly think Chris Heisey is the best option, by far, in left field right now. Let's go Redlegs!

40YrRedsFan
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Here is a quote from Kenny Williams on sitting Alex Rios: "Here's what I told Ozzie: Do not worry about the size of the contract," Williams said. "Just worry about putting the players (on the field) on a given day that can help you win. I'm sending a message to everyone."

It would be nice if our management had this approach!

40YrRedsFan
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM

Maybe they brought up Alonso to dangle Votto for a trade? I doubt it myself.
More likely to showcase Alonso.

Stray
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM

As another poster pointed out in the game thread, we have a fly ball pitcher on the mound tonight so that factors into the decision. Run your best defensive OF out there.

Still though, Heisey is going to get his shot as the everyday LFer (which is what I have read many on here say they wanted). Stubbs is our immediate plan for CF, and our future. He plays. Jay Bruce is our immediate plan in RF, and our future since we signed him to a new contract.

We didn't call up Alonso to be thrown into the starting lineup every night, I'm really surprised you read it that way. He was called up because Gomes was traded and we'll get a chance to see how he plays. He's a power LH bat off of the bench and we didn't have one.

I do not see any real future in Cincinnati for Alonso because of the guys ahead of him. Unless someone is traded obviously. We aren't going to blow the whole thing up at this moment, not sure why you think we would.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:41 PM
While I don't always agree with the lineup that Dusty runs out there, I feel like no one is ever going to be satisfied. People on here were complaining about the lack of playing time that Heisey was getting. Now it looks as if he is going to get the majority of the starts in left and we're complaining about Yonder not starting? Let's not forget that Yonder is not, by any means, a left fielder and if he is up here to be "showcased" as so many think he is, why let teams in that flaw? Let him get his at bats when we can, but by no means should Dusty play him just because he's the new toy. Just my two cents of course but I certainly think Chris Heisey is the best option, by far, in left field right now. Let's go Redlegs!

If you are not going to play your top prospect, having him sit on the bench doesn't help his growth. He needs to play and learn, what reason would the Reds have for bringing him up, our "bench" play is one of our strengths. Trust me teams have been scouting Yonder in the minors, they know what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are already.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:41 PM

tough to be "showcased" on the bench

Stray
07-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Probably both. We don't need to bench a starter and throw Alonso out there to showcase him though. To the point where it annoys a lot of people, everyone should know that if you are on Dusty Baker's team you will play. He makes sure of that.

Stray
07-27-2011, 05:43 PM
tough to be "showcased" on the bench

It's his second game up here this year. I think this is a bit of an overreaction.

He will play.

AintlifeGrande
07-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Alonso has been absolutely crushing the ball at AAA.You mean he dont deserve to start after toiling away in the Reds snails pace minors.We need a spark,and Yonder could be just that.Look around MLB and see the young talent doing well for their ballclubs when given the chance.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
As another poster pointed out in the game thread, we have a fly ball pitcher on the mound tonight so that factors into the decision. Run your best defensive OF out there.

Still though, Heisey is going to get his shot as the everyday LFer (which is what I have read many on here say they wanted). Stubbs is our immediate plan for CF, and our future. He plays. Jay Bruce is our immediate plan in RF, and our future since we signed him to a new contract.

We didn't call up Alonso to be thrown into the starting lineup every night, I'm really surprised you read it that way. He was called up because Gomes was traded and we'll get a chance to see how he plays. He's a power LH bat off of the bench and we didn't have one.

I do not see any real future in Cincinnati for Alonso because of the guys ahead of him. Unless someone is traded obviously. We aren't going to blow the whole thing up at this moment, not sure why you think we would.

Why did the Reds play Yonder in LF all season at AAA so far if NOT for the thought he would play LF up here? I mean really are we going to continue to waste our young talent? If the Reds have NO place for Yonder then deal him and deal him now for anything because there is no real reason for him to be on the team. Again this franchise continues to lack any real direction or leadership and you know what...it's showing up Big time this year.:thumbdown:

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Probably both. We don't need to bench a starter and throw Alonso out there to showcase him though. To the point where it annoys a lot of people, everyone should know that if you are on Dusty Baker's team you will play. He makes sure of that.

Really, since being called up how many games has Frazier started over Cairo? Is there any question who is the future at 3rd base for this franchise between those two? Why is Cairo getting more starts......hmmm could it be that dreaded veteran creaminess again?

