PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 7/28

chicoruiz
07-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Another slim pickings day. Let's put it this way: Carmelo Martinez is by far the best hitter born on July 28.

Reds:

Dick Simpson (68)- Supposedly the key to the Frank Robinson trade. Very young and very toolsy, but it just never happened for him. Having to bear the burden of that trade probably didn't help.

Others:

Carmelo Martinez (51)- One of the few Cubs I didn't hate, probably because I didn't percieve him as a threat. I always assumed we could get him out if we needed to, and usually I was right.

Vida Blue (62)- If Bowie Kuhn wasn't such a buzzkill, he'd be appearing in the "Reds" section of this post.

07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I believe that Carmelo was a Red near the end of his career. I always liked him, and was excited to see him in a Reds uniform, even if it was after his prime, if he actually had a prime. lol

RichRed
07-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I believe that Carmelo was a Red near the end of his career.

156 glorious PAs in 1991. I don't have the slightest recollection of him as a Red but then again, anything that happened during my college days is kind of fuzzy.

Bob Borkowski
07-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Vida Blue (62)- If Bowie Kuhn wasn't such a buzzkill, he'd be appearing in the "Reds" section of this post.

An 'Oh, yeah, I remember that' moment:

He, along with Chili Davis, were the last players before Ichiro Suzuki to wear their given name on the back of their uniforms instead of their surname, both having done so with the Giants.

(from Wikipedia)

Chip R
07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I know he isn't a player but Marty Brennaman is 70 today.