PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Bengals Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

wolfboy
09-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I think he was every bit equivalent to Bruce Gradkowski the last few years, but that's not really a complement.

Are you speaking generally, or just in the sense of come from behind wins?

Last year, arguably Palmer's worst, he still threw for more yards and touchdowns than Gradkowski has had in his career. Even at Palmer's worst, there's just no comparison between the two.

bucksfan2
09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Sorry, but that is just not true. Palmer had some darned good comebacks himself. People need to turn the page on him. He's certainly not the reason this team was losing the past few years.

Not necessarily talking about that. I am talking about getting a team to the line quick, quick snapping the ball, and then converting on it. There were a lot of things that Carson was good at, controlling the huddle wasn't one of them. IMO he wasn't someone who was going to out smart the defense.

As for Carson the page is definitely turned. I am glad he is no longer a part of the organization. As as for last season, I think Carson was reason #1 why the team was so miserable. He wasn't the only reason, but he wasn't a very good QB.

CTA513
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Not necessarily talking about that. I am talking about getting a team to the line quick, quick snapping the ball, and then converting on it. There were a lot of things that Carson was good at, controlling the huddle wasn't one of them. IMO he wasn't someone who was going to out smart the defense.

As for Carson the page is definitely turned. I am glad he is no longer a part of the organization. As as for last season, I think Carson was reason #1 why the team was so miserable. He wasn't the only reason, but he wasn't a very good QB.

like this?
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81d3960c/Simpson-59-yard-touchdown

izzy's dad
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I hate Carson with the fire of 1,000 suns. I am so glad that a$$ is gone. That said, I almost threw up when Gradkowski took the field.

GAC
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry, but that is just not true. Palmer had some darned good comebacks himself. People need to turn the page on him. He's certainly not the reason this team was losing the past few years.

I agree. While Palmer has to accept some of it, there was a HUGE communication problem with some of his "selfish" receivers running bad or wrong routes. I kinda liked it whenever Carson would confront/call them out on it too.

I was very impressed with Dalton, and think he and AJ have a very bright future in Cincy.

PickOff
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree. While Palmer has to accept some of it, there was a HUGE communication problem with some of his "selfish" receivers running bad or wrong routes. I kinda liked it whenever Carson would confront/call them out on it too.

I was very impressed with Dalton, and think he and AJ have a very bright future in Cincy.

I was impressed with Dalton too. I am also happy that he can and does utilize the pump fake. That is one thing about Palmer that drove me crazy. A shoulder shrug just isn't the same thing.

The most encouraging thing about the game was the lack of delay of game and false start penalties. I don't know who to credit with that.

CTA513
09-12-2011, 11:30 PM
I was impressed with Dalton too. I am also happy that he can and does utilize the pump fake. That is one thing about Palmer that drove me crazy. A shoulder shrug just isn't the same thing.

The most encouraging thing about the game was the lack of delay of game and false start penalties. I don't know who to credit with that.

Getting rid of Brat should help reduce the delay of game penalties.

GAC
09-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Getting rid of Brat should help reduce the delay of game penalties.

There certainly wasn't no delay of game on that TD pass to Green! :mooner:

I've come to the realization that if the Browns could find a way to eliminate the last 5 minutes of each game they'd probably make the play-offs! I've lost count, these past few years, on how many games they have choked away towards the end of the 4th quarter. LOL

wolfboy
09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
While Palmer has to accept some of it, there was a HUGE communication problem with some of his "selfish" receivers running bad or wrong routes.

As an aside, "selfish" receiver #1 had one catch for all of 14 yards in his debut with New England. His one catch was reviewed upstairs. Maybe it's just bitterness on my part, but it seemed iffy because Mr. eight five was hot dogging it again.

Stray
09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Denver looked pretty bad. Oakland has a good dline, but I think our guys can get a lot of pressure on them. Kinda weird to think we could start 2-0.

Hoosier Red
09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Are you speaking generally, or just in the sense of come from behind wins?

Last year, arguably Palmer's worst, he still threw for more yards and touchdowns than Gradkowski has had in his career. Even at Palmer's worst, there's just no comparison between the two.

I was speaking more of the general feeling of confidence each inspired going into a game. Or into a specific situation.

Obviously statistically speaking it's not close. However, yards and touchdowns aren't really an accurate measure since Carson was a starting quarterback and Gradkowski was not.

Two years ago the Bengals won a lot of games the way they did on Sunday, didn't play well offensively, looked to be in a funk for about 2 1/2 quarters, but the defense kept them alive long enough for one big play to make the difference.

Carson had a lot of terrible statistical games that year, but he was in command of the offense enough to lead a late game/overtime charge.

The problem is that when you leave it to "one big play" the one big play goes against you as often as it goes with you which is the difference between 10-6 and 5-11.

wolfboy
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I was speaking more of the general feeling of confidence each inspired going into a game. Or into a specific situation.

Obviously statistically speaking it's not close. However, yards and touchdowns aren't really an accurate measure since Carson was a starting quarterback and Gradkowski was not.

Two years ago the Bengals won a lot of games the way they did on Sunday, didn't play well offensively, looked to be in a funk for about 2 1/2 quarters, but the defense kept them alive long enough for one big play to make the difference.

Carson had a lot of terrible statistical games that year, but he was in command of the offense enough to lead a late game/overtime charge.

The problem is that when you leave it to "one big play" the one big play goes against you as often as it goes with you which is the difference between 10-6 and 5-11.

I think Palmer has physical skills that a guy like Gradkowski can only dream of. For that reason, if both started an equal amount of games, there's no way Gradkowski could match Palmer's numbers. I agree with you though that there's more to the story than yards and touchdowns.

I never felt like Palmer had the ability to embrace the leadership role the Bengals so desperately needed. I think Gradkowski has that quality. Unfortunately, without the physical skills he'll never be able to translate the leadership component into wins. Hopefully, he can impart some of the leadership component on Dalton, who appears to have the physical skills needed for the position.

bucksfan2
09-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Re Carson:

There was a lot to like about Carson as a QB. He was big, strong, had a cannon for an arm. He put up several legit all pro seasons and was probably on his way to a borderline HOF career had Kimo not wrecked his knee and then subsequent elbow problems a few years later. Carson gave people hope of playoff runs, especially when you face a schedule like the Bengals do this season.

All that said he has some serious issues. As a leader I think Carson was lacking. He failed to control the huddle, both with getting to the line on time and also with controlling his WR's. He let the outspoken Chad and TJ dictate the huddle instead of taking full control of the huddle. Then when the organization went out and gave his brother a backup gig, drafted a slot WR, TE, and best overall WR in the draft Carson bailed on the team.

Gradkowski kind of reminds me of Kitna light. He isn't going to overwhelm you with talent. He isn't going to make throws that Carson was able to make. But what he is going to do is control the huddle. He is going to stick his nose in places that Carson wouldn't. He is the type of QB who if you let hang around long enough will make a play or two to beat you. He isn't the QB Carson is/was, but I hope the good that Gradkowski has rubs off on Dalton. I would gladly trade some rocket laser for some leadership and huddle control.

UKFlounder
09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
In 2005, Carson was one of the best Bengals ever, perhaps one of the best players in the league, but after the knee injury he never was at that level again. I don't know if that season was a pure fluke (career year) of if he may have been able to repeat improve on it in the future, but he never was quite that good afterwards. He seemed to t throw a lot of interceptions too in the last few years (I was always surprised when he finised a game without one.)

HotCorner
09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Denver looked pretty bad. Oakland has a good dline, but I think our guys can get a lot of pressure on them. Kinda weird to think we could start 2-0.

I don't want to get too far ahead or overly excited but looking at their schedule they could get off to a huge start should the offense and defense continue to improve. I was not excited for this season to begin considering how the offseason transpired. The first two preseason games worried me as well. However I saw a lot of good things in the last two preseason games from the starters on both sides of the ball that gave me hope.

After game one, the hope is a bit stronger especially when I consider all of the young, unproven talent this team possess.

Here's the first eight games ...

W1 @ Cleveland (Won 27-17)
W2 @ Denver
W3 vs SF
W4 vs Buffalo
W5 @ Jacksonville
W6 vs Indy
W7 BYE
W8 @ Seattle
W9 @ Tennessee

As of today, Buffalo would appear to be their toughest opponent. However with a rookie QB you never know what you will get from game to game but my fingers are crossed. :D

cincrazy
09-13-2011, 01:47 PM
In 2005, Carson was one of the best Bengals ever, perhaps one of the best players in the league, but after the knee injury he never was at that level again. I don't know if that season was a pure fluke (career year) of if he may have been able to repeat improve on it in the future, but he never was quite that good afterwards. He seemed to t throw a lot of interceptions too in the last few years (I was always surprised when he finised a game without one.)

Carson was pretty darn good in 2006. I think the cutoff point was the elbow problems. He was never the same QB after that. It's really sad that it ended this way. When he was at his best, he was one of the best in the game.

wolfboy
09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Gradkowski kind of reminds me of Kitna light.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Oxilon
09-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Carson was pretty darn good in 2006. I think the cutoff point was the elbow problems. He was never the same QB after that. It's really sad that it ended this way. When he was at his best, he was one of the best in the game.

Yep, he was lights out in 2006. It just isn't remembered that way because the overall team wasn't that good and they Bungled' their way out of a gimme playoff spot against Denver.

But it should also be noted how talented the 2005 team was. The O-Line was probably the best in the league with Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Eric Steinbach, and Rich Braham. Had a solid running game with Rudi Johnson and a 3 headed monster at WR with CJ, TJ, and Chris Henry. Add to that an opportunistic defense, that was the year, if ever, they would have advanced far in the playoffs (Still think they would have lost to the Colts though).

Amazing how much can change in 5 years in the NFL though.