BuckWild03
07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
If you are not going to play your top prospect, having him sit on the bench doesn't help his growth. He needs to play and learn, what reason would the Reds have for bringing him up, our "bench" play is one of our strengths. Trust me teams have been scouting Yonder in the minors, they know what his strengths are and what his weaknesses are already.

So throwing your top prospect out there for experience is more important than playing a guy that has proven his value to the team all year? This is a professional baseball team trying to win games right now. They're five games out. They don't have time to throw a guy out there for the sake of getting him experience right now. Lose a couple more games and maybe, but right now, it's make or break and you have to run the best all around players out there.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
It's his second game up here this year. I think this is a bit of an overreaction.

He will play.

A) If the purpose of bringing him up is to "showcase him" when you only have 5 games to go till the tradeing deadline, sitting him is stupid

B) Why not let him get his feet wet at home against a rather average/below average pitching staff? Wait your right, lets start him against the Giants this weekend, their pitching bites....

Stray
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Why did the Reds play Yonder in LF all season at AAA so far if NOT for the thought he would play LF up here? I mean really are we going to continue to waste our young talent? If the Reds have NO place for Yonder then deal him and deal him now for anything because there is no real reason for him to be on the team. Again this franchise continues to lack any real direction or leadership and you know what...it's showing up Big time this year.:thumbdown:

Who is saying he won't be dealt? I think it is a really good possibility.

You seem to operate under the assumption that if a guy plays well in AAA that automatically means he needs to be playing up here everyday, or that we need to trade him for a bag of baseballs because we are doing him a disservice.

We don't have a power hitting lefty on the bench, Alonso fills that void. He is a huge upgrade over Gomes as a pinch hitter because in ONE at bat he has more hits than Gomes got all year as a PHer. He makes our bench better and as a result our team better.

I don't see how he fits into our long term plans unless Heisey or Stubbs are traded. That is definitely possible, but not nearly as likely as Alonso being the one who is dealt.

Stray
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Really, since being called up how many games has Frazier started over Cairo? Is there any question who is the future at 3rd base for this franchise between those two? Why is Cairo getting more starts......hmmm could it be that dreaded veteran creaminess again?

Because Cairo is a really good proven player and we're trying to win a division?

brm7675
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Because Cairo is a really good proven player and we're trying to win a division?

Really? Cairo is a nice fill in, but everyday player? If you think Cairo brings more to the table everyday over Frazier then wow....:confused:

Stray
07-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Really? Cairo is a nice fill in, but everyday player? If you think Cairo brings more to the table everyday over Frazier then wow....:confused:

Right now I have no idea what Frazier brings to the table as an everyday 3B in the big leagues. I do know what Cairo brings, and there's not much to dislike....well minus his game yesterday.

I'm not saying Frazier doesn't have a ton of potential, and I'm not saying Cairo is our future at 3B, I'm saying that we haven't been crappy enough yet to blow this whole thing up. We are still trying to win games.

BuckWild03
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Right now I have no idea what Frazier brings to the table as an everyday 3B in the big leagues. I do know what Cairo brings, and there's not much to dislike....well minus his game yesterday.

I'm not saying Frazier doesn't have a ton of potential, and I'm not saying Cairo is our future at 3B, I'm saying that we haven't been crappy enough yet to blow this whole thing up. We are still trying to win games.

This.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Who is saying he won't be dealt? I think it is a really good possibility.

You seem to operate under the assumption that if a guy plays well in AAA that automatically means he needs to be playing up here everyday, or that we need to trade him for a bag of baseballs because we are doing him a disservice.

We don't have a power hitting lefty on the bench, Alonso fills that void. He is a huge upgrade over Gomes as a pinch hitter because in ONE at bat he has more hits than Gomes got all year as a PHer. He makes our bench better and as a result our team better.

I don't see how he fits into our long term plans unless Heisey or Stubbs are traded. That is definitely possible, but not nearly as likely as Alonso being the one who is dealt.

The "bench" is not a trouble issue with this team. Young players need to play and play everday, if you look around baseball how many young prospects are used as "PH"?

goreds18
07-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought for sure Alonso would get the start against Pelfrey today considering Capuano (LHP) is starting tomorrow. So I'm guessing Yonder won't start tomorrow either.

