PDA

View Full Version : lets find a new home for these current Reds

Will M
07-28-2011, 03:26 PM
As I type this the Reds are 5.5 games out of 1rst & losing 9-8 today. They are behind 3 clubs & have played poorly for several weeks. 2011 we hardly knew ya. i'll always have fond memories of opening day. and, um, well, oh yea. opening day as well.

IMO its time to be attempt to move anyone who won't be here in 2012. I'll leave Phillips off the list because I suspect his option will be picked up. While I thing Volquez has pitched his last game for the Reds I suspect he will be part of a bigger deal. For this discussion I'll focus on the guys who could go in a small deal for a prospect or two.
1. Ramon
2. Cordero
3. Renteria
4. Cairo
5. Lewis

Ramon has an obvious home by the bay. This is kinda a 'no brainer' for both teams. Its been a no brainer for the Giants since Posey went down. Now with the Reds crashing & burning its a no brainer for them as well. Plus it helps my fantasy team (I picked Mes off waivers 2 days ago).

Cordero to me has some value to a team needing bullpen help. Probably as a setup man & not as a closer. The Reds will have to eat some salary. Who could use him? Off the top of my head: Cardinals, Rangers, Braves.

The other 3 are bench guys or in the case of Renteria more of a 'we reaaaaally need a backup SS' scenario.

what do folks think? can Walt move 2-3 of these guys & pick up a prospect or two? since i'd like Walt to deal some prospects for say an ace or a MOR slugger (for 2012) it can't hurt to try and restock the cupboard.

REDblooded
07-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Cairo and Hernandez should both bring a decent return...

This team isn't heading to the playoffs...

MrCinatit
07-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I honestly do not see Cairo, Renteria, nor Lewis bringing in a whole lot...if garnering any interest at all.

Then again, I DID just see the Brewers traded for Felipe Lopez.

camisadelgolf
07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Cairo and Lewis are under team control for next year. It wouldn't bother me to see either of them traded, but I don't think the Reds would get anything worthwhile in return. I would put more focus on trading Carlos Fisher, Matt Maloney, and Daryl Thompson since they won't have options next year. I'd also say Juan Francisco, but he's going to be on the disabled list for a while. Should the Reds explore trading Dontrelle Willis, too?

Will M
07-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Cairo and Lewis are under team control for next year. It wouldn't bother me to see either of them traded, but I don't think the Reds would get anything worthwhile in return. I would put more focus on trading Carlos Fisher, Matt Maloney, and Daryl Thompson since they won't have options next year. I'd also say Juan Francisco, but he's going to be on the disabled list for a while. Should the Reds explore trading Dontrelle Willis, too?

I forgot Lewis was under control for next year. No problem keeping him as a 4th/5th outfielder.

Cairo is a nice bench player. I just look at Frazier and see a guy who I'd like to see get some ABs. NOW is a great time with Rolen out. Lets see what Frazier can do as we plan for 2012.

Captain Hook
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Ramon has an obvious home by the bay. This is kinda a 'no brainer' for both teams. Its been a no brainer for the Giants since Posey went down. Now with the Reds crashing & burning its a no brainer for them as well. Plus it helps my fantasy team (I picked Mes off waivers 2 days ago).

That alone is reason enough for me.I have Mes in two keeper leagues.:laugh: