PDA

View Full Version : The End

wvreds
07-27-2011, 09:09 PM
This Mets series = the burial of the 2011 Cincinnati Reds....Agree??

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Thankfully, yes. It forces this team to start thinking about next year.

Winning the division should never be this team's top goal and it was sad to see so many on here and on the team just to be happy to go to the playoffs.

Starting thinking higher expectations.

BigJohn
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
‪Bugs Bunny - That's All Folks‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12ykihvCHk)

sammonator
07-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Agreed. We need to sell. Hernandez should be the first to go and then we can call up Mesoraco.

mroby85
07-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Agreed unfortunately, this has been the most frustrating disappointing season I think i've ever seen.

takealeake
07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Thankfully, yes. It forces this team to start thinking about next year.

Winning the division should never be this team's top goal and it was sad to see so many on here and on the team just to be happy to go to the playoffs.

Starting thinking higher expectations.

What's going to matter for next year when we're still on the hook for $24 million of a horrible starting pitcher's contract that was a big part of this seasons failure? Instead, he could have been off the books and we would have had a lot of salary to work with.

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
What's going to matter for next year when we're still on the hook for $24 million of a horrible starting pitcher's contract that was a big part of this seasons failure? Instead, he could have been off the books and we would have had a lot of salary to work with.

You forgot about Jay Bruce too.

LexRedsFan
07-27-2011, 09:21 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/444/261/105136902_display_image.jpg?1287070393

Not from this season, but a good picture to describe my feelings right now.

redram
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Yep no doubt, it has actually been over for quite some time. The only difference is now the other three teams ahead of us are starting to win more games. This is a SAD way to follow up a division championship year. These players started the year waaaayyyy to laid back and never got going. Poor performance by ALL the players (Votto and Cueto being the exception) and really poor managing by Dusty.

takealeake
07-27-2011, 09:25 PM
You forgot about Jay Bruce too.

Jay Bruce has a 5.5 ERA?

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Jay Bruce has a 5.5 ERA?

You think paying a guy 50 million for 1 month of baseball is wise?

takealeake
07-27-2011, 09:29 PM
You think paying a guy 50 million for 1 month of baseball is wise?

What are you even talking about?

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:30 PM
What are you even talking about?

I find it a bit odd you want to rail against Arroyo because he 'had one good year" and yet, we sign a guy like Jay Bruce for 50 million for one good year and you say nothing.

Jr's Boy
07-27-2011, 09:32 PM
''We just need to click'',''I dont believe we've played our best baseball yet'','Too much talent on this team''.''Still plenty of games left''.

Did I leave any more quotes out?

takealeake
07-27-2011, 09:32 PM
I find it a bit odd you want to rail against Arroyo because he 'had one good year" and yet, we sign a guy like Jay Bruce for 50 million for one good year and you say nothing.

Get back to me when you actually read what I say. Find any quote I've made that said "had one good year." And Bruce was on the All Star team, not one of the worst players in the league at his position, and he's 24 years old.

Todd Gack
07-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Get back to me when you actually read what I say. Find any quote I've made that said "had one good year." And Bruce was on the All Star team, not one of the worst players in the league at his position, and he's 24 years old.

Check the other thread you spammed, hot shot.

DocRed
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
It is close to over IMO....after 2night we will have THREE teams 5-6 games ahead of us. Overcoming a 6 game lead is possible against 1 team, unlikely against 2 teams, very very hard against 3 teams. Hard to imagine all 3 teams will collapse....

DocRed
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM

+1. There are alot more people responsible for the demise of this team. Bruce is not one of them IMO.

Roush's socks
07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Last time I checked there are nearly 60 games left and the Reds are 5 games back. The schedule gets way easier after Aug 1st. I still think there is hope. I've been a Reds fan since the early 70's, so I don't throw the towel in quite so quickly. This team has a lot of talent, and they also have a lot of games left against the teams that are in front of them. Why be a fan if you're going to give up 2/3 of the way into the season?

bigredmechanism
07-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Last time I checked there are nearly 60 games left and the Reds are 5 games back. The schedule gets way easier after Aug 1st. I still think there is hope. I've been a Reds fan since the early 70's, so I don't throw the towel in quite so quickly. This team has a lot of talent, and they also have a lot of games left against the teams that are in front of them. Why be a fan if you're going to give up 2/3 of the way into the season?

I'll still watch all the games, but it sure looks like we're toast.