I understand he's not going to play every game but come on let the kid show what he can do.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
07-27-2011, 06:17 PM

I third this. Cairo has been as good of a backup 3B as we could possibly ask. When the backup performs better than the starter, why complain? Sure, Frazier could add something, but go with the closest thing this team has to a sure thing behind Votto and maybe Phillips. .279, .347, .409 (OPS .756) is a damn good line to me. In fact, if Rolen was putting up those numbers, I'd be a very happy camper.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I third this. Cairo has been as good of a backup 3B as we could possibly ask. When the backup performs better than the starter, why complain? Sure, Frazier could add something, but go with the closest thing this team has to a sure thing behind Votto and maybe Phillips. .279, .347, .409 (OPS .756) is a damn good line to me. In fact, if Rolen was putting up those numbers, I'd be a very happy camper.

Why is it that Cairo has been a backup almost his entire career?:confused:

R_Webb18
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Why is it that Cairo has been a backup almost his entire career?:confused:

b/c hes decent just not great.

R_Webb18
07-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Frazier is hitting like what 260 in the minors this. idk the facts on the guy but does not seem that good. or not as good as ppl seem to make him seem.

markymark69
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Alonso is the new flavor of the month and Heisey now takes the place of Gomes as RedsZone whipping boy #3 behind Dusty and Renteria. :D

redssince75
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM

How does this help when the fly balls are flying over the fence? OTOH, I do remember Heisey stealing a HR recently, so maybe you got a point.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Alonso is the new flavor of the month and Heisey now takes the place of Gomes as RedsZone whipping boy #3 behind Dusty and Renteria. :D

No it's..

Hesiey better then Gomes
Yonder better then Heisey

You move Hesiey over to CF tonight, play Yonder in LF, Hesiey in CF and then with a lefty going tomorrow vs. the Reds you switch Hesiey back to LF, put Stubbs in CF. See how that works?

Stray
07-27-2011, 06:50 PM
How does this help when the fly balls are flying over the fence? OTOH, I do remember Heisey stealing a HR recently, so maybe you got a point.

Lol that is a good point. I'm hoping Arroyo can give up < 4 bombs tonight.

Roush's socks
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Nobody in the national media, or fans of baseball outside of Cincy fans on this board, is questioning the way the Reds are run. In fact, everyone else thinks of both Walt and Dusty as proven quantities who have both shown the ability to put together winning teams.
1. No one thinks Heisey is a top quality talent.
2. The decision to start Janish at SS was popular on this very board.
3. Volquez is a huge talent, and any team would have given him a chance this year coming back from Tommy John surgery.
4. It isn't Dusty's fault that Cordero blew 3 saves in a row, after having a great season.
5. Walt isn't a miracle worker who trade for top talent with mediocre prospects.
6. Alonso will play, just be patient.
7. The Reds aren't afraid to play young players, eg Bruce, Stubbs, Cozart, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Chapman all got chances.

It is the PLAYERS who win and lose games, not the management.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
From our "manager":

Heisey will get most of the time in LF for now, Dusty Baker said. (For those wondering about Alonso, Baker said his speed and range remain question marks in LF and that he is more a first baseman. Baker wants to observe him in practice while acknowledging that yes, he can hit, and he brings a strong lefty bat off the bench).

So our manager states he doesn't believe Yonder can play LF...SO WHY IS HE HERE? If the Reds wanted a LH outfield to ride the pine and PH why not bring up J. Hermidea from AAA who is a older player who doesn't need to play everyday, is left handed and I think Dusty may think of as an Outfielder. Again, this team just continues to look like a ship with no captain......:confused:

brm7675
07-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Nobody in the national media, or fans of baseball outside of Cincy fans on this board, is questioning the way the Reds are run. In fact, everyone else thinks of both Walt and Dusty as proven quantities who have both shown the ability to put together winning teams.

How many Reds fans know or pay attention to other teams? How many in the Cincy press could give you indept view on other MLB teams?

We don't know what he is, until he is given the chance

yes and unfortunetly he didn't pan out, it happens.

