PDA

View Full Version : Not as easy as they thought...

brm7675
07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I think we are seeing a team that is coming to grips with a few things and are not sure how to deal with them and or trying to hard to correct things. I really believe that this team felt from ST they were the team to beat and that they wouldn't have to much problem repeating last years performances and such. Then when hiccups came along like injuries, age, under performances they thought to themselves, okay we can still over come these and just turn it on when everyone gets healthy and going. Well then people got healthy and well things didn't get a whole lot better and now we are less then 60 games to go in the season and we are now "worried" and not sure how to handle it. I think we are seeing a team in a mini crisis of maturity. I think both Walt and Dusty felt that the players could just "turn it on" and are now seeing it's not going to happen. In the long run over the coming seasons I think we will be okay, but with any young team that had success kinda before they were expected to, are experiencing the difficulties that come with that presure to repeat and seeing that growth of young players sometimes comes with hills and bumps in the road.

I think this team will be okay...but for the rest of the season it is key for management to do the right thing to allow this team to continue to grow and learn because the future is bright if this team is handled right. :thumbup:

LexRedsFan
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
5-0 start may have been the worst thing that could happen to them.

will5979
07-28-2011, 11:45 AM
5-0 start may have been the worst thing that could happen to them.

I sure as hell enjoyed that great week though! Remember duh, winning!

Boy those we're the days (The first week of April and the 3rd week of May) when we thought for sure we had seen the re-emergence of the new Big Red Machine...

markymark69
07-28-2011, 11:45 AM
But it's all Dusty's fault, right?

brm7675
07-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Fault %:

Players: 50%
Dusty: 30%
Walt: 20%

mroby85
07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Fault %:

Players: 50%
Dusty: 30%
Walt: 20%

what is it with you and your made up percentages? LOL
60-70% chance Votto leaves
50% team
30% Dusty
20% Jocketty
And I saw another made up % you posted last night, but I forget what it was, lol.

will5979
07-28-2011, 11:57 AM

I blame the following in this order...

Castenelli for not ponying up some cash for better players
Jocketty for not acquiring better players
Baker for his idiotic decisions
Rolen for not repeating what he did in 2010
Gomes for the exact same reason
Arroyo for the same reason
Stubbs for striking out too damn much
Phillips for getting picked off against Philly
Cordero for blowing saves against the Brewers
Votto for not showing enough enthusiasm and not being humble in Cincinnati
Janish, Lewis, and Volquez for just plain sucking
Mike Leake for giving up 2-3 runs instead of pitching a shutout when his offense can only get him 1 run
Marty Brennamen for running off Adam Dunn
Pete Rose for betting on baseball and ruining another Reds dynasty by not being able to manage
Baseball gods because they somehow have some warped sense of humor of watching Reds fans suffer
And Sean Casey for grounding into double plays

Oh yeah I left one out, George W. Bush and Barrack Obama because nearly all of Americans blame the 2 of them for everything else so we may as well go ahead and throw those 2 in the mix!

brm7675
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
I blame the following in this order...

Castenelli for not ponying up some cash for better players

Exaclty WHOM didn't Bob pony up for?

Jocketty for not acquiring better players
Baker for his idiotic decisions
Rolen for not repeating what he did in 2010

No way anyone with a basic understanding of how players decline with age would think he would even come close to his 2010 numbers

Gomes for the exact same reason
Arroyo for the same reason

Given Arroyo health issues it is not fair to blame him when in fact management should have DL'ed him in ST

Stubbs for striking out too damn much

Again who places him where in the BO and who isn't working with him on adding the bunt to his game and such should take more of the blame

Phillips for getting picked off against Philly
Cordero for blowing saves against the Brewers
Votto for not showing enough enthusiasm and not being humble in Cincinnati

Votto is who he is, some players are not "team leader" types in the clubhouse, they speak via their play

BuckeyeRed27
07-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I think winning the Central last year has some impact on this season. They aren't going to sneak up on anybody like they may have been able to last year (or the Pirates may have done this year).

I think the major problems are:
1. Not having a true lead off hitter to set the table for Votto
2. Rolen getting old and staying old and offering no protection for Votto
3. Volquez Arroyo and Wood not being good and a general drop off in starting pitching from last year (minus Cueto)

A side effect of this has been pretty poor hitting with RISP and overall the team is just pressing. They are just trying to do to much and not letting the game come to them like they did for much of last year. There is still time, but it is going to require a serious hot streak.

markymark69
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I find the 30 percent for Dusty interesting. Did I go to the wrong board or something? Every night it's Dusty did this that cost them, Dusty did that that cost them. Make up your mind guys.

brm7675
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I find the 30 percent for Dusty interesting. Did I go to the wrong board or something? Every night it's Dusty did this that cost them, Dusty did that that cost them. Make up your mind guys.

Yes Dusty has shown an inability to ingame manage, that doesn't mean he get's 100% of the blame.

markymark69
07-28-2011, 04:09 PM
brm,

Not according to your posts. Dusty is responsible. I'm the one that has said - it's about the players. Gee, it's nice to be able to play both ends against the middle.