Stray
09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't want to get too far ahead or overly excited but looking at their schedule they could get off to a huge start should the offense and defense continue to improve. I was not excited for this season to begin considering how the offseason transpired. The first two preseason games worried me as well. However I saw a lot of good things in the last two preseason games from the starters on both sides of the ball that gave me hope.

After game one, the hope is a bit stronger especially when I consider all of the young, unproven talent this team possess.

Here's the first eight games ...

W1 @ Cleveland (Won 27-17)
W2 @ Denver
W3 vs SF
W4 vs Buffalo
W5 @ Jacksonville
W6 vs Indy
W7 BYE
W8 @ Seattle
W9 @ Tennessee

As of today, Buffalo would appear to be their toughest opponent. However with a rookie QB you never know what you will get from game to game but my fingers are crossed. :D

Wow I knew we had an easy schedule but I hadn't looked at it yet.

Hoosier Red
09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow I knew we had an easy schedule but I hadn't looked at it yet.

I think it was Doc who wrote that the only teams on the schedule who had a winning record last year are Pitt, Bal, and Indy.

bucksfan2
09-14-2011, 08:31 AM
I think it was Doc who wrote that the only teams on the schedule who had a winning record last year are Pitt, Bal, and Indy.

By my count before the season started they had 6 tough games. They had Pit and Bal twice, Houston and Indy. Now they have 5 tough games. I am not a Carson fan but had he been the starting QB they would be playoff bound.

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I am not a Carson fan but had he been the starting QB they would be playoff bound.

I think that's a stretch. You gotta figure Balt and Pitt have awfully easy schedules too, especially because they get the Bengals twice. So unless you envision the Bengals finishing above those two teams, there's only one WC spot left. I'd venture a guess that that spot would go to NE or the Jets.

bucksfan2
09-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I think that's a stretch. You gotta figure Balt and Pitt have awfully easy schedules too, especially because they get the Bengals twice. So unless you envision the Bengals finishing above those two teams, there's only one WC spot left. I'd venture a guess that that spot would go to NE or the Jets.

There is a difference of two games. While the Bengals get the Bills the Steelers get the Pats and the Ravens get the Jets. While the Bengals get the Bronco's the Steelers get the Chiefs and the Ravens get the Chargers. Now it appears as of the Steelers got a nice break by getting the Chiefs they still play a tougher schedule.

With Carson I think the team looks a lot like the 09 team. They may not win the division or the wild card but so much of a season is dictated by scheduling. FWIW I am glad the Bengals have moved on from Carson, it just may have been the wrong season to do so.

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
All good points, Buck. If you're Carson, don't you have to be kicking yourself for giving up on the team this year? Think what a playoff run would do for his career. Arguably, this team's got the most talent (besides QB) since 2005-6 and they're hungry. No more Chad shenanigans.

I grew disappointed in Carson in recent years in ways that go beyond his injuries. His INTs are well documented but also he no longer looked over the whole field. He'd developed a habit of staring down receivers. He also rarely did anything to try to fool the defense like a genuine fake handoff, otherwise called play action, or a pump fake. When did you ever see him quick snap like Gradowski did vs Cleveland? My guess is Carson would have snapped that ball, taken a knee and then patted himself on the back for catching the Browns with 12 men on the field.

Maybe they'd be favorites to win a playoff spot, maybe not but wouldn't it be great to compete for one without him?

bucksfan2
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
All good points, Buck. If you're Carson, don't you have to be kicking yourself for giving up on the team this year? Think what a playoff run would do for his career. Arguably, this team's got the most talent (besides QB) since 2005-6 and they're hungry. No more Chad shenanigans.

I grew disappointed in Carson in recent years in ways that go beyond his injuries. His INTs are well documented but also he no longer looked over the whole field. He'd developed a habit of staring down receivers. He also rarely did anything to try to fool the defense like a genuine fake handoff, otherwise called play action, or a pump fake. When did you ever see him quick snap like Gradowski did vs Cleveland? My guess is Carson would have snapped that ball, taken a knee and then patted himself on the back for catching the Browns with 12 men on the field.

Maybe they'd be favorites to win a playoff spot, maybe not but wouldn't it be great to compete for one without him?

I pretty much agree with all of this. And I really don't think I could have said it much better.

To me Carson was a shell of his former self once he hurt his elbow. Even in the playoff run he wasn't the QB he had been in years past. They made some great comebacks that season but he wasn't the dynamic passer he once had been. Even that year I thought he was a guy who locked on to Chad early and didn't deviate much. I was somewhat upset last draft when they didn't attempt to draft a backup QB and groom him. I wanted Colt McCoy especially when it became evident that he was there in late 2 and early 3.

I think as time passes it will be a good thing Carson forced the Bengals hand. He no longer was a top tier QB, moreso the next tier down. He reminded me a lot of Eli Manning in that they weren't going to kill you but weren't going to put games on their shoulders anymore. He wasn't the type of QB you were comfortable with airing it out each game. He had become a very good game manager. Not a bad thing, but not a player you play top 10-15 NFL dollars for.

CTA513
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM

on the TD pass to Simpson against the Chargers

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 05:29 PM
on the TD pass to Simpson against the Chargers

I don't know. That was a blown coverage but it wasn't really the same thing. At least the CB was lined up properly. I don't know what exactly happened there. In the SD game there is a CB on Simpson but Jerome runs by him.

Chargers vs Bengals 12.26.2010 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekEJGZ2BtIs&feature=related)

Last Sunday there was no DB in the picture near Green when the ball was snapped.

CTA513
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't know. That was a blown coverage but it wasn't really the same thing. At least the CB was lined up properly. I don't know what exactly happened there. In the SD game there is a CB on Simpson but Jerome runs by him.

Chargers vs Bengals 12.26.2010 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekEJGZ2BtIs&feature=related)

Last Sunday there was no DB in the picture near Green when the ball was snapped.

From Bengals.com:

Gruden says the Bengals did it four or five times last year and that wide receiver Terrell Owens scored on a quick snap.

texasdave
09-14-2011, 09:16 PM
The Denver Broncos are practicing without a half dozen of their key players.

Pro Bowlers Champ Bailey (hamstring) and Brandon Lloyd (groin) missed Wednesday's workout along with fellow starters Knowshon Moreno (hamstring) and Elvis Dumervil (shoulder). All of them were hurt Monday night against Oakland.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/09/14/broncos.injuries.ap/index.html#ixzz1XynEuXyZ

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
From Bengals.com:

I'm guessing he's referring to the typical Carson Palmer kneel down quick snap. In addition, Gruden wasn't even here last year. I don't remember any play last year like what happened to the Browns on Sunday

CTA513
09-15-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm guessing he's referring to the typical Carson Palmer kneel down quick snap. In addition, Gruden wasn't even here last year. I don't remember any play last year like what happened to the Browns on Sunday

they would probably have more, but like Benson said:

When asked about the differences between last year’s offense and this one, especially when it comes to getting out of the huddle earlier, Cedric Benson pointed out one reason.

“Because you had some challenges out on the edges you had to deal with,” Benson said. “You don’t have those anymore. Guys line up and generally know what they need to do and what the task is on each play.”

Benson did add one other note on why there is more of a crispness out of the huddle, saying: “I just think they’re just getting it in faster. I’m sure Jay knows what he wants to call before the whistle is blown on the (previous) play.”

Redhook
09-15-2011, 06:30 AM
they would probably have more, but like Benson said:

Nice little shot on Brat in there. I'm sure the current offensive players are loving Gruden compared to Bratkowski. Playing for such an idiot for so long seemed to push a few guys over the edge, like Benson. He could only keep his mouth shut for so long.

Sea Ray
09-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Say what you want about Ced but he's more of a leader than Carson ever was

Oxilon
09-15-2011, 11:05 AM

I gave up on the Carson Palmer bandwagon long before he decided to quit, but this idea that he wasn't a leader is kind of ridiculous. There are quotes from players throughout the years that said he was a good team leader. After the game winning TD against the Ravens two years ago in Baltimore, Caldwell specifically mentioned how Palmer was poised and confident in the huddle during the last drive. Willie Anderson would gush over his ability to lead.

Carson Palmer may not have a Philip Rivers complex where he shows emotion on every play, but just because he didn't, doesn't mean he was incapable of being a team leader.

Sea Ray
09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I gave up on the Carson Palmer bandwagon long before he decided to quit, but this idea that he wasn't a leader is kind of ridiculous. There are quotes from players throughout the years that said he was a good team leader. After the game winning TD against the Ravens two years ago in Baltimore, Caldwell specifically mentioned how Palmer was poised and confident in the huddle during the last drive. Willie Anderson would gush over his ability to lead.

Carson Palmer may not have a Philip Rivers complex where he shows emotion on every play, but just because he didn't, doesn't mean he was incapable of being a team leader.

I disagree. I'll give you two examples

Carson never addressed the Chad/TO fiasco last year. He let those guys take the team down whereas he should have called them out in person.

Carson never addressed the coaching issues. Ced clearly stated that Bratkowski was a problem and that he'd not return if Brat came back. Carson said nothing. He just pouted and quit.

Sea Ray
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Benson said the following about Chad/TO last year:

"Chad and T.O. weren't in today, so we were able to just play football," he said. "There was no 'gotta get him the ball.'"

And by "him," Benson was not referring to himself.

"I'm too real to be on a reality show," he said.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2010/12/20/bengals-win-features-more-substance-than-drama.html

It sure would have been nice to hear such leadership from our QB

CTA513
09-15-2011, 02:13 PM

:laugh:

CTA513
09-15-2011, 02:23 PM
I disagree. I'll give you two examples

Carson never addressed the Chad/TO fiasco last year. He let those guys take the team down whereas he should have called them out in person.

Carson never addressed the coaching issues. Ced clearly stated that Bratkowski was a problem and that he'd not return if Brat came back. Carson said nothing. He just pouted and quit.