Redinlexington
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
This team is finished, and it happened just at the right time. I remember when the White Sox a few years back were in this position and had a mini fire sale. They ended up making some great trades and were world series champs 2-3 years later. This Reds team is very young, all of their best players are young, excluding Phillips, we need to trade the deadweight on this team and build for next year. I would look at trading Coco, Hernandez, Willis, etc, and start with an eye on next year. This team with all the young talent won't be down for long. They probably have the fewest question marks looking forward compared to the Cards and Brewers.

takealeake
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Check the other thread you spammed, hot shot.

In the other thread I never said what you claimed I said, smart guy.

redssince75
07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Agree with OP. For me personally however, it was the Indians series at the 4th of July when I came over to see them personally -- I could tell this team was dead in the water and talked about the same to Indians fans staying in the same hotel. They said "welcome to the club, it's how we feel every year."

I agree next year or the year after could still work....we're not hopeless for years, but something has been missing all year long in 2011.

smoke6
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
I love our Reds and I usually try to stay positive and keep things in perspective, but...... I've had it this year. We aren't good. Play the young guys.....

Jr's Boy
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM
In the other thread I never said what you claimed I said, smart guy.

Ladies,Ladies,settle down.We're all sick,frustrated,angry with these players, team and season.

Krawhitham
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Cards & Brewers still play each other 12 times
Weeks looks like he will miss some time
Berkman is starting to fall apart

webbbj
07-27-2011, 10:38 PM
really 5.5GB and the 2nd best +/- in the division and an easy schedule the last 2 months = out of it?

OK.

Falcon7
07-27-2011, 10:40 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/444/261/105136902_display_image.jpg?1287070393

Not from this season, but a good picture to describe my feelings right now.

Yep, the old saying, "a picture says a thousand words." And most in this case have 4 letters.

partisan
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
I dont think this team is done, but it is certainly going to be an uphill battle to make the playoffs this year.

With that being said...I hope Walt still tries to make this team better in a way that will carry over into 2012-13. Going out and getting Shields/Ubaldo still makes a lot of sense as long as we are trading away redundant pieces of the farm. I'd love to see this team address its obvious pitching issues through trades and try to spark the offense by promoting from within.

Stray
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey at least we have the Bengals season to look forward to......right?

...right?

right?

Redsfansince72
07-27-2011, 11:26 PM
well watching this team since they started 5-0 and looked like a team on a mission, they have looked lost, non-focused, and also the many times we heard how "Its still early dont worry", well its not early any longer and to me this is the most frustrating season i have seen in many years.. I see a country club atmosphere, no focus on all aspects of a 9 inning game. the dang Mets look like they are a playoff team playing hard and they are what 13 games out??? you would think the Reds were worse than Houston the way they play. this team needs a bonifide leadoff hitter, a power RH 4th batter and a Ace.. what to me it needs is a total coaching change.. I would love to see what Lou could do with this team and I know he wouldnt stand for the lack of focus this team shows.. they couldnt beat last years team much less the Pirates. !!!! Heck JaCoby should have been fired along time ago. I get tired of hearing how many runs they have scored.. ok what position are they free falling too??? how many strike outs our supposed lead off hitter have?? Sucks as I really fell the Reds won last year because the players had leadership beyond dusty.. sounds like letting Cabrerra go was a huge mistake at the time.. it reflects now.. Because Rolen cant perform so he i guess cant lead.. AND the reds worry about attendance in August and September??? well they rfused to fix things that needed to be fixed in the off season and now the team is worse than last years team and not going forward but backwards.. Hard to sell walk up tickets when the team has zero energy and urgency.

Last year Edmonds to me helped Bruce way more than Jacoby.. he helped him make a short compact swing and it showed.. now Bruce is back to trying to pull everything like Adam Dunn and striking out instead of taking the outside pitch and stepping into it and driving it the other way (He did that when he first came up as a Red!!!)

Stubbs swing is to long and he needs to be more compact and do the same thing plus bunt more!!!.. goodness he lays down 50 bunts a year, thats prb 25 points on his average at least on the many he beats out!! sadly he doesnt want too..ANd his many taken called 3rd strikes on straight down the middle fastballs drives me crazy.. did the strike zone change after all the games he has played??? goodness..

i had to vent as it bothers me 2010 might have just been a fluke.. and the same garbage will happen next year with Baker!

Mutaman
07-27-2011, 11:26 PM
I love Bruce but of all this seasons many disappointments, he's probably been the biggest.

partisan
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I love Bruce but of all this seasons many disappointments, he's probably been the biggest.

I just don't get this. Bruce is having a solid year, certainly not an incredible one...but I've never looked at this time and thought "man, Jay isn't carrying his weight."

Bruce will get better, he's 24. The right side of the field can only carry the left side for so long.

Newman4
07-27-2011, 11:40 PM
To me, the StL and Mil seven game stretch was the beginning of the end.

redram
07-27-2011, 11:43 PM
I keep reading how easy the schedule gets in the second half, been reading this since before the all-star break. From what I am watching it is The Reds that make others schedule easy. This team is playing with no passion and really makes you wonder why. The only way the schedule gets easier no matter who we play is for The REDS to play like they give a crap. Anything else with just be the same ole same ole. What we have been watching minus last year, for the past 10 plus years.

redram
07-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I just don't get this. Bruce is having a solid year, certainly not an incredible one...but I've never looked at this time and thought "man, Jay isn't carrying his weight."

Bruce will get better, he's 24. The right side of the field can only carry the left side for so long.

Solid Year??? He has had one month that was GREAT, The rest has been Horrible. He strikes out way to much, as do many of these guys. Take away May and what have you got with Bruce. That being said, it is months like he had in May that frustrate all of the fans. We see his potential and keep wondering if he will ever just start playing consistent.

partisan
07-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Solid Year??? He has had one month that was GREAT, The rest has been Horrible. He strikes out way to much, as do many of these guys. Take away May and what have you got with Bruce. That being said, it is months like he had in May that frustrate all of the fans. We see his potential and keep wondering if he will ever just start playing consistent.

Yes, he's streaky. He's also OPSing .833 on the season which is third on the team (granted it is inflated by his ridiculous May). My point is that Bruce is not the problem, he has room to improve and nobody will argue that, but our crosshairs are better placed elsewhere.

My bigger concern is the the other #1 draft pick we have playing in the outfield.

redssince75
07-28-2011, 12:06 AM
the 2nd best +/- in the division

lol I love how people keep trotting this stat out. It'll even out someday...I swear it will....someday.....someday.....someday.......

Redsfansince72
07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
This just posted:

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch hears that the Reds have serious misgivings about making an all-in move to save their season (Twitter link). After tonight's loss, Cincinnati is 50-54.

even if they tried, Baker would screw it up

Vottomatic
07-28-2011, 07:52 AM
It's time to put the blame on the coaching staff and fire most of them (except Billy Hatcher).

Time to quit babying these players and turn them into competitors, and make them play fundemental baseball.

Castellini fires Krivsky saying "we're just not gonna lose anymore". Where's that attitude now Bob????

What a poorly constructed roster. They didn't address the obvious need for 4-hole hitter in the offseason, and now the 4-hole sucks as well as Votto having no protection, so his production is down too. Brilliant!!!! (sarcasm)

The blame starts at the top and everyone at every level of the organization has failed the fans this year.

SidneySlicker
07-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm getting to this point as well. I think there is plenty of blame to go around with the players though not to mention Dusty.
Stubbs is on pace to strike out 212 times this year. I don't care if he hits 30 homeruns this year with his defense, you can't cover that up.
Bruce is on pace to strike out 155 times. The bottom line is the Reds are all or nothing with thier outfield and more times than not they are nothing.
Arroyo needs dl'd as far has I'm concerned. I haven't seen him hit 90 with his fastball this year that I can remember right off the top of my head.

mivers176
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM

Really? He had an awesome May - outside of that his numbers arent even close to being what your average starting outfielders should be. His recent 9 k's in last 16 ab's? I think its probably a mental thing with him - he keeps coming up and failing when he has an opportunity to drive in tying / winning runs and I feel like you can see on his face walking up to the plate he doesnt want to be in that situation right now ...

Kevin1476
07-28-2011, 10:37 AM
It's time to put the blame on the coaching staff and fire most of them (except Billy Hatcher).

Time to quit babying these players and turn them into competitors, and make them play fundemental baseball.

Castellini fires Krivsky saying "we're just not gonna lose anymore". Where's that attitude now Bob????

What a poorly constructed roster. They didn't address the obvious need for 4-hole hitter in the offseason, and now the 4-hole sucks as well as Votto having no protection, so his production is down too. Brilliant!!!! (sarcasm)

The blame starts at the top and everyone at every level of the organization has failed the fans this year.

Great Post and its time to hold people accountable!

bounty37h
07-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Holy shnikies, Bruce is making 50 million dollars this year?????

CrosleyField
07-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Unless we win 12 in a row we are probably finished. We can hope, but it probably won't happen. I just hope we don't have a fire sale. We are not that far away from being a good team.