3. Volquez is a huge talent, and any team would have given him a chance this year coming back from Tommy John surgery.

But most would have seen much earlier he wasn't ready

4. It isn't Dusty's fault that Cordero blew 3 saves in a row, after having a great season.

No but it was Dusty's fault in using him in non save situations in consectvie games

5. Walt isn't a miracle worker who trade for top talent with mediocre prospects.

Walt has one of the deepest and riches farms systems in MLB today, either use it or trade if for players you will use. Allowing it to go to waste is a sign of a bad GM

Where/When? If your manager believes he can only play 1st and you have an MVP there right now, exactly when is he going to play? Why waste him sitting on the bench?

7. The Reds aren't afraid to play young players, eg Bruce, Stubbs, Cozart, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Chapman all got chances.

Bruce and Stubbs because they had no other choice, Cozart only after wasting half a season on an AARP player. Leake couldn't be kept down and Wood is where right now? Cueto again performed, Bailey was rushed and Chapman is being abused and misused...yep good use of your young talent

True, but it's management whom decides who those players are, where they play and when.

markymark69
07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Watch out now, Roush - you are letting facts get in the way of opinions. That is a no-no. ;)

BLark = HOF
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
brm7675, are you even a Reds fan? Or do you just feel the need to be negative Nancy about every move or decision that is made?

brm7675
07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
brm7675, are you even a Reds fan? Or do you just feel the need to be negative Nancy about every move or decision that is made?

Show me a positive this season?

brm7675
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
From our GM himself:

“We've got some quality young players at Triple-A who deserve the opportunity to be here,” Jocketty told the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We'll see if they do help us.”

Okay so they deserve to be here and ride the pine I guess....

BuckWild03
07-27-2011, 08:10 PM
brm, I'm confused by your response to this:

Yet you're upset that he's starting in place of Alonso tonight...Heisey is finally getting his chance. Why don't we see how it plays out before stating that Alonso is better than Heisey as a fact. Quite simply it's not. This thread is ridiculous.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
brm, I'm confused by your response to this:

Yet you're upset that he's starting in place of Alonso tonight...Heisey is finally getting his chance. Why don't we see how it plays out before stating that Alonso is better than Heisey as a fact. Quite simply it's not. This thread is ridiculous.

I didn't say I was upset he was starting over Yonder. I stated I was upset Yonder wasn't playing. I would have gone with Heisey in CF and Yonder in LF tonight with the RH pitcher on the mound.

FireDusty
07-27-2011, 08:28 PM
From Dusty:

I wasnt there to see him, Baker said. Ive heard hes OK. Hes got some work. Well see. Everybody cant play left field. There was a point where everyone was hollering for Heisey. Now, everyone wants Yonder to play. Yonder is more of first baseman than a left fielder. Speed and range are the question. Well how it works out. Were trying to win ball games with the best club we can put out there on a daily basis. We did need some left-handed help off the bench.

My Take: This is Dusty shutting down a guy before he even gets a chance. Suddenly, Gomes was Roberto Clemente in left.

If Dusty could put away his anger that this went down the way it went down, he would do "sorta" a platoon. He would give Heisey time in both Center & Left, give Stubbs more time to sit and watch better hitters, and essentially split at bats between Stubb, Heisey & Alonzo.

The fact that Dusty has Heisey, who can play both LF & CF (and RF), could allow Alonzo to get more than what Dusty will give him.

Sadly, this won't happen & it's why I want a different manager.

The good news is that Walt Jockerty will not be happy with Dusty if he relegates Alonzo to pinch hitting, increasing the chance that Walt will realize that Dusty is a bad fit here & shortening the time that it will take to get Dusty outta here.

Young players + Dusty Baker = Bad Fit.

FireDusty
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM

#4 & #5 are wrong. But other than that, pretty accurate.

#4: Dusty directly affected Cordero with how he used him.
#5: Everyone in the national media aggrees that the Reds are loaded in the minors.

Mutaman
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Chris Capuano is starting for the Mets tomorrow so Alonzo will start. And Baker will justify it by saying that Capauano once gave up a hit to a left handed batter.

brm7675
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
From Dusty:

I wasnt there to see him, Baker said. Ive heard hes OK. Hes got some work. Well see. Everybody cant play left field. There was a point where everyone was hollering for Heisey. Now, everyone wants Yonder to play. Yonder is more of first baseman than a left fielder. Speed and range are the question. Well how it works out. Were trying to win ball games with the best club we can put out there on a daily basis. We did need some left-handed help off the bench.

My Take: This is Dusty shutting down a guy before he even gets a chance. Suddenly, Gomes was Roberto Clemente in left.

If Dusty could put away his anger that this went down the way it went down, he would do "sorta" a platoon. He would give Heisey time in both Center & Left, give Stubbs more time to sit and watch better hitters, and essentially split at bats between Stubb, Heisey & Alonzo.

The fact that Dusty has Heisey, who can play both LF & CF (and RF), could allow Alonzo to get more than what Dusty will give him.

Sadly, this won't happen & it's why I want a different manager.

The good news is that Walt Jockerty will not be happy with Dusty if he relegates Alonzo to pinch hitting, increasing the chance that Walt will realize that Dusty is a bad fit here & shortening the time that it will take to get Dusty outta here.

Walt could solve this with one phone call....Hello Dusty, this is Walt, yea doing fine...look you are to play Yonder in LF...yea I know he is raw but we need him in there....no there is no option on this.....yes he is to play and that is it.....You disagree?...Well that is fine...you can disagree but you are to play him....and if you don't.......well then please feel free to pack up your stuff and not return.

But Walt doesn't have the balls to make that call...

wlf WV
07-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I think management believes Yonder has little benefit being in AAA.Most people realize he is too slow,although I have read that he has greatly improved his fundamentals,to be a legitimate outfielder.Why leave him in AAA when we can use his bat.

FireDusty
07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
I think management believes Yonder has little benefit being in AAA.Most people realize he is too slow,although I have read that he has greatly improved his fundamentals,to be a legitimate outfielder.Why leave him in AAA when we can use his bat.

The Reds have always put such a huge priority of defense in left field.

- George Foster
- Cal Daniels
- Kevin Mitchell
- Greg Vaughn
- Adam Dunn
- Johnny Gomes

With that kind of defensive lineage, I can understand why Dusty wouldn't want to put Reds fans through that.

Dusty is an idiot.

markymark69
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM

That's why half the starting line-up consists of young players -Votto, Janish/Cozart primarily, Stubbs, Bruce. Heisey plays more than people will admit and now will get his chance.

Young pitchers all throughout the staff

I understand you don't like Baker and some of the criticism that he gets is deserved - but your final point just doesn't jive.

brm7675
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
That's why half the starting line-up consists of young players -Votto, Janish/Cozart primarily, Stubbs, Bruce. Heisey plays more than people will admit and now will get his chance.

Young pitchers all throughout the staff

I understand you don't like Baker and some of the criticism that he gets is deserved - but your final point just doesn't jive.

The problem is I think Dusty is more comfortable working with adn handling vets over young players. I don't think he knows how to work or motivate them very well.

mivers176
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Alonso not in the lineup again - for the 3rd straight game. If it was only bringing someone up to be a bat off the bench, bring up Hermida or someone else but not Alonso - let him stay and actually get PT in AAA and continue to improve. I really cant find any reason that makes sense to me for this move.

brm7675
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Alonso not in the lineup again - for the 3rd straight game. If it was only bringing someone up to be a bat off the bench, bring up Hermida or someone else but not Alonso - let him stay and actually get PT in AAA and continue to improve. I really cant find any reason that makes sense to me for this move.

I would love to see someone in the Cincy press go to Walt and ask him directly "Why was Yonder promoted, what do you see as his role on this team for the rest of 2011? Then go to Dusty and ask him the same question....I bet you get two different answers and right there is your problem with this team.

mivers176
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I would love to see someone in the Cincy press go to Walt and ask him directly "Why was Yonder promoted, what do you see as his role on this team for the rest of 2011? Then go to Dusty and ask him the same question....I bet you get two different answers and right there is your problem with this team.

I wish the beat writers that get a chance to ask the questions in person would let us give them a few to ask and actually do it! Would love to hear management's responses ... they have to sound better than Mike Brown at least right ;)

smixsell
07-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Lets see you bench Heisey for most of the season and play the non hitting Gomes. You trade Gomes and bring up one of your most highly reguarded prospects to sit the bench? Really this makes no sense and goes back to the MAIN problem with this franchise, WHO IS RUNNING THIS TEAM?

The answer is Dusty is running this team, which translates into NOBODY is running this team. :(

PS New nickname for Dusty: "the man without a plan"