In the end its the coaches and organization that let those guys act how they act.
They draft and sign those guys and let them do what they want to do with every little consequences.

bucksfan2
09-15-2011, 02:28 PM
In the end its the coaches and organization that let those guys act how they act.
They draft and sign those guys and let them do what they want to do with every little consequences.

A lot of it falls on leadership. Both in the front office as well as on the field. If Carson would have handled Chad/TO/TJ better I don't think there ever would have been the circus that evolved. I would loved to see how a guy like Boomer would have handled those characters.

CTA513
09-15-2011, 03:22 PM
A lot of it falls on leadership. Both in the front office as well as on the field. If Carson would have handled Chad/TO/TJ better I don't think there ever would have been the circus that evolved. I would loved to see how a guy like Boomer would have handled those characters.

If the coaches and organization can't/won't control these guys then how can you expect 1 player to?
How many off the field problems and arrests do we need before the organization starts taking more blame?
How many organizations would let a player get away with attacking a coach during the halftime of a playoff game?

Game #1 of the 2011 season and the new leader gets up and starts yelling at Dalton after a bad running play.

Hoosier Red
09-15-2011, 03:33 PM

It sounds like backwards logic, but I think Carson was a bad leader in those situations because they didn't play well.

There are a lot of situations where it makes sense for an otherwise confrontational guy to tone it down and simply let TO and Chad be TO and Chad.
There are a lot of situations where it makes sense for an otherwise quiet leader to tell Chad and TO to shut up and run the right route.

Leadership isn't about showing you're in charge, it's about getting the best possible performance from the team around you. I don't think anyone can argue that Carson's leadership brought out the best in Chad and TO last year.

I think in certain previous years, it made sense to let Chad and TJ be vocal and simply air it out. But when the team was struggling, or when the divas needed to simply do their own job, and someone needed them to just do their job, I don't think Carson ever adapted to what the team needed.

Sea Ray
09-15-2011, 03:33 PM
There's only so much the stuffed shirts can do about this kind of stuff. After awhile you need guys in the locker room to handle it

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Stuffed on three 3rd and 1's against a bad defense.

Stray
09-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Let's see if we can make a comeback in the 2nd half.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Some of Denvers best players aren't playing and the Bengals are still struggling.
They are so banged up at WR that Tebow is playing WR at times.

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 05:40 PM
This is just a reminder of where our Bengals are...they're still not very good.

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
They are going to have to show the ability to throw the ball downfield at some point.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Bengals go 3 and out to start the 2nd half and the Broncos backups quickly score 7

Joseph
09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Thats the Bengals we've all come to expect.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Bengals scored at TD and now have a short field after getting a strip sack fumble recovery.

Stray
09-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Really really impressed with Dalton. He just looks like he knows what he's doing back there.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Bengals have to settle for another field goal and are now down 17-15 (didn't convert 2 point conversion earlier)

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 06:29 PM
It was way too early to go for 2. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite them.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Clements making a big impact this week

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Clements making a big impact this week

Clements had good coverage. That was on Crocker for taking a terrible angle.

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 06:41 PM
A.J. Green is good.

Stray
09-18-2011, 06:41 PM
That is some serious footwork by Green. Win or lose, I'm gonna enjoy watching these guys this year.

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
This announcing crew is getting annoying.

Stray
09-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Simpson can't drop that pass

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Simpson can't drop that pass

He's so inconsistent. But according to Beuerlein, it was Dalton's fault. :rolleyes:

CTA513
09-18-2011, 07:08 PM
hard to claim to be a running team when you can't get 1 yard when you need it.

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Need to get to the 40 to give Nugent a chance in this thin Denver air.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Need to get to the 40 to give Nugent a chance in this thin Denver air.

just as long as Brad St. Louis isn't around since he would find a way to snap it over the holder

CTA513
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Bengals had a chance but Dalton took a sack he couldn't afford to take followed by 2 incomplete passes.

RiverRat13
09-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Bengals had a chance but Dalton took a sack he couldn't afford to take followed by 2 incomplete passes.

Yep. Have to be encouraged overall by Dalton's day, though. It seemed like the coaches took the handcuffs off of him in the 2nd half.

CTA513
09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Yep. Have to be encouraged overall by Dalton's day, though. It seemed like the coaches took the handcuffs off of him in the 2nd half.

Hopefully they leave them off and take advantage of teams trying to stop Benson early in games.

Stray
09-18-2011, 07:31 PM
1-1 heading into our first home game, I'll take it. I'm so impressed with Dalton, that sack was bad, but we gotta accept those rookie mistakes along the way.

traderumor
09-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Dalton and Green are impressive. The D has to do better against a crippled Denver O. Disappointing loss, but I think there is some talent on this team and they are gonna win some games.

I'm just refreshed by the sideline shots of the QB encouraging his teammates instead of watching Chad and Palmer yell at each other.

KoryMac5
09-18-2011, 07:47 PM
A fun young team for sure. Throw them to the wolves this season and see how they mature yr number two. I would definitely grab a big guy like the Bills got in Dareus in the draft Peko ain't getting it done for me.

traderumor
09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
A fun young team for sure. Throw them to the wolves this season and see how they mature yr number two. I would definitely grab a big guy like the Bills got in Dareus in the draft Peko ain't getting it done for me.Maybe they'll just play NFL football instead of the Schleprock whining like their fans do.

Yachtzee
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I feel like Micheal Corleone when it comes to the Bengals. I keep trying to get out and they keep pulling me back in.

I liked how the young Bengals offense never quit despite being down on the road. I feel much better watching a young Andy Dalton rallying the troops in a hostile environment than I would with a disheartened Carson Palmer trying to make due.

HeatherC1212
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I've had a rough sports weekend (only one of my teams won this weekend and that was my high school's football team, LOL) but I'm encouraged by the Bengals today. A few mistakes but some REALLY good stuff to build on too. I am liking Andy Dalton a lot and our receivers seem to be clicking pretty good with him too. This team may not win a ton of games but we can't say we aren't entertained by them. I may actually try to go to a game this year so I can see them in person. Not that I want to give Mike Brown money but I really want to cheer these young guys on this year. :)

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
He's so inconsistent. But according to Beuerlein, it was Dalton's fault. :rolleyes:

In defense of Beuerlein, Lapham on the radio blamed it on Dalton too, throwing off his back foot and behind the receiver

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 08:24 PM

That was by far his biggest rookie mistake and all things considered, that's not half bad

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I would definitely grab a big guy like the Bills got in Dareus in the draft Peko ain't getting it done for me.

They've got a big guy right now on the practice squad in Jason Shirley. If they decide that's what they need then they ought to give him a chance first and see what they got

KoryMac5
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Need somebody to plug the holes no way Mcgahee should be rushing for 100 yds on anyone. However Zimmer loves him some Peko! Overall should be a roller coaster ride of a season, in a fun way.

Love Gruden but would love his calls more if we could pick up a first down in short ydg situations.

Redhook
09-18-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm shocked to say this, but I was thoroughly impressed with the Bengals today. I'm very surprised with Dalton. He's actually good. And Green is going to be awesome.

paintmered
09-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I expected the Bengals to completely suck this year. They don't. They had a good shot to take down a decent team on the road today and came up a touch short. The Bengals as we know them would have rolled over when giving up that touchdown in the 4th quarter. This team didn't. Dalton has shown that he has maturity beyond his years, throws an accurate ball and makes good decisions. A.J. Green appears worthy of the 4th pick. There's plenty to build on, even if this year doesn't take them to the promised land. I don't think any Bengals fan can be anything but hopeful with what we've seen so far, even with today's result.

Redsfaithful
09-18-2011, 09:42 PM
That was a fun game.

Still remains to be seen how good Dalton will be, but in my wildest hopes I wouldn't have expected him to play so well so soon. And AJ Green is as advertised.

Sure helps gong forward if they have the QB and #1 WR positions locked down.

Carson Palmer tossing to Housh in California somewhere must be a ridiculously depressing scene.

Redhook
09-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't think any Bengals fan can be anything but hopeful with what we've seen so far, even with today's result.

I'm actually happier after today's game than last weeks. After last week, I had no clue about this team. After today, I realized Dalton will be a very good QB for years to come. Much better than expected. After today, I realized Green will be a superstar. He's amazing. I'm pretty happy with this team and I couldn't be more surprised.

This team will win more games than I thought this year and could possibly be a .500 team.

MWM
09-18-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm not as thrilled with Dalton as others, but pleasantly surprised. I think he could be decent, but his limitations are what they are. I think his ceiling is Chad Pennington, but I hope he proves me wrong.

WMR
09-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Maybe they'll just play NFL football instead of the Schleprock whining like their fans do.

Few fanbases have been as abused over the decades than Bengals fans.

WVRed
09-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not as thrilled with Dalton as others, but pleasantly surprised. I think he could be decent, but his limitations are what they are. I think his ceiling is Chad Pennington, but I hope he proves me wrong.

I see a young Jon Kitna, both as a person and as a QB.

He does have more of a leadership presence than Kitna did though.

KoryMac5
09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Thought Bengals played too conservative in the first half. Jay opened it up and Andy got into a nice flow with the no huddle in the 2nd half. Would have loved to see the Bengals go no huddle for most of the second half as Denver was so depleted. Say this about Dalton he didn't look like a rookie out there today. Good command of the huddle and he knows where the ball needs to go. Hard to say what Dalton can be after 2 games. I think I will make comparisons after his rookie year is over.

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 10:21 PM

He doesn't seem to have the knack for a turnover like Kitna though and that's a big difference. I don't think Kitna was prepared to win two road games in the NFL either right out of college

Mario-Rijo
09-19-2011, 02:39 AM
I was encouraged by Daltons play today (and Greens) but admittedly no Champ Bailey, no Dumervil, little pass rush for Denver so we will see how it goes from here. If they invest heavily in the O-Line as time goes on we might have something solid going here.

Mario-Rijo
09-19-2011, 02:40 AM
He doesn't seem to have the knack for a turnover like Kitna though and that's a big difference. I don't think Kitna was prepared to win two road games in the NFL either right out of college

True plus I do think Daulton may have a shade more arm also.

bucksfan2
09-19-2011, 09:36 AM

I think he has much more upside than Kitna did. But I think you underestimate the kind of leader Kitna was. I think his leadership more than anything else is why he has remained in the league for as long as he has.

Dalton has surpassed my expectations so far. It appears as if he cam make all the throws and he has command of the huddle already. He has looked poised in the pocket and hasn't made those big rookie mistakes yet. As for the sack its the kind you hear everyone say "You can't take that sack" but I don't know how many QB's can avoid that sack. Its easy to say it from the couch or the booth but in reality a blitz up the middle coming almost untouched is something that very few QB's in the league can avoid.

RiverRat13
09-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Dalton is going to be more accurate than Kitna is well. I don't mind the Pennington comparison. You can win with a Chad Pennington if you surround him with talent. And Green certainly looks like a legit top 5 receiver in the making, contrasting to the only-in-his-own-mind top 5 receiver we used to have around here.

I still think they'll be around 5-11. That was not a good Denver team they played, especially with all of the Bronco injuries. But the Bengals don't seem completely hopeless, either.

Reds Fanatic
09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I had a bad feeling the way it looked yesterday and today it has been confirmed Jordan Shipley is out for the rest of the year with a torn ACL.

CTA513
09-21-2011, 07:56 PM
More good news for the Bengals:

Calif. marijuana shipment tracked to NFL player's home
September 21, 2011

An operation by state narcotics agents that tracked a shipment of high-grade marijuana from Northern California led police to a suburban Kentucky house and two National Football League players, law enforcement authorities said.

Cincinnati Bengals teammates Jerome Simpson and Anthony Collins, both 25, were at Simpson’s home in Crestview Hills, Ky., yesterday when a package allegedly containing 2.5 pounds of marijuana arrived at the house in what authorities called a controlled delivery.

A third person, Aleen Smith, allegedly signed for the package, which was sent from Eureka, Calif., and intercepted in Sacramento, authorities said. All three were questioned at the residence, but no arrests were made at the time.

Inside the home, police allegedly found six more pounds of marijuana, other empty parcels, scales and packaging material.

“The house was set up as a potential distribution network,” said Tommy LaNier, head of the National Marijuana Initiative, a group that is funded by the Office of National Drug Control Policy and helps coordinate marijuana enforcement operations around the United States.

“They had it all set up to receive supplies of high-grade marijuana from Northern California, and from there, it was being distributed from that residence,” he said.

rest of story: http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/calif-marijuana-shipment-tracked-nfl-players-home-12698

Stray
09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Maybe he's just been stoned out of his mind this season, that would explain his drops.

dougdirt
09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
More good news for the Bengals:

Here is where I am simply confused beyond belief..... The police found 6 more pounds, scales and "packaging material" in the house as well. Yet NO ONE WAS ARRESTED. How is that even possible?

CTA513
09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Here is where I am simply confused beyond belief..... The police found 6 more pounds, scales and "packaging material" in the house as well. Yet NO ONE WAS ARRESTED. How is that even possible?

Not sure, but Brad Johansen just tweeted this:

bradjohansen Brad Johansen
We have confirmed with the California bureau of narcotics that the #bengals players are part of what is now an ongoing investigation

http://twitter.com/#!/bradjohansen/status/116666432514830337

Joe Reedy also tweeted that the neighbors said the police were at the house for over 4 hours the other day.
http://twitter.com/#!/joereedy/status/116666543915540480

dabvu2498
09-21-2011, 08:47 PM

The Feds are involved and generally they act only when they're darn good well and ready. Maybe there's an even bigger shipment coming that they want them to be caught with. Anyways, these guys are highly visible, not likely to flee and you know they're being watched. I'm guessing their goose is pretty well cooked. It's just a matter of time.

KoryMac5
09-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Well I guess you could say their careers are up in smoke. Thank you I will be here all week!

texasdave
09-21-2011, 10:59 PM

The authorities probably figured playing for the Bengals was punishment enough.

Sea Ray
09-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't write off these guys yet. Jamal Lewis was convicted of selling cocaine and he did four mos of jail time and no NFL suspension so far as I can recall. Pot is not punished nearly as harshly. We'll have to watch this play out. Let's hope their agent is working the phones right now to get them the best defense money can buy

Stray
09-22-2011, 12:04 PM
It doesn't say a lot about what's going on between his ears. Who orders weed by mail?

Redsfaithful
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
It doesn't say a lot about what's going on between his ears. Who orders weed by mail?

I'd say the USPS/FedEx/UPS all move a lot more drugs than anyone realizes. It's a fairly fail safe scenario, fake the return address and the person receiving has plausible deniability.

bucksfan2
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Better watch out Jerome, Omar is going to get you!

CTA513
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
3 game suspension for Benson according to Mike Silver and PFT:

Cedric Benson gets three-game suspension
Posted by Mike Florio on September 22, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT

Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that Benson has been informed that he’ll be suspended three games. His appeal will be heard next Tuesday.

Benson will be permitted to play this weekend, when the Bengals host the 49ers. Silver writes on Twitter that, if the appeal isn’t successful, Benson will miss the games against the Bills, Jaguars, and Colts.

Benson was cited for assault of a former roommate during the lockout. He eventually resolved an assault charge from 2010 (for which he had been told he wouldn’t be suspended) and the more recent charge with a plea deal that resulted in a handful of days in jail, before the start of the season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/22/cedric-benson-gets-three-game-suspension/

Chip R
09-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Better watch out Jerome, Omar is going to get you!

Indeed!

Stray
09-22-2011, 04:41 PM
How can Goodell suspend a player for something done while he wasn't an NFL employee? Not saying Benson doesn't deserve it, it just doesn't make sense.

Newport Red
09-22-2011, 04:54 PM
The Bengals still remain more interesting off the field than on.

Redsfaithful
09-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Never easy for this franchise.

On top of everything else, AJ Green was limited in practice today because of a toe injury.

KoryMac5
09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Rumors flying around about this Simpson situation, seems it could involve multiple players and ex players nothing substantiated yet. Not one to believe such things but Simpson hasn't been arrested yet, which leads me to believe he is singing like a canary in order to save his own skin.

We have seen dark days in Bengal Land this situation could be bringing darker clouds overhead for awhile. Too bad as I would rather be talking about Dalton and Green, than this nonsense.

Redhook
09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Rumors flying around about this Simpson situation, seems it could involve multiple players and ex players nothing substantiated yet. Not one to believe such things but Simpson hasn't been arrested yet, which leads me to believe he is singing like a canary in order to save his own skin.

We have seen dark days in Bengal Land this situation could be bringing darker clouds overhead for awhile. Too bad as I would rather be talking about Dalton and Green, than this nonsense.

It really is mind-boggling. And sad. And something, as Bengals fans, we're far too familiar with.

wolfboy
09-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that Collins claims this was a case of wrong place, wrong time for him. This seems to be corroborated by Rob Sanders, Kenton County attorney who said the following:

“I am not aware of any evidence that would contradict Mr. Collins statement,” Sanders said. “Anyone who implied Mr. Collins was involved in criminal activity probably owes him an apology.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/09/23/collins-releases-statement-through-his-attorney/

KoryMac5
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Reedy acknowledges via a question posted on twitter that one of the rumors that are circulating strongly through the league is that this investigation involves more than Simpson and could include 7 current and former Bengals.

If it was just Jerome an arrest would have been made already. Drug investigations are about who supplied you and where else is this stuff going. Can't imagine what the fall out would be and I hope it isn't true.

Reds Freak
09-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Reedy acknowledges via a question posted on twitter that one of the rumors that are circulating strongly through the league is that this investigation involves more than Simpson and could include 7 current and former Bengals.

If it was just Jerome an arrest would have been made already. Drug investigations are about who supplied you and where else is this stuff going. Can't imagine what the fall out would be and I hope it isn't true.

Has there been any speculation or rumors for names of those seven?

KoryMac5
09-23-2011, 10:50 PM
There has been speculation on the 7 but the site it is posted on is not very reliable. Due to this unreliability I don't feel right repeating it, plus it has not been verified by at least two other sources. It is currently an ongoing debate on Bengals.com message board under the Reedy tweets Simpson and Collins busted for pot. It's 70 pages long I believe the names are around pg 67.

Got a bad feeling about this, but that comes with being a Bengals fan.

gilpdawg
09-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I'd say the USPS/FedEx/UPS all move a lot more drugs than anyone realizes. It's a fairly fail safe scenario, fake the return address and the person receiving has plausible deniability.

I love the FedEx guy. He's a drug dealer and he don't even know it.
-Mitch Hedberg

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Stray
09-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Hate to make guesses here, but on Mo's show the other day he was doing an interview with a dude that covered the 49ers. That guy mentioned how the package came from Rey Maualuga's hometown. It was just a joke then, but if there are other players involved it makes you wonder. Hopefully it's just Jerome or else this thing could get really ugly.

wolfboy
09-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Yikes. Hopefully just a rumor.

Oxilon
09-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Let's just pretend for a moment that there are 7 other Bengals tied to this marijuana ring. How could Mike Brown not step down from this? Given the Bengals' recent history regarding players with off the field issue, and a potential NFL drug ring was based out of the Bengals roster, I can only imagine Goodell and the NFL would put pressure on Mike Brown to resign. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Hoosier Red
09-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Let's just pretend for a moment that there are 7 other Bengals tied to this marijuana ring. How could Mike Brown not step down from this? Given the Bengals' recent history regarding players with off the field issue, and a potential NFL drug ring was based out of the Bengals roster, I can only imagine Goodell and the NFL would put pressure on Mike Brown to resign. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

That's just wishful thinking on your part. Mike Brown is an owner. Owners don't "step down." Perhaps he could be "pressured" to sell. But I think we've learned that Mike Brown is going to do what he's going to do.

KoryMac5
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I honestly think the rumors are false, more guys would have been excused from practice to answer questions. Ex players would have flown in and ESPN or Yahoo would be all over this by now. Just a lot of smoke right now.

Hoosier Red
09-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I honestly think the rumors are false, more guys would have been excused from practice to answer questions. Ex players would have flown in and ESPN or Yahoo would be all over this by now. Just a lot of smoke right now.

You don't say. :p

Redhook
09-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Any chance Jerome plays today?

Redhook
09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Any chance Jerome plays today?

Just saw on Lance's blog that he will play. I'm a little surprised by this since he didn't practice the last few days.

CTA513
09-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Bengals got booed for running out the clock to get to halftime while up 3-0

Oxilon
09-25-2011, 03:11 PM
This may be the least entertaining game of all time. It's 'Royals/Orioles game in mid September' boring.

HeatherC1212
09-25-2011, 03:14 PM
This may be the least entertaining game of all time. It's 'Royals/Orioles game in mid September' boring.

I see your point but the Orioles have been playing good baseball lately and making life miserable for several teams trying to get into the playoffs (Angels, Rays, BoSox). Don't know how the Royals are doing though, LOL :laugh:

I haven't been following the game on a regular basis this afternoon and it doesn't sound like I'm missing too much. :p

Oxilon
09-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I see your point but the Orioles have been playing good baseball lately and making life miserable for several teams trying to get into the playoffs (Angels, Rays, BoSox). Don't know how the Royals are doing though, LOL :laugh:

I haven't been following the game on a regular basis this afternoon and it doesn't sound like I'm missing too much. :p

LOL Fair enough. Maybe I should have replaced the Orioles with the Astros, or any other MLB team playing meaningless September baseball. Never the less, yeah, you aren't missing anything.

CTA513
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Bengals take a 6-3 lead and the defense rolls over and the 49ers take a 10-6 lead
Bengals get the ball and Dalton quickly throws a pick

Joseph
09-25-2011, 03:54 PM
This franchise/team is just terrible. I don't care how many 'Can you root for the kids and not support Mike Brown' articles or philosophies there are out there.

CTA513
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Dalton had a chance to make up for it and throws behind Gresham for pick #2

Dalton finishes 17 for 32 for 157 yards

KoryMac5
09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Going to be a lot of empty seats this season.

GAC
09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Even with Directv's Sunday Ticket I couldn't watch the Bengal's game due to the blackout rule and while I live in central Ohio I get my local channels via Dayton.

I guess I didn't miss much though as I followed it on NFL's Gameday Scorecard, and it looked pretty bland.

UKFlounder
09-25-2011, 05:47 PM
1-2 and in last place by the end of September, so things on are on schedule it seems.

KoryMac5
09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Time to let Marvin go, team is going no where this season no use in keeping loyalty to him. Make Zimmer HC and look for a new candidate after the end of the season.

Redsfaithful
09-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Going to be games like this with a rookie QB. Not sure why anyone would feel much different about the team after today then after week 1 or week 2.

I'm not sure if the 49ers were just blanketing the wide receivers or what, but I wasn't thrilled with the play calling today. Seemed like night and day from last week to this week, or from the first series to the rest of the game.

I'm also really tired of running Cedric Benson into the line when it's first and goal from the 6 or 7.

KoryMac5
09-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Gruden doesn't seem like the type to dial down, I'm thinking Marvin is the one wanting a more conservative gameplan. But hey we are back in the Suck for Luck Sweeps!

Joseph
09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Gruden doesn't seem like the type to dial down, I'm thinking Marvin is the one wanting a more conservative gameplan. But hey we are back in the Suck for Luck Sweeps!

We never left, we just wanted to believe we weren't in it. This teams gonna win 3-4 games no matter what it does out there.

Mario-Rijo
09-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Going to be games like this with a rookie QB. Not sure why anyone would feel much different about the team after today then after week 1 or week 2.

I'm not sure if the 49ers were just blanketing the wide receivers or what, but I wasn't thrilled with the play calling today. Seemed like night and day from last week to this week, or from the first series to the rest of the game.

I'm also really tired of running Cedric Benson into the line when it's first and goal from the 6 or 7.

What about the play calling didn't you like? I came into the game expecting as much, S.F. isn't a porous defense. They are very good at stopping the run and mediocre at stopping the pass. But they have a very creative DC in Fangio and we have a bunch of youth catching the ball. I watched most of the game thru a live feed and Dalton didn't look as bad as the numbers suggest (though it was his worst game yet) nor did the playcalling seem to be the problem IMO. Execution would be the issue, alot of that by the WR's some of it by the O-Line and some of it by Dalton himself. Though in this case I'd have to give the defense and their play calls alot of the credit, they seemed to make the right calls and executed.

Running the ball kept us in this game but it all just wasnt' enough to win.

Stray
09-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah going into the season I knew there would be bumps on the road for Dalton. After week 1 and 2 it changed a little bit, but it shouldn't have. He'll only get better after days like today...he just seems like the kinda guy that will work to correct today's mistakes.

Play calling was okay, San Fran has one of the best front 7 in all of football. We weren't going to run the ball with any consistency...we had to be able to protect Dalton though because their secondary can be thrown on. I remember seeing Andre Smith get run over pretty bad haha, it was ugly. I would have liked to see Bernard Scott a little more and maybe some screen passes, but it didn't seem like San Fran was needing more than their front 4 very often, so the screen game might not have really worked.

Mario-Rijo
09-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah going into the season I knew there would be bumps on the road for Dalton. After week 1 and 2 it changed a little bit, but it shouldn't have. He'll only get better after days like today...he just seems like the kinda guy that will work to correct today's mistakes.

Play calling was okay, San Fran has one of the best front 7 in all of football. We weren't going to run the ball with any consistency...we had to be able to protect Dalton though because their secondary can be thrown on. I remember seeing Andre Smith get run over pretty bad haha, it was ugly. I would have liked to see Bernard Scott a little more and maybe some screen passes, but it didn't seem like San Fran was needing more than their front 4 very often, so the screen game might not have really worked.

Well really the biggest issue (aside from execution) was the 9ers didn't respect us on the deep front and used that to their advantage, playing us short to intermediate. So from that perspective I understand why someone would think we played it too close to the vest and we did a bit but no team throws the ball deep more than a few times a game so we need to do a better job of stretching the field but so far that is something that Dalton isn't the greatest at and unfortunately I'm not sure if he will ever be able to consistently get it downfield. Had Gruden thrown it downfield a time or 2 more perhaps it would have changed the complexion of the game perhaps not but this is still a learning experience for him as well. Too soon to judge him at all really, he is getting alot out of what little he has to work with.

And yeah Ahmad Brooks destroyed Andre Smith and Andy Dalton all on one play. Too bad he isn't consistently good or we might have kept him.

Redsfaithful
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
What about the play calling didn't you like?

The goal line calls, as previously mentioned, mostly seemed low percentage. They also were having a great deal of success on quick throws the first series and then seemed to get away from it. Marvin even mentioned in the post game that they need to stick with what's working and that they got away from it.

It's impossible to talk play calling completely though, since I watched it in on tv. You can't tell on tv if receivers are covered consistently, which is why I said that in the last post about not being sure if they were covered all day or what.

CTA513
09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Watching other teams TEs have huge days makes me wonder what Gresham would do if he was on a team that knew how to use a talented TE.

Oxilon
09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Watching other teams TEs have huge days makes me wonder what Gresham would do if he was on a team that knew how to use a talented TE.

I agree we have never really used a TE the way we could. But that really has nothing to do with why other teams pwn us with their TEs. That has more to do with having a poor pair of safeties (for how long) and average LBs (Maualuga has been a real disappointment).

Sea Ray
09-26-2011, 08:23 PM
I agree we have never really used a TE the way we could. But that really has nothing to do with why other teams pwn us with their TEs. That has more to do with having a poor pair of safeties (for how long) and average LBs (Maualuga has been a real disappointment).

What's our excuse for not using a RB (in the passing game) either?

bucksfan2
09-27-2011, 08:50 AM
What's our excuse for not using a RB (in the passing game) either?

Chris Perry got hurt.

The Bengals actually have used Brian Leonard pretty well but its in small samples. The feature backs like Benson and Rudi and even Dillon never seemed to be good reliable pass catchers. But the Bengals really have never used the screen pass to much effect. It seems like some teams fall in love with it and others just don't use it.

Sea Ray
09-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Chris Perry got hurt.

The Bengals actually have used Brian Leonard pretty well but its in small samples. The feature backs like Benson and Rudi and even Dillon never seemed to be good reliable pass catchers. But the Bengals really have never used the screen pass to much effect. It seems like some teams fall in love with it and others just don't use it.

Past history is irrelevant. We have a new O coordinator with a new system. I've never heard of a west coast offense that doesn't throw to the RBs. Bernard Scott should be the featured target of screen passes yet he's AWOL.

Mario-Rijo
09-27-2011, 09:27 AM
The goal line calls, as previously mentioned, mostly seemed low percentage. They also were having a great deal of success on quick throws the first series and then seemed to get away from it. Marvin even mentioned in the post game that they need to stick with what's working and that they got away from it.

It's impossible to talk play calling completely though, since I watched it in on tv. You can't tell on tv if receivers are covered consistently, which is why I said that in the last post about not being sure if they were covered all day or what.

What did we have like 6 plays down there? Kind of a small sample.

Redsfaithful
09-27-2011, 10:06 AM
What did we have like 6 plays down there? Kind of a small sample.

The second first and goal series was a run up the middle, a QB bootleg with few options, and a fade route that barely ever seemed to work with Carson Palmer, let alone a rookie QB. That was an ugly sequence, small sample or not.

I'm glad Brat is gone, but Gruden's been uneven so far. Some of it is personnel and execution, obviously, but some of it's the playcalling. Marvin said as much in his press conference this week.

CTA513
10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Dalton so far: 4 for 18 for 107 yards and 2 INTs (1 returned for a TD)

UKFlounder
10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Well, it sounds like Marvin's got 'em rolling today, especially on offense. Dalton with a 12.3 QB rating near the end of the half. That's spectacularly bad

CTA513
10-02-2011, 02:30 PM
17-3 after Daltons 2nd pick leads to a TD before halftime.

RiverRat13
10-02-2011, 02:36 PM
If it was still 10-3 I would say bring in Gradkowski. Now, might as well leave Dalton in there and learn. No chance to win this one.

Stray
10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Pretty dumb how much our fans are booing.

I can understand it some days, but not so much today. Or especially on that drive.

CTA513
10-02-2011, 02:59 PM
anyone needing a kicker in fantasy football should see about picking up Nugent

Tony Cloninger
10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Pretty dumb how much our fans are booing.

I can understand it some days, but not so much today. Or especially on that drive.

The play calling is terrible. Brat is gone but Marvin still runs this team....and he has yet to understand the modern game on any level. His goal is to play no to lose.... that is all.

Stray
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
The highs and lows of a team with a bunch of rookies...

Awesome start to this half though.

Stray
10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
The play calling is terrible. Brat is gone but Marvin still runs this team....and he has yet to understand the modern game on any level. His goal is to play no to lose.... that is all.

3rd and goal on the 3 is not a clear running down in the NFL. It was a good playcall and a good throw, AJ just missed the catch. Kicking the field goal was the obvious right call, coming away empty handed would have been a killer.

Booing that is dumb.

WMR
10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
3rd and goal on the 3 is not a clear running down in the NFL. It was a good playcall and a good throw, AJ just missed the catch. Kicking the field goal was the obvious right call, coming away empty handed would have been a killer.

Booing that is dumb.

Not as dumb as going to a Bengals game and supporting the evil Mike Brown. :D

Stray
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Not as dumb as going to a Bengals game and supporting the evil Mike Brown. :D

Lol that is a good point.

RiverRat13
10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm not impressed with Dan Hoard. A radio play-by-play guy shouldn't wait 5 seconds until the play is over to let the listener know where the ball is at.

WMR
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Have the blackout rules ever actually made someone change their mind and go to a game?

Such an archaic, asinine philosophy... if anything, you want to STIMULATE interest when your NFL cash cow is so pathetic that you're not selling out your home games... Cutting tv coverage just increases fan apathy.

CTA513
10-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Bengals tied it up with about 4 minutes left.

Stray
10-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Awesome 2nd half by Dalton. Need our D to hold.

Stray
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
And the D holds. Let's see how Dalton does in a 2 minute drill with the game on the line.

No turnovers please.

CTA513
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
don't know how long it will last, but the game is on TV right now

CTA513
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Bengals just got in range for a winning field goal

dabvu2498
10-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Dalton has earned his big boy shoes today.

CTA513
10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Nugent nails it to win the game 23-20

Stray
10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
What a game!

CTA513
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Dalton with a much better 2nd half.
Bills really didn't do much outside of the points they scored off turnovers.

fearofpopvol1
Andy Dalton impressed the heck out of me. He's made some rookie mistakes obviously, but he is a tough dude.

UKFlounder
Well, that was pretty cool.

Glad they played 4 quarters :)

RiverRat13
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
What a comeback! I love the draw call by Gruden around midfield when you have two timeouts left. It seems like the draw in that situation is good for 8-15 yards every single time. Not enough teams do it. Great call.

KoryMac5
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Did we actually see some second half adjustments by the Bengals on offense. It's called go deep to Green because nobody can cover the kid, same with Gresham. Definitely a tale of two halves for this team. Good win for the young red headed QB!

Redsfaithful
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
People have to calm down if Andy Dalton looks bad for a half or even an entire game. He's doing great for a rookie QB, but there's going to be rough patches.

Obvious letdown game for Buffalo, but the Bengals still dominated much more than the score showed. It was only close because of the turnovers. And I think the defense is legitimately good.

texasdave
10-02-2011, 05:52 PM
After the Jets take care of the Ravens tonight, there will be a four-way tie for the lead in the division at the quarter pole.

Hoosier Red
10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Did we actually see some second half adjustments by the Bengals on offense. It's called go deep to Green because nobody can cover the kid, same with Gresham. Definitely a tale of two halves for this team. Good win for the young red headed QB!

AJ Green is the perfect receiver for a QB without the strongest arm. On both of the big plays they mentioned that the ball was actually a little bit under thrown, but Green boxed out the DB, jumped up and made the catch.
Essentially, he's as dangerous as ever when the play calls for him to run 20, 30, 40 yards and go up and grab the ball.

Those long passes that hit the receiver streaking in stride are pretty but very hard to time up correctly.

dougdirt
10-02-2011, 07:09 PM
He is a bad rookie quarterback on a bad team in the NFL. He isn't accurate with his throws. He looks to run too quickly. I just don't see it with the guy, at least to the point that he should have gone in the first round or should be starting in the NFL. The fact that the Panthers didn't even bring in a vet QB is hilarious. Their 1st string QB is a rookie who has issues at actually being a quarterback. Their 2nd string QB is the guy who had far and away the worst QB rating (the new ESPN one) in all of the game last year. This team might just go ahead and draft Andrew Luck in 2012.

Um. My bad Cam. My bad.

KoryMac5
10-02-2011, 07:41 PM
All is ask is for a team to show some heart and act like they care out there. I think we saw a lot of heart today from this team. Are they playoff bound, no and they will probably be up and down all year. But looking at that sideline in the 4th quarter and seeing those guys into the game made this fan a happy guy. You can't help but root for these guys. Just real workman like out there nothing flashy or fancy, a much needed change in these parts.

blumj
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
After the Jets take care of the Ravens tonight, there will be a four-way tie for the lead in the division at the quarter pole.

This Ravens-Jets game is the most fun game between 2 teams I can't stand that I can remember ever watching.

Sea Ray
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
If it was still 10-3 I would say bring in Gradkowski. Now, might as well leave Dalton in there and learn. No chance to win this one.

:confused:

Sea Ray
10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
People have to calm down if Andy Dalton looks bad for a half or even an entire game. He's doing great for a rookie QB, but there's going to be rough patches.

Obvious letdown game for Buffalo, but the Bengals still dominated much more than the score showed. It was only close because of the turnovers. And I think the defense is legitimately good.

I was at the game and it was really only close because of two really lucky bounces. The first came on a tipped Fitzpatrick pass that went sideways to a WR who turned it into a big play. The Bills eventually turned that play into points. Then there was the lucky bounce off of Andre Caldwell leading to a TD.

bucksfan2
10-03-2011, 09:09 AM
All is ask is for a team to show some heart and act like they care out there. I think we saw a lot of heart today from this team. Are they playoff bound, no and they will probably be up and down all year. But looking at that sideline in the 4th quarter and seeing those guys into the game made this fan a happy guy. You can't help but root for these guys. Just real workman like out there nothing flashy or fancy, a much needed change in these parts.

There were times when the "old" Bengals used to have much more talent but would come out of the gates flat. You knew it from the first few drives that they were going to play unmotivated football. It was a shame because you knew they were more talented than the opposing team but it didn't matter.

This team is refreshing. There is enthusiasm, energy, and youth. The talent is there it just hasn't matured yet. They are going to make mistakes, play awful halves and games, but it won't be for lack of effort. They are fun to watch and hopefully will turn themselves into a winner in the near future.

The Operator
10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
But looking at that sideline in the 4th quarter and seeing those guys into the game made this fan a happy guy. You can't help but root for these guys. Just real workman like out there nothing flashy or fancy, a much needed change in these parts.Very refreshing after the last few years of this:

http://whodeyfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/carson-palmer-ochocinco.jpg

Hoosier Red
10-03-2011, 11:24 PM
I was at the game and it was really only close because of two really lucky bounces. The first came on a tipped Fitzpatrick pass that went sideways to a WR who turned it into a big play. The Bills eventually turned that play into points. Then there was the lucky bounce off of Andre Caldwell leading to a TD.

I have to say, I'm glad I was proven wrong. I thought they should have gone for it on 4th and goal when they were down 17-3.

Sea Ray
10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I thought they should have gone for it on 4th and goal when they were down 17-3.

I did too. Kudos to them for pulling out the W

CTA513
10-06-2011, 01:27 AM
From PFT:

Cedric Benson seems frustrated with Bengals offense
Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT

With the appeal of his three-game suspension still not resolved, Bengals running back Cedric Benson will be available to play on Sunday, when the team heads to Jacksonville.

But he doesn’t seem to be happy with the manner in which the team’s offense is playing under new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

“Often times you want to express how you feel about something but sometimes people don’t want to receive it the right way or how they receive it could be confusing or cause some conflict,” Benson said, per Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “There’s guys who make those calls who put us in a position to win.”

Rest of story: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/05/cedric-benson-seems-frustrated-with-bengals-offense/

Benson is tied for 2nd in the NFL with 77 carries which is 4 carries behind Peterson.

The Operator
10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
What exactly would Benson have to be unhappy about?

Redsfaithful
10-06-2011, 08:32 AM
He's a touchy guy it seems like, not good. I was wondering if he'd get irritated with Scott getting mixed in, and it looks like it.

He's kind of right when it came to last Sunday, I'm not sure why they weren't running more in the first half. The change was dramatic when they went more to the run in the second.

fearofpopvol1
10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Mel Kiper Jr. wrote an article today on ESPN titled "Buying on the Bengals." It's an Insider article, but he praises the Bengals a lot, especially for the 2011 draft which he said was outstanding and 1 of the best in football.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7071857/nfl-bengals-ahead-schedule-transition

Redsfaithful
10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Weird to see the Bengals get positive press. I'm not sure where they end up this year, but they're not the lost cause everyone (myself included) expected. I was thinking 5-6 wins, but the ceiling might be higher.

fearofpopvol1
10-08-2011, 04:36 AM
I think they've got a shot at being .500 this year, which I would think would be something to hang their hat on going into next season with a year under Dalton's belt.

Redsfaithful
10-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I think they've got a shot at being .500 this year, which I would think would be something to hang their hat on going into next season with a year under Dalton's belt.

Absolutely, 8 wins would be tremendous.

The Operator
10-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Weird to see the Bengals get positive press. I'm not sure where they end up this year, but they're not the lost cause everyone (myself included) expected. I was thinking 5-6 wins, but the ceiling might be higher.Seems to be their MO. When expectations are low, they'll surprise you with a decent team. Expect anything at all out of them, and you'll get 2006/2007/2010/etc.

Redhook
10-08-2011, 09:58 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree. Dalton is better than I thought he'd be and the schedule is softer than butter left out in the sun. That equals a decent year for the Bengals.

RiverRat13
10-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Despite some terrible officiating, the Bengals have come back and tied it at 13.

Redhook
10-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Somehow the Bengals are tied at the half, 13-13, despite looking pretty bad, having poor field position all half, and missing an extra point. Luckily, the defense stopped the Jags twice inside of the 5 holding them to field goals which has kept them in the game.

CTA513
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Someone needs to take Tates kick return job

Stray
10-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah Tate is terrible. Our O-Line is pretty bad too.

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Not impressed with Gruden's play calling.

RiverRat13
10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Twice now poor angles by Bengal DEs have turned easy sacks into big plays for Jax.

RiverRat13
10-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Terrible tackling today. Dunlap with two straight missed plays in the backfield.

Stray
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Not impressed with Gruden's play calling.

Not easy conditions to call a game in. Especially with Dalton's arm strength. Mother Nature took our down field passing game away in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

RiverRat13
10-09-2011, 03:33 PM
And terrible safety play bites the Bengals once again.

Stray
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Gotta hand it to Dalton, he's good when he needs to be.

Stray
10-09-2011, 04:01 PM
3-2

Not bad eh?

RiverRat13
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Ugly but I'll take it. If the Bengals can upgrade the Oline and get a more explosive RB in the offseason, I think they have the makings of a really nice offense next season. Dalton and the young WR corp have been fun to watch this year.

Brutus
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
The Bengals were definitely left for dead as everyone assumed they'd be one of the worst teams in the league. That's clearly not the case... the defense has been surprisingly good and the offense has a pretty nice ceiling.

The schedule is to be taken into account, but that's perhaps one reason why this team has a chance to surprise.

The loss of Shipley hurt, but the receiving core is deep enough to withstand it. I'd like to see more out of the running game too. The defense, though, definitely has surprised me. The line has been dominant (except for tackling as mentioned already). Like what I see out of this team.

CTA513
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
a win and 24 carries for Benson, but will that be enough to make him happy?

forfreelin04
10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Based on what I saw in preseason and the low expectations, I couldn't be happier to be a bengals fan!! :D

Stray
10-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Our offensive line is definitely the weak link, but I can't find it in myself to complain about an ugly win. Given the expectations I couldn't be happier. Dalton's poise is so impressive, a lot of rookies are gonna look like rookies with the game on the line.

reds1869
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I predicted three wins and they are already there. This team has one thing previous teams have lacked: discipline (at least on the field). I believe they can win the wide open AFC North with a few lucky bounces.

Brutus
10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Our offensive line is definitely the weak link, but I can't find it in myself to complain about an ugly win. Given the expectations I couldn't be happier. Dalton's poise is so impressive, a lot of rookies are gonna look like rookies with the game on the line.

Dalton is gonna' be a top-5 guy in this league before he's done, health-permitting. He's amazingly poised for a rookie. Heck, he's poised for a veteran. His passing skills are tremendous but I'm so impressed with his moxy.

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I predicted three wins and they are already there. This team has one thing previous teams have lacked: discipline (at least on the field). I believe they can win the wide open AFC North with a few lucky bounces.

I had them winning 6, hopefully they will prove me wrong!

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2011, 04:47 PM

It sure does not make me happy. 53 freaking yards? Is this 1974? I think Larry Brown gained barely 3 yards a carry that year after a few years of 1000 yard seasons for the Redskins.

Brutus
10-09-2011, 04:50 PM
It sure does not make me happy. 53 freaking yards? Is this 1974? I think Larry Brown gained barely 3 yards a carry that year after a few years of 1000 yard seasons for the Redskins.

He had no room to run today. Not defending Benson's little outbursts by any means, but every time he touched the ball, he had to elude a defensive lineman that was in the backfield. There were times I was surprised he made it back to the line of scrimmage.

As someone eluded to... offensive line is definitely the weak link to this team.

WMR
10-09-2011, 04:57 PM
It's just so difficult for me to "buy into" or get excited about the Bengals...

Like when Charlie Brown goes time after time to try and kick that football only to end up on his back.

UKFlounder
10-09-2011, 05:00 PM
3-2 is certainly better than I expected, and given how close they were to beating Denver and San Francisco, this has been a solid start.

There's a long way to go, but they're proving me wrong so far as I thought they would be very bad again

Redsfaithful
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Jacksonville has a decent defense. Most of their problems are on the other side of the ball.

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
The O-Line might've been bad today, but Benson needs to move his freaking feet. I'm tired of watching him just run into walls of defenders.

Joseph
10-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Like when Charlie Brown goes time after time to try and kick that football only to end up on his back.

Thats exactly where I am in terms of feeling. I'll steal a peek, or watch a bit here and there but I still feel like...same old bengals.

We are playing a bottom tier schedule and barely eeking out wins. Wins are better than losses, but 3-2 does not make them 'good'.

dougdirt
10-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Thats exactly where I am in terms of feeling. I'll steal a peek, or watch a bit here and there but I still feel like...same old bengals.

We are playing a bottom tier schedule and barely eeking out wins. Wins are better than losses, but 3-2 does not make them 'good'.

Sure.... but we also have a rookie QB, a rookie #1 WR and then other WR's who have what, 10 combined starts between the two of them?

They aren't a real good team right now, but I can't lump them into the idea of "same old Bengals" because of what they are dealing with in terms of their players are skill positions on offense.

traderumor
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
While it is a "weak" schedule, look at the title of this thread. While I understand people not buying in to greatness on a 3-2 start, giving faint praise is really not fair considering the doom and gloom predictions. We've seen 1 or 2 win teams, and clearly this is not one of them. The D is decent and the O is making progress and getting more and more consistent. At this point, just fun to watch and refreshing to see quality young players growing.

Stray
10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't get the fans that can't buy into this team or are apprehensive to feel excited. If by buy in you mean purchasing tickets and merchandise, then okay I can understand that. We have had too many bad years to not enjoy the good when it comes along. I don't know how we'll finish this year, but I'm not going to worry about that and let it stop me from enjoying a young and exciting team in the present.

dougdirt
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
While it is a "weak" schedule, look at the title of this thread. While I understand people not buying in to greatness on a 3-2 start, giving faint praise is really not fair considering the doom and gloom predictions. We've seen 1 or 2 win teams, and clearly this is not one of them. The D is decent and the O is making progress and getting more and more consistent. At this point, just fun to watch and refreshing to see quality young players growing.

Yep. I remember the years where if Corey Dillon didn't rush for 175+, we had absolutely no chance of winning.

dabvu2498
10-09-2011, 08:56 PM

I can certainly relate, but this group seems to play consistently hard and doesn't have the antics of some of the folks who just left. No head shaking as they come off the field. Just playing. Win or lose, it's more enjoyable to watch.

Todd Gack
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I can certainly relate, but this group seems to play consistently hard and doesn't have the antics of some of the folks who just left. No head shaking as they come off the field. Just playing. Win or lose, it's more enjoyable to watch.

It's never been about the team with this franchise.

Sea Ray
10-09-2011, 09:57 PM

I'm getting this feeling for some reason that Benson's pissed that Scott got the winning TD. Just a gut feeling on my part

Redsfaithful
10-10-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm not going to let Mike Brown keep me from enjoying the team when they are successful, or even just better than expected. Andy Dalton and AJ Green are fun to watch and so is the d-line.

I obviously still don't think this is a playoff team, but they're competitive. And as far as the schedule goes, you can only play the schedule put in front of you. Right now they have a bad loss to Denver on the road, and another close loss to what looks like a decent 49ers team. They've been in every game. With so much youth and a new offensive coordinator I think they're overachieving.

R_Webb18
10-10-2011, 12:44 AM
there better than i thought they would be. also they look like they wanna be there playing hard. ever since the circus left ive liked this team. also no stupid penalties like past years.

GAC
10-10-2011, 06:07 AM

:thumbup:

Show some patience Bengal fans. You've got some youth on this team that needs to "gel" together as a unit; but I like what I am seeing.

I don't care if some say they have a weak schedule - and you did just beat a good Buffalo team last week - the objective is to get better.

And I like your defense (especially the front). Your LBers, led by a guy like Maualuga, is starting to prove themselves. Dalton, IMO, is gonna be a solid QB. And I think you're going to have a solid receiving corp, led by A.J.

You're 3-2, have Indy, bye, then Seattle. No reason why you shouldn't be 5-2 before hitting a 3 game stretch of Tenn, Pitt, Baltimore. Even if you're 5-5 after week 13 there should still be a lot of optimism when a majority thought, going into this season, you were going to be one of the worst, and lucky to win even a few games.

Redsfaithful
10-10-2011, 08:07 AM
If (big if) they could start 6-4 by beating Indy and Seattle, and then stealing one from Ten, Pitt, or Baltimore, things would get interesting. They'd still have three winnable games against Cleveland, St. Louis, and Arizona.

Getting way ahead of myself I know, and they're too young to count on them beating anyone for sure, but crazier things have happened.

bucksfan2
10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm not going to let Mike Brown keep me from enjoying the team when they are successful, or even just better than expected. Andy Dalton and AJ Green are fun to watch and so is the d-line.

Its sad that this attitude still hovers all around this team. I come into work after a win and I have a few co workers bash me for being a Bengals fan. At this point I really don't care, I don't care who the owner is, I don't care how bad the team has been in the past, I just like watching my home town team.

I obviously still don't think this is a playoff team, but they're competitive. And as far as the schedule goes, you can only play the schedule put in front of you. Right now they have a bad loss to Denver on the road, and another close loss to what looks like a decent 49ers team. They've been in every game. With so much youth and a new offensive coordinator I think they're overachieving.

The schedule is the schedule. The 49ers loss doesn't look like such a bad loss anymore. Heck even the Bronco's bad loss is pretty understandable considering it was Dalton's first full game and also playing a mile up in the air. The Bills win is starting to look more and more impressive. Its fun watching the development of the DLine and also hopefully are pitch and catch combo of Green and Dalton for a number of years. Its also nice to see an offensive coordinator who can make half time adjustments and call a game that suits the team for that given day. It did get boring in the 2nd half but it seemed like the Bengals were content just waiting until the 4th quarter to open up the playbook. If it weren't for a blown coverage then it wouldn't have been as nail biting as it ended up. Kudos to the defense who got me a fantasy TD late in the game! Those sure are nice.

Redsfaithful
10-10-2011, 08:47 AM
At this point I really don't care, I don't care who the owner is, I don't care how bad the team has been in the past, I just like watching my home town team.

This is where I'm at also. Decided before this season I'm not going to worry about it any more. It is what it is, Mike Brown's not going anywhere. Probably means way more ugly seasons than most NFL teams, but what can you do.

Also, looking at the schedule more, if they beat all the teams they are favored against and steal one more game going forward they'd have 9 wins as I mentioned in my last post. They also play Baltimore on the last day of the season where the Ravens might not have anything to play for.

Would be really interesting if a scenario arises where the Ravens could choose to lay down/rest starters against the Bengals to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs, for instance.

Also have to like that they are getting Adam Jones and Keith Rivers back after the bye. Assuming the team stays relatively healthy I think they can hang around all season.

RiverRat13
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
FWIW, Cincy's opponents are a combined 12-12 this year.

Brutus
10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
FWIW, Cincy's opponents are a combined 12-12 this year.

And 10-9 in games not involving Cincinnati.

Moreover, San Fran and Buffalo are a combined 7-1. So it's possible Cincinnati has at least played someone thus far.

If the Bengals can win the next two games and get to 5-2, we will get a good feel for their prospects when they get into the AFC North stretch of games there in the middle of the season.

pedro
10-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi, my name is Steve.

And I'm a Bengals fan.

I haven't lived I Ohio in almost 20 years and yet here I am..

I just can't bring myself to really care about another team.

Roy Tucker
10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Peter King has the Bengals at #15 in his Fine Fifteen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/10/Week5/2.html

Sea Ray
10-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Moreover, San Fran and Buffalo are a combined 7-1. So it's possible Cincinnati has at least played someone thus far.

Combined 7-1? Which one is undefeated?

Brutus
10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Combined 7-1? Which one is undefeated?

Combined 7-1 excluding Cincinnati is what I meant, though I didn't specify that a second time as I should have.

medford
10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I've come to the realization, like many others, I just can't quit the Bengals. Sure, I don't get hung up on losses like I used to, or even get all that excited about wins. I realize that under Mike Brown, the likelyhood of a terrible team is greater than the likelyhood of a good one, but as the pre-Kimo Van Assissin Carson Palmer showed me, the nature of the NFL is such that a team that can challenge for a super bowl is possible, and that is why I continue to hold out hope. As much as I'd love to find a new team to root for, I just can't get my heart fully in. I'll find teams that I enjoy watching in stretches, the Mike Alstat tampa teams w/ the new Uni's I loved, I went to a couple of colt games as a kid, so the marshal Faulk Colts that almost made the super bowl I loved, as well as some of the Peyton Manning teams. There will always be th '85 bears, but at the end of the day, I just can't form the attachment with any other team, they way I can w/ the Bengals. Same goes for the Reds, the Bulls, OSU football and Dayton Basketball.

So w/ that said, this has been a fun team to watch so far. They're far from perfect, but what did we expect. I feared this team wouldn't win more than 2 games all season, let alone 3 in their first 5. Baring a complete step back, or a major, career threatening injury to either Dalton or Greene I can't help but find myself compelled with this season. Wins and losses don't even matter, its the journey and the future that excite me. I see a team that has potential to be as good as any Bengals team in the past on the horizon. I have no doubt that having Mike Brown at the helm is a major obstacle to reaching the status of either of the super bowl teams, but the pieces are starting to get there for this team to develop into that kind of team in the next 2-3 seasons.

The schedule is the schedule, no need to place any value to the strength of schedule. The hopes of a playoff bid remain dim, despite a better than expected start for even the most optomistic of fans. If the Bengals stumble their way into the playoffs, they're certainly be more worthy than the Seahawks team of last year. In a world where computer rankings and polls don't mean squat, all that matters are wins and losses.

Sea Ray
10-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Combined 7-1 excluding Cincinnati is what I meant, though I didn't specify that a second time as I should have.

No, I should have gotten that. My "denseness"...:laugh:

bucksfan2
10-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Does anyone think Marvin is doing a much better job of coaching this season?

Also very few delay of game situations the Bengals have found themselves in.

Here is where hope gets you into trouble. The Bengals are seriously young and also seriously under the cap. Within a year or two they will have to spend some 95% of the cap per year. They are a team who should be in the situation to be able to lock up their current and future stars and still have some money to spend. With a good GM (:() this team would be in position to really solidify themselves as a AFC North contender. Unfortunately it all boils down to Mike Brown.

Stray
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Marvin seems refreshed this year. I think the egos that we had before wore him down, even in 09 he looked unhappy. He looks like he's really enjoying coaching these guys.

The Operator
10-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Also very few delay of game situations the Bengals have found themselves in. I'm pretty sure we can thank the absence of #9 for that. Not only was it obvious on audibles that he was checking to a run, Carson seemed completely unaware of the existence of a play clock about 95% of the time.

Dalton may not have the raw physical tools (although I think he's got more tools than some give him credit for) that Carson Palmer had, but I already prefer Dalton's huddle and sideline presence, as well as his game management abilities to Palmer's. The kid is impressive.

CTA513
10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure we can thank the absence of #9 for that. Not only was it obvious on audibles that he was checking to a run, Carson seemed completely unaware of the existence of a play clock about 95% of the time.

Dalton may not have the raw physical tools (although I think he's got more tools than some give him credit for) that Carson Palmer had, but I already prefer Dalton's huddle and sideline presence, as well as his game management abilities to Palmer's. The kid is impressive.

The offense ran pretty well when #9 was allowed to run it instead of waiting for Bratkowski to decide what he wanted to do.

It also helps that they no longer have a veteran WR who had problems lining up to go along with his false start problem even though hes been in the system for most of if not all of his career. That same WR is now with a better organization and has one of the better QBs in the league and is on pace to have one of his worst seasons in his career. Difference? His current team takes snaps away if he screws up instead of letting him keep playing.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-10-2011, 05:17 PM

The San Francisco 49ers (4-1) and Buffalo Bills (4-1) would beg to differ that this is a "bottom tier schedule" to this point. Ask the New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders and Philadelphia Eagles if they think the Bills are "bottom tier."

Of the 16-game schedules for the Bengals, Browns, Steelers and Ravens, 14 of the opponents are exactly the same. The other two are teams that finished in the same spot in the AFC West and East. So the Bengals get the Bills and Broncos; the Steelers get the Chiefs and Patriots.

Patriots > Broncos
Bills > Chiefs

And every AFC North team gets to play the Jaguars, Colts, Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals it's this divisions turn in the rotation to play the NFC West. It's not like the Bengals are getting any sort of advantage playing the Colts while the Steelers, Browns and Ravens are all playing the '85 Bears.

It's all a wash.

Redsfaithful
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure we can thank the absence of #9 for that. Not only was it obvious on audibles that he was checking to a run, Carson seemed completely unaware of the existence of a play clock about 95% of the time.

Starting to wonder more about Carson. Anyone else notice Dalton doesn't wear a mini-playbook on his wrist like Carson did? Could be the coordinator change, but I found it interesting.

CTA513
10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Starting to wonder more about Carson. Anyone else notice Dalton doesn't wear a mini-playbook on his wrist like Carson did? Could be the coordinator change, but I found it interesting.

Probably the coordinator change since Brady wears one along with other QBs.

Redsfaithful
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Probably the coordinator change since Brady wears one along with other QBs.

True, Brat's system was often said to be overly complicated. I'm probably reading too much into it.

paintmered
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I suppose this means the Bengals are out of the #SuckforLuck sweepstakes.

CTA513
10-11-2011, 12:21 AM
I suppose this means the Bengals are out of the #SuckforLuck sweepstakes.

Yes and the Colts are legit contenders